PDA

View Full Version : Noodler's - Black Swan in English Roses

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 05:50 AM
I finally managed to track down both the Black Swan inks at a reasonable price. This is the first BSIER. I really quite like this one, it shades from a darkish red to almost black where it pools.

Very lubricated ink

Really nice shading

Very wet writing

Feathers on cheaper paper

Showsthrough on cheaper paper

No bleedthrough noticed

Quite water resistant

More difficult to clean out of pen, requires a lot of flushing

I'm pleased I got this isnk, it is very wet and lubricated and the nib just flows across the page. The ink is also very water resistant, and most of the ink stays put. There is some feathering with this ink on cheaper paper, and I wouldn't use it on copy type papers, this will be kept for good quality papers. I really like the deep red undertone to this one, which leads to really pleasant shading, from quite a dark red through to almost black.

Showthrough is evident with this one, although bleedthrough is kept to a minimum. I think this ink will be used more for personal writing rather than at work, its a very 'in your face' colour, and wouldn't have thought suitable for business use. It's taken me a long while to get these inks, and I don't regret it. I will be using this ink a lot, as I really like the colour and shading you get. The bad point to this ink is that cleaning your pen afterwards will take some time. I had to do many flushes, and two shots in the ultrasonic, it does however completely go from the pen if you are patient.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Cheers,

Bud.

migo984
May 29th, 2015, 08:33 AM
That looks good from that pen. I have this ink but don't use it much. Your review has motivated me to dig it out of storage when I get back home.
Looking forward to your review of BSIAR.
(Where did you source them from in the end?)

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 10:54 AM
That looks good from that pen. I have this ink but don't use it much. Your review has motivated me to dig it out of storage when I get back home.
Looking forward to your review of BSIAR.
(Where did you source them from in the end?)

Hi Migo,

I got them from the eBay seller you mentioned £12 a bottle, I thought that was a good price delivered. Since I've not had them before, I don't know which version of BSIAR I've got, I was aware it changed colour slightly, then changed back. When I write with it, it looks Burgundy, but dries more Purpley. I'm glad you're going to give it another go, BSIER is really a great colour in the right pen.

Cheers,

Bud

Special K
June 6th, 2015, 01:10 AM
My most recent Noodlers purchase. Great color

Jon Szanto
June 6th, 2015, 01:25 AM
Interesting, Bud. My bottles of both BSIAR and BSIER both date from the first year of manufacture (AFAIK), and I've just used them sparingly. My inks have always exhibited the the following traits: both start as a dark red, with the English shading to a very dark brown, while the Aussie version shades to a dark purple/black.

I've always tended to favor the Aussie, as the other was too 'dried blood-like'. I'm glad you got them, because they are rather unique inks.

Bogon07
June 10th, 2015, 09:29 PM
I've always felt my BSIER tended towards a brownish red, like a lighter version of Red-Black at times.

According to Goulet's site TheBlueNose Bear is also related to the BlackSwan style of inks.

"Blue Nose Bear doesn't have a Black Swan in its name (thank goodness, it's confusing enough just with Australian Roses and English Roses!), it certainly has the characteristics that make in a Black Swan.
This ink is a teal blue color, with a halo of sky blue.
Nathan Tardif designed this ink to have an increased amount of halo compared to the other inks"
Brian Goulet also did a video review of BNB.
http://www.gouletpens.com/noodlers-blue-nose-bear-3oz-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/N19068