PDA

View Full Version : MB Monte Rosa 042g leaking from the bottom end

sarangm
May 31st, 2015, 09:08 PM
I recently purchased an MB Monte Rosa from the bay. It's a beautiful looking 042g, with a real nice gold nib. The problem is, it leaks from the bottom. I would love to keep the pen if it can be repaired. Does anyone know how to dismantle the piston assembly from the pen? Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

whych
June 1st, 2015, 01:18 PM
If you screw the piston knob out a turn and then blow into the piston end, does the ink gush out?
If this is the case, the piston seal needs replaced.
If not, then it is leaking from the nib.
MB use a special gooey gunk on their nibs to seal them into the section. It could need some of this.
The nibs should unscrew, but don't try to force it.

Jon Szanto
June 1st, 2015, 01:55 PM
Sarang, for as often as you are trying to restore pens, you really ought to invest in the Marshall/Oldfield book, "Pen Repair" (3rd edition). An awful lot of info in there, including pics. I did a quick flip to the Montblanc section and noticed the following:

"Plastic gaskets were used in the early models of 14x series. If they work well leave them alone and do not bother changing them. But if they do not performa well and have to be repaired, it is advisable to replace them with cork.

The other models that are equipped with plastic gaskets are [snip] and the 042 Monterosa."

sarangm
June 1st, 2015, 08:10 PM
Thanks whych. It's definitely coming from the piston side. Comes right out of the piston knob. The nib end is clean

sarangm
June 1st, 2015, 08:20 PM
Thanks Jon. Getting the book. Thanks for getting the info for me. This is very interesting. So far I have heard of cork seals being replaced by rubber parts, but this seems the other way round :-) First though we need to figure out how to get the piston assembly dismantled. I am now even more intrigued.

whych
June 2nd, 2015, 02:24 AM
I wouldn't buy the book if your primary interest is German pens - it doesn't really cover them that well.
It's great if you collect Sheaffer or Parker, but not German pens.

Your MB piston unscrews from the piston knob end. the knurled piece is the inner sleeve part you need to unscrew and is a standard right hand thread.
Try looking/searching the site for Pelikan, Kaweco and other German piston fillers to get an idea of how it goes together. (Only Pelikan uses a left hand thread)
Are you sure the seal is plastic and not cork? If it is cork, fill the pen with water and then submerse the whole pen in water and work the piston to get water into the back of the piston.
Leave it to soak for a day or so, working the piston every now and then.
This may just re-hydrate the cork and get it to seal again.

Sorry but I'm not into MB, so can't be more help.

Jon Szanto
June 2nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't buy the book if your primary interest is German pens - it doesn't really cover them that well.

I made the suggestion, in large part, because I've seen a number of posts about pens that Sarang has made in another venue, and his pen interests vary, with a general nature. I think the knowledge will serve him well, including your advice about the slim nature of German coverage.

whych
June 2nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
@Jon
Fair enough.
The trouble with collecting German pens is that there is not that much written/printed about repairing and collecting them. Most of the books concentrate on the US/English pens.

sarangm
June 2nd, 2015, 08:07 PM
Thanks whych. I do have some German piston fillers, I will try them out. I am fairly certain that the piston seal is not cork. I don't think the pen is that old either.

sarangm
June 2nd, 2015, 10:15 PM
Yes, I do have a good number of Parker and Sheaffer pens. So, I do believe the book would be useful as Jon stated. I was wondering why Jon said "Invest" till I checked the price of the book :-)