PDA

View Full Version : Shinola Detroit Notebooks

writingrav
June 7th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Anyone familiar with these?

bluefeathers
June 7th, 2015, 03:55 PM
I saw them in the bookstore for the first time today and have the same question!! They're sharp looking. But what kind of paper quality is it?

dharma-bum
June 10th, 2015, 01:02 PM
Paper quality is nice enough for my fine and medium Lamy with no bleed thru and very very little feathering. Ewsterbrook 9556 nibs love this paper and they DO look sharp.

Peace and Love

writingrav
June 10th, 2015, 01:06 PM
The paper is 90 gsm and should stand up to any fountain pen. I've ordered 2 and they come with a free monogram on the front. Talk about sharp!

Jon Szanto
June 10th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Hrm. Just saw some day before yesterday in an art supply store. I have to go back anyway, so maybe I'll try some out.

Like I need more blank, unwritten-in books around my place...

dharma-bum
June 10th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Like I need more blank, unwritten-in books around my place...

Don't we all?

naimitsu
June 12th, 2015, 10:02 PM
I saw a few of the medium sized one by the Shinola Watch counter at Nordstrom today and thought about buying one to try out. However, I didn't know anything about them and they were wall still in the plastic shrink wrap, so I couldn't do a feel test of the pages or see if there were lines (I suck at writing without lines).

I just checked out their website (http://www.shinola.com/shop/journals.html) and it looks like they have blank, ruled, and grid paper, though not all types are available in every color. The journals come in soft and hard cover, and have 3 sizes. It looks like they also have leather covers that fit their sizes.

I wouldn't be surprised if they really are FP friendly based on this part of their statement in the Process tab of the journals' product page, "Although the company’s machinery has evolved over the years, what hasn’t changed is the use of skilled craftspeople throughout the process—people who don’t just run machines, but whose experience and skill provides them with a nuanced understanding and tactile awareness of precisely how each inch of paper should look and feel. It’s ultimately this close attention to craft at each stage of production that sets their finished product apart."
The paper company has apparently been around since 1893 and seems to pride themselves on keeping with tradition.

They've been doing great things for the Detroit area craftspeople, and I've been on a bender to support local businesses and artists.

I think I'll be picking one or two up the next time I see them.

writingrav
June 14th, 2015, 05:38 PM
I have cracked open my first Shinola notebook. I bought the grid version because I really liked the color of the cover- forest green. The two I ordered will have regular lines and a beige cover.

As you can see it works pretty well with no real feathering, though I switched from a broad nib to a medium just to be sure. There is a tad more show through than I would have wanted, but writing over it was not a problem. All in all I'm satisfied. I especially like the page width.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/14/56650fea87bf27627eb8c3c5ea301443.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/14/aab0ad75b726cedcfaadd7788e0626ff.jpg

mskaggs
July 3rd, 2015, 06:18 PM
I've noticed them recently but I'm a little turned off by the brand's crazy diversity - they also make watches and bikes?? Not necessarily bad, but seems like a bit of "mission creep".

notsim
September 2nd, 2015, 06:53 PM
I have a 2015-2016 Shinola Detroit agenda. Starts in July and goes till the end of December, and has 18 sheets for additional notes after. I like the layout and the monthly view and birthday full year calendar are nice.

Miz Black Crow
January 8th, 2016, 04:06 PM
Sorry to necropost, but I was wondering: does anyone who's had one of these journals for some months now have an update on longevity? Thanks in advance.

penwash
January 9th, 2016, 06:59 AM
I've noticed them recently but I'm a little turned off by the brand's crazy diversity - they also make watches and bikes?? Not necessarily bad, but seems like a bit of "mission creep".

I see it differently.
Their watches are not cheap watches, and they have videos showing the process of the assembling the watch in the US.
Their journals are not cheap either, and they have videos showing the leather sourced in the US.

So I can see that they would have the means to maintain a diverse product lines, while upholding high standard of quality and customer service.
They just have to execute it.

I am personally glad that they make a big deal that they (as much as possible) do everything here in the US.

Scooby921
January 9th, 2016, 09:08 AM

I see it differently.
Their watches are not cheap watches, and they have videos showing the process of the assembling the watch in the US.
Their journals are not cheap either, and they have videos showing the leather sourced in the US.

So I can see that they would have the means to maintain a diverse product lines, while upholding high standard of quality and customer service.
They just have to execute it.

I am personally glad that they make a big deal that they (as much as possible) do everything here in the US.
Shinola is located inside Detroit's College for Creative Studies. While the watches are of Swiss design and content they are assembled here. I think some of the other items may be designed by students or faculty and the manufacture happens at the college as a means of educating and training. Obviously there are quality standards so they don't sell sub-par products, but part of the existence of Shinola these days is to provide jobs and skilled training to some of the not-so-well-off folks in Detroit.

notsim
January 15th, 2016, 10:26 AM
Sorry to necropost, but I was wondering: does anyone who's had one of these journals for some months now have an update on longevity? Thanks in advance.

The binding itself is fantastic, although I have been having bad luck with feathering in my planner so I have had to switch to a fine nib with MB mystery black to keep the feathering from getting to me.

writingrav
January 16th, 2016, 05:51 AM
It is definitely not fountain pen friendly despite being quite nice looking and very sturdy. If you want the latter two advantages then you must be comfortable using a fine or better still an extra fine nib.

scrivelry
March 11th, 2016, 01:20 PM
I write with a fine nib generally and now I will have to be on the lookout for these notebooks.