PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice please

Uncle Bud
June 2nd, 2015, 02:24 PM
In the for sale forum, I've seen the term $xx plus $xx CONUS. What does CONUS mean, is it Continental U.S., and does that mean the seller doesn't ship international. Sorry if this question has been answered, but I can't find any answers, and I'm mega thick.

Bud.

Jon Szanto
June 2nd, 2015, 02:37 PM
You are correct: short for CONtinental U.S. Whether they will ship abroad, if asked, can only be answered by them.

Wile E Coyote
June 2nd, 2015, 05:15 PM
I always thought it meant Contiguous United States. When I've used it in a sale it was meant to convey that would be the shipping charges to the lower 48 states and DC. Anywhere else would have to be calculated. Other countries were not excluded from the sale.

Jon Szanto
June 2nd, 2015, 05:42 PM
Aha: contiguous.

I stand corrected. Well, I sit corrected, at the moment.

dneal
June 2nd, 2015, 10:38 PM
CONUS is a DOD acronym for "Continental United States", which refers to the contiguous United States. There was no confusion until Alaska became a state in the late 50's. It's mainly used in reference to duty assignments (and corresponding special pay and allowances), but also used for logistics standards (stockage and ship times).

Jon Szanto
June 2nd, 2015, 11:09 PM
CONUS is a DOD acronym for "Continental United States", which refers to the contiguous United States. There was no confusion until Alaska became a state in the late 50's. It's mainly used in reference to duty assignments (and corresponding special pay and allowances), but also used for logistics standards (stockage and ship times).

So... I was right. Well, there's a first... for today.

Chrissy
June 3rd, 2015, 03:16 AM
so does it still cost you more to ship to Alaska and Hawaii?

dneal
June 3rd, 2015, 07:51 AM
so does it still cost you more to ship to Alaska and Hawaii?

Depends on the method and priority. Flat rate, priority mail options are the same price regardless. Others are based on to and from addresses.

Wile E Coyote
June 3rd, 2015, 10:38 AM

So, is the DOD acronym correct? Alaska is part of the continent but doesn't a duty assignment there garner "special pay and allowances" and the logistics are different from the lower 48?

dneal
June 3rd, 2015, 11:33 AM

So, is the DOD acronym correct? Alaska is part of the continent but doesn't a duty assignment there garner "special pay and allowances" and the logistics are different from the lower 48?

Not sure what you mean by "correct". Alaska is on the North American continent, so in a sense it's not correct. "Lower 48" is understood to mean the 48 contiguous states - but Hawaii is "lower" than any of the other 49, so that's not strictly correct either. Technically, "CONUS" isn't even an acronym since an acronym is a new word derived from the first letters of each word (e.g.: ASAP = As Soon As Possible). "CONUS" (CONtinental United States) is actually termed a "brevity code".

Anyway... Yes, Alaska is an OCONUS assignment, if that's what you're asking (OCONUS being "Outside" CONUS, or not-CONUS).

Joint Publication 1-02 (http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp1_02.pdf) says: "continental United States — United States territory, including the adjacent territorial waters, located within North America between Canada and Mexico. Also called CONUS."

Wile E Coyote
June 3rd, 2015, 12:57 PM
Not sure what you mean by "correct". Alaska is on the North American continent, so in a sense it's not correct. "Lower 48" is understood to mean the 48 contiguous states - but Hawaii is "lower" than any of the other 49, so that's not strictly correct either. Technically, "CONUS" isn't even an acronym since an acronym is a new word derived from the first letters of each word (e.g.: ASAP = As Soon As Possible). "CONUS" (CONtinental United States) is actually termed a "brevity code".

Anyway... Yes, Alaska is an OCONUS assignment, if that's what you're asking (OCONUS being "Outside" CONUS, or not-CONUS).

Joint Publication 1-02 (http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp1_02.pdf) says: "continental United States — United States territory, including the adjacent territorial waters, located within North America between Canada and Mexico. Also called CONUS."

If they're going to redefine the continent to fit their needs then I'll agree with Continental United States.

Seems like SNAFU fits just fine as a DOD acronym.