PDA

View Full Version : The Clicking Kaweco Skyline Sport

micat
June 10th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I love my little Kaweco Skyline Sport pen. It rides in my hip pocket all day, every day. It has a bad habit now - while it writes perfectly fine as ever (perhaps the start is ever-so-barely slow), it clicks! I mean, there's an annoying, audible "click" about half the time when I lift the pen from the paper. For printing, it's a click-fest! I am probably more sensitive to audio annoyances than most people, so understand that the volume is very low.

I watched the FPG nib tuning video, and think there is a slight difference in the two tines, that is slightly less than it was since I pushed one down. Is nib tuning what I should be looking to correct this issue?

tandaina
June 10th, 2015, 10:42 PM
The only time I've had a 'click' was with a nib someone had flexed too far. One tine actually laid on top of the other. When pressed to the paper they spread enough to write, lift and click they snapped back on top of each other. But the Sport nib should be way too hard for even the heaviest hand to have done something like that to it, I'd think! (my Kaweco steel nib is a nail!)

Tiggercat
June 11th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Just experienced this with an AL Sport - in my case, the nib was loose. Screwing it back in (only about 1/8 of a turn clockwise) stopped the click and seems to have improved the ink flow, although that last part might be my imagination.

micat
June 15th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the insight. I was foolish and left my pen in pocket and it took a spin through the washing machine (!) Luckily the ink level was quite low at the time. I found it at the bottom of course, uncapped, and when I rinsed it out and inked it up again, the clicking is gone - the line is a tad wider now, but it seem to function fine. So I guess the tines mus have been overlapping to produce that sound. Boy did I feel like a dork when I found that pen in the machine!