PDA

View Full Version : 20 Best Vintage Pens

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 07:13 AM
I'll add people's suggestions, once agreed upon with at least 4 "thanks", to the list in this post. (Please vote if you have any educated opinion!)To make this work, make one suggestion per post, with explanation or defense as needed. Of course, 'best' must be defined to some degree...I think a broad, multi-faceted definition may prove most rewarding.

THE LIST: (so far)
Mabie Todd Swan series
Parker "51"
Pelikan 400, 400n, 400nn, 500
Onoto plunger fillers (1905-1958)
Eversharp Doric (with KBeezie's post included)
Sheaffer Balance
Esterbrook J
Waterman's Patrician
Pelikan 100, 100n
Montblanc 14X series
Parker Vacumatic
Sheaffer Snorkel (with KBeezie's post)
Wahl Eversharp Gold Seal Oversize

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 07:54 AM
Parker Duofold

Although there was little that was particularly revolutionary about its design or filler, and plenty of equally good copies can be found (from brands like Aurora, Osmia, and countless American makers), its wide availability today and its significance to pen marketing and sales make it a classic--it was the first pen, perhaps, to have a widely recognized name.

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Mabie Todd Swan - Model number 300B (But any model in reality)

A classic of it's time, solid lever filler pen, with wonderful smooth nib, many can be found with varying degrees of flex. It's bulletproof design means that a lot of these are still going strong and providing pleasure after 60, 70 and even 80 years.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Mabie Todd Swan

A classic of it's time, solid lever filler pen, with wonderful smooth nib, many can be found with varying degrees of flex. It's bulletproof design means that a lot of these are still going strong and providing pleasure after 60, 70 and even 80 years.

I think there are many pens which used that name...what specific model are you thinking of?

migo984
May 29th, 2015, 08:27 AM
Mabie Todd Swan

I think there are many pens which used that name...what specific model are you thinking of?

Aren't there lots of models of the Duofold too?

migo984
May 29th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Yes, I have a few Swans.
Uncle Bud did specify the lever-fill Swan. I guess I'm still unclear about your criteria for nominating a pen.....

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Yes, I have a few Swans. I guess I'm still unclear about the criteria for nominating a pen.....

I was very unspecific; here are a few:
* model specific line (if not a specific pen model itself)
*made with intent of necessary use, not a niche luxury product, at least before 1980
That's about it I think, though maybe there should be some others.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 08:46 AM
Yes, I have a few Swans.
Uncle Bud did specify the lever-fill Swan. I guess I'm still unclear about your criteria for nominating a pen.....

There were many lever filling Swans with hugely varying designs, but I guess you're right: if it is really a model name, it is specific enough.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Parker "51" (all models--I think I agree, broader lines are actually better candidates)

No explanation needed.

migo984
May 29th, 2015, 09:01 AM
Thank you, that helps :) Apologies - I confuse easily.
(I just thought the US & UK versions of the Duofold were different, hence my question about models).

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Thank you, that helps :) Apologies - I confuse easily.
(I just thought the US & UK versions of the Duofold were different, hence my question about models).

Ah yes...the 50s Duofolds are just as different from their predecessors as the Swans...but I meant the 1920s and 30s model.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Pelikan 400, 400n, 400nn, 500

Widely available, classic design, large nib selection.

KBeezie
May 29th, 2015, 09:57 AM
If I had to come up with my list (just from what I've tried), and best is subjective, but generally speaking many of the moderns in the same price points hardly hold a candle to them.

- Esterbrooks (primarily the Js)
- Sheaffer Touchdowns and Snorkels
- Sheaffer Balances and Craftsman (lever and vac-fil)
- Parker Vacumatics
- Parker 51 (aero and vacumatic), 45, 21
- Pelikan 140, 400 (and n, nn)
- Eversharp Skyline, Doric
- Waterman 52, 14, 12

To name a few.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Esterbrook J

Affordable, reliable, easy to repair, beautiful, and customizable (screw in nibs), the J is a must have for many, and an obvious choice.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Parker Vacumatic

Another masterpiece of marketing...but more revolutionary than its predecessor in its design and filling system. The arrow clip design proved highly influential to many pen companies for decades to come, as did the two-tone nib, the distinctive ink view design...etc. Relatively reliable, widely available in many variants, not too hard to restore.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Sheaffer Balance

The streamlined design premiered on this pen made it very popular, and opened the door to a whole new era of pen styling. Widely available in many variants, including two filling systems.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Waterman's CF

Masterpiece of design, c/c filler revolutionized the fountain pen market, widely available and very reliable.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Montblanc 14X series.

The streamlined cigar shape, the clip, and the trim have had perhaps the greatest design influence of any pen. It doesn't hurt that they are wonderful writers and have awesome telescopic pistons. Using one today is certainly possible, but not for the careless, as these pens can often command well over $1000.

Cob
May 29th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Any Onoto with the brilliant plunger vacuum filling system. Invented in 1905 and produced until the 1950s, this clever system is a pleasure to use. And many of the Onotos had lovely nibs, though in my experience not proportionately as many as did Mabie Todd - especially Swans - which I would venture to say made the best nibs of all.

Cob

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Waterman W5 Lever Filler

Another great vintage Waterman, with nice springy flexy nib.

Sevenof9
May 29th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Lets go for something different: a Soennecken 111 with a B stub nib.....jum. Beautiful material, excellent piston filler and exquisite nib performance. 7

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Lets go for something different: a Soennecken 111 with a B stub nib.....jum. Beautiful material, excellent piston filler and exquisite nib performance. 7

No nib size selection allowed--perhaps nib type (flex or nail), but nib size...no. ;) Nonetheless, that is a very interesting suggestion...too expensive to have any 'mass' appeal, but certainly one of my grail pens. Perhaps because of the design, the material (s), and the filler (an innovative click piston), it deserves to be on the list, though I think it should be combined with its larger sister, the 222.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Sheaffer Snorkel (all types)

Pretty much needs no explanation...

Scrawler
May 29th, 2015, 11:59 AM
There is a high probability that this list will include mostly the better known pens. Other than the Swan and Onoto already mentioned, in my personal opinion there are two vintage pens that are in the category of "best", for completely different reasons. The first is the 1937 Canadian made Parker Televisor. This was the first pen where 100% of the parts were sourced and made in Canada. The nibs are very flexible and they have a transparent window on the section that allows the ink level to be seen. They were made of beautifully patterned celluloid. They are sadly rare and hard to find. The other pen that I would classify as a "best" pen is the Esterbrook J Transitional model. These were made of spectacularly beautiful celluloid, which is thick and strong. They allow the easy change of nibs and are cheap and plentiful. They are highly reliable and easy to repair.

AntidOto
May 29th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Aurora 88 designed by Marcello Nizzoli

Inspired by the Parker "51" but with a piston filler and a celluloid body and hard rubber section. An iconic italian fp, very reliable after 60 years.

AntidOto
May 29th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Omas 557/F (faceted) in celluloid

The last models with extra lucens semi flex nibs, piston filler system, a good alternative to the celluloid mb 146

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 01:25 PM
LUS Giubileo 53

Highly Innovative nib design.

Deb
May 29th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Yes, I have a few Swans.

There were many lever filling Swans with hugely varying designs, but I guess you're right: if it is really a model name, it is specific enough.

Mabie Todd were very conservative. There were superficial changes in shape but a lever filler is a lever filler and the superb nibs remained the same until almost the end of the company. If I were pushed, I'd say the 1920s SF230 is the best, purely because of its aesthetics, but the writing experience with a post-war cigar-shaped 3260 is indistinguishable from its predecessor.

mhosea
May 29th, 2015, 02:37 PM
This may seem a bit pedestrian to some, but

Sheaffer "Flat-Top" pens, principally the "oversize" variety (code is 8C for black Radite, for example, J8C for jade, and so forth). They must have looked dated when the Balance arrived on the scene, but the lever-filled Balance "improved" on the functionality of the so-called "flat-tops" in no way at all, and the Balance also has a much more fragile cap lip. The 8C Flat-tops are big pens, very reliable, and very practical writers. The nibs are mostly stiff, offering no line variation at all, but they tend to be top-notch writers.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 02:43 PM

Sheaffer "Flat-Top" pens, principally the "oversize" variety (code is 8C for black Radite, for example, J8C for jade, and so forth). They must have looked dated when the Balance arrived on the scene, but the lever-filled Balance "improved" on the functionality of the so-called "flat-tops" in no way at all, and the Balance also has a much more fragile cap lip. The 8C Flat-tops are big pens, very reliable, and very practical writers. The nibs are mostly stiff, offering no line variation at all, but they tend to be top-notch writers.

The flat tops are certainly easy to repair and widely available in many versions, but what do they have (or what did they do, etc...) that really makes them special? Does a pen need to be 'special' to be on the list?

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Eversharp Doric

Unless they really did copy Armando Simoni (the 'as' in OMAS), this was the first faceted celluloid pen...brought art deco styling on pens to a height. Come in many variates, can be found with flexible nibs. Also very innovative: some models sported ink shutoff valves, vacuum fillers, and adjustable nibs!

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Waterman's 52

The quintessential vintage American pen. Nibs to die for (variety too), easy to repair, many varieties... like some others, it doesn't need proof.

jar
May 29th, 2015, 03:01 PM
http://www.fototime.com/3C2F57264C80320/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7A113FCC7B901B1/xlarge.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/7BE35CBF5DA737F/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/85EBCF69D082F54/large.jpg

Cob
May 29th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Yes, I have a few Swans.

Mabie Todd were very conservative. There were superficial changes in shape but a lever filler is a lever filler and the superb nibs remained the same until almost the end of the company. If I were pushed, I'd say the 1920s SF230 is the best, purely because of its aesthetics, but the writing experience with a post-war cigar-shaped 3260 is indistinguishable from its predecessor.

And Mabie Todd's wonderful patterns/materials from the late 1920s and up to the War deserve a mention; also the deathless elegance of some of the designs in that period.

Cob

fqgouvea
May 29th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Eversharp Skyline, especially with a flexible or adjustable nib. My experience of vintage pens is very limited, but of the ones I have tried this one is reliably fun to write with and has a distinctive look. Very nice.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

mhosea
May 29th, 2015, 03:15 PM

The flat tops are certainly easy to repair and widely available in many versions, but what do they have (or what did they do, etc...) that really makes them special? Does a pen need to be 'special' to be on the list?

In point of fact, I don't think "special" should be a top-tier consideration for "best". Perhaps I am putting a lot of weight on practicality. If you want the 20 most "special" pens, then flat-tops would not make the list, but some of those that would aren't necessarily very durable or desirable for use. The flat-tops deserve to be there at least as much as the early Duofolds, IMHO. They are more durable than Balance and are more practical "pocket pens" for everyday use than most vintage pens you'd probably think are more "special". Perhaps the Balance inspired "cigar shaped" pens (or rather, its commercial success did), but the old Flat-top was good enough to be resurrected in the form of the No-Nonsense and Connaisseur. I think the Parker Vacumatic filling system was very innovative, and the Vacumatic pens were attractive and functional, and yet, because they are poorly insulated, only the later Parker 51 Vacumatic was a top-tier pen for the pocket. It's because the others did not have the feed capacity to prevent entirely flooding due to heating. If you told me I had to choose just one pen that was manufactured before 1940 to use day in and day out for every kind of writing, I'd probably choose an 8C.

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I'm sorry but my first vintage pen, the Mabie Todd Swan 300B still knocks lumps out of the rest. Glorious nib, great size and really comfy section. Maybe I got the best first, but none since have even scratched the surface of the Mabie Todd Swan 300B.

Laura N
May 29th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I think really all you need is a Parker 51 and you are good. ;)

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 03:49 PM

Hmmmm!

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 04:04 PM

I've had loads of 51s but none live up to the Swan.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 04:16 PM
I'm sorry but my first vintage pen, the Mabie Todd Swan 300B still knocks lumps out of the rest. Glorious nib, great size and really comfy section. Maybe I got the best first, but none since have even scratched the surface of the Mabie Todd Swan 300B.

What does this pen look like? I have tried searching it, and no results with that exact name come up. If you have any pictures, that'd be awesome...

Cob
May 29th, 2015, 04:22 PM
No one can gainsay the significance of the Parker 51 in the history and indeed evolution of the fountain pen, but write with one?

No thank you; I tried an old Lamy the other day that I was repairing; ugh! same syndrome - smooth and hopeless.

I have just taken a break from trying to catch up with my recently-neglected journal; writing with a 110 year-old Mabie Todd & Bard Swan eye-dropper and a late 1930s Swan L212/60...

Cob

Laura N
May 29th, 2015, 04:22 PM

No worries: we like what we like. At least we each have a short Top Twenty list. :)

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 04:25 PM

What does this pen look like? I have tried searching it, and no results with that exact name come up. If you have any pictures, that'd be awesome...

It's on this site, under 'Pen Photos', my first foray into vintage. http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/11814-First-Foray-into-Vintage, and still the best.

Hope you like it, I sure do.

Laura N
May 29th, 2015, 04:26 PM
No one can gainsay the significance of the Parker 51 in the history and indeed evolution of the fountain pen, but write with one?

No thank you; I tried an old Lamy the other day that I was repairing; ugh! same syndrome - smooth and hopeless.

I have just taken a break from trying to catch up with my recently-neglected journal; writing with a 110 year-old Mabie Todd & Bard Swan eye-dropper and a late 1930s Swan L212/60...

Cob

Oh, I shouldn't admit this, but I am one of those people who prefers to write with a smooth, harder nib, rather than a flexy nib. But I absolutely understand that most people on fountain pen forums feel the opposite. :)

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 04:27 PM

In point of fact, I don't think "special" should be a top-tier consideration for "best". Perhaps I am putting a lot of weight on practicality. If you want the 20 most "special" pens, then flat-tops would not make the list, but some of those that would aren't necessarily very durable or desirable for use. The flat-tops deserve to be there at least as much as the early Duofolds, IMHO. They are more durable than Balance and are more practical "pocket pens" for everyday use than most vintage pens you'd probably think are more "special". Perhaps the Balance inspired "cigar shaped" pens (or rather, its commercial success did), but the old Flat-top was good enough to be resurrected in the form of the No-Nonsense and Connaisseur. I think the Parker Vacumatic filling system was very innovative, and the Vacumatic pens were attractive and functional, and yet, because they are poorly insulated, only the later Parker 51 Vacumatic was a top-tier pen for the pocket. It's because the others did not have the feed capacity to prevent entirely flooding due to heating. If you told me I had to choose just one pen that was manufactured before 1940 to use day in and day out for every kind of writing, I'd probably choose an 8C.

Yes...this is the great dilemma with these sort of lists. I was imagining a list that included pens for varying reasons--some for practicality, some for their looks, some for their innovation...etc. I certainly agree with you about the flat top in regards to its reliability. Vs. the Duofold, it gets tricky.

Cob
May 29th, 2015, 04:34 PM

Cob

Oh, I shouldn't admit this, but I am one of those people who prefers to write with a smooth, harder nib, rather than a flexy nib. But I absolutely understand that most people on fountain pen forums feel the opposite. :)

Ha ha! Why not "admit " it? Why the "should not"?

I have to say that I might feel more favourably about the 51 if I tried one with a nice broad stub - yes a firm stub or better stub italic is fine.

But I do like to see the nib-maker's fine work - as in this Osmia for example - another favourite of mine:

Cob

Uncle Bud
May 29th, 2015, 04:39 PM

No worries: we like what we like. At least we each have a short of Top Twenty list. :)

It's different strokes for different folks. I really like the smooth flex nibs, but then again in different circumstances I do prefer a hard nib, overall I like the expression of an even flexy nib.

Different strokes for different folks as they say

Laura N
May 29th, 2015, 04:53 PM

Cob

Oh, it puts me outside the realm of the cool kids, that's all. :) Or at least the mainstream on fountain pen forums. Everyone wants flex, flex, flex. Everyone likes vintage soft nibs. Everyone presumes that everyone else feels the same way. It's sort of the orthodoxy. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

No, I like the good old American 51, which "writes like a ballpoint," and looks "boring." Or so say some/many people. Gosh, I even prefer the fine nib 51. And I'm only slightly embarrassed to admit it.

(She hangs her head in shame and slinks away.)

Z-Tab
May 29th, 2015, 07:33 PM

No nib size selection allowed--perhaps nib type (flex or nail), but nib size...no. ;) Nonetheless, that is a very interesting suggestion...too expensive to have any 'mass' appeal, but certainly one of my grail pens. Perhaps because of the design, the material (s), and the filler (an innovative click piston), it deserves to be on the list, though I think it should be combined with its larger sister, the 222.

The 222 series are smaller than their counterparts in the 111 series. I would say that all of Soennecken's click fillers should be included among the greatest, the 111, 222, and 410-420 series pens.

For another Soennecken, I'll nominate the Rheingold & Prasident pens (as a single item for the list), which have the ingenious shrouded button filler system.

fountainpenkid
May 29th, 2015, 10:34 PM

The 222 series are smaller than their counterparts in the 111 series. I would say that all of Soennecken's click fillers should be included among the greatest, the 111, 222, and 410-420 series pens.

For another Soennecken, I'll nominate the Rheingold & Prasident pens (as a single item for the list), which have the ingenious shrouded button filler system.

What sort of influence did Soennecken have on the pen market in Europe?

Cob
May 30th, 2015, 02:38 AM

You are obviously knowledgeable about this marque.

I have a Soenecken

You are obviously knowledgeable about this marque.

I have a Soennecken 103 in stripey material - pale green with thin black stripes; the small gold nib is quite flexible and pleasant to use. The piston filler is elegant in its simplicity and is probably quite late, as it used a rubber seal rather than cork. This has been a pain - I had to struggle to find suitable O rings to get it to work.

Cob

Jon Szanto
May 30th, 2015, 02:58 AM
Don't worry, folks, I'm going to take Laura out on the town for a night or two and loosen her up. You watch: in no time at all she'll be posting pics of all her new blingy, flamboyantly colorful pens with noodles wet enough to make BoBo Olsen weep tears of Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier.

Or not. :)

And I am lousy lousy lousy at lists. I have a number of pens I feel qualify, but I'll just leave it at that.

migo984
May 30th, 2015, 03:30 AM
Waterman W5 Lever Filler

Another great vintage Waterman, with nice springy flexy nib.

+1
One of my Top Ten pens.

akapulko2020
May 30th, 2015, 06:01 AM

Cob

Oh, it puts me outside the realm of the cool kids, that's all. :) Or at least the mainstream on fountain pen forums. Everyone wants flex, flex, flex. Everyone likes vintage soft nibs. Everyone presumes that everyone else feels the same way. It's sort of the orthodoxy. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

No, I like the good old American 51, which "writes like a ballpoint," and looks "boring." Or so say some/many people. Gosh, I even prefer the fine nib 51. And I'm only slightly embarrassed to admit it.

(She hangs her head in shame and slinks away.)
I think I coudl've loved the 51 ,but I dislike hooded nibs. So, off to finding me a 45 sometime in the near future :-)

carlos.q
May 30th, 2015, 07:11 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Pelikan 100/100N series: the original piston filler, built like a tank, interchangeable nibs, easy to repair and some of the most expressive nibs out there. :thumb:

fountainpenkid
May 30th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Conklin Nozac

Spectacular materials, beautiful art deco design, and among the only American piston fillers. Comes in many varieties fitting both user and collector's needs, and, oh, again, that celluloid!

pica pica
May 30th, 2015, 06:47 PM
I'm not a MB fan, but there is one model I adore, the 252 (and the whole 25x series), which fortunately can still be found in reasonable prices when compared to other MBs. It's a reliable, modestly looking, perfectly ballanced and beautifly streamlined pen with a lovely soft nib.

HughC
May 30th, 2015, 09:07 PM
Sheaffer sterling silver Imperial Touchdown.

Attractive, nicely weighted and not overpriced for a genuine high quality pen.

Regards
Hugh

jar
May 31st, 2015, 08:11 AM
Sheaffer sterling silver Imperial Touchdown.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19277&stc=1

Regards
Hugh

And the Cartridge/Converter cousins.

http://www.fototime.com/DF9EDE80D711CCE/xlarge.jpg

fountainpenkid
May 31st, 2015, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=HughC;132122]Sheaffer sterling silver Imperial Touchdown.

Regards
Hugh

What about the Imperial in general?

Uncle Bud
May 31st, 2015, 09:25 AM
Sheaffer Targa

A pen for the masses, comes in loads of finishes, has the inlaid nib, and can be found in very good condition.

Bud.

fountainpenkid
May 31st, 2015, 09:32 AM
Sheaffer Targa

A pen for the masses, comes in loads of finishes, has the inlaid nib, and can be found in very good condition.

Bud.

Why the Targa over the Imperial? Do you think they both have a place on the list?

Uncle Bud
May 31st, 2015, 09:47 AM
Sheaffer Targa

Bud.

Why the Targa over the Imperial? Do you think they both have a place on the list?

For me, the Targa was introduced for a very different reason to the Imperial, the Targa was designed to bring a failing company back to the masses, and boy did it work. Simple elegant design, inlaid nib, available in a number of sizes to suit all types of hands. If I had to pick only one from a manufacturer, it would be this over the Imperial. I think they are both classic for different reasons.

Cheers,

Bud.

P.S. I love this thread, it's interesting to see what others think, and like, coz I'm just getting started on my vintage voyage, I have only got 3 vintage pens.

jar
May 31st, 2015, 10:53 AM

The Imperial and Triumph Imperial are nice pens but not quite up to the PFM/Legacy family status.

http://www.fototime.com/2B4F4393524FA7C/large.jpg

fountainpenkid
May 31st, 2015, 11:05 AM
Sheaffer Pen For Men

One of the last large pens made for a large demographic. Bold, comfortable design, snorkel system, inlaid nib, many versions...

HughC
May 31st, 2015, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=HughC;132122]Sheaffer sterling silver Imperial Touchdown.

Regards
Hugh

I'm not a fan of the low end Imperials but the SS and gold finish models are excellent pens. I disagree with Jar as I see little quality difference between the high end Imperials and the PFM/Legacy, the difference is feel in hand. I do prefer both those styles to the Targa from a user point myself.

Regards
Hugh

Cob
May 31st, 2015, 06:01 PM
Mabie Todd elegance: a sownder (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Sownder) of Swans and each one has a lovely nib I promise.

Cob

fountainpenkid
June 1st, 2015, 03:27 PM
While making a group list is certainly interesting (please keep making suggestions!), I think it is just as much fascinating to hear other's complete lists.
Here's my list, in no particular order:
Pens I've owned in italics.
1.Parker "51"
2.Sheaffer Snorkel
3.Pelikan 400
4.Lamy 2000
5.Sheaffer Balance
6.Soennecken 111 and 222
7.OMAS Lucens
8.Parker Vacumatic
9.Mabie Todd Swan
10.Aurora 88 (Nizzoli)
11.Aurora Asterope
12.Mont Blanc 14X series
13.Parker 61
14.Pilot Capless
15.Conklin Nozac
16.Waterman's H.R lever fillers (52,7...)
17.Chilton Long Island pneumatic fillers
18.Zerollo Duo Color
19.Waterman CF
20.Waterman's Saftey pens

What's yours?

jar
June 1st, 2015, 04:26 PM
I disagree with Jar as I see little quality difference between the high end Imperials and the PFM/Legacy, the difference is feel in hand. I do prefer both those styles to the Targa from a user point myself.

Regards
Hugh

I too see no quality difference rather a status difference. the PFM/Legacy family were marketed as the top of the line and there really is a vast difference in feel.

HughC
June 1st, 2015, 08:53 PM
I disagree with Jar as I see little quality difference between the high end Imperials and the PFM/Legacy, the difference is feel in hand. I do prefer both those styles to the Targa from a user point myself.

Regards
Hugh

I too see no quality difference rather a status difference. the PFM/Legacy family were marketed as the top of the line and there really is a vast difference in feel.

The Imperial line came in Masterpiece form (as well as sterling silver), something the PFM didn't ( excluding the limited UK PFM Masterpiece not offered for sale) which price wise put it at the top of the Sheaffer range.

jar
June 1st, 2015, 09:24 PM

Regards
Hugh

The Imperial line came in Masterpiece form (as well as sterling silver), something the PFM didn't ( excluding the limited UK PFM Masterpiece not offered for sale) which price wise put it at the top of the Sheaffer range.

But the Legacy family does come in about nine or ten different Sterling silver versions.

HughC
June 1st, 2015, 09:59 PM

Regards
Hugh

But the Legacy family does come in about nine or ten different Sterling silver versions.

While true it needs to be noted the original Imperial line had long ceased (1983) before the Legacy(1995) came along, effectively killed by the Targa. Also when the PFM was discontinued the Imperial line remained, so while a comparison to the PFM is possible to extend that to the Legacy from a different time frame is a bit harsh on the Imperial. During the early '70's the Imperial was top of the line and even lumping the PFM and Legacy together may overlook the differences between the two a bit ( weight, snorkel/lack of ) . From my user perspective I find my PFM V and my Imperial 797 have more in common than the PFM and Legacy, I think it's the weight difference having a greater affect than the diameter on me.

Regards
Hugh

southpaw52
June 2nd, 2015, 06:45 AM
Esterbrook Dollar, Transitional, J, LJ. SJ, the best everyday vintage pens.

Wahl
June 2nd, 2015, 02:26 PM
Vintage pens, to me that means from the 20/30´s, here is my list, pens I collect or have collected. In no special order.

Parker Duofold Senior
Waterman Patrician
Sheaffer Lifetime OS
Sheaffer Balance OS
Conklin Endura Senior
Conklin Nozac Oversize
Wahl Eversharp OS Gold Seal Personal Point
Wahl Eversharp Doric OS
Any OMAS from that period
Any Aurora from that period

Uncle Bud
June 2nd, 2015, 02:39 PM
While making a group list is certainly interesting (please keep making suggestions, I think it is just as much fascinating to hear other's complete lists.
Here's my list, in no particular order:
Pens I've owned in italics.
1.Parker "51"
2.Sheaffer Snorkel
3.Pelikan 400
4.Lamy 2000
5.Sheaffer Balance
6.Soennecken 111 and 222
7.OMAS Lucens pump fillers
8.Parker Vacumatic
9.Mabie Todd Swan
10.Aurora 88 (Nizzoli)
11.Aurora Asterope
12.Mont Blanc 14X series
13.Parker 61
14.Pilot Capless
15.Conklin Nozac
16.Waterman's H.R lever fillers (52,7...)
17.Chilton Long Island pneumatic fillers
18.Zerollo Duo Color
19.Waterman CF
20.Waterman's Saftey pens

What's yours?

Wow, I'd have to think about that carefully, I don't have much vintage knowledge, but maybe from a vintage newbie point of view it might be interesting to see how views change with experience.

Bud.

fountainpenkid
June 3rd, 2015, 09:47 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Pelikan 100/100N series: the original piston filler, built like a tank, interchangeable nibs, easy to repair and some of the most expressive nibs out there. :thumb:

How does this compare with the 400 in terms of its ''listability"? I think the 400 not only has the benefits you mentioned, but also an iconic design to go with it.

Procyon
June 3rd, 2015, 11:01 AM
Waterman's hard rubber 5X series, including overlays 45x, 55x, and 055x from the years 1915-1930 or so. The x can be 2,4,5,6, or 8 with increasing size of nib and pen body (except pen bodies were the same for 2 and 4 nib sizes). This is a truly classic pen, which kept Waterman successful for years. The pens now range in price from fairly inexpensive to extremely costly. They are famous for having (mostly) flexible nibs and being simple and reliable.

carlos.q
June 3rd, 2015, 11:27 AM

How does this compare with the 400 in terms of its ''listability"? I think the 400 not only has the benefits you mentioned, but also an iconic design to go with it.

Simple! The 100/100N series IS the original and iconic piston filler, with its no-nonsense ink view window, that was later copied by many pen manufacturers. While the 400 nibs are very nice, IMHO they pale in comparison to the 100/100N nibs.

Procyon
June 3rd, 2015, 11:54 AM
Wahl-Eversharp Gold Seal Oversize (Deco Band) pens. Big, bold, expensive then, and expensive now.

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_116/gallery_6983_116_175221.jpg (http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/4545-deco-bands-01/)

Procyon
June 3rd, 2015, 12:04 PM
Waterman Patricians 1929 - 1938. A very expensive pen brought out at exactly the wrong time - the beginning of the Great Depression. A great pen.

http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/uploads/1327952424/gallery_6983_116_85743.jpg (http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?/gallery/image/996-watermans-patrician-collection/)

RobC
June 3rd, 2015, 03:02 PM
This list is in need of the Parker 45. Stylish, solid, dependable, affordable then and now, great to write with and a hat full of nib types to boot!

fountainpenkid
June 3rd, 2015, 06:36 PM
Triad Tri Pen

The only triangular fountain pen from its time, these pens also are stunningly beautiful and very well made. Their rarity makes them not really suitable for daily use (much more so than the Mont Blanc 14X series), but I think this list should have at least two "unobtanium" pens on it! For an excellent writeup on the pen's interesting history, look here: http://www.vintagepens.com/Triad.shtml

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-2962-1176809803.jpg

Cob
June 4th, 2015, 03:31 AM
Triad Tri Pen

The only triangular fountain pen from its time, these pens also are stunningly beautiful and very well made. Their rarity makes them not really suitable for daily use (much more so than the Mont Blanc 14X series), but I think this list should have at least two "unobtanium" pens on it! For an excellent writeup on the pen's interesting history, look here: http://www.vintagepens.com/Triad.shtml

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-2962-1176809803.jpg

Fascinating, many thanks.

Cob

Fiddlermatt
June 5th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Those middle two Patricians. . .Wow! Wow! Wow!

pajaro
June 7th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Sheaffer Balance. I have never liked the styling of this pen. Pointy-headed hoody. They do work, though.

It's hard to pan any Sheaffers, because all seem to work at least pretty well, if not outstandingly.

I like the Sheaffer Cadet, which was an accidental discovery for me. The Touchdown filler, the choice of screw-in nib units from EF to broad stub and the fact that all of mine seem always able to write right off make this a better pen than the Esterbrook J. I don't even use Esterbrooks after finding the Sheaffer Cadet.

D.C. Wright
June 7th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I will recommend the Conway Stewart # 28 series. Reliable, attractive, readily available, and a stalwart in English writing from the late forties through the 50's. Many other Conways will qualify as well, and should be considered.
By the way, we probably ought to consider the Aurora 88, Parker 75, and Sheaffer PFM - just a thought.
D.C.

fountainpenkid
June 9th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Parker 75

Parker's enduring modern icon sported two innovations--a four-sided ridged grip designed for writing precision and comfort, and and an adjustable nib. If you like well weighted nicely sized pens, this is heaven. The design set a new aesthetic for the age, and still influences Parker pens today (mostly the Premier).

catbert
June 9th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Parker 75

Parker's enduring modern icon sported two innovations--a four-sided ridged grip designed for writing precision and comfort, and and an adjustable nib. If you like well weighted nicely sized pens, this is heaven. The design set a new aesthetic for the age, and still influences Parker pens today (mostly the Premier).

Used one for several years at school and university. Still have it. Still a favourite. Only recently learned about the adjustable nib. Wasn't that first introduced in the Parker VP?

I think of the grip as three-sided but on close inspection it looks like six.

pengeezer
June 9th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Triad Tri Pen

Very nice,fountainpenkid! Is it yours? Me likey the celluloid,especially the pattern.

John

pengeezer
June 9th, 2015, 09:37 PM
I know it's been added(of sorts)but I would also recommend the Chilton Wing-flow. I'll also add one more--the
Yard-O-Led pocket mini(OK,it's not vintage,but for such a small pen it's a very comfortable writer!).

John

FredRydr
June 10th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Conklin crescent filler, most any size, but in black chased hard rubber. It's just a classic pen, so archaic-looking. Of course, Mark Twain's ad campaign just adds that touch to make it special in this 20-pen collection.

Fred

P.S. I went through the thread and added my "thank you" to the pens I agree are "classics." Many of the suggestions are more valuable or "desirable" than what I consider "classics" (such as my Mabie Todd Swan mottled HR Eternal with factory stub nib), but we can't have everything, can we?

fountainpenkid
June 11th, 2015, 08:05 PM
Aurora Asterope

Mind-bogglingly rare and just as beautiful, but most of all, an incredible innovation, even today.

fountainpenkid
June 11th, 2015, 08:14 PM
Very nice,fountainpenkid! Is it yours? Me likey the celluloid,especially the pattern.

John

Oh, if only it were!

fountainpenkid
June 20th, 2015, 09:52 PM
Lamy 2000

Can it be on this list? Why or why not?

ArchiMark
June 21st, 2015, 08:09 PM
Conklin Nozac

Spectacular materials, beautiful art deco design, and among the only American piston fillers. Comes in many varieties fitting both user and collector's needs, and, oh, again, that celluloid!

Amen.....well said and agree these are gorgeous, well made pens....

FredRydr
June 28th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Lamy 2000

No, because it has't received 4 thanks. Your rules.

Fred

fountainpenkid
June 28th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Lamy 2000

Fred

I can't tell if you're joking, but assuming not, I meant could it be considered for the list (i.e is it a modern or vintage pen?)?

Special K
June 28th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Lamy 2000

Fred

I can't tell if you're joking, but assuming not, I meant could it be considered for the list (i.e is it a modern or vintage pen?)?

No, not in those broad of terms.

FredRydr
July 3rd, 2015, 07:25 AM
It wasn't meant as a joke, but I'm not serious, either. This forum is for fun! Since you elicited responses, I just observed your rules and replied. In my mind, the Lamy 2000 is modern, but it is an iconic design that is still offered today. A "classic," like a 149.

Fred

P.S. I have a 2000, somewhere. I just cannot find it!

pajaro
July 3rd, 2015, 09:05 PM
Why not just name them all?

Some of these pens might have been popular, but many don't make the best twenty. As an example, Parker 21. Seriously?

FredRydr
July 4th, 2015, 10:14 AM
Why not just name them all?

Okay, but you have to do the typing. We'll check back in a month to see how the list is coming along.

Fred