PDA

View Full Version : For the love of trees.....

migo984
May 29th, 2015, 04:32 AM
I've been captivated by the beautiful trees here in Australia. This is a pencil sketch of the papery, fibrous bark of a mature Australian Tea Tree, growing in a local suburban street.

RuiFromUK
May 29th, 2015, 05:41 AM
Excellent sketch and very well exectuted with shades from almost plain white to deep black. When you come back I must invite you to our home to sketch our tea trees.

migo984
May 29th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Excellent sketch and very well exectuted with shades from almost plain white to deep black. When you come back I must invite you to our home to sketch our tea trees.

Thank you Rui. For a small sketch (less than A5), it took a surprisingly long time. I got very caught up in trying to capture the textures. I wish I had the skills & techniques to really do it justice, but nevertheless I still really enjoyed the process. It is a magnificent tree.
You are very lucky to have such trees at home

RuiFromUK
May 29th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Thank you Rui. For a small sketch (less than A5), it took a surprisingly long time. I got very caught up in trying to capture the textures. I wish I had the skills & techniques to really do it justice, but nevertheless I still really enjoyed the process. It is a magnificent tree.

You are most welcome. I enjoy painting and drawing but for the past couple of years I have been a very slack person. My wife wants me to go back to it.

BTW I should have said little tea trees. Do you know that tea trees are actually from the Camellia family? In a couple of years I should be able to obtain green tea from their leaves.

migo984
May 29th, 2015, 08:45 AM

You are most welcome. I enjoy painting and drawing but for the past couple of years I have been a very slack person. My wife wants me to go back to it.

BTW I should have said little tea trees. Do you know that tea trees are actually from the Camellia family? In a couple of years I should be able to obtain green tea from their leaves.

Those trees stand no chance! They'll be permanently de-nuded when they are mature enough to provide "tea leaves" Lol :)

I'm not sure but I think the Australian Tea Tree might be a different species (Leptospurmum)? I'm not good at botany :-(

Bogon07
May 31st, 2015, 07:50 PM
Nice drawing. You have an excellent eye for detail and the discipline to capture it.

Tea is usually made from Camellia sinensis varieties not the Leptospurmum 'Tea Tree' which if often harvested to produce Tea Tree Oil a pungent natural antiseptic.

migo984
June 1st, 2015, 04:37 AM
Thank you Bogon. I'm very lucky to be able to spend time here, sketching the fantastic Australian flora and fauna :)

RuiFromUK
June 1st, 2015, 05:59 AM
Bogon is quite correct. Tea (or Cha) comes from Camellia sinensis. There are two major varieties Camellia sinensis sinensis and Camellia sinensis assamica. Within these two main varieties there is a huge number of cultivars and hibrids.

My suspicion is that the two little trees are of a hybrid species to stand the colder climates of UK (even Scotland grows its own tea nowadays) and even the two of them are not of the same species with one having longer leaves than the second one with shorter but much thicker leaves and twigs.

Nowadays there are many teas that should not be called so as Bogon pointed out. At best they can be called teasines.

"They'll be permanently de-nuded when they are mature enough to provide "tea leaves" Lol :)" You really know me too well!

Uncle Bud
June 2nd, 2015, 02:45 PM
That is a great sketch, you have a great talent there. Thanks for sharing.

Bud.

Mr. Reader
June 2nd, 2015, 04:54 PM
Thank you Bogon. I'm very lucky to be able to spend time here, sketching the fantastic Australian flora and fauna :)

Do you have any pictures of emus, wombats or Tasmanian devils? Did you see any eucalyptus?

I have a spider but it is fake.Please do not squish it. It will not bite.

migo984
June 2nd, 2015, 05:57 PM
Do you have any pictures of emus, wombats or Tasmanian devils? Did you see any eucalyptus?

I have a spider but it is fake.Please do not squish it. It will not bite.

Urrghh! I hate spiders! That one looks pretty dangerous to me :jaw:

I haven't seen any emus, wombats or Tasmanian devils yet; I haven't even seen a kangaroo! :cry: But I have a few photos of beautiful flowering eucalyptus trees. As it's winter here the trees are now covered in their big hard seed pods. I'll look out a photo & post it here later.

migo984
June 2nd, 2015, 07:26 PM
That is a great sketch, you have a great talent there. Thanks for sharing.

Bud.

Thank you Bud. No "great talent" here. Just an enthusiastic sketcher :-)

OliverW
June 5th, 2015, 08:43 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous. You are incredibly talented.

Herry
June 6th, 2023, 12:11 PM
Pruning large trees can be a risky task, and it's reassuring to know that professional tree climbers are trained to handle such challenges safely. Their expertise and specialized equipment make a world of difference in ensuring the job is done right. https://treeservicebloomingtonil.com/services/storm-damage/

reinajk30
August 2nd, 2023, 10:51 AM
I've been captivated by the beautiful trees here in Australia. This is a pencil sketch of the papery, fibrous bark of a mature Australian Tea Tree, growing in a local suburban street.

it's awesome, have you ever tried to do smth like this with pen? by the way, have you ever used this service (https://myhomeworkdone.com/microbiology.html) to find specific details about microbiology while drawing?

Cyril
August 3rd, 2023, 05:36 AM
@migo984 , Nice sketch, very well executed in a pencil drawing.
I haven't seen any Tea tree but I am using lot of tea tree oil. But looking at your sketch I guess it should basically look like a real majestic tree.
They are very healing and powerful. The best tea tree oil seems to be based on Australian / or new Zealand I guess. I love eucalyptus oils too . So I guess eucalyptus has the same phycical appearance to Tea tree in size .

Herry
August 7th, 2023, 04:25 AM
Trees are vital for our environment, providing oxygen and supporting wildlife. I appreciate that your article emphasized the importance of responsible tree removal (https://www.mankatotreeservice.com) practices and the consideration of alternatives whenever possible.