PDA

View Full Version : FPGeeks Give Away #6

dannzeman
April 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
http://www.fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/MG_0631.jpg (http://www.fpgeeks.com/2010/04/give-away-6/_mg_0631/)

First of all, let me apologize for not getting this up on time. We think all you foutain pen geeks out there will really like this one. It’s a nice package deal that includes a Moleskine 5×8 Sketchobook, a vintage bottle of Skrip ink with the integrated ink well, and a black Esterbrook SJ with a 9550 nib. Are you salivating yet? The best part about this contest is that all you have to do to enter is tell us how many pens you have in your collection AND how many do you think it will take before you’re content? Pretty simple, eh? Since I was late getting this up we’ll give you a little more time to enter. You have until Monday, April 26th, 2010 at 11:59pm to enter.

Kelly G
April 19th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Wow, simple you say?
How many pens in the accumulation? I'm a couple of hours distant from the Pen Cave (where the pen cabinets reside) so this is a guess - educated, but a guess nonetheless. Somewhere between 250 & 275. I may be counting high; it may be only 225 to 250 - I haven't taken a count in awhile. All restored and ready to write BTW. I have a bunch more in parts and pieces - but they don't count.

I'm pretty content right now. Having said that, I did put out a few bids on e-bay recently and I'm jonesing after that Henry Simpole pen that Ghost Plane is working on over on FPN as well as the Edison Pearl Urushi pen Brian Gray is pitching. But I don't have that kind of money in my pen savings right now - although....

Okami
April 19th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I think that I have about 75. I'm pretty content, but there is always something that catches my eye....

JohnCruzNg
April 19th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Currently I have only five fountain pens in my collection. I only started about a year and a half ago. I would probably be content with my collection when I reach about 10 or so. I am very picky about my pens so only the best get into my collection. Of course three of the five fountain pens I currently own were gifted to me.

FAmore
April 19th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I have three pens currently, I just started on this hobby in collecting and using fountain pens, its expensive but awsome. I don't think I will over do it and have a lot of pens, i'll be content with maybe 5-10 pens, including some everyday pens and some collectables.

donwinn
April 20th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I have about 60, but the number fluctuates, as I sell long-term unused pens, and get infatuated with new ones. Currently saving for a Pilot Custom 74 with SF nib, possibly a Bexley Ranger, or other similar pen, and likely an Indian ebonite pen of some sort. I had a few Wality eyedroppers once before, but sold them. Looking at some of the ones allwritenow.net has, with a converter installed.

Content, probably never, as my likes and dislikes change.

Donnie

Bourgeoisie
April 20th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I have 6. I think 10 will be enough, but I expect that to take a little while to get to because I have decided not to buy anymore "cheap" pens. All but one of my pens is worth less than $20, and now that I'm hooked all that I want are some higher-end pens.

Koyote
April 20th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I have four fountain pens, with nibs ranging from xf to medium. That about covers it for me, so I probably won't buy any more right now. Oh, wait a minute, I would really like to try a broad nib, so may buy one for my Pelikan (love those interchangeable nibs!) or just buy a whole pen with a broad if the opportunity presents itself.

gillyohan
April 20th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I currently have four FPs in my collection (Sapporo EF, m205 M, Safari EF/1.1i, Estie SJ w/ 2668). I don't want to have so many pens as to have to rotate in and out, to be honest, so I've just been trading or giving away pens, to keep my collection relatively small. I think one more pen, maybe an Estie SJ w/ 9550 (hah!), will keep me satisfied, as far as number is concerned.

sokuban
April 20th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I currently have 3 fountain pens.

Hero 508: This was my first fountain pen. It is a nice fine soft nib, but it is a dry writer that skips sometimes with a tiny ink capacity. If you give it a little pressure when you write it "works" though; I guess it was one of those pens that came out of the factory with ballpen users in mind.
Sheaffer 440: This has been used by my dad for years. Also a nice pen, but it has a huge foot on it that makes it really smooth and well flowing, but really broad, and unfortunately I like fine (or maybe even extra fine) pens. Recently, I have tried holding it at a higher angle (the foot is a really low angle, so now I'm trying holding it at a "normal" angle), and I don't get the foot so it is a little finer, but a little scratchy.
Sailor Fude de Mannen: This is a special Japanese pen used to imitate Chinese calligraphy. It works well, but I'm not really trained in Chinese calligraphy, so I can't really use it to its best potential.

It will take 1 pen for me to be content. I'm a fountain pen user, not a collector, but I'm not content yet because all the pens I have have some sort of problem that makes them not perfect. Once I have that perfect pen, I wouldn't need any more pens. (except Italic, flex, special script and whatnot)

That Esterbrook has a 9550 nib eh? @_@

major_works
April 20th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I've been using fountain pens for less than a year now and have the following on hand:
1. Lamy 2000 EF (just bought this one about a week ago and love it!)
2. Parker 51 aerometric with F nib (teal with lustraloy cap, someone's name on the barrel, a beater but great pen)
3. Varuna Rajan black ebonite ED with M nib (from allwritenow.net)
4. Lamy Safari Vista F
5. Kaweco Colleg V5 piston filler with F nib; this one's got problems that I hope to solve someday
6. Hero 5020 with F nib
7. Huashilai 3000 with F/M nib
8. Platinum Preppy with M nib (my dedicated Baystate Blue pen; I converted it to an ED)

Wow, that's more than I even thought. What will make me content? Well, I'd love to have a Vacumatic and/or a Duofold someday. I like my Varuna ED pen a lot and would like to explore the Indian-made ebonites a bit more. A grail pen for me would be one of Brian Gray's Edison Pens. Oh, and those Esterbrooks are supposed to be pretty nice!

Ernst Bitterman
April 20th, 2010, 09:01 AM
I made entry #290 in my catalogue yesterday, although that's not an accurate count since I have sold a few on. Let's say 280. I don't think contentment is to be found in numbers, but rather finding the standouts in the swarm. That's not quite half of them, so far.

Ted H
April 20th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I have about 40, plus 3 dip-less desk sets. I'll be satisfied---NEVER! :)

Lyntoni
April 20th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I just signed up to this forum and am very excited about it! At this point I have about 300 vintage pens in my collection...many in various stages of restoraton. And how many until I am content? Yeah...right...content with the number of pens I have! You guys are funny!
Sure would love to add this Esterbrook...just saying!

carpedavid
April 20th, 2010, 12:41 PM
Including the Pilot Falcon I just bought yesterday, I now have 11 pens in my collection. I can't say that I'm ever going to be satisfied, honestly. There are too many wonderful writing instruments out there to ever feel like I'm finished.

mollzo_DK
April 20th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Wow. That is a really nice gesture!!

- I have 3 fountain pens at the moment. I started using them in school and my handwriting have improved a great deal using these fine writing instruments!

- I think I will gather a collection of about 10 pens in due time (in school right now, so not much cash to put into FPs). It is certainly a hobby that I will appreciate for the rest of my life!!!

Morten

penspouse
April 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Between my Hubby and I (OURS), too many to count. (They are stored in too many places.) Of those that I claim as MINE, I count 41. (All, but 3, are vintage) That is unless Hubby has snagged others, and has them with him at work, and I can't remember which ones they are. I am very content with what I have, but wouldn't discount buying more if the price was right.

Tortoise
April 20th, 2010, 04:38 PM
I have about 51 nice fountain pens that I use myself, plus two nice Pelikanos (courtesy of the wonderful Pear Tree Pens) and 10 Parker Vectors that I loan out to my students in Senior English. As for being content -- ha! I've been obsessed with pens and office supplies since I was a kid. This will never end!

PMS
April 20th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Very nice. I have 32 fountain pens. I don't think I'll ever stop but I am a lot more selective now.
PMS

dwong
April 20th, 2010, 10:37 PM
I have 3 at the moment, but I think I will be happy at around 7 :)

RobbW
April 20th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the generous giveaway!! I have one FP, a Parker 51 Aerometric F point. It's my first and only FP, and my everyday pen as well. I love it enough that I'm interested in getting a Pelikan as a new-model everyday workhorse. After that I'd like to collect different vintage pens to learn the nuances among them and figure out what works for me.

I got the Parker because it reminded me of my grandfather, and I'm interested in practicing my penmanship. I like it enough that I want to continue down this path and see where it takes me.

TWRDO
April 20th, 2010, 11:26 PM
At the moment I have 15, with 5 more on the way (counting pens I plan on repairing and selling). Of those I consider 10 to be part of my "permanent" collection. I plan on slowly adding to my personal collection for a long time to come, so who knows how many I'll end up with.

bpendleton
April 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
I have 7 fountain pens, 4 inks. I'm still looking for 1 or 2 more nice pens (my current set are all worth under $30), and maybe another few inks for special circumstances.

southpaw52
April 21st, 2010, 02:41 PM
I have reached the 200+ mark . In the beginning of my fountain pen journey I was not selective in my choices. Accumulated some junk pens that are not restorable, my other downfall was buying cheap Chinese pens which I do not count in my collection. My focus now are Sheaffer's especially Snorkels, and Military clips, and Watermans. I hope to in the near future learn how to repack my pens that need new bladders, work on learning how to clean polish my pens. Since I am out to pasture I think this would be a great project. I do not think you can too many pens. Especially when comes to vintage you are actively keeping history alive.
When craftsmanship and quality matter. My Holy Grail pen would be a Parker Vacumatic it seems to just elude me and my price range right now.

mrloco
April 21st, 2010, 05:28 PM
I have about 60 but ~35 of those are inexpensive ones I bought to give away or test ink (hero 616s for example). I am pretty satisfied with what I've got but think if I can get my hands on a Pilot M90 and a Sterling Parker Cisele FP/MP/BP set I'll be just about done.....for a while.

mattjs
April 21st, 2010, 07:57 PM
I currently stand at two pens, a Lamy Studio and Safari. I have a Waterman hemisphere on the way from eBay and a glass dip pen coming as well, so that'll bring me up to a hefty 4!

That said, I do have a wish list of pens that I will, eventually acquire, most Watermans. Although, that lava pen from Visconti sure looks interesting... Too many choices for a FP newbie! Between pens and inks, it's almost overwhelming. And then paper? Oh Paper! That might be my real downfall

bigstick
April 21st, 2010, 11:13 PM
I have seven in use and four true ancients tucked away. I feel humble in the Presence, but worthy of a mate for my LJ.

Bucolic Buffalo
April 22nd, 2010, 08:43 AM
19 I think. No telling how many I may have in another year. I have been a bit more picky about purchases. The most recent was a Millennium Arc Visconti.

SMK
April 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hey - nice to be here. Wouldn't it be grand to win an Esterbrook with my very first post!!!

I have 17 pens from 8 brands. I will consider my collection complete with exactly 5 more pens that are on my list (one of these is an Esterbrook :-)

S.

mana
April 22nd, 2010, 11:34 AM
I currently have nine pens but who knows the limit when it comes to collecting things... So I have to answer that the limit is not a number but my ability to find enjoyment in acquiring, using and collecting the pens themselves. Admittedly and sadly, the limit is also my finances.

Usability and feel is very important to me as alongside of being objects that provide me with aesthetic, functional and tactile pleasure fountain pens are also essential tools for drawing, sketching and writing. I have pretty much completely abandoned all other means of writing that are based on dispensing liquid or semi-liquid dye on paper.

That said I am always on the lookout for pristine specimens of the pen models I currently have my eye on and collect. This is especially bad as my background is of the artist/designer/craftsman kind, eye for detail is elevated to an entirely new level when it comes to things I acquire for collecting. So I buy multiples, one or two in different nib sizes for use (usually XF/B nibs) and the rest as safe queens (in various nib sizes). And when I find a better quality version of a particular pen the collection gets rotated, user pens are sold away, safe queens demoted to user status and new safe queens reigning supreme (who knows for how long...). ;)

inkcoffee
April 22nd, 2010, 06:37 PM
Hello! I have over 100 fountain pens , there are many duplicates (Safaris, 78Gs and Preras). I probably won't ever be done buying fountain pens, it has slowed down a lot though. Probably a new pen every 3 months or so now. I am satisfied with the pens I have but there is always something interesting in this hobby.

Sharkbait
April 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
I currently have two pens a Pilot Vanishing Point and a Hero 616... just started 5months ago. I think when my collection reaches about 10 pens I will be satisfied but who knows it my become too much of an addiction :D

Thrage1
April 23rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
Ok let's see here in order of purchase ( I only started seriously 4 months ago)
1. An old sheaffer made in the USA unknown name
2. Pelikan future
3. Lamy safari
4. Namiki vanishing point med
5. 3 jinhao dragons offspring
8. Dragons pearl
9. Waterman 12 slip cap eyedropper fill super flex
10. Pelikan m200 2 nibs
11. Pelikan m800 2 nibs
12. Vintage conklin crescent filler fine flex I love this pen
13. Namiki Fermo medium nib I love this one too
14 I think I got this one a lot earlier Parker reflex
15. Almost forgot lamy 2000
16 another vanishing point with italic nib
17. A waterman vintage number 54 with a stub nib that's supposed to be close to a wet noodle oh I can't wait to try this one it's still on the way, should be here in 2 weeks
18. Namiki falcon

so I guess I have 18
I need just one more
then another one then another one all in the quest for the perfect fountain pen
I'm a college student I can't stop I've caught the fp bug oh I'm too young for this. Wish I'd waited till after college when I will have more money to dedicate to this.

LeonChan
April 23rd, 2010, 03:42 PM
I Have 5, and I think I'll need 10 to keep me satisfied. I can always have more room on my shirt pocket :D

Breck
April 23rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I have about 15-20, but at least half of those are to be restored and sold, so call it 10 in my own private collection.

I could definitely be happy at well under 30 pens. I'd like to think I could be happy with just 3, but ya gotta try everything at least once first, right?

Wile E Coyote
April 23rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
150+

Can you ever have enough?

Gormley
April 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
A cool giveaway for the complete pen nut.
How many pens - I don't know really. I stopped counting about a year ago when I realized that I am going to die before I get to use them all. Still, if I see something I really like that can still achieve a balance between insanity and financial harmony, I'm in. So I guess that's the dilemma of many collectors; that if you tried to justify this habit you wouldn't be able to, and if you were rational, then you'd realize that you should put a stop to it...but you can't. And that is what is both profound and enduring about pen collecting...that you do this for a lifetime.

OK OK so I didn't really answer the question...still, this was fun to contemplate.

ajd
April 23rd, 2010, 06:34 PM
Right now I have 5 pens: 3 Esterbrooks, a Lamy, and a Levenger TrueWriter. I'm not sure when I'll stop. My next pen is going to be a Pelikan M215. Maybe that will be enough, but probably not.

maxh
April 23rd, 2010, 11:36 PM
I have one pen in use and another pen I no longer use (due to the cap not staying on correctly). I'd be happy with just a few pens.

Maruk
April 24th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I currently have no pens, but one is on the way. I have also signed up for the TWSBI pre-order, so those may be #2 and 3. I honestly don't know how many I'll collect before I stop - especially seeing how quickly I have moved in only one day, and I can only think of what will happen when I get to inks.

Gapato
April 24th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I currently use a Lamy Studio and a Waterman Carene (Silver). I love them both ! Maybe I'd like to try a fine nib though. I want only a few pens, so I can enjoy them all.

brubj7a0
April 24th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I currently have 3 fountain pens and would like to have 2 or 3 more. Thanks for posting this giveaway!

RR4U
April 25th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I have about 70, i don't think i will ever stop buying them. :o

stevlight
April 25th, 2010, 02:48 PM
40!! I think I will be happy at 45 tops. Right now I am not buying anymore but there are a some I am thinking about but will probably talk myself out of.

JohnGerard
April 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM
I have 23 pens right now. My favorites are an Omas Paragon and a Saibi Togi. I am always seeing new pens I haven't heard of before since I am a relative newbie, and I want to try them. Probably be satisfied at infinity squared...

bardolator
April 25th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Five:
a Mont Blanc (Chopin-sized, but from before they renamed them)--needs a converter
a Pelikan M400 (white/tortoise)--my pride and joy :)
a problematic vintage Parker 45 Flighter
a Lamy Al-Star (silver with a black nib)
a Rotring Core

I'd love to try an Esty someday.

mjh
April 25th, 2010, 05:21 PM
First, thank you for the giveaway.

I currently have three fountain pens;

a charcoal Lamy Safari with an EF nib that I've been feeding with Lamy Blue ink
a Lamy Vista M (though I have a spare EF for it) that I've been filling with Pelikan 4001 Royal blue
a Lamy 2000 EF kept as my signature and important document pen with Noodler's Bulletproof Black

I have no clue how many pens in total I'd like. I know I'd like a couple Esterbrooks, a VP, a MYU, a Stipula Da Vinci Infinity, definitely the blue m205 demonstrator, and a variety of others. Demonstrators are a particular favorite.

-MJ

twigee89
April 25th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Currently I have one pen in my possession, and one on the way, I will not be happy untill i find the perfect pen.....However, some say that perfection is something that can never be achieved, only strived for....so perhaps i will never be happy

dannzeman
April 26th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Including the Pilot Falcon I just bought yesterday, I now have 11 pens in my collection. I can't say that I'm ever going to be satisfied, honestly. There are too many wonderful writing instruments out there to ever feel like I'm finished.
Guess what, Dave, you now have 12 pens in your collection! You're the winner of this fabulous fountain pen package!
I'll be sending you a PM to get your shipping info.

For those of you who didn't win we would like to thank you all for participating and our next give away is up. Check it out here: hhttp://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/145-FPGeeks-Give-Away-7?p=930#post930 (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/145-FPGeeks-Give-Away-7?p=930#post930)

nrepose
April 26th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Total pens is probably around 250 and I have around 20 fountain pens included in that collection. It is probably obvious by my uncertain answers that how many pens I have is not important, which means that I will never be content with my collection. Nr

djorourke
April 26th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I have only one pen that isn't disposable. It's a Waterman Expert Urban. And it makes me smile every time I write.

I think I'd like 3 "proper" pens. Just enough colour to liven' up my planner and notebooks.

But I think I'll always have a number of disposable V-Pens floating around, "just in case."