PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ink No. 9

Laura N
June 3rd, 2015, 01:54 PM
Number nine, number nine, number nine....

Yes, dear ink fans, it’s time (or even slightly past time) for another round of Mystery Ink.

Our theme for MI9 is graduation. Time has really flown, and we have seen progress and change on so many fronts. MI here reaches its ninth round, which is amazing in and of itself. And the Stanley Cup finals kick off tonight. It’s hard to believe, but it was almost two months ago, when we were just beginning MI7, that the Stanley Cup playoffs started with 16 teams vying for the ultimate prize. Now only the top two remain, and congratulations to both teams— the exciting and skilled Tampa Bay Lightning and MI’s beloved and never-say-die Chicago Blackhawks.

All over the country parents are celebrating the graduations of their middle school, high school and college students We are proud and happy parents ourselves at MI Midwest, since somehow, in the blink of an eye, my two wonderful youngest children have gotten old enough to have graduated middle school and high school, respectively, this past week.

Pomp and circumstance aplenty here. It’s really an amazing experience. Still a little bit in a daze.

And now we graduate to MI9 as a group. Another amazing feat. All that is required of our MI9 volunteers will be a willingness to try an unknown ink, MI9, and post your impressions here. The idea is to have fun by trying an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be. To preserve the mystery, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it. So we also ask people not to write guesses about the ink’s name directly in the thread.

People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in Mystery Ink. The more volunteers the better.

If you’d like to volunteer, please post here and let us know why you’d like to get MI9. And if it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps us pick a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times.

If we have more than six volunteers, participants will be chosen randomly.

akapulko2020
June 3rd, 2015, 02:04 PM
Would love to be included again. Trying an unknown ink was awesome in MI7 !

sgtstretch
June 3rd, 2015, 02:45 PM
OOO, OOO, pick me, pick me. :bounce::bounce:

BCDDiggler
June 3rd, 2015, 02:56 PM
If you need another international (CAN). Otherwise, as I participated in MI#8, I would recuse myself and allow another the opportunity.

I'm graduating this year - final presentation next week! Professional post-grad program. Congrats to any and all other grads!

Good luck!

Chrissy
June 3rd, 2015, 03:00 PM
I would love to have another go if I'm lucky enough to be selected.

I met my husband just before he graduated university, and on Friday he retires from work :)

Sammyo
June 3rd, 2015, 04:28 PM
I would love to throw my hat into the ring once more :)
It's always fun to pull the gang together for another group review :)

Crazyorange
June 3rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Count me in please.

No graduation stories here. I did get my ass kicked by my mentor. Eating humble pie this week. [emoji53]

Jon Szanto
June 3rd, 2015, 06:24 PM
I've skipped a couple, so I'll opt in if chosen to ink up.

My cats refuse to go to school, but a little over 4 years ago a young man came to me for some intense lessons in preparation to audition for universities. In the end, he played well enough to get into his school of choice, and just last week graduated, and has turned into an amazing artist. I am a very proud drumfather.

Gimme ink.

Hawk
June 3rd, 2015, 07:17 PM
I would like to test the ink sample. I might let my wife try it also and come up with a combined reply. We live south of you in the Land of Lincoln.

elaineb
June 3rd, 2015, 09:30 PM
I've participated in the last two, so I'll be sitting this round out. It's so much fun, though! Enjoy, MI9'ers-to-be!

tiffanyhenschel
June 3rd, 2015, 09:45 PM
I'm in for this one if I get chosen.

Graduation is on my mind because final exams are over tomorrow, and graduation is Saturday. Our principal told us this week that our school's class of 2015 has already been awarded over $5 million in scholarships and grants.

Crazyorange
June 4th, 2015, 03:35 AM
I'm in for this one if I get chosen.

Graduation is on my mind because final exams are over tomorrow, and graduation is Saturday. Our principal told us this week that our school's class of 2015 has already been awarded over $5 million in scholarships and grants.

Congrats on all the hard work...great achievement.

akapulko2020
June 4th, 2015, 05:00 AM
As to graduation stories, 6yo graduates from kindergarten and will be starting 1st grade in September and his sister is "graduating" from her awesome preschool and will be entering pre-pre K

mhguda
June 4th, 2015, 01:41 PM
I'd love to play again, if my joining does not slow the whole thread to an unacceptable crawl - and the random chooser allows me!
No personal graduation stories here either, but I'm an examinator for the third consecutive year, and as second corrector well into my third decade. So exam time is always a busy time for me, and I can totally relate to the stress everyone involved is experiencing. I used MI8 for part of my grading, BTW - it really popped off those pages - or bled through, sorry to say... Those schools use cheap paper!

Laura N
June 4th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Alright, this one didn't draw much interest, which I hope it isn't proof of the wisdom of crowds. We'll have to see what people think of the ink. :)

I have enough of MI9 for eight volunteers, so that's what I'll do here. Last time, everyone outside the US received it, and I chose randomly among the US volunteers; so this time I will do the opposite. MI9 will go to:

akapulko202
BCDDiggler
sgtstretch
Sammyo
Crazyorange
Jon Szanto
Hawk
tiffanyhenschel

I believe I need mailing information only for sgtstretch and Hawk, so if you could kindly PM or email me, that would be great.

akapulko2020
June 4th, 2015, 01:50 PM
|Delightedly jumps up and down| Thrilled to participate again [emoji5]

Cob
June 4th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Alright, this one didn't draw much interest, which I hope it isn't proof of the wisdom of crowds. We'll have to see what people think of the ink. :)

I have enough of MI9 for eight volunteers, so that's what I'll do here. Last time, everyone outside the US received it, and I chose randomly among the US volunteers; so this time I will do the opposite. MI9 will go to:

akapulko202
BCDDiggler
sgtstretch
Sammyo
Crazyorange
Jon Szanto
Hawk
tiffanyhenschel

I believe I need mailing information only for sgtstretch and Hawk, so if you could kindly PM or email me, that would be great.

I was keeping a low profile - I SAW Elaine's write up on MI8...

Cob

Laura N
June 4th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Well, all I'm going to say is, right now, MI9 is my favorite MI ever, because every time I open it, I see a photo of a photo of my two youngest, in their erstwhile adorable youth. I'll miss that photo when I remove it.

Jon Szanto
June 4th, 2015, 02:07 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/umxvF7rOYJRII/giphy.gif

inlovewithjournals
June 4th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Congrats to the MI9 crew! Can't wait to see the reviews. I will try to throw my hat in for MI10.

Laura N
June 4th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Looks a little like SITB, Jon.

But pretty. :)

Sammyo
June 4th, 2015, 02:13 PM
Yay, yay, yay, yay... I shall send out the message! Inkvengers Assemble!!!!

Laura N
June 4th, 2015, 02:20 PM

I'm saddling up the turtle to take your envelope!

Neo
June 4th, 2015, 02:22 PM

Should still be faster than a rabbit if memory serves.....

Sammyo
June 4th, 2015, 03:06 PM

Try putting reaching stripes on it... or painting it red... or asking the USPS not to route it via Saturn this time [emoji14]

mhguda
June 4th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Congratulations MI9 crew!

Chrissy
June 4th, 2015, 03:17 PM
Congratulations MI9 crew!

Crazyorange
June 4th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Woohoo! Go Blackhawks.

Laura N
June 4th, 2015, 07:12 PM
Woohoo! Go Blackhawks.

All the MI's for you!

Empty_of_Clouds
June 4th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Anticipating reading the reviews of this (and any future) Mystery Ink round. Sounds intriguing. [I take it the Blackhawks are a team of some description?]

Crazyorange
June 4th, 2015, 07:36 PM
I'm wondering....is MI just a cover for hockey brain washing? I have a strange desire to watch some guys chase a puck ;)

Neo
June 4th, 2015, 07:49 PM
I'm wondering....is MI just a cover for hockey brain washing? I have a strange desire to watch some guys chase a puck ;)
:wave:

Crazyorange
June 4th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Yup...that's it. There's some days when I wouldn't mind whacking the heck out of a puck.

Neo
June 4th, 2015, 07:55 PM
How about this instead?

Hawk
June 4th, 2015, 08:03 PM
Can't wait for the sample.

migo984
June 4th, 2015, 08:04 PM
[I take it the Blackhawks are a team of some description?]

Yes I think they play netball, rounders or lacrosse. Or something like that.......😉

Empty_of_Clouds
June 4th, 2015, 08:44 PM

Yes I think they play netball, rounders or lacrosse. Or something like that.......😉

Well, I hestitate to say this... but my statement was meant to be Puckish. :jester: Okay, okay, you can all have a big groan and a headshake now.

Many years ago, when I worked for the NHS in the UK (National Health Service to those outside the sceptred isle), we were asked by the boss to come up with ideas for team building and morale boosting. I suggested - in all seriousness - that we could get one of those big boxes of percussion instruments like you see at kindergarten and every Monday morning we all grab a random instrument and have a twenty minute jam. Like those street bands that use dustbins (trashcans) and so on.

The boss, who it must be said was a bit of an arse, was most upset by this. He asked us again, for SERIOUS suggestions. So... I suggested we could organise weekly after-work Kendo sessions where we could all be anonymous in the armour and beat seven shades of holy crap out of each other. I did point out that many of us would find this most therapeutic.

I was invited to have a 'little talk' with the boss in his office. Which turned into a somewhat unexpectedly frank exchange of views, mainly from my end. I was feisty back then, and did not react well to bullying, physical or mental.

Some people are just so unimaginative.

migo984
June 4th, 2015, 09:10 PM

Yes I think they play netball, rounders or lacrosse. Or something like that.......

Well, I hestitate to say this... but my statement was meant to be Puckish. :jester: Okay, okay, you can all have a big groan and a headshake now.

Ha! Yes I got that you were jesting & responded puckishly in kind 😄

Well, you'd better be on your "guard" in case the hockey fans give you some "stick". Geddit? Lol

Empty_of_Clouds
June 4th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Ha! Yes I got that you were jesting & responded puckishly in kind 😄 I noticed that! And I did think your comment rather took the biscuit. There ought to be a 'boom tish' emoticon. I would so use that right here.

FredRydr
June 5th, 2015, 08:27 AM
All that is required of our MI9 volunteers will be a willingness to try an unknown ink, MI9....
Sounds dangerous.

Fred

naimitsu
June 5th, 2015, 08:51 AM
Congrats to the winners!

And apparently when I take 2 days off from the forum, I totally miss throwing my hat into the ring! Oh well! Next time I suppose ;)

Sailor Kenshin
June 5th, 2015, 09:53 AM

akapulko202
BCDDiggler
sgtstretch
Sammyo
Crazyorange
Jon Szanto
Hawk
tiffanyhenschel

Looking forward to seeing everyone's take on this!

Laura N
June 5th, 2015, 09:54 AM
All that is required of our MI9 volunteers will be a willingness to try an unknown ink, MI9....
Sounds dangerous.

Fred

The orange one was. To my poor eyes. :)

Also to certain wallets. :)

Laura N
June 5th, 2015, 03:20 PM

Try putting reaching stripes on it... or painting it red... or asking the USPS not to route it via Saturn this time [emoji14]

I live in hope.

Actually, I sent out the international packages yesterday. Normally I'd wait to mail the US ones till Monday, but because some domestic mail has been very slow lately, I just went ahead and mailed all the US packages today. It can be a race!

Oh, and I learned that postage prices just went up again. Not for a regular letter, but for a first class package and apparently some other things. Insert sad trombone sound here.

Jon Szanto
June 5th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Oh, and I learned that postage prices just went up again. Not for a regular letter, but for a first class package and apparently some other things. Insert sad trombone sound here.

I just learned that as well, though I found out that standard 1st Class includes tracking now. For small, less-expensive items, I don't mind not having insurance, but being able to track it is helpful. You know precisely, sort-of, where it has dropped off the grid.

tiffanyhenschel
June 5th, 2015, 05:00 PM
This is great news. Today was the last day of school, so I'll have lots of time to play!

sgtstretch
June 5th, 2015, 08:38 PM
Looking forward to inking it up!

Neo
June 6th, 2015, 07:08 AM
Ha! Yes I got that you were jesting & responded puckishly in kind  I noticed that! And I did think your comment rather took the biscuit. There ought to be a 'boom tish' emoticon. I would so use that right here.

how 'bout this?

Laura N
June 6th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Awesome news: the first MI9 sample has landed!

Uncle Bud
June 7th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Congrats winners' let the reviews commence.

FredRydr
June 7th, 2015, 11:01 AM

Not on your floor, I hope.

Fred

Laura N
June 7th, 2015, 11:33 AM

Not on your floor, I hope.

Fred

I am exactly the person who would, so I will say "not yet" instead of "no."

Sammyo
June 9th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I don't know what you fed that tortoise, but he was on fire when I pulled him of of my mailbox! MI#9 is in my hands and soon in a pen.

Time to rally the troops...

sgtstretch
June 9th, 2015, 05:01 PM
MI9 hit my mail slot this morning. Looking forward to inking it up.

Jon Szanto
June 9th, 2015, 05:25 PM
No, really, that's ok. I can wait.

Laura N
June 9th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Looks like the USA won the MI9 race, then. Since it seems to have not yet made it to our three foreign shores: Israel, Canada and California.

:)

tiffanyhenschel
June 10th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. Mini review coming soon...

Chrissy
June 10th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Looks like the USA won the MI9 race, then. Since it seems to have not yet made it to our three foreign shores: Israel, Canada and California. :)

California???:pound:

Jon Szanto
June 10th, 2015, 12:32 PM
California???:pound:

It was all over the news. We've been busy moving furniture around and stuff...

http://www.impawards.com/2015/posters/san_andreas_ver3.jpg

Sammyo
June 10th, 2015, 08:54 PM
I tried waiting... but I couldn't resist getting something up here. Below is a very quick "First impressions" page.

I am in the progress of organising the Inkvengers group review, hopefully it will happen soon :)

Empty_of_Clouds
June 10th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Looks very red on my screen. Rather nice in fact. If that is the true colour then I await the reveal with extra anticipation!

Crazyorange
June 11th, 2015, 12:33 PM
I need to finish my drawing.....does anyone notice the bright pink tones that dry red?

Jon Szanto
June 11th, 2015, 01:11 PM
It are arrived. Give me a day or so to mess around with MI9, or as they say in Australia, 6IW.

migo984
June 11th, 2015, 01:27 PM
It are arrived. Give me a day or so to mess around with MI9, or as they say in Australia, 6IW.

¡¡¡¡ ɐɥ ɐɥ ɐɥ ɥo 😏

Laura N
June 11th, 2015, 03:35 PM
That leaves only akapulko2020's MI9, and that should be there soon, according to USPS. Not bad!

And I've already got three guesses. Also not bad!

Sammyo
June 11th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I thought I'd share some in process pics with everyone :)
Apologies, pics taken with my phone.

Sammyo
June 11th, 2015, 08:06 PM
Looks very red on my screen. Rather nice in fact. If that is the true colour then I await the reveal with extra anticipation!

It is very red, when I say brown, it is a red with a hint of brown and a browny, goldy, greeny sheen... if you know what I mean. As for colour representation, I will let others comment and share their pics too :)

Sammyo
June 11th, 2015, 08:09 PM
I need to finish my drawing.....does anyone notice the bright pink tones that dry red?

Yes I do! one of my colleagues... naimitsu... commented that she liked the pink shading :)

Laura N
June 12th, 2015, 07:20 AM
I tried waiting... but I couldn't resist getting something up here. Below is a very quick "First impressions" page.

I am in the progress of organising the Inkvengers group review, hopefully it will happen soon :)

To add one more data point, this color does look very true to what I get. Although I'm using it in a Safari, which is a much more dry writing pen. And I notice some differences in its look depending on the paper, too.

ETA: I guess the photo didn't come through, but I'm talking about Sammyo's Post #60.

naimitsu
June 12th, 2015, 09:03 AM

Yes I do! one of my colleagues... naimitsu... commented that she liked the pink shading :)

I did? I don't recall saying any such thing! :spy:

Laura N
June 12th, 2015, 10:30 AM

I actually don't, no. But I do notice that different facets of the ink come to the fore, depending on pen and paper used.

tiffanyhenschel
June 12th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Here are some of my experiments. As Laura said above, different pens and nibs change the character of this ink. Papers are Rhodia dot pad, Tomoe River, and Plover bond. I initially saw this as a pure Burgundy, and still think of it that way in its saturated form, but when I took something I had written on TR outside and saw it in the sun, it had a definite orangey hue at the lightly shaded areas.
The biggest surprise was what I saw on the TR after my doodling with the music nib dried -- a strong gold sheen. I couldn't photograph it well but it jumps off the paper!
Laura, this completely negates my previous guess.
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/12/83fe5dca9b0b7a2f11c91e7ebecd12bd.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/12/a66350e66cfa58123c95f9092942fc61.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/12/f0f146147d32118c53a29684133ed818.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/12/3396b1fc2953754498d73b8271f5a04d.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/12/a27525e82adc7728a316118b6cd5f42f.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/12/03715721f8f378c81ff96decd28285a7.jpg

Laura N
June 12th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Laura, this completely negates my previous guess.

Well -- it was a good one -- but anyone can submit unlimited guesses as far as I'm concerned. :)

reprieve
June 12th, 2015, 04:14 PM
MI9 is a really pretty ink! I'm digging it.

Tiffany, what is that gorgeous blue/green ebonite pen with the Franklin Christoph music nib?

Sailor Kenshin
June 12th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I haz a guess. I will not say.

I will, of course, be wrong. ;)

tiffanyhenschel
June 12th, 2015, 06:59 PM
MI9 is a really pretty ink! I'm digging it.

Tiffany, what is that gorgeous blue/green ebonite pen with the Franklin Christoph music nib?
http://www.fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8721
It is a Newton Pens Townsend. Thanks :)

naimitsu
June 12th, 2015, 09:03 PM
Hello everyone! As we all await the continuation of the reviews of MI9, I figure I would take the time to share with you my MI related efforts today!

In speaking with Sammyo at work today, we got onto the topic of the MIs that have gone through as he has a wonderful looking ink journal that he has in his possession. His thought was to create a MI Ink Journal that the group of us could look at if the question of "What was the ink of MI #X? " in the future. When I started going through the MI threads, it became evident that it is rather a chore to wade through the banter (and quite distracting as rereading some of them was quite entertaining!) to get to the reviews and then the reveals.

So I decided to find and relocate all of the reviews for a specific ink onto a single page, and it produced this:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B32BcmbDCq-kfmROSTFPZk9aVHJqNzhFekgyNkNwZ082LUdMcnZpTlBqZGFFd 052N2hFQ28&usp=sharing

I am sharing with you all the folder that contains all of the MI review pages!
Yes, this took quite a bit of time.
No, I did not do this under duress or as a self-imposed punishment.
Yes, I have a slight problem (this is not the first time I've created documents that organize information for my own benefit that was eventually shared with others).
And yes, I do find a perverse sense of satisfaction in doing things like this! If it's handy or helpful to someone else, all the better!

A few notes...

When you click on the link, the files will be listed. I have the ink name in the title if anyone just wants to see what they were without having to open the file.
You can view the files 2 ways: List View or Grid View.
List view (icon at the top right that looks like a bunch of lines) will list the file title, which includes the ink name.
Google Drive, like everything else SW related, can be very glitchy, especially since these files are very graphics heavy due to the nature of our reviews. If you encounter an error message stating that "There was a problem previewing this document", hover your mouse to the top of the black screen and 3 icons should pop up to the right. The middle one will open the file.
Since the preview really sucks to view if you want to actually read the typed text, select the middle icon from the workaround above.

If there are any questions or suggestions of how to make it better/more organized, send me a PM and I'll work on the files... or if someone else wants to help out and you have a Google account, I'll give you write permissions!

Sammyo
June 13th, 2015, 12:28 PM
... The biggest surprise was what I saw on the TR after my doodling with the music nib dried -- a strong gold sheen. I couldn't photograph it well but it jumps off the paper!
Laura, this completely negates my previous guess...

I definitely saw this too and, as an odd coincidence, it was the reason for my guess!

P.s. you have wonderful handwriting, I am very jealous.

Neo
June 13th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Anyone rooting for the Blackhawks tonight?

Crazyorange
June 13th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Not watching, but did hear them mentioned on NPR. I'm guessing important game from the team.

Laura N
June 13th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

ETA: from the movie Airplane!

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2015, 02:06 AM
MYSTERY INK #9

As with MI3, this is a quick-and-dirty, using a format I have in a three-ring binder to catalog inks. Normally, each page would have three inks, but in this case, I test/used the ink on three different papers (noted in the opening line of each). Other details are:

the left hand side contains a swab, followed by 3 swabs of one, two, and then three passes
three nibs were used, all Esterbrook in desk (dip) pen holders; these are 1554 (fine), 9668 (med), 9284 (broad)
there are samples of each nib both in the line tests on the left, and the three double lines of alphanumeric
the header and example text phrase are done in the broad point.

Thoughts on this ink...

Well, it is much more in my camp than MI3, which had too much of a pink component. For me, this has just enough "dirt in the signal" to keep my interest, and while it isn't about being overtly manly, I like that it has a weightier red spectrum, less "icing on the cake" and more "blood on the floor". I appreciate that it has a nice bit of shading, especially on the smoother, less absorbent papers. The odd thing is that it feels a bit more fun to write with on the bagasse, but I like the visual results on the better papers.

Another aspect I like with this ink, similar to MI3, is what I refer to as "tight": it puts down a very clean line with virtually no feathering, and only moderate bleed-through on the bagasse paper, though it does show through a bit more than MI3. To be honest, it is this quality (tightness) that might cause me to use the ink, as it also seems to be pretty feather-free.

I tend to stick with darker, heavier reds. This one would be right up there. I don't get out of the house often enough, so to speak, and I really can't guess what this is. I'll say this: I looked back at a notebook from a few years ago when I was surveying inks. This ink has a fair amount in common with Diamine Red Dragon, and to an extent Noodler's Black Swan in English Roses, capturing a bit of brown in the darker areas. Nonetheless, it definitely is a lighter, brighter red than either of those, maybe as bright as I might ever use. I do like this ink. My only other comments would be that - at least visually - it appears to have a bit of a long dry time, though I didn't do any timed smear tests. Along those lines, and unlike MI3, this ink seems to clean off of your hands pretty easily, which can only be a plus. This may affect it's -proofness, which I neither tested for nor had interest in.

I'll be interested to see info on the ink. I took the last of it and loaded it into a new pen, an Italian Filcao "Leader" with a fine-medium nib, and I'll use it for a while and see if there is anything else worth reporting. As usual, beware scans, as the scan, in spite of my efforts, seems just a tad dark... or something. Not exact, but comparative.

Hope this helps. I've been a little distracted, and this was a nice diversion. Thanks, Laura. :)

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/mi9_zpsp9jnvt5a.jpg

Laura N
June 14th, 2015, 09:39 AM
MYSTERY INK #9

Another aspect I like with this ink, similar to MI3, is what I refer to as "tight": it puts down a very clean line with virtually no feathering, and only moderate bleed-through on the bagasse paper, though it does show through a bit more than MI3. To be honest, it is this quality (tightness) that might cause me to use the ink, as it also seems to be pretty feather-free.

I generally save my reviews till the end, but I can't resist saying something here. One curious thing I've noticed about MI9 as I ink it up for this round is that I am getting some feathering, especially, but not only, on more absorbent papers and with wider, wetter nibs. And it's not particularly tight in my pen, either. The only thing I can point to is that it's been raining and extremely humid here. I wonder if that could be one factor in why some of us get more feathering, etc. with the same ink.

This is something that makes Mystery Ink so fascinating, and educational, for me -- the variety of different experiences.

Just as a data point, right now I'm using MI9 in a Safari, with everything from an EF nib to a very wet B nib, and I've been using it on every paper I can find.

FredRydr
June 14th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Are you sure it's ink? This may explain why Laura was seen rummaging through the local blood bank's medical waste dumpster.

Fred

Neo
June 14th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Are you sure it's ink? This may explain why Laura was seen rummaging through the local blood bank's medical waste dumpster.

Fred

:pound:

Sammyo
June 14th, 2015, 11:00 AM
MYSTERY INK #9

... is that I am getting some feathering, especially, but not only, on more absorbent papers and with wider, wetter nibs. And it's not particularly tight in my pen, either. The only thing I can point to is that it's been raining and extremely humid here. I wonder if that could be one factor in why some of us get more feathering, etc. with the same ink...

It's funny that we saw the same thing with MI#7 (Montblanc Albert Einstein). Some reviewers saw some feathering and others saw none. It really goes to show that one review does not catch every aspect of an ink. MI really does allow us to get an unbiased view of an ink with a multitude of pen, nib and paper combinations in different location with regional influences on an inks behaviour... isn't it great :D

Laura N
June 14th, 2015, 11:09 AM

Fred

Allegedly. The trial is in a few weeks, and I may get off, after all.

Crazyorange
June 14th, 2015, 04:37 PM
MYSTERY INK #9

I generally save my reviews till the end, but I can't resist saying something here. One curious thing I've noticed about MI9 as I ink it up for this round is that I am getting some feathering, especially, but not only, on more absorbent papers and with wider, wetter nibs. And it's not particularly tight in my pen, either. The only thing I can point to is that it's been raining and extremely humid here. I wonder if that could be one factor in why some of us get more feathering, etc. with the same ink.

This is something that makes Mystery Ink so fascinating, and educational, for me -- the variety of different experiences.

I noticed MI9 feathered as well. The most feathering I've experienced. Yes, it damp here.

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I could do even higher resolution scans, but I think those are clear enough: it didn't seem to feather for me, with the possible exception of the broadest nib on cheap paper. I was starting to doubt myself so I just pulled out the notebook with the samples and looked again. Quite strange, still looks tight and great to me.

Sammyo
June 14th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I was starting to doubt myself so I just pulled out the notebook with the samples and looked again. Quite strange, still looks tight and great to me.

I had exactly the same/opposite issue with MI#7, it felt like I was the only one that saw feathering. I also went back and checked my paper and added an additional photo to prove I wasn't going mad... mainly to myself :)

Laura N
June 14th, 2015, 06:08 PM
I could do even higher resolution scans, but I think those are clear enough: it didn't seem to feather for me, with the possible exception of the broadest nib on cheap paper. I was starting to doubt myself so I just pulled out the notebook with the samples and looked again. Quite strange, still looks tight and great to me.

I was starting to doubt myself so I just pulled out the notebook with the samples and looked again. Quite strange, still looks tight and great to me.

I had exactly the same/opposite issue with MI#7, it felt like I was the only one that saw feathering. I also went back and checked my paper and added an additional photo to prove I wasn't going mad... mainly to myself :)

Oh for sure. I feel like this happens every time. I think it was MI8, Rouge Caroubier, where one person saw feathering, bleed-through and show-through and I'd never seen it myself, nor had our MI8 Ink Ninja, who had used it extensively before. And with DA Aubergine, I seem to remember that Sailor Kenshin found that ink difficult to clean when she'd only dipped it, while for me it cleaned up very easily after one week in a Safari.

I think we're figuring out that sometimes ink behavior is related not only to things like pen and paper, but also maybe environmental conditions and other things that are less controllable. And maybe not so easy to diagnose. And sometimes, not: Pelikan Blue Black does tend to be a dry ink, and that probably doesn't depend on the weather quite as much.

I am glad to hear that MI9 behaves so well for Jon, because it means what I'm seeing is probably temporary.

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2015, 06:16 PM
I need no further proof, photographic or otherwise, to confirm I am mad. It is a certitude.

Neo
June 14th, 2015, 06:57 PM
I need no further proof, photographic or otherwise, to confirm I am mad. It is a certitude.

It has been said that madness and genius are two sides of the same coin.

migo984
June 14th, 2015, 07:03 PM
In praise of MIs

I have been criticised in the past for disagreeing with some ink reviews (not that I'm bothered by that). I disagreed on the basis that my own experience of behaviour, colour, properties etc, differed from those of the reviewers. Unfortunately reviewers can get very defensive.

On the 'other forum' I was subject to a lecture because I said I take all reviews with the proverbial pinch of salt and would never now buy an ink solely on the basis of an online review. They aren't scientific & all they can be at best are subjective opinion pieces. They vary massively in terms of quality and content.

The most positive thing about MI blind testing is that it is very evident that there is no right or wrong, that inks can look & behave very differently for different people, or indeed the same person at different times. It depends on all those factors we know affect the ink. Additionally, findings for MIs are not unduly influenced or swayed by brand loyalty or other factors that colour (pun intended) opinion.

I, for one, am inordinately grateful to Laura and Karen for their encouragement and sterling efforts re MIs, for being both the engines and drivers behind the process, and thanks also to everyone who joins in this grand inky experiment

migo

Crazyorange
June 14th, 2015, 08:10 PM
I'm thinking the damp environment could be a contributor to feathering. My home becomes damp when the heat and humidity hit. So damp - paper becomes limp and envelopes seal themselves. It's not that bad..,yet...but moving in that direction. Could this be contributor to my experience? Of corse to add to the mystery, My other inks aren't feathering.

reprieve
June 14th, 2015, 08:13 PM
I think we're figuring out that sometimes ink behavior is related not only to things like pen and paper, but also maybe environmental conditions and other things that are less controllable. And maybe not so easy to diagnose. And sometimes, not: Pelikan Blue Black does tend to be a dry ink, and that probably doesn't depend on the weather quite as much.

This is something that Mystery Ink has made apparent to me, but of which I was very skeptical beforehand. After participating in some of the Mystery Ink experiments, I'm now convinced that environment (humidity, etc.) can affect a given ink's properties. I think it's pretty amazing.

migo984
June 14th, 2015, 10:06 PM

This is something that Mystery Ink has made apparent to me, but of which I was very skeptical beforehand. After participating in some of the Mystery Ink experiments, I'm now convinced that environment (humidity, etc.) can affect a given ink's properties. I think it's pretty amazing.

I've always been convinced that environment plays a much bigger role in ink behaviour than people were prepared to acknowledge. I've seen very strange happenings with inks, over the years, due to the weather, damp paper, or in dry centrally-heated/ air-conditioned homes.

Last summer my bottle of Noodler's Burgundy acted in a very strange way. It bled through absolutely everything I wrote on. And I mean everything! It had never done that before; it was so bad I nicknamed it Evil Root Juice (cos it was like beetroot juice & I hate beetroot lol). To this day it only happened on that one occasion & I've never been able to replicate the behaviour. It was weird. The only thing that made that day different was the very, very high humidity; it was exceptional for a UK summer. No other factors changed.

BCDDiggler
June 15th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Mystery Ink #9 arrive in my mailbox... sometime! It was a busy week. :D

Thanks for the patience, group and Laura!

Dark red bordering on purple, maybe? It looked very blood-like in the vial!

Using a Lamy Safari (M) on 75 g/m2 photocopier paper this ink was, well - I'm going to buy it, ok?

It took roughly 10 seconds to dry and held up fairly well under both blotting and smearing with water. Not much shading. This ink didn't really feather, either. Not even with the napkin test.

Then I wrote a letter to my niece with it!

This is a well behaved ink for me and I enjoyed it. Did I mention my plan to buy it?

A little rushed, and I can't get the photo to rotate... c'est la vie!

Expect a followup note after some more use!

migo984
June 15th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Mystery Ink #9 arrive in my mailbox... sometime! It was a busy week. :D

Thanks for the patience, group and Laura!

Dark red bordering on purple, maybe? It looked very blood-like in the vial!

Using a Lamy Safari (M) on 75 g/m2 photocopier paper this ink was, well - I'm going to buy it, ok?

It took roughly 10 seconds to dry and held up fairly well under both blotting and smearing with water. Not much shading. This ink didn't really feather, either. Not even with the napkin test.

Then I wrote a letter to my niece with it!

This is a well behaved ink for me and I enjoyed it. Did I mention my plan to buy it?

A little rushed, and I can't get the photo to rotate... c'est la vie!

Expect a followup note after some more use!

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19583&stc=1http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19584&stc=1http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19585&stc=1

The middle picture, with blood red vial contents & needle syringe, looks like the ingredients for a very dubious medical procedure 😀

Empty_of_Clouds
June 16th, 2015, 03:29 AM
Glad to see that I am not the only one who uses a proper hypodeemic nerdle.

Cob
June 16th, 2015, 03:53 AM
A suggestion for those who are wondering about humidity etc., affecting the behaviour of these inks.

If you have an airing cupboard or a cupboard at least with a hot water tank, why not put a few sheets of paper inside overnight and try again? I haven't had feathering trouble in the tests I have done, but the flat in which I live is pretty dry.

Rgds to all

Cob

BCDDiggler
June 16th, 2015, 07:40 AM
Spinal needles are perfect! such a nice big (low) gauge and great length!

Crazyorange
June 16th, 2015, 09:18 AM
I'm finally finding time to post a review.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with MI9.

What I love: it's a wonderful experience drawing with this ink. It changes colors as you put the ink down on paper. Hot pink highlights that change as the ink dries. There's a sheen that Tiffany explained very well. Sometimes the ink comes out dark and turns a rich red. It's like watching fireworks as you write.

What I don't like: the general color is ok. Doesn't call to me. But that's just personal dislike.

Plus, (for me) it feathers. If you have been reading the thread...it appears to be weather related. Here's the long scoop on the feathering. This ink feathered on most of my paper so I decided to use 90lb drawing paper. No feathering at all. The last two days have been very rainy and damp. I noticed today I forgot to date the drawing. The ink feathered - minor feathering but enough to notice. The paper doesn't feel damp but I'm thinking the weather is the fault.

I'm grateful to try this ink. I'm learning about the experience ink can give the user. This was a very different ink - a big step away from my normal pick of inks.

First pic is general over view. Second pic is the lighter pinky highlights. Third is feathering.

Thank you Laura. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/3700e32f752be664f8463f8aa15bf0bf.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/caa2e592b434c63ea481b041a8bcc318.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/16/7c99ae7be24f62d215f86c70afefb158.jpg

FredRydr
June 17th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Wow, crazyorange, that's quite a test! So you think it might be ink after all?

Fred

Crazyorange
June 17th, 2015, 06:07 AM
Yes...one more thing...it's blood!!!!!

Laura N
June 17th, 2015, 06:25 AM
In person, it reminds me of cranberries. Less so, cherries. Perhaps some sort of wine.

Some of the rest of you are starting to resemble an unsub on Criminal Minds. :)

Sailor Kenshin
June 17th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Love your ink tests, Crazyorange! Did you mention the pen? I can't tell what it is.

I was privileged to see MI9 on paper. I loved how it looks.

Neo
June 17th, 2015, 07:48 AM
In person, it reminds me of cranberries. Less so, cherries. Perhaps some sort of wine.

Some of the rest of you are starting to resemble an unsub on Criminal Minds. :)

:butcher: I have no idea what you mean...:pound:

Cob
June 17th, 2015, 09:00 AM
What is an 'Unsub' and what is the significance of 'Criminal Minds?'

Cob

BCDDiggler
June 17th, 2015, 09:08 AM
UNSUB = UNknown SUBject -> the criminal who is not yet identified
Criminal Minds = TV series about FBI profilers tracking down serial killers

There are spin offs now. Decent show, if you are into the genre.

In this context she appears to be insinuating that we are, due to our correlating the ink to blood, possessing a higher than normal association with the macabre and as such are more likely to be serial killers.

I was amused.

Crazyorange
June 17th, 2015, 09:21 AM
It's a vintage wright pen. The nib is gold fine but hard as a nail. I like the band at the top of the cap. A bit different. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/fe2172b8d09e65582e4007f73e36af55.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/17/2a724b8651d6e8a9bb9c40b061436ad8.jpg

Cob
June 17th, 2015, 09:24 AM
UNSUB = UNknown SUBject -> the criminal who is not yet identified
Criminal Minds = TV series about FBI profilers tracking down serial killers

There are spin offs now. Decent show, if you are into the genre.

In this context she appears to be insinuating that we are, due to our correlating the ink to blood, possessing a higher than normal association with the macabre and as such are more likely to be serial killers.

I was amused.

Thanks very much; I do not watch television (except for Formula 1 and Snooker)!

Cob

FredRydr
June 17th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Laura isn't the first. Duchess Georgina, Duchess of Devonshire, wrote to her child in her own blood after the 5th Duke had sent her away from her home, Chatsworth, where the letter remains in its archives.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/08/Thomas_Gainsborough_Lady_Georgiana_Cavendish.jpg/640px-Thomas_Gainsborough_Lady_Georgiana_Cavendish.jpg
Eschews ink

Laura N
June 17th, 2015, 10:00 AM
^^Wow.

Proof of the maxim that no matter how good she looks, some guy somewhere is tired of her [stuff].

Is that a Gainsborough? Gorgeous portrait.

Chrissy
June 17th, 2015, 11:01 AM
^^Wow.

Proof of the maxim that no matter how good she looks, some guy somewhere is tired of her [stuff].

Is that a Gainsborough? Gorgeous portrait.

Yes that was painted by Thomas Gainsborough although when he painted her she was Lady Georgina Spencer.

Ooops, actually I got that wrong it appears she was married when he painted that portrait. Humble apologies.

migo984
June 17th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I had the pleasure of spending time with the late Deborah Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, at Chatsworth, back in 1992. As one of the famous (infamous?) Mitford sisters, she was one of the most fascinating people I've ever spent time with (she had tea with Adolf Hitler in 1937: now there's a story!). She was the driving force behind Chatsworth becoming such a huge success as a tourist attraction. Her autobiography, and her letters to and from Patrick Leigh Fermor, are well worth reading.

Cob
June 17th, 2015, 01:50 PM
I had the pleasure of spending time with the late Deborah Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, at Chatsworth, back in 1992. As one of the famous (infamous?) Mitford sisters, she was the most fascinating people I've ever spent time with (she had tea with Adolf Hitler in 1937: now there's a story!). She was the driving force behind Chatsworth becoming such a huge success as a tourist attraction. Her autobiography, and her letters to and from Patrick Leigh Fermor, are well worth reading.

You were indeed fortunate to meet such a wonderful lady; I recall (though sadly not in detail) her excellent columns in the Spectator. I should enjoy that autobiography myself I am sure.

It was of course the tragic Unity who worshipped Hitler; no doubt you have read what's-her-name's excellent biography of the sisters? The story of Unity and Decca (Jessica) sharing a bedroom with pictures of Stalin and hammer and sickle on one wall and Hitler and swastika on the other are most entertaining.

Rgds

Cob

migo984
June 17th, 2015, 02:04 PM
I had the pleasure of spending time with the late Deborah Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, at Chatsworth, back in 1992. As one of the famous (infamous?) Mitford sisters, she was the most fascinating people I've ever spent time with (she had tea with Adolf Hitler in 1937: now there's a story!). She was the driving force behind Chatsworth becoming such a huge success as a tourist attraction. Her autobiography, and her letters to and from Patrick Leigh Fermor, are well worth reading.

You were indeed fortunate to meet such a wonderful lady; I recall (though sadly not in detail) her excellent columns in the Spectator. I should enjoy that autobiography myself I am sure.

It was of course the tragic Unity who worshipped Hitler; no doubt you have read what's-her-name's excellent biography of the sisters? The story of Unity and Decca (Jessica) sharing a bedroom with pictures of Stalin and hammer and sickle on one wall and Hitler and swastika on the other are most entertaining.

Rgds

Cob

Yes indeed :-) Unity was also at the tea with Hitler; she was the only sister who spoke German fluently.

Deborah was, of course, the aunt of Max Mosley, of FIA fame (and other notoriety!)

Why aren't "socialites" these days as beguiling, intelligent, entertaining and erudite as the Mitfords?

Cob
June 17th, 2015, 02:49 PM

Rgds

Cob

Yes indeed :-) Unity was also at the tea with Hitler; she was the only sister who spoke German fluently.

Deborah was, of course, the aunt of Max Mosley, of FIA fame (and other notoriety!)

Why aren't "socialites" these days as beguiling, intelligent, entertaining and erudite as the Mitfords?

Perhaps the most extraordinary thing was that they had very little formal education - a series of governesses - some of them rather odd - and two eccentric parents..
I suppose you know that John Betjeman was in love with Pamela - the quiet sister?

As for the generality, well today we have so-called celebrities... Who cares what e.g. Tamara Ecclestone does or that woman with the enormous bottom?

Cob

Cob

migo984
June 17th, 2015, 03:41 PM

Rgds

Cob

Perhaps the most extraordinary thing was that they had very little formal education - a series of governesses - some of them rather odd - and two eccentric parents..
I suppose you know that John Betjeman was in love with Pamela - the quiet sister?

As for the generality, well today we have so-called celebrities... Who cares what e.g. Tamara Ecclestone does or that woman with the enormous bottom?

Cob

Cob

I'd missed that, about Betjeman and Pamela. I really must re-read the Mitford sisters' biography when I get back. I've also got a book about the Mitford "dynasty" but I can't recall who wrote it.

Crazyorange
June 17th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I had the pleasure of spending time with the late Deborah Cavendish, Duchess of Devonshire, at Chatsworth, back in 1992. As one of the famous (infamous?) Mitford sisters, she was one of the most fascinating people I've ever spent time with (she had tea with Adolf Hitler in 1937: now there's a story!). She was the driving force behind Chatsworth becoming such a huge success as a tourist attraction. Her autobiography, and her letters to and from Patrick Leigh Fermor, are well worth reading.

Name of book?

migo984
June 17th, 2015, 04:51 PM

Name of book?

From memory, her memoirs are titled something like Wait For Me. The book of letters is In Tearing Haste. IIRC, I think the latter book was edited by one of her sisters.

Laura N
June 17th, 2015, 06:47 PM
How has everyone found MI9 to clean? I thought cleanup was moderate from my Safari: not super easy or quick, but it cleared out with multiple flushes of water. No need to resort to any pen cleaner or ultrasonic cleaning.

But where the ink got under my fingernails today, it has proven fairly persistent.

Sammyo
June 17th, 2015, 08:07 PM
OK, so here we go, picture heavy as usual but trying to capture everything.

We put the ink into four pens:
Edison Collier - 1.1mm stub nib
Monteverde Napa - Medium (Western style) nib
Namiki Capless - Medium (Eastern style) nib
TWSBI 580AL - Extra fine (Western style) nib
and...
A quick dip with a Falcon flex nib...

Everybody seemed to like this ink, the main comment that I kept hearing was that it shaded nicely for a dark red ink. There were some differing views on how lubricating it was. In the broader 1.1 stub it felt very lubricating, but in the extra fine I felt it was a bit dry, but the owner of the pen said that it was actually more lubricated than with other inks she'd used... so the vote goes to the experienced pen owner ;) Result... it lubricates well :)

It seemed very well behaved on all the paper we tried it on, which included Rhodia, Tomoe River, Clairefontaine, Apica, Boise 90gsm & Staples cheap notepad.
There was no feathering worth noting with any nib on any paper. There was some very minor creep and spread on the cheaper paper, but this is to be expected. It also seems to have good water resistance. Even after putting it under a running tap for 20 seconds, where it pooled at the end of strokes and was most saturated it still left a good line. In the other areas, the colour was washed out but still very visible.

We all agreed that it looked different from every nib we used. Typically the finer the nib the lighter, pinker the shade whereas the Edison 1.1mm puts down a lot of ink so you got a deeper, browner/burgundy colour. The other big thing was that there was shading even on the cheap paper, which was somewhat impressive. If you compare it to other dark reds like Diamine Ox Blood it feels much more vibrant, more alive on the paper. On the Rhodia, Tomoe River, Clairefontaine, Apica & Boise 90gsm there was no showthrough or bleedthrough, and even on the cheap Staples notepad only the wide, wet 1.1mm stub did. Other people have mentioned the sheen of this ink, which is lovely, for me it is the reason I would consider getting a bottle. It is (obviously?) most apparent on the Tomoe River, but again only the cheap Staples note pad didn't have any hint of it. It is a rich golden sheen that reflects in the sunlight giving the whole text a warm glow.

To sum up...

Pros:
Water resistant.
Nice dark red with some shading.
Lovely sheen.

Cons:
Takes a long time to dry on good paper (20 secs in my test).
Looks so different from different nibs and feeds, you can't be sure what shade you get until you try it.

Group thoughts:
"It looks so different from different nibs"
"A lot darker than I imagined, more like a burgundy"
"Like Diamine Ox Blood, but without the gross effect and more shading"
"Good ink, well lubricated, helps the nib glide"
"Good shading for a red"
"High scores across the board... so would be a buy... if it is available!"

Naimtsu, please correct/add anything you want... I am always likely to have missed something!

The barmaid actually used fountain pens... which was kind of cool :)
Because it is pretty
All the papers minus the Clairefontaine (Because I don't have it)
The back of the Staples pad page on top of the Boise (Ink review format) page
The ink review format sheet
Close up of the water tests
Close up of the dry times and the swabs

Hawk
June 17th, 2015, 08:27 PM
This is the first half of the midwest sample critique. Sweetnightingale will give her views later.
The pen I chose was a Mabie Todd eyedropper with a 14c Blackbird flexible nib. The paper was 20# Bond.
The first thing I did was, using pressure, pull a 10 1/2" line much faster than one would write. There was generous ink flow and the ink kept up with the pen, no skips or light areas.
As expected, there was ghosting on the back side but very little feathering on the front side. Impressive since I consider this a wet ink.
As a left handed side writer, I haven't inked my writing hand nor have I smeared ink on the paper.
The burgundy color is not an 'in your face color'. I would use MI 9 wherever I would use the Waterman Absolute Brown. Then again, I am a basic color person using the brown, purple, a basic blue, and black. A boreing person. However, this ink may make me open my ink horizons.
The old Mabie Todd seemed pleased to have this ink in it.
Since I am not a person that collects a multitude of inks, I don't have a clue to what this ink is.
Hawk

sgtstretch
June 18th, 2015, 05:53 AM
After having tried MI9 in three pens, a TWSBI 580 M, Pilot Prera CM, and a Zebra G dip nib, I've scanned in my results. I used Rhodia Ice and Tomoe River paper. MI9 wrote very nicely, in all the pens, but I found the color a bit odd. It looks more blood like than Diamine Oxblood, which I happened to have inked up at the time, and I only really liked the color when I used the dip nib as the thinner the nib, the darker the ink.

sweetnightingale
June 18th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Okay, everyone, here is my review of MI9. Please bear with me, as this is the first time I've ever done any kind of ink review. I don't have pictures at this time but it could be a possibility in the future. Others have covered that area so I don't feel quite so bad. :) So, as Hawk said, here is the second half of our review from the Midwest.

I tested this ink using a Bexley Summer Storm pen with a fine nib (I just put it in one pen since the hubs and I were sharing the sample). I tested it on both Clairefontaine and #20 Bond cheaper paper. I have to say, I was quite impressed.

The pen and ink combo I used worked like a dream. The ink kept up with the nib and feed very well, and it put down a very, very nice shade of burgundy. There was no show-through or bleed-through on the Clairefontaine paper, but there was some ghosting on the cheaper paper. Even with that paper, it did very well. There was no feathering on the Clairefontaine paper and very little on the #20 Bond paper.

I did a smear test on the Clairefontaine paper and, like any ink, it smeared immediately after the ink was placed. It took about 5-10 seconds to dry in my test. I also did a water smear test, again, using this paper. Although there appeared to be some water resistance, it did fade and smear quite a lot. That said, I would not consider this to be a permanent ink.

As Sammyo said, this ink has a lovely sheen and some nice shading. I didn't notice it as much on the #20 Bond paper, but it was very evident on the Clairefontaine paper.

It looks a bit different with different nib sizes. Hawk commented that the ink I put down was darker than his writing sample.

I do like this ink and would definitely get a bottle of this to add to my ever-growing collection. I have been looking for a nice burgundy ink and this fills the bill very well.

BCDDiggler
June 18th, 2015, 01:00 PM
UPDATE:

So after using MI9 for a few more days on assorted papers my final impressions are that this is a dark red "bloody" ink. Lubricated (My Safari has been known to act up a bit, no problems with MI9), water resistant, feather resistant. And slow to dry. Though I felt like MI8 was worse for drying time.

A letter on a cream, rough, heavy paper was quite dark but looked wonderful after. Marks on photocopier paper, presuming enough time to dry, are redder in appearance without being bright. I still really like this ink, and it reminds me a bit of my Noodler's Tiananmen, but a little darker? Definite shading on some faster writing.

Overall - a good solid ink that I would use on any number of documents/letter. Though not something that needed to be dry right away. As for cleaning it came out with water no problem leaving my pen nice and clean. My hand, however...

Hopefully Laura will let us know what it is soon and I can check on availability! And perhaps get that caroubier, too!

akapulko2020
June 18th, 2015, 01:05 PM
It'a here, it's arrived! And its one heck of a bloody red ink!

Laura N
June 18th, 2015, 01:54 PM
How has everyone found MI9 to clean? I thought cleanup was moderate from my Safari: not super easy or quick, but it cleared out with multiple flushes of water. No need to resort to any pen cleaner or ultrasonic cleaning.

But where the ink got under my fingernails today, it has proven fairly persistent.

UPDATE:
As for cleaning it came out with water no problem leaving my pen nice and clean. My hand, however...

Thank you! This was my experience exactly. One of my fingernails is still red-rimmed, after two days. The pens, though, are fine. :)

Sammyo
June 18th, 2015, 04:38 PM

I cleaned out my Collier this evening with ease! Normally red and purple inks are the bane of my pen life. I have replaced it with a very light ink, and I can happily report that there is no residual red or discolouring of the new ink at all... but around the cuticle of my right ring finger is another matter altogether! ;)

Laura N
June 18th, 2015, 05:00 PM

I cleaned out my Collier this evening with ease! Normally red and purple inks are the bane of my pen life. I have replaced it with a very light ink, and I can happily report that there is no residual red or discolouring of the new ink at all... but around the cuticle of my right ring finger is another matter altogether! ;)

I am actually considering a manicure. :)

FredRydr
June 20th, 2015, 07:48 AM
http://fibromodem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/blood-bank.jpg

Laura N
June 20th, 2015, 08:15 AM
http://fibromodem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/blood-bank.jpg

The unsub, right here. :)

Laura N
June 20th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Someone who eats too much, right here.

FredRydr
June 20th, 2015, 08:49 AM
http://readwatchwrite.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/CT5.jpg
I'm not so sure about the accuracy of these.

Jon Szanto
June 20th, 2015, 09:33 PM
HAI GAIZ!! DID MI9 GET OUTTED YET? I'M ON VACAY AND WONKY NET AND NOT CHECKING OFTEN SO I WANT TO KNOW!! :)

tandaina
June 20th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Hmm, on my screen it looks a lot like my favorite ink. I'll keep that guess to myself until the reveal.

Sailor Kenshin
June 21st, 2015, 07:19 AM
HAI GAIZ!! DID MI9 GET OUTTED YET? I'M ON VACAY AND WONKY NET AND NOT CHECKING OFTEN SO I WANT TO KNOW!! :)

Must be some vacay.

Sammyo
June 21st, 2015, 07:25 AM

Not yet, I believe there is one review left to come in. It's been a good MI so far :)

reprieve
June 21st, 2015, 07:31 AM

Must be some vacay.

I think Jon put a few too many limes in a few too many coconuts and drank 'em all up.

Chrissy
June 21st, 2015, 09:09 AM

Must be some vacay.

Yes indeed :pound:

Laura N
June 21st, 2015, 09:50 AM
Ugh and I stagger awake late this morning, still barely conscious, after a relatively normal Saturday night. Jon has found the fountain of youth! I JELUS, JON!

Short answer: MI9 is not yet finished. I think akapulko2020's sample only arrived at her doorstep a few days ago, and for everyone it's such a hectic time of year. I may post a few thoughts and photos, but I like to wait until after everyone else, so as not to spoil anything.

But, keep checking. Because an excellent reveal is planned. We are lucky to have the talents of an unindicted co-conspirator on this one. :)

akapulko2020
June 21st, 2015, 09:56 AM
I've tried the ink in a Shaeffer pen by way of dipping it and in another one in converter. Cleanup was nothing out of the ordinary.
It's a lovely deep red color, one that I wouldn't have chosen to sample by myself. What a joy is this whole MI business, thank you so much , Laura :-)

Chrissy
June 21st, 2015, 10:15 AM
I can't wait for the reveal :)

caribbean_skye
June 21st, 2015, 08:47 PM
i had a guess planned, then i saw a sample of this ink in a letter and now I am back to no idea. Cannot wait for the big reveal

Laura N
June 23rd, 2015, 11:08 AM
My short review of MI9: loved it.

So, of course, I know the identity of MI9, but it was totally new to me, because I’d never used it before. I wasn't expecting that much. I'd read about it (pun!) but for various reasons had never picked it up. Red is not the easiest color for me. It may have negative associations for many of us, from either the nightmare of the “F-“ or its oft-mentioned resemblance to blood.

But I liked this one. The color was different, than I expected. In the vial, okay, it did look a little like a blood sample. But on the page, I didn’t get that. To me, it is a cheery burgundy, with more vivacity and spark than the darkness or seriousness associated with burgundy. As I said, to me it reminded me of cranberries. Well, in most cases. Because one thing about MI9 is that it is a bit of a chameleon, capable of looking different in each pen and with each paper.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1066_zpsuxfr5y8v.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1066_zpsuxfr5y8v.jpg.html)

In a Safari with a medium or medium stub nib, the shading is accentuated and it has a slightly pinker cast.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1062_zpsjdxgqr07.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1062_zpsjdxgqr07.jpg.html)

In a Montblanc with a fine or medium nib, it looks redder, though still light.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1060_zpscfwxfzxc.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1060_zpscfwxfzxc.jpg.html)

Put a wet broad nib on the Safari, and you will get a few things: a slightly browner color while wet, a tendency to feather on some papers, and a much darker red color when dry. Also, stained fingernails.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1064_zpsldpobepl.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1064_zpsldpobepl.jpg.html)

In a Pelikan M600 with fine nib, it seems darkest of all, and I believe I can see the sheen that Tiffany mentioned.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1079_zpsbn4yql1w.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1079_zpsbn4yql1w.jpg.html)

It has many good qualities. It cleans fairly easily out of my pens, especially for a red ink. It is nicely lubricated, and flowed perfectly out of every pen. Start-up was immediate. In every pen, even an extra-extra fine, it was easy to read. It is capable of shading to die for. Also, for me, it dried very quickly. Even in the wet Pelikan it was dry within 5 seconds on 24 pound copy paper.

It’s not perfect. When the weather was humid here for days, it definitely feathered. Feathering went away when the sun finally came out. But the potential is there. So this may not be the perfect ink for citizens of Portland or Seattle. Also, MI9 stained my cuticles and under my fingernails like nothing I’d ever seen. It lasted for days. I fear that on clothing or porous household materials, this might be a stainer, so take extra care with it.

All in all, it’s the most appealing burgundy (for my tastes) that I’ve ever used.

And, I did a little paper towel chromatography that reveals all. It’s actually a fairly simple composition: a burgundy red with a bright pink added. Gravitas, leavened by good cheer. Of course.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1067_zpsvzs1mhop.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1067_zpsvzs1mhop.jpg.html)

Sailor Kenshin
June 23rd, 2015, 11:34 AM
I see a streak of brown in the chroma. And if the word 'chameleon' is not in this ink's name I shall be sadly disappointed. ;)

Laura N
June 23rd, 2015, 11:37 AM
You never need to give me an excuse to celebrate the 80s!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcA9LIIXWw

migo984
June 23rd, 2015, 11:57 AM
I definitely know this ink (she says recklessly!). Let's hope I get back to my "correct guess" winning streak, after 2 fails.

Laura N
June 23rd, 2015, 12:17 PM
Does anyone want a clue?

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2015, 12:24 PM
Okay, the hint is....

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2015, 12:25 PM
...wait for it....

("This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.")

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2015, 12:26 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gTc6301bUjQ/VYGUP8ZrX-I/AAAAAAAAIIs/FprBP8uITVs/s800/2015_06_17_11_37_30.jpg

reprieve
June 23rd, 2015, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't have guessed that!

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2015, 12:29 PM
The younger participants may be flummoxed, stymied or completely in the dark.

Fred

migo984
June 23rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Score! 😊 My second guess was Tiananmen, but in retrospect that's a bit off target.

Crazyorange
June 23rd, 2015, 12:49 PM
MI9 describes hitchcock's persona. Perfect.

Sailor Kenshin
June 23rd, 2015, 01:11 PM
No. WAY!

Someone wrote me letters using that....

Now I am truly ashamed of my guesses.

tandaina
June 23rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
Well I got the *brand* right this time at least! ;)

naimitsu
June 23rd, 2015, 01:28 PM
Huh... I thought about buying this once or twice! Though I am a little surprised by the pink content. I haven't seen a review of it before that indicated any tones of pink. I think that's what threw me off!

And nice drawing Fred! I don't think I could've done such a good job!!!

Laura N
June 23rd, 2015, 01:42 PM
So, I hope you will bear with me as I tell the tale (heh) of how this Notorious ink (heh)(stolen from Fred) became MI9. Or, just skip to the next post. :)

Remember that we did Montblanc Gandhi as an MI, thanks to Jon Szanto. People seemed to enjoy that ink so much, and it gave rise to such good conversation, that it made me think of two inks that are very often discussed on fountain pen boards, but are hard to find. They have, in my mind at least, almost legendary status. Montblanc Racing Green and Montblanc Hitchcock. I decided to try to find one of them for MI. Hitchcock seemed the easiest to obtain. Also, candidly, if I'd ever found MBRG, I would have just sent it to Cob.

The only catch on Hitchcock was that neither klp nor I had ever used it, nor did we know a source. Coincidentally, I had just seen it in a letter from Chrissy, and thought it looked okay. So I mentioned it to a few friends, on the q.t. -- Chrissy and Jon -- to see if they had a source for even a partial bottle. And I checked around at the Chicago Pen Show. I didn't quite trust eBay for this, because I hadn't used the ink, so the ink in the bottle could be anything. The long and the short of it was, after weeks of casual searching, I had nothing. Until one of you guys -- crazyorange perhaps? -- mentioned on the Gandhi thread that someone on FPN was selling a bottle of Gandhi. Well, that's a possible source. And after months of turning up nothing, I did something unusual for me and PM'd the seller to ask if he happened to have any Hitchcock, by chance. And, as luck would have it, he was FredRydr, and he was very kind, and he did. So, here it is.

I hope you guys liked using it and/or reading the reviews. I was just so happy to send this out. And I was dying to find out what folks would think if they tried it without knowing it was this famous or infamous ink. I was looking forward to reactions that weren't influenced by the ink's notoriety. And, indeed, some people didn't like it so much. Which is good!

I didn't expect to love it either. But I do. I had always resisted buying it myself, when it was current, because (i) red ink, meh, (ii) hyped ink, meh, (iii) hard to find, (iv) expensive, and (v) there are many other fish in the sea. Also, a lot of people, perhaps influenced by the name, kept comparing it to blood, which isn't my favorite image.

So, there you go: another example of why to always have an open mind. Did I like it more knowing it was Hitchcock? Possibly. But I don't think so. When I saw the chromatography, I realized it fit right into the red-pink range that I dearly love. Ala Caran D'Ache Sunset, which I think was MI3 but was definitely some MI. So, I'd say for me, it's not the scarcity, and it's not the marketing, or the divine bottle, or the hype. I really like the color of this ink, and its behavior too. Except for the fingernail staining. :)

I'd like to talk about how to get Hitchcock, further, and the guesses, but I think I'll need another post. If people want, that is. I never know when to stop. :)

sgtstretch
June 23rd, 2015, 01:52 PM
You are correct, the Caran D'Ache Sunset was MI3. I enjoyed MI9. Interesting to find out it was a rare hard to get ink. I wouldn't have guessed that, but then again, it's also an ink I haven't seen much of.

Crazyorange
June 23rd, 2015, 01:57 PM
Is the bottle unique? Or the usual?

naimitsu
June 23rd, 2015, 02:06 PM

If the pictures I've seen are correct, it's the same bottle they used for Albert Einstein, JFK, and Pink.

tiffanyhenschel
June 23rd, 2015, 02:58 PM

If the pictures I've seen are correct, it's the same bottle they used for Albert Einstein, JFK, and Pink.
Yes, it is the same bottle as the Einstein, the JFK, the current Pink etc.

I have to say I'm astounded. I actually had a bottle of this and used it for a few months off and on and then sold it to another FP Geek. I did not recognise it at all.

Then again, I know I never used it on Tomoe River paper, which is where I found the sheen. I don't think I ever used it on Rhodia dot paper, either.
I would not have sold it if I had experienced these charistics then.
:( When I used it in the past, it was merely a deep, blood red.

tiffanyhenschel
June 23rd, 2015, 03:00 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gTc6301bUjQ/VYGUP8ZrX-I/AAAAAAAAIIs/FprBP8uITVs/s800/2015_06_17_11_37_30.jpg
Thank you for giving us a chance to use this ink, Fred. :)

Laura N
June 23rd, 2015, 03:18 PM
So, here is cruddy photo of swabs of Hitchcock against some of the other inks that were guessed, and some others I have. The white balance is too warm but the comparison works.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1114_zpsiq61tzfj.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1114_zpsiq61tzfj.jpg.html)

To me, the closest match on that page is MB's own Season's Greetings, though Season's Greetings is definitely more red. Diamine Red Dragon isn't too far, but Red Dragon in a pen is more opaque and saturated and while one of my favorite inks is not really Hitchcock. Diamine Oxblood and Deep Dark Red (Diamine via Cultpens) are both too brown. Syrah and Sailor Jentle Grenade are too purple, though Grenade is closer, which may not be clear from the photo.

I received a lot of guesses, but none was actually Hitchcock, which I'm sure is because the ink is so darn variable. Every single guess was great; the ones I know all came close on some aspect of the ink. Here are the guesses I received: Sailor Jentle Grenade; Sailor Oku-Yama (which I don't know); Diamine Syrah and Oxblood; Noodler's Tiananmen (which I don't know); J. Herbin 1670 Rouge Hematite (an interim version). I actually believe I got another guess but it is lost in the maze of my PM inbox, which for some reason doesn't always put new messages on the first page. Side rant: I am hopeless at the PM system but the PM system is sort of crummy, too.

So, back on topic. For those who liked MI9, can you get it? Well, yes. Or at least sort of. First, I actually have enough ink left for a two or three more samples, so I'd be happy to send those to anyone who has donated to MI in the past. Just PM me. And if none of those kind souls are interested it, then I'd be happy to send those extra samples to anyone who does MI and PM's me.

If you want a bottle, one can definitely obtain it on the used market, like any older ink. While pricey it's not obscene, compared to some of the limited edition inks from Japan or even the more expensive European inks. Perhaps even some far-flung boutiques or stores even still have it on the shelf.

And, as always, there may be inks from other makers that are fairly close. One excellent candidate that I've seen in letters but haven't used is Diamine Burgundy Rose; a very kind MI'er is sending me a sample of that, and I will report back. I think it's also possible, based on a sample of an older Visconti ink that Fred sent me, that Visconti Burgundy/Bordeaux may be close. Or may not. If I can get a sample, I'll report on that, as well.

Finally, noticing that the chromatography shows a fairly simple combination, I really do believe that we can mix our own faux version. I did a mix that looks very close in my Safari, but unfortunately not very close in Fred's wetter and wider Edison. So it's back to the drawing board on that mixture, to add some red. When I have the time, I'll definitely work on this and pass along the formula. Happy to share my first formula, as well. In fact it would be fun maybe to work on an open, group formula.

migo984
June 23rd, 2015, 03:37 PM
Another unobtainable ink. As I've said many times I do appreciate the effort put into MIs but I'll never understand the point of getting people to try inks they'll have real difficulty finding, if at all, when there are so many inks that are uncommon, just as good, but still obtainable. Most testers have said "I like this ink, I'd buy it", but unfortunately they can't. Nor can anyone else reading the evaluations. I know Laura disagrees with this viewpoint and I expect many others will too.
But then, I've never been one for following the current zeitgeist.

Chrissy
June 23rd, 2015, 03:40 PM

That was more than a hint :pound:

mhguda
June 23rd, 2015, 03:43 PM
What is the recipe for the faux Hitchcock? If at all possible I'd like to mix up a little, it looks interesting enough.

Cob
June 23rd, 2015, 03:54 PM

What a beautiful pen. And what a shame I find using a dip pen entirely impossible; I should, otherwise, love a pen like that one.

Cob

Chrissy
June 23rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
This is not an easy ink to source, but it isn't impossible.

Thanks to Fred, I have recently found a bottle from a US ebay seller, and I know that seller has more to list.

I also know it is available in Montblanc boutiques in Hong Kong and Singapore, so if anyone knows a source there who can get it shipped out, perhaps they will come in here and let us know.

Sadly, even though I missed out on testing this one, :cry: I knew what it was and followed the thread.

I would like to offer profuse thanks to Laura for buying this ink specially so that she could use it as MI9.

Laura you deserve a gold star and I wish I could draw one. :)

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2015, 04:10 PM
When Hitchcock ink first came out, I tried it in the local boutique and bought four 30ml bottles. I decanted two into one MB traditional bottle because the SE bottles are too shallow for some of my pens. I have used Hitchcock only occasionally, even though it is my favorite red. I forgot about the other two bottles, and when Laura first asked me a few weeks ago, I said I had none. I shortly discovered I did have it, and she grabbed it. Smart lady.

I tried to find sources. It is on eBay for $70-80 a bottle, now. Only you can decide if that's worth it (not IMHO). I called Bert Oser of Bertram's Inkwell and he laughed and said try eBay, but at insane prices. I called my local boutique, and was told it's all gone across the USA. To get the real stuff, it's going to take perseverance or cash, but it's out there.

I thought Laura's first batch of "homemade Hitchcock" was dead on as a match based on her scan. She sent me the second batch that I compared to my Hitchcock ink, and it was not a match.

Fred

FredRydr
June 23rd, 2015, 04:20 PM
What a beautiful pen. And what a shame I find using a dip pen entirely impossible; I should, otherwise, love a pen like that one.

Cob, I've started collecting dip pens, if I like the nib. The holders can be nice, gorgeous even, but they're less important to me. Besides, the nibs are easily moved around. Dip pens are largely passed over by fountain pen collectors, so there are plenty out there. The plus side is, my small collection of crystal inkwells have real purpose, now!

Fred

reprieve
June 23rd, 2015, 04:53 PM
I've been following MI9 religiously as I loved what everyone was reporting about the ink. It looked gorgeous in scans--from a deep dark burgundy to a blood red with a hint of pink. I really didn't have any idea what it was. I thought it could be Diamine Red Dragon, but Red Dragon doesn't have that sheen that some people were getting. The sheen reminded me of Sailor Oku-yama (which is basically Grenade, I think), but the Sailor ink is too pink. I was really excited for the reveal.

I was surprised. I actually have a bottle of Hitchcock. I like it a lot, but I don't use it much because it has become so scarce. It never even occurred to me that it could be Hitchcock!

Laura mentioned Diamine Burgundy Rose in her post and a lightbulb went off in my head. I wouldn't have connected the two, but they are very, very close. I just did a quick swab comparison and writing sample.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/330/19097989445_91c856d43f_z.jpg

The swabs (done on watercolor paper) are very nearly indistinguishable to my eye. There's perhaps just a hint of that green sheen that's present in the Montblanc ink that I'm not seeing as much of in the Diamine. Color-wise, though, it's close to spot-on.

Here's a writing sample on a Rhodia dot pad.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/438/19092312802_31c77a628e_z.jpg

In the pen, Burgundy Rose looks lighter, but the Waterman 52 writes drier than the 52v. The wetter lines in the flex writing look almost identical to me. I'm looking forward to Laura's view and am curious to see if she'll think it's as close of a match as I do.

Crazyorange
June 23rd, 2015, 04:57 PM
Ignore my post. Read it wrong. :(

BCDDiggler
June 23rd, 2015, 05:42 PM
due to availability purchase, temporarily, delayed!
Thanks Laura et al!

Sailor Kenshin
June 23rd, 2015, 06:03 PM
Sooo...my wrong guesses were: Sailor Oku-Yama, which I have and enjoy...and Sailor BB Tears of a Clown, which someone used in a pen pal letter... and in a side-by-side with a letter written using MI9, it was thiiiiiissss close.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 23rd, 2015, 06:55 PM
I'm a bit conflicted. It's great to try something that would one would never normally try, and I like the colour but... if it is no longer available I find that potentially frustrating (only a little though).

Chrissy
June 24th, 2015, 02:12 AM
I've been following MI9 religiously as I loved what everyone was reporting about the ink. It looked gorgeous in scans--from a deep dark burgundy to a blood red with a hint of pink. I really didn't have any idea what it was. I thought it could be Diamine Red Dragon, but Red Dragon doesn't have that sheen that some people were getting. The sheen reminded me of Sailor Oku-yama (which is basically Grenade, I think), but the Sailor ink is too pink. I was really excited for the reveal.

I was surprised. I actually have a bottle of Hitchcock. I like it a lot, but I don't use it much because it has become so scarce. It never even occurred to me that it could be Hitchcock!

Laura mentioned Diamine Burgundy Rose in her post and a lightbulb went off in my head. I wouldn't have connected the two, but they are very, very close. I just did a quick swab comparison and writing sample.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/330/19097989445_91c856d43f_z.jpg

The swabs (done on watercolor paper) are very nearly indistinguishable to my eye. There's perhaps just a hint of that green sheen that's present in the Montblanc ink that I'm not seeing as much of in the Diamine. Color-wise, though, it's close to spot-on.

Here's a writing sample on a Rhodia dot pad.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/438/19092312802_31c77a628e_z.jpg

In the pen, Burgundy Rose looks lighter, but the Waterman 52 writes drier than the 52v. The wetter lines in the flex writing look almost identical to me. I'm looking forward to Laura's view and am curious to see if she'll think it's as close of a match as I do.

I also have both inks so I will have a play with them side by side too.

Cob
June 24th, 2015, 02:29 AM

Cob, I've started collecting dip pens, if I like the nib. The holders can be nice, gorgeous even, but they're less important to me. Besides, the nibs are easily moved around. Dip pens are largely passed over by fountain pen collectors, so there are plenty out there. The plus side is, my small collection of crystal inkwells have real purpose, now!

Fred

Well I have seen a few holders that appealed, but the prices they make are often eye-watering; I cannot imagine what one might have to pay for a nice (e.g.) Bard or Mabie Todd nib!

Thanks

Cob

Laura N
June 24th, 2015, 06:14 AM
I also have both inks so I will have a play with them side by side too.

That will be awesome!

Sailor Kenshin
June 24th, 2015, 06:52 AM
I'm a bit conflicted. It's great to try something that would one would never normally try, and I like the colour but... if it is no longer available I find that potentially frustrating (only a little though).

My thinking always ran: 'Oooo, a free sample of unavailable ink!'

Crazyorange
June 24th, 2015, 07:08 AM

I look at this way, I got to try an ink that was very popular and I got to experience why people loved it. So what it's not available? We have thousands of ink to try....it's not like we are in the ink desert. Maybe it teaches us the qualities of the inks we should be collecting? I'm guilty of buying pretty colors but lack sheen, depth and entertainment. This ink taught me to reevaluate what makes a good ink.

Jon Szanto
June 24th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Data never hurts, and it was interesting to try this one on for size. Not an ink I've got any kind of crazy urge to source, but simply another ink experience with which to leverage all the others. Thanks, Laura.

Chrissy
June 24th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Welcome back Jon. I hope you had a good vacation :)

Empty_of_Clouds
June 24th, 2015, 03:01 PM

I look at this way, I got to try an ink that was very popular and I got to experience why people loved it. So what it's not available? We have thousands of ink to try....it's not like we are in the ink desert. Maybe it teaches us the qualities of the inks we should be collecting? I'm guilty of buying pretty colors but lack sheen, depth and entertainment. This ink taught me to reevaluate what makes a good ink.

That's true. Having received some very interesting samples I now look on my few Diamine inks with a sadly real lack of enthusiasm. In terms of favourite pairings right now, I have a Waterman 94 filled with Maruzen Kirin and an Aurora 88P filled with Blackstone Blue (both courtesy of migo984). Both inks behave far more nicely, and more closely to what I prefer than any of my Diamine inks. I put Pen & Message Cigar in a Parson's Essential with fine cursive italic nib (pen and ink both gifts from migo984 again!) and all of a sudden the pen is lovely to use again - for some reason it did not like Diamine nor J.Herbin that much.

I guess what I am saying is that I am slowly learning that the combination of pen AND ink is more important than either one alone. And we haven't even got to paper yet! I am hoping Kobe ink behaves the same as P&M because I feel I may be diving into that inky arena very soon and abandoning the more commonly available inks (perhaps unwisely at that). Furthermore, I should note that I find R&K Salix falls into the same category of desirability. Luckily I have a bottle of this.

Anyway, in my immediate future I see a bottle of P&M Cigar, another of P&M Suku, and at least one Kobe ink (for starters). I have yet to try - ooh, so many things.

So, yes, there may be thousands of inks out there, but for people like me (low socioeconomic status, geographically remote, and so on) most of the time it really does feel like an ink desert. My other post about being 'conflicted' was not a complaint in any way. It was simply an observation on the prevailing circumstances.

Peace out, Mystery Ink! :hippie:

naimitsu
June 24th, 2015, 04:18 PM
I guess what I am saying is that I am slowly learning that the combination of pen AND ink is more important than either one alone. And we haven't even got to paper yet!

I am totally with you about the ink in pen thing!
I had a cartridge of Pelikan Edelstein Garnet in my ivory Napa, and it was nice, but sorta meh. Then I moved it over to my very wet, very fun shiny red Franklin-Christoph and OMG was it awesome! This prompted my search for Garnet, as it was last year's Ink of the Year, both Goulet and Anderson were both out of the bottles. I am currently hoarding the 2 bottles I did manage to find over at PenChalet and will fight off anyone else who tries to touch my precious! ahem... bottles.

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2015, 12:08 AM

Not to get OT, but since we've sort of wound up the reports... Yeah. Too short (as always). Here is the exact spot where we plopped down on the last day, spending the better part of the morning and afternoon just enjoying the world in front of us. I have NO idea if it gets any more people than this, but Kauapea Beach's nickname is "Secret Beach", accessed by a somewhat steep trail. Two people told us we needed to go there, and I'm glad we did - we'll return every trip we make back to Kauai from here on out. Seriously: about 1.5 miles of beach, and maybe 20 people at most. Heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRPJmhhVz_A

migo984
June 25th, 2015, 02:58 AM
Looks wonderful Jon.
We walked on the beautiful local beach near our apartment and there were no more than 6 people on 8km! And that's usually the case. I'm so spoilt.

Chrissy
June 25th, 2015, 12:42 PM

Not to get OT, but since we've sort of wound up the reports... Yeah. Too short (as always). Here is the exact spot where we plopped down on the last day, spending the better part of the morning and afternoon just enjoying the world in front of us. I have NO idea if it gets any more people than this, but Kauapea Beach's nickname is "Secret Beach", accessed by a somewhat steep trail. Two people told us we needed to go there, and I'm glad we did - we'll return every trip we make back to Kauai from here on out. Seriously: about 1.5 miles of beach, and maybe 20 people at most. Heaven.

Looks lovely Jon

mhguda
June 25th, 2015, 01:32 PM
I like the sound of the waves...

Laura N
June 25th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I like the sound of the waves...

I had the exact same reaction! I was seriously wishing for an MP3 sound file.

Laura N
July 11th, 2015, 04:31 PM
A kind friend gave me a sample of Diamine Burgundy Rose to compare to Hitchcock, and I've been writing with the two side by side for more than a week. I've had each in a Safari with similar stub nibs.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1119_zpsun88ecfm.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1119_zpsun88ecfm.jpg.html)

They are very close, as you can see in that obligatory extreme close-up, and as reprieve's photos also show. Burgundy Rose is an excellent choice for those who like the color but don't want to pay for now pricey Hitchcock. Honestly, Burgundy Rose really is an incredible value, with a 30ml refill priced at less than $6 on Diamine's website. Or you can get a glass bottle as part of the Flower set.

I agree with reprieve on every point. The two inks are not, of course, an exact match. But, especially at normal reading distance, they look super close. Here is a writing sample I did on Rhodia paper switching off word for word, with Hitchcock first and Diamine Burgundy Rose second:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1124_zps72pessyw.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1124_zps72pessyw.jpg.html)

When I used and compared the two over time, though, I had to admit that the Hitchock appears more vibrant and perhaps slightly more saturated, with a slightly brighter look. This is more obvious in person, in bright light and up close. Unfortunately I had to take all these photos indoors, in low natural light, because, as if we were in a Hitchcock movie, it began to rain just as I began. Perhaps you still can see some difference between the two here, with Burgundy Rose on top and Hitchcock below.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1120_zpsqc8ff19r.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1120_zpsqc8ff19r.jpg.html)

And here it is with a bigger block of text from farther away. In this situation, the difference is less apparent. The first five sentences are written with Diamine Burgundy Roase, the last two with Hitchcock.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h219/mochasolo/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1123_zpsssrgtac4.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/mochasolo/media/Misc%20Pens%20and%20Inks/DSC_1123_zpsssrgtac4.jpg.html)

I haven't yet had time to test whether the Burgundy Rose exhibits the changeability of Hitchcock when used in different pens. But in sum, these are two excellent inks. I admit I slightly prefer the look of the Hitchcock. But the Diamine is nearly identical, costs far less, didn't feather for me and is not a limited edition. I think that makes it a great substitute and a much more practical ink.

Chrissy
July 11th, 2015, 04:42 PM
They really are very similar. Thank you for the comparisons. :)

Diamine Burgundy Rose is a lovely ink and is good value if you buy it in the 30ml plastic refill bottles. The glass bottles in the Flowers gift set don't contain any more ink, they are still 30ml bottles, although they are only sold in the set.

Laura N
July 11th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Thanks for that correction, Chrissy. Sorry! I'll edit the post to reflect the right info. :)

I've been able to use many from the Music set, and I adore that one. The few I've tried from the Flower set have been nice, too. Diamine makes many great inks, and at such attractive prices.

migo984
July 11th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Diamine makes many great inks, and at such attractive prices.

I agree that Diamine are very competitive, if price is a determinant, and there are some very good colours, especially in their earlier colour range. But as I've posted elsewhere, in my opinion (and it is just an opinion of course), many recent Diamines are sadly lacking somehow. They have 'flat spots' in the colour (not sure how best to otherwise describe the phenomena), and where some seem initially quite vibrant, that vibrancy fades badly, quite quickly. Some are very pedestrian, almost bland; the Anniversary set, for example, was a big disappointment. I find it difficult to understand why they seem flat; I've tried numerous pen/nib/paper/other factor combinations, but can't get better results.

I have both the Flower Set and the Music Set. The latter set better suits my colour preferences. There are a couple of my favourite inks in that set. I hardly use two or three of the Flower Set at all.

I guess when you churn out and mass produce as many colours as Diamine do, there are bound to be lemons in the range, and of course, YMMV; some people will like the ones I don't. However it's always very good to have choice in the market, so all preferences can be accommodated.

Chrissy
July 12th, 2015, 01:45 AM
Thanks for that correction, Chrissy. Sorry! I'll edit the post to reflect the right info. :)

I've been able to use many from the Music set, and I adore that one. The few I've tried from the Flower set have been nice, too. Diamine makes many great inks, and at such attractive prices.
I find the inks in the Flowers Gift set are much brighter colours, and while I really like several of them, particularly Burgundy Rose and Cornflower, I'm not sure I would make good use of all of them. Whereas I really like all of the colours in the Music Gift set. On the other hand I haven't tried samples of all of the Flowers Gift set inks, so I must remedy that and review them.

migo984
July 12th, 2015, 01:57 AM
I'd be pleased to send samples of Flower Set inks, to the first two FPG-ers who are interested. Any two colours of their choice. I'll also include a bonus sample of another hard-to-find ink from my hoard. 😊

Crazyorange
July 12th, 2015, 05:57 AM
I'd be pleased to send samples of Flower Set inks, to the first two FPG-ers who are interested. Any two colours of their choice. I'll also include a bonus sample of another hard-to-find ink from my hoard. [emoji4]

Can I try the samples?

migo984
July 12th, 2015, 06:05 AM
I'd be pleased to send samples of Flower Set inks, to the first two FPG-ers who are interested. Any two colours of their choice. I'll also include a bonus sample of another hard-to-find ink from my hoard. [emoji4]

Can I try the samples?

Of course you can 😊 Which two would you like to try?

Crazyorange
July 12th, 2015, 06:06 AM

Can I try the samples?

Of course you can [emoji4] Which two would you like to try?

Thank you :) Surprise me. I'm enjoying using inks that I would have never tried.

migo984
July 12th, 2015, 06:20 AM

Can I try the samples?

Of course you can [emoji4] Which two would you like to try?

Thank you :) Surprise me. I'm enjoying using inks that I would have never tried.

Consider it done ☺️

Laura N
July 12th, 2015, 08:28 AM
I'd be pleased to send samples of Flower Set inks, to the first two FPG-ers who are interested. Any two colours of their choice. I'll also include a bonus sample of another hard-to-find ink from my hoard. 😊

Sure, I'd love to try two more, if I qualify. :) I've tried Cornflower, Burgundy Rose (of course) and Carnation, and like them all.