PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Eclipse

Chrissy
June 1st, 2015, 09:32 AM
After testing Montblanc Einstein on the MI thread, I thought I would get a sample of Diamine Eclipse to see what it was like.

It looks black in the bottle, but I see it as an almost black blue-black. It is leaning towards the end of the blue range of the spectrum, so that it almost goes into blue-violet, but I don't see purple in it. Just a very dark blue-black. I think it's name fits it very well. The inky blackness of a night sky that has a faint hue of blue about it.

As someone who isn't a fan of black, grey or blue-black ink, I was surprised to find myself liking it. For me it's better than black as it has that very dark blue tint in it.

I'm currently into attempting to match my pen barrel colours with the inks I use to fill them. So I filled my black carbonesque Pilot Capless (VP) with this ink. I had an empty, clean and dry cartridge, and syringed this ink into it. Pilot inks flow really wet in this Capless, but this seemed to write a bit dryer than some inks I have used recently. I had some slight feedback on this smooth, thick paper. It wasn't a bad thing, and it means the ink dries fairly quickly.

The water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink. I bet that will put some people off it, however, it has a bit of water resistance.

Bearing in mind the paper I use is very smooth, and the nib used at that time was a 1.1 stub, this ink took 12-15 secs to dry.

It lubricates the nib well. I saw no skips or hard starts from either of the pens that both stayed uncapped while I swapped and changed, and did swabs and comparisons with other inks. So far as flow goes it's less wet than some Diamine inks I have reviewed.

It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic refill bottles. It's also available in cartridges.

Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

It's a reasonable price

tiffanyhenschel
June 1st, 2015, 09:56 AM
A nice, thorough review. :-) The purple in this ink comes out if you dilute the ink or use a dry writing pen.

elaineb
June 1st, 2015, 10:09 AM
This is a great ink for sketching if you like to use a wet brush to create washes from your ink drawings.

southpaw52
June 2nd, 2015, 06:49 AM
Thank you for a great review.