PDA

View Full Version : Tnk Review - Raduga Violet (from Russia)

Cob
June 4th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Yulia has a better camera than I. Anyway here's my effort; the scan was a failure - ink looked blue which it most certainly is not; it is a super-saturated rich violet-purple.

My camera is total garbage: the paper is pure white not pale blue as in the photo. It often does this; normally I can brighten it up but here it made the ink look blue.

Cob

Laura N
June 4th, 2015, 02:45 PM
It looks purple to me, so great job!

migo984
June 4th, 2015, 02:45 PM
That's a very lovely purple Cob. It immediately brought the Waterman purple to mind. Also reminds me of R & K Cassia, but that's just from memory as my Cassia is at home :(
I really like writing with blue-toned purples but you're right, they can be problematic to clean. The Diamines in particular are "stainy" inks I find, especially the Flower Set ones.

Cob
June 4th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the replies, and apologies again for the poor photography.

I expected difficulty cleaning, but it seemed to come of my hands OK, whilst doing the washing-up!

Rgds

Cob

migo984
June 4th, 2015, 03:09 PM
"Hands that do dishes are as soft as ..........." :D:D

Cob
June 4th, 2015, 03:15 PM

"My brain"!

I just bought this pen (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SWAN-MABIE-TODD-LEVERLESS-FOUNTAIN-PEN-14K-GOLD-NIB-NICE-/251977519989?nma=true&si=0nYJPja3%252BaZ6w%252BVnPhf7umodoTI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557); I have wanted one for ages: Mabie Todd pattern in excelsis!

Rgds

Cob

fqgouvea
June 4th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Congratulations, Cob! It looks beautiful.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Cob
June 4th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Congratulations, Cob! It looks beautiful.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Thanks Fernando; let's hope it's as good as it looks. Fortunately I have the necessary parts to make it right - and I have a Fyne Poynt pencil in the same material!.

Rgds

Cob

migo984
June 4th, 2015, 05:10 PM

"My brain"!

I just bought this pen (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SWAN-MABIE-TODD-LEVERLESS-FOUNTAIN-PEN-14K-GOLD-NIB-NICE-/251977519989?nma=true&si=0nYJPja3%252BaZ6w%252BVnPhf7umodoTI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557); I have wanted one for ages: Mabie Todd pattern in excelsis!

Rgds

Cob

Ha Ha. You definitely don't have a soft brain!
Your comment about the washing-up reminded me of those old Fairy Liquid TV ads :-)

That's a lovely brown marble pattern, Cob. Will look wonderful with Monteverde Brown ink flowing from the nib. I expect you've got just the clip for it, to replace the broken one ☺️

Scrawler
June 4th, 2015, 10:45 PM
This is my favourite violet ink. It reminds me of school days and threatening letters from the KGB.

Cob
June 5th, 2015, 03:03 AM

"My brain"!

Rgds

Cob

Your comment about the washing-up reminded me of those old Fairy Liquid TV ads :-)

That's a lovely brown marble pattern, Cob. Will look wonderful with Monteverde Brown ink flowing from the nib. I expect you've got just the clip for it, to replace the broken one ☺️

Yes I remember the advertisement very well - and "soft as your brain" is what I used to sing to myself when I heard it. The Mabie Todd 47 material is lovely; Deb at Goodwriter's pens had one of these leverless models up for sale on her site in the last update, but it isn't there any more! Yes I have a clip and a very nice nib to replace the mangled ruin that it is wearing at present.

This is my favourite violet ink. It reminds me of school days and threatening letters from the KGB.

Nicely put Scrawler it was what I was trying to touch on in my writing on the form. Have you actually received a threatening letter from the "People's Committee for State Security"?

I should state that I have been warned not to leave this ink in the pen as it will dry out. This is why I used the syringe pen for the first tests; it is by far the easiest pen to clean that I own - apart of course from a dip pen, but although I learned to write with these, they resolutely refuse to work for me these days - one dip for each word - hopeless! I tried the syringe filler this morning and it is still OK - started instantly, a feature I always appreciate.
Meanwhile I have been trying the blue; it has dried pretty dark so I suppose it may be an iron gall ink. In such matters I would await comment from the experts.

Cob

Scrawler
June 5th, 2015, 06:09 AM

Nicely put Scrawler it was what I was trying to touch on in my writing on the form. Have you actually received a threatening letter from the "People's Committee for State Security"?

Cob

My father did. He did not have Papa Stalin's permission to leave his glorious social experiment and he wanted me to be sent back, so that I could receive the proper education that a person such as myself deserved. It was all rather sad, because during a thaw in the cold war the local school district actually organized a friendship trip to Moscow, and I could not go because being still a Soviet citizen, I would not have been permitted to leave.

Scrawler
June 5th, 2015, 06:12 AM
BTW I should add, this ink has been extraordinarily hard to get in the west, despite being plentiful in the USSR. It was so plentiful that ladies would use it as hair dye. We are very lucky that we now have a modern mailing system and contacts like Yulia who can post it to us.

Scrawler
June 5th, 2015, 06:16 AM
Oh yes, another thing. I use this ink all the time, in pens with rubber sacs. It is not the ink in the sac that dries, it is the ink in the feed because it is exposed to air. If you do leave a pen unused for more than a couple days, you can suck a little water into the feed and the ink will flow again and as you write it will flush out the deposits in the feed.

Cob
June 5th, 2015, 08:03 AM

"My brain"!

Rgds

Cob

Cob

My father did. He did not have Papa Stalin's permission to leave his glorious social experiment and he wanted me to be sent back, so that I could receive the proper education that a person such as myself deserved. It was all rather sad, because during a thaw in the cold war the local school district actually organized a friendship trip to Moscow, and I could not go because being still a Soviet citizen, I would not have been permitted to leave.

Dreadful

What a bastard Stalin was; I'm amazed he still gets a much better press than Hitler (another bastard of course).

How did your father manage to get you out?

Cob

Scrawler
June 5th, 2015, 10:36 AM

Cob
I would rather not answer this in open forum, but will be happy to tell you in person when I get to the UK.

Cob
June 5th, 2015, 10:51 AM

"My brain"!

Rgds

Cob

Cob
I would rather not answer this in open forum, but will be happy to tell you in person when I get to the UK.

I quite understand.

Thanks for the reply.

Cob

Cob
June 9th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Update:

Yulia warns that the ink will dry out in the feed after a couple of days.

As I wrote I filled my old syringe-filler that has a slip cap, with the violet so it is quite a test. I was away for a couple of days, tried it today and it started instantly.

I also filled an Osmia 62 piston filler with the blue (blue-black really); that started instantly too.

So no problems here!

Cob