PDA

View Full Version : Sticker Residue on Pilot Custom 823 Cap

Susan3141
June 11th, 2015, 12:28 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have a good suggestion on now to remove the sticker residue from the cap of a Pilot Custom 823? It comes with a sticker reminding the user to open the plunger knob to let the ink flow. I got the sticker off but the residue is stubborn. I don't want to scratch the cap, and I figure using Googone would be inadvisable. I tried using a little dish soap and water but that didn't work.

Thanks,

Susan

Waski_the_Squirrel
June 11th, 2015, 12:41 PM
A little bit of vegetable oil might dissolve the glue. I often use it on other labels, and it won't hurt the plastic.

Warning: I did not actually need to use vegetable oil on my own 823. The stickers came off easily. So, I don't know if it will work in this specific instance.

Jon Szanto
June 11th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Another way that sometimes works and doesn't do any damage is fighting fire with fire! I take a piece of Scotch tape, fold back part of it on itself to have an area to grip, and place it on the sticky area. Pull the tape off, and often it will remove some or all of the original sticker residue. If it takes some (but not all) of it off, re-apply, repeatedly. Sometimes a new piece. Often this is a very easy way to remove that residue by causing it to stick to one of it's soul-mates in stickiness.

Good luck!

KBeezie
June 11th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Can probably dab some rubbing alcohol on the finger and just kind of roll the tip of your finger around it as the glue material starts to roll up and bunch up to the point that you eventually get most of it rolled off the surface of it. Provided there's no dirt or granules of sand on it, should be fine.

Special K
June 12th, 2015, 04:44 AM
Test

tandaina
June 12th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Goo gone?

Giovanni Abrate
June 12th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Not GooGone: way too aggressive. Ethyl alcool (70º) or try WD40.

reprieve
June 12th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I take a piece of Scotch tape, fold back part of it on itself to have an area to grip, and place it on the sticky area. Pull the tape off, and often it will remove some or all of the original sticker residue. If it takes some (but not all) of it off, re-apply, repeatedly.

This is what I usually do.

Although, I have to admit, I did have one sticker (also on a Pilot pen!) that was very stuck and I resorted to Goo Gone out of frustration. It didn't discolor or damage the pen, and it did remove the sticker, but I was careful to wash the area with soapy water as soon as the sticky stuff came off. I don't know that I'd recommend Goo Gone, per se, (i.e., use it at your own risk) but it worked for me when nothing else would.

dr.grace
June 12th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Alcohols are definitely NOT recommended for plastics. They can cause crazing. But Jon's suggestion of Scotch tape is a good one.

Wile E Coyote
June 12th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I'll add a third for the tape idea. If scotch tape doesn't work try packing tape. As a last resort try mineral oil.

Alcohols can craze certain plastics and you probably don't want to be the person posting which alcohol doesn't work with the 823. Run, don't walk away from denatured alcohol as the denaturants can include toluene and xylene which will react with plastic. I'd personally avoid WD-40 since it has petroleum products which can react with certain plastics. GooGone or orange cleaners can be a bit harsh.

tandaina
June 12th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Huh, I've also used goo gone on some stubborn sticker stuff and it worked fine without any damage. (Modern pen, not old celluloids or anything.)

Special K
June 12th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Test

Special K
June 12th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Test

Special K
June 12th, 2015, 10:05 PM
Thanx

Wile E Coyote
June 13th, 2015, 03:55 AM
Notice I said CAN. It's not in every formulation. But a quick search of MSDS has heptane (https://engineering.case.edu/thinkbox/sites/engineering.case.edu.thinkbox/files/msds-1-denatured_alcohol.pdf) and acetic acid (http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/QKGA75003_KSG_Denatured_Alcohol_MSDS.pdf) as denaturants. I'd search more but I'm too lazy. They have to put something in the DNA to keep alcoholics from drinking it without paying the tax.

Wile E Coyote
June 13th, 2015, 03:56 AM
Alcohols are definitely NOT recommended for plastics. They can cause crazing. But Jon's suggestion of Scotch tape is a good one.

You are definitely wrong. I've dabbed a q-tip soaked in denatured alcohol on sticker residue several times.

Have you used DNA on a Pilot 823? Or GooGone?

Buy a Pilot 823 try both then report your results. Don't let the OP be the guinea pig.

edited because my fingers are too big for the keyboard

KBeezie
June 13th, 2015, 05:04 AM

There are various kinds of plastics, and an 823 is a modern pen using modern plastics. Would be interesting to see if any of the modern Pilots showed any crazing.

dr.grace
June 13th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Like Wile E Coyote said, whoever is "brave" enough to try alcohol on his or her Custom 823, please let us know how it came out!

Special K
June 13th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Thanx

Special K
June 13th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Thanx

Special K
June 13th, 2015, 02:35 PM
Wile E coyote and dr grace. You should just stop beating around the bush and just go ahead and call me a liar. Again, I have already used DNA to remove the residue that is left behind on the 823. I am blown away that the 2 of of you don't already know this works perfectly fine. If you soak the top of a q-tip and rub it on the glue residue it will remove it and cause no damage to your 823. PERIOD. In the future, if you don't know for sure, keep your mouth shut. I'm not talking to Kbeezie or Jon santo. They didn't criticize my suggestion, they gave their own. Giovanni abrate gave wrong info but he didn't criticize mine. GOO GONE Original is perfectly fine for this. Coyote and grace, here's a good way for you to proceed.
If in the future someone says that an umbrella is a good way to keep the rain off your head; you should resist the temptation to tell them they are wrong.

Jon Szanto
June 13th, 2015, 03:15 PM
If in the future someone says that an umbrella is a good way to keep the rain off your head; you should resist the temptation to tell them they are wrong.

In the future, if someone disagrees with you, you should resist the temptation to tell them to "keep your mouth shut". It just isn't civil dialogue to do that. After all, they are simply not agreeing with you, that's all, and that is their right.

mhosea
June 13th, 2015, 05:03 PM

You are definitely wrong. I've dabbed a q-tip soaked in denatured alcohol on sticker residue several times.

So much in life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Personally, when dr.grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen. But that's just me.

It just depends on the plastic. Sometimes people may sound overcautious in these matters because they are thinking primarily of vintage pens and of modern luxury pens made with celluloid or other plastics that might be selected for their beauty rather than their chemical resistance profile. Celluloid will definitely be damaged by exposure to alcohol. However, most of today's resin pens are made with PMMA, I think, and PMMA has very good alcohol resistance. I would guess that Pilot is using PMMA, so I do not think an 823 is likely to be damaged by brief exposure to isopropyl or ethyl alcohol. Going back in time, however, one does not have to go far to find pens made with various plastics that will craze or even begin to melt when exposed to alcohol. Take a Sheaffer Snorkel or Touchdown, for example. The effect is instantaneous and obvious.

Having said all that, I probably wouldn't use alcohol because it isn't very good at dissolving the adhesive. It's a lot better than water, obviously, but that's not saying much. I do suspect original Goo Gone is probably going to be OK (if WD-40 is), but since the adhesive will rub off over time with no intervention at all, caution is wise. A high-quality, very sticky tape is the ideal approach...if it works. Only one way to find out.

dr.grace
June 13th, 2015, 06:39 PM

So much in life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Personally, when dr.grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen. But that's just me.

It just depends on the plastic. Sometimes people may sound overcautious in these matters because they are thinking primarily of vintage pens and of modern luxury pens made with celluloid or other plastics that might be selected for their beauty rather than their chemical resistance profile. Celluloid will definitely be damaged by exposure to alcohol. However, most of today's resin pens are made with PMMA, I think, and PMMA has very good alcohol resistance. I would guess that Pilot is using PMMA, so I do not think an 823 is likely to be damaged by brief exposure to isopropyl or ethyl alcohol. Going back in time, however, one does not have to go far to find pens made with various plastics that will craze or even begin to melt when exposed to alcohol. Take a Sheaffer Snorkel or Touchdown, for example. The effect is instantaneous and obvious.

Having said all that, I probably wouldn't use alcohol because it isn't very good at dissolving the adhesive. It's a lot better than water, obviously, but that's not saying much. I do suspect original Goo Gone is probably going to be OK (if WD-40 is), but since the adhesive will rub off over time with no intervention at all, caution is wise. A high-quality, very sticky tape is the ideal approach...if it works. Only one way to find out.

You give me too much credit! I'm a cell biologist, not a chemist. Farmboy would be the one to ask.

Of course, it's correct that not all plastics are harmed by alcohols (we use some plastic test tubes that handle them just fine), but I wouldn't want to advise anyone to take the risk with a not-inexpensive pen.

mhosea
June 13th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I'm a cell biologist, not a chemist. Farmboy would be the one to ask.

Believe it or not, I knew that. I knew both those things, actually. Where's Farmboy when you need him? Still cataloging his hoard?

Special K
June 13th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Thanx

mhosea
June 13th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Mhuckypuck tried to resist. You didn't directly address me, you should have. Doing it indirectly makes you look bad. You don't need any help, there. You do a pretty good job of making yourself look like an ignorant suck up. " Hence, when dr. grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen but that's just me. You also said that so much of life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Wow, that sounded real profound but it was just a bunch of rubbish.

I'm going to assume I'm "Mhuckypuck". I was talking directly to you. You seem to have misread my meaning. I was suggesting that you ought to have taken what dr.grace said more seriously. In point of fact, I myself did not entirely agree with dr.grace's point, since I thought it rather likely that alcohol would not harm a Pilot Custom 823 when used to remove sticker residue in any reasonable way. I also suspect, but do not know, that Goo Gone will be just fine. I have not edited my previous response. Read it again if you did not understand it properly the first time. I only fall short of recommending these solutions because I couldn't find any documentation on the Pilot site about the type of plastic used in the Custom 823. Since you've done it, you can recommend it on the basis of your own experience. I was not suggesting that others should not listen to you in this very particular matter. Not at all.

My objection to your response, however, was that you were responding to a general statement with only the knowledge of some few particular situations like this one. If you knew more, you'd understand why alcohol should be avoided for use on pens in general. It's not that it will harm all pens. It won't. But it most certainly will harm a great many of them, mostly vintage, but some modern, like these (http://www.nibs.com/platinum-celluloid-fountain-pens.html).

Jon Szanto
June 13th, 2015, 10:08 PM
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/59601040.jpg

Some of you are so absolutely laughable. nurse grace, now you're back pedaling. First you and puppy coyote said no alcohol should be used to clean any plastics. And that I should buy an 823 and prove it. That infers that I was lying. But little johnnie szanto says that is civil dialogue. Mhuckypuck tried to resist. You didn't directly address me, you should have. Doing it indirectly makes you look bad. You don't need any help, there. You do a pretty good job of making yourself look like an ignorant suck up. " Hence, when dr. grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen but that's just me. You also said that so much of life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Wow, that sounded real profound but it was just a bunch of rubbish. I could care less if you listen to me. You wouldn't have looked so stupid if nurse grace had backed you up. But she didn't. She back pedaled. Some of you just insist on being hateful. This wasn't civil dialogue. Fric and frac jumped on me right away. And little jonnie dumbo decides to be their council and talk about their rights. Susan 3141 I'm sorry for helping to derail your thread. Get a small bottle of GOO GONE. I promise you, it won't hurt your 823.. Please accept my apology, as well, Tandaina.

Seriously, Mr./Ms. K: in what social circle or environs is it considered a positive attribute to simply call other people silly names in lieu of intelligent argument?

Special K
June 13th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Thanx

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2015, 12:17 AM
So, I can be insulted up one end and down the other but if I call others silly little names, why, that's just not intelligent.

If you'll go back and read the thread from the beginning, like every other reader has or will, you'll notice who, in a large way, was the very first person to step onto the Ad Hominem Express. You just don't have a leg to stand on, K: people weren't insulting you. Even when/if you have something solid to add, you totally blow it by going off the rails. Mercury is moving out of retrograde, so hopefully things will be improving.

Special K
June 14th, 2015, 04:57 AM
Thanx

Susan3141
June 14th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Um. Hi. I'm the OP. I didn't mean to start a war.

I used a little vegetable oil to get the residue off. It worked great. There wasn't much residue left. So, thanks to the person who suggested vegetable oil.

Problem solved! Okay? My 823 is shiny and happy.

Peace?

Susan

reprieve
June 14th, 2015, 08:46 AM
So, I can be insulted up one end and down the other but if I call others silly little names, why, that's just not intelligent. Hey M hose. What little you now know is from your researching over the last several hours. You are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. Now you're contradicting nurse grace.. She has back pedaled far enough to admit that I'm right.. This is getting old and stupid. You guys are illiterate. You have no lives. This forum is your whole world.. And no, I didn't need to take nurse grace more seriously, she was wrong. Mister hose, you really are pitiful. Go give each other a back rub. Just goes to show, you can not argue with ignorance. Go play with your cheap pens. Better yet, get a girlfriend.

Wow, you little girls really must feel threatened by me. You don't need to be, just stop being ignorant geekiziods that have nothing better to do then to convince others that I'm a bad guy. Hokie, we're talking about an 823. Not a bunch of vintage pens from the fifties why is it so important for you mental midgets to prove me wrong. Little jonnie, you're the Ad hominem racer, you're the the one that talks about fairness and rights. All these cute little analogies you use says that you want to continue to cause problems. Why don't the two of you go play in the sandbox. It really is over

Your posts in this thread are extraordinarily condescending and impolite. I cannot take what you say seriously because of the uncivil way that you insist on saying it. You may want to take a breath and consider how you come across to others before hitting that "post quick reply" button.

reprieve
June 14th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Um. Hi. I'm the OP. I didn't mean to start a war.

I used a little vegetable oil to get the residue off. It worked great. There wasn't much residue left. So, thanks to the person who suggested vegetable oil.

Problem solved! Okay? My 823 is shiny and happy.

Peace?

Susan

Susan, I'm glad you solved the problem. Thanks for letting us know what worked for you.

Now that the sticker is removed, how do you like that 823? :)

Laura N
June 14th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Some of you are so absolutely laughable. nurse grace, now you're back pedaling. First you and puppy coyote said no alcohol should be used to clean any plastics. And that I should buy an 823 and prove it. That infers that I was lying. But little johnnie szanto says that is civil dialogue. Mhuckypuck tried to resist. You didn't directly address me, you should have. Doing it indirectly makes you look bad. You don't need any help, there. You do a pretty good job of making yourself look like an ignorant suck up. " Hence, when dr. grace says something even modestly scientific, I tend to listen but that's just me. You also said that so much of life depends on the skill of distinguishing the people you should listen to from those you should not. Wow, that sounded real profound but it was just a bunch of rubbish. I could care less if you listen to me. You wouldn't have looked so stupid if nurse grace had backed you up. But she didn't. She back pedaled. Some of you just insist on being hateful. This wasn't civil dialogue. Fric and frac jumped on me right away. And little jonnie dumbo decides to be their council and talk about their rights. Susan 3141 I'm sorry for helping to derail your thread. Get a small bottle of GOO GONE. I promise you, it won't hurt your 823.. Please accept my apology, as well, Tandaina.

So, I can be insulted up one end and down the other but if I call others silly little names, why, that's just not intelligent. Hey M hose. What little you now know is from your researching over the last several hours. You are the one that doesn't know what you're talking about. Now you're contradicting nurse grace.. She has back pedaled far enough to admit that I'm right.. This is getting old and stupid. You guys are illiterate. You have no lives. This forum is your whole world.. And no, I didn't need to take nurse grace more seriously, she was wrong. Mister hose, you really are pitiful. Go give each other a back rub. Just goes to show, you can not argue with ignorance. Go play with your cheap pens. Better yet, get a girlfriend.

Wow, you little girls really must feel threatened by me. You don't need to be, just stop being ignorant geekiziods that have nothing better to do then to convince others that I'm a bad guy. Hokie, we're talking about an 823. Not a bunch of vintage pens from the fifties why is it so important for you mental midgets to prove me wrong. Little jonnie, you're the Ad hominem racer, you're the the one that talks about fairness and rights. All these cute little analogies you use says that you want to continue to cause problems. Why don't the two of you go play in the sandbox. It really is over

Ging Ging, I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt the first time around. I realized you are prone to reading insults where none is intended, and that's a hard burden to carry. I'm sure you're a nice guy. I assume you've had some bad experiences. I can sympathize: I want everyone to get along, always, but I've lost my temper at times on this forum and made posts that were overly sharp and that I regretted. This is a nice place, though, and most people forgive that kind of thing. Or, resent it forever, but what can you do? :)

You've got a second chance here, and people will give that to you. Please, for your own sake, and the sake of people here who want a more pleasant environment, please stop doing this kind of thing. I agree with Reprieve. Maybe instead of posting when you are very angry, instead of making everything personal (which it almost never is), just write it up in a Word document, or TextEdit, or even on pen and paper. Then sit on it instead of posting.

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2015, 11:17 AM

Yay!!!

Susan3141
June 14th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I love it. I filled it with Pelikan Edelstein Amber and it just wasn't writing well. I don't know why. I emptied it, did some Goulet pen flush, used a little piece of acetate between the tines, and filled with Iroshizuku Tsukushi. Flow is great and the pen writes smoothly. I don't know if the pen just didn't like Amber ink or if there was silicone residue that cleaning fixed, but it's working perfectly now.

Special K
June 14th, 2015, 05:32 PM
Thanx

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2015, 05:51 PM
So, to politely correct you, Wile e coyote was the first to be rude, when he said have you even tried this on an 823? Go buy one and try it then post your results. And don't let the op be the guinea pig. I had already said i have used DNA on an 823. He either didn't read it, or chose not to believe it.

I see nothing of the sort. I see a reference to "on the rare occasion this happens to me", not to an 823, and all of your comments in posts 5, 12, 13, and 14 are general in nature, not specific to the pen model (as were my comments - I have never owned an 823). So you are already failing. The rest is noise.

You don't like it when people are direct with you, you have some absolute need to be right, you are obsessed with back-pedaling, and all the rest. We've solved the problem for the OP, and you still insist on pleading a non-existent case. Nothing that anyone did or said compares to your behavior, and everyone reading the thread is aware of this. Some self-reflection away from the computer would be of value.

mhosea
June 14th, 2015, 05:57 PM
If I say DNA works great, and one of several responses from another is, don't walk, run away from DNA.

Perhaps you can answer a question. How do you decide whether or not it is safe to use denatured alcohol on a given pen? Suppose it is a Visconti or some other expensive modern pen. Is DNA always safe in your opinion?

Special K
June 14th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Thanx

tandaina
June 14th, 2015, 06:52 PM
I love it. I filled it with Pelikan Edelstein Amber and it just wasn't writing well. I don't know why. I emptied it, did some Goulet pen flush, used a little piece of acetate between the tines, and filled with Iroshizuku Tsukushi. Flow is great and the pen writes smoothly. I don't know if the pen just didn't like Amber ink or if there was silicone residue that cleaning fixed, but it's working perfectly now.

Those Pelikan inks just don't flow well in everything I'm finding. I prefer them in European pens, which maybe makes sense?

Special K
June 14th, 2015, 06:57 PM
Thanx

Jon Szanto
June 14th, 2015, 07:06 PM
You make no sense. I could care less about your inability to afford an 823. How does that make me failing, already? "Being direct with me?" Huh, you don't like people to stand up to you. It makes you look bad. I could care less if some one thinks I'm ignorant or not. On the other hand, it's very important to you that others see you as brilliant, thoughtful, with a large grasp of English diction. Jon, you are so sad, you would even try to impress a drunkard with your brilliance. You didn't have any comments specific to this pen. You only jumped in to impress others with your wit. You're the one who needs some self reflection. Speaking of behavior, nothing in your post rises above my behavior. I'm just a simpleton but you're going crazy trying to put me in my place. You've even resorted to counting my posts, looking for some "he said, she said" And in all honesty, it's your behavior that has been amongst the worst. I don't need to plead my case; I'm right. Oh yeah, thanx for solving the problem

Hey, Einstein, you're making up stuff by the second sentence.

Special K
June 14th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Thanx

Special K
June 14th, 2015, 07:11 PM
Thanx

Special K
June 14th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Thanx

reprieve
June 14th, 2015, 08:33 PM
Reprieve, Laura N. I bet you think I was being cruel towards mhosea. I wasn't trying to plead any case with him. I wasn't even talking to him. He just couldn't let it go. "I'll cross him up with this question. I'll redeem myself and put Special K in his place, once and for all". mhosea, you're not as smart as I am. Don't do that anymore. I can take the wrong side of an issue and beat you. You're just that dumb. I guess some of you think I'm using excessive force. Just remember, he started it.
THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

I hesitate to post this because I now understand that engaging with you is futile.

That said, however, I have to say that you're missing the point.

You have a negative attitude. You continually lash out at others. It isn't about who is "right" and who is "wrong." People here are (were) willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but you aren't (weren't) willing to extend them that same courtesy. I don't know why you feel so persecuted; I'm very sorry that you do, and I truly hate that you think people are constantly attacking you somehow. But when you respond to an open inquiry by belittling, insulting, and blatantly taunting other members, well, I'm just not sure how you can expect anything other than hostility toward your posts--especially when you end them with incendiary declarations such as "THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED."

That kind of behavior just does not foster trust or good will.

mhosea
June 14th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Sorry. I didn't mean to keep you waiting, but I had other things to do.

The reason I asked is because you are so adamant about being "right", that I thought it would be helpful to everyone else to clarify exactly what you think you're "right" about, and for the benefit of people who come along and read this thread later, I wanted it to make it more clear why the standard advice you will get from pen experts is to keep alcohol away from your pens, despite that some of them can take it. The problem is that it's hard to know before hand whether the pen in your hand is the one kind or the other without actually trying alcohol on it.

Visconti and other pen makers sometimes use celluloid for its beauty. Unfortunately, celluloid will be damaged by exposure to alcohol. Here is celluloid before exposure to a mere swipe of denatured alcohol on a Q-tip.

And here is the same celluloid after.

I didn't "research" this. These are my photos, taken with my microscope. Even when the plastic is acrylic or some such, I'm not sure I would counsel the use of alcohol on it. I thought the grip section of my Sailor King of Pen was made of PMMA, and I gave it a wipe with alcohol at some point. But it frosted over a bit. Fortunately it was superficial and easily polished out. This poor guy (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/290917-sitb-revisited/?p=3363215) seems to have had a worse experience with alcohol on a modern Sailor pen, supposedly PMMA. It's just hard to know what's going to happen when you put alcohol on a pen. That's where the generic advice to avoid alcohol comes from. It's not personal. It's just good advice to help keep people from damaging their pens accidentally.

Special K
June 14th, 2015, 09:35 PM
Thanx

elaineb
June 16th, 2015, 04:38 AM
Oy veh. I just stumbled onto this thread. I read it through the end because the information was good. (Mike, those photos were really informative.) But man, the signal-to-noise ratio was pretty abysmal. SpecialK, I know you're reading this even though for some reason, you decided to pretend that you can be a moderator and lock threads. Surely we can't be the first people to tell you that your short temper is a problem.

There's nothing wrong with feeling angry in itself. But what you do with that anger, how you behave when influenced by it, is one of the truest measures of integrity. If you broadcast blatant aggression toward anyone whom you feel has offended you, especially if the response is out of proportion to the original discussion -- all you're doing is undermining your credibility. You're not persuading anyone you're right. In fact, your actions sabotage whatever truth might found in your words, because all people can see are the insults.

RudyR
June 16th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Well Special K just earned my distinguished person to never trust award and got my finger of fate on the ignore button. Odd though, It seems I have ignored him/her/ it / ?/ on another forum. So say goodbye to any relevance to me and probably many others.

Deb
June 16th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Could it be that Special K is drinking the alcohol as well as removing sticky labels with it?

mhosea
June 16th, 2015, 01:42 PM
I think Laura has the right of it. Had I suspected at the time that Special K was the guy Dan is responding to here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9422-Brand-new-149s?p=104072&viewfull=1#post104072), I would have handled it differently.

RudyR
June 17th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I think Laura has the right of it. Had I suspected at the time that Special K was the guy Dan is responding to here (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/9422-Brand-new-149s?p=104072&viewfull=1#post104072), I would have handled it differently.

Yes, remember, Don't feed the trolls.

Only you can prevent trolls

ignore button is your good friend and it saves you time an energy by not responding to silliness

Hawk
June 17th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I have learned two things based on this thread. First, alcohol is harmful to certain pens. Second, Special K's posts are best to be ignored; they may spoil the intent of the thread.
Maybe I should learn not to feed the trolls. However, I felt I had to do it based on the one way explosion that decended on this thread.

Waski_the_Squirrel
June 17th, 2015, 07:39 PM
I'm really glad the vegetable oil worked. I find it works on many glues and does not harm non-porous surfaces.

Special K
June 27th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Thanx

sgtstretch
June 27th, 2015, 08:30 PM
…ding bats… imbeciles would have a damn cow

Yes, because insulting people solves everything! YAY!

Special K
June 27th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Thanx

Special K
June 27th, 2015, 10:16 PM
Test

Jon Szanto
June 28th, 2015, 12:03 AM
What Special K wants to hear:

http://i.imgur.com/ilHmHW7.jpg

What he is going to get:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb204/EnvoyC/resource/b_square.gif

mhosea
June 28th, 2015, 12:30 AM
Thanks, Jon. But I wonder why he thinks we've blocked him. I don't block anybody. But this is only one of the many mysteries of the thread, like why he claims the thread is only about the 823 after he categorically contradicted a general statement about "plastics" (plural) that was just parroting the standard, expert advice, such as is found on David Nishimura's page (http://www.vintagepens.com/pen_repair_donts.htm):

"Be very careful before using alcohol to remove the ink residue; while it is safe on hard rubber, it will dissolve or soften most pen plastics (and if applied to old Pelikan barrels, can cause immediate crazing). Avoid proprietary cleaning solutions such as 409 and Windex – they contain a witch's brew of chemicals, many of which are known to be harmful to pen plastics."--David Nishimura

Jon Szanto
June 28th, 2015, 12:30 AM
Thanks, Jon. But I wonder why he thinks we've blocked him.

http://i.imgur.com/xFrwO0z.jpg

Empty_of_Clouds
June 28th, 2015, 02:29 AM
That's just hilarious. I am in awe.

KBeezie
June 28th, 2015, 02:58 AM
http://i.imgur.com/5ffnKjD.gif

Hawk
June 28th, 2015, 12:56 PM
KBeezie, Jon Szanto, mhosea, et. al., well said.

Special K
June 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Thanx

sgtstretch
June 28th, 2015, 01:56 PM
If you try and use words, as you have, I will make you look bad.

How deep do you like to go? Currently you are just digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole, and making yourself look bad. It's quite obvious that you are the one guy at the party that has to have the last word in long after the fun stopped and everyone else let.

Still don't understand? Drop the subject. Knock it off, and stop being an asshole.

Special K
June 28th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Thanx

sgtstretch
June 28th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Really? A loser with a Kmart helmet. Well this is news to me as I bought the helmet from a bike shop. I didn't know that my bike shop sold Kmart helmets. Thanks for informing me, I wonder if they know also.

As for the reason I didn't comment before as I didn't know the answer, so I was reading to learn. And I do know what's going on as I've been reading this thread since the start.

You're just an angry person, maybe you should get some help with that.

Hawk
June 28th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Guests and newer members, this isn't normal for FPG's threads. The thread seems to have morphed from helping a person (which it did), to bashing members with knowledge of fountain pens. Members are free to express their thoughts i.e. Free Speech, even when one member stirs the ****. Normally when one asks for help (advice) one gets various views because of our experiences, we all learn and form our own opinion based on the comments. When a member pushes their view to a point of being obnoxious and degrading, I take the author 'with a grain of salt', I ignore their input.

Jon Szanto
June 29th, 2015, 12:23 AM
For those of you playing the Home Version of "WTF?", here is a small reminder. This will also illuminate, for newcomers, that we are dealing with an old problem in this thread - without the benefit of a dedicated moderator. First, there's this, from the top of the current page:

The dumbest comment came from mhosea, at the end.. Where he shows pics of some Visconti pens. News alert, Hosea, the thread was about the 823. The sad part is, after seeing my pic, most of you believe me now, but you can't say anything because I'm on your block list.. Plus, if you were to say oops, he was really was right. The geniuses like jonnie boy sanka and hosey wouldn't like you anymore. If I told some of you things you can to your Micarta to make the threads stronger and the entire body better in the process, but you'd swear I'm lying. Now it's really gonna bother you because you supposedly have me blocked. So, you can't respond by asking me what I'm talking about. And I sure ain't gonna tell ya. Oh yeah, one more thing. Jonnie boy sanka, I just want ta thank you for the free advertising your giving me underneath your profile pic. You know what I'm talking about. I said you are rude and vulgar because you cursed out the owner of this site. At least you don't care who knows that you cursed him out. Which makes me think of some thing else. Those of you who don't like him or the way he dresses, why don't you leave his forum. Wow, I thought Elaine b and crazy orange where my friend. Even you, Reprieve. Laura N, Too.

So, if you've been here for a while, remember GING GING? I think you will recognize similarities:

Farmboy, there was nothing in there that I would find insulting. You better lighten up alittle. If folks start to think that you don't dislike me enough they may turn on you. And these folks will turn on ya. Last night some guy calls me a troll for asking if Dan might be hiding my posts. You can slice it any way You want but that was just childish. Why would you want me to know that you're gonna ignore me? I don't even know who you are. Maybe you're just jealous and sad that you'll never be able to buy a visconti Pininfarina and a Porsche 3135. If you're that upset I'll gladly send you a nice pen. You can keep ignoring me, but if it help you feel better about yourself I really will send you a Nice pen with a gold nib. BUT I order to take advantage of this offer you had to have read this on your own. I'm sure that won't happen since you have me on ignore

None of this is new. All of this would have been handled deftly by the former moderator. GING GING 2.0, aka Special K, needs a time-out.

Crazyorange
June 29th, 2015, 05:40 AM
Do we have no moderators?

Jon Szanto
June 29th, 2015, 12:04 PM

To the best of my knowledge, that is the case.

I am assuming that Eric, as owner, is the only person doing any manner of hands-on work on the forums. I see no overt indication of this, other than when Spam threads are reported, they do seem to go away (appreciated, obviously). This is opaque, however, as one simply clicks on the "Report" button, and after that there is no indication of what is happening, or by whom. It would be *more* than nice to have a dedicated forum moderator/admin who you could interact with when issues arrive, and get some feedback from them in the forum. Since there have been no more communications (that I am aware of) after Dan was removed from the post, I can only assume nothing is happening.

Special K
June 29th, 2015, 04:46 PM
Test

Empty_of_Clouds
June 29th, 2015, 04:53 PM
[img]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/460/19282663391_fdceff8e85_o.png (https://flic.kr/p/vnWG2D)

Special K
June 29th, 2015, 06:31 PM
Test

Jon Szanto
June 29th, 2015, 06:36 PM
Jon, the first thing you do is insult and curse the owner of this site. " that's pretty much what you've done towards me, as well." And now you want him to jump for you. The funny thing is, in the thread that you cursed him; no one would curse him until you got the ball rolling. Then several others felt emboldened enough to curse him, as well. And at one point, he responded peacefully, and you and others still continued being nasty to him. Now, you want him to boot me for doing the same thing that several others have done. " ARGUE". Some of you have even taken to insulting him for dressing nice.

Thanx

FIFY

sgtstretch
June 29th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Jon, the first thing you do is insult and curse the owner of this site. " that's pretty much what you've done towards me, as well." And now you want him to jump for you. The funny thing is, in the thread that you cursed him; no one would curse him until you got the ball rolling. Then several others felt emboldened enough to curse him, as well. And at one point, he responded peacefully, and you and others still continued being nasty to him. Now, you want him to boot me for doing the same thing that several others have done. " ARGUE". Some of you have even taken to insulting him for dressing nice.

Thanx

FIFY

"Test" is also a valid answer.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 29th, 2015, 06:46 PM
I had to Google FIFY - I'm clearly from an earlier epoch - but yes, indeed. It was a much fun thread. Thoroughly entertaining and worthy of both tubs of popcorn that I invested in.

Jon Szanto
June 29th, 2015, 06:53 PM
I had to Google FIFY - I'm clearly from an earlier epoch...

Then you are going to have to be born before 1953! We just have to work harder to keep up. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
June 29th, 2015, 07:10 PM
I had to Google FIFY - I'm clearly from an earlier epoch...

Then you are going to have to be born before 1953! We just have to work harder to keep up. :)

Erm, not quite, but within 15 years. Good enough for government work (you should see my government coughcameroncough)

Hawk
June 29th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Jon, I can see some parallels. There are a lot of 'test' posts by GING GING and quite a few 'thanx' posts by Special K. GING GING has no friends and Special K has no friends. Maybe they should friend each other. It would be real easy if they are one in the same. If not, communication would be easy.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 29th, 2015, 09:03 PM
GING GING has no friends and Special K has no friends. Maybe they should friend each other. It would be real easy if they are one in the same. If not, communication would be easy.

Kind of a 'selfie' so to speak?

I'll get me coat...

reprieve
June 29th, 2015, 09:16 PM
https://whysoangryblog.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/191keeping-mouth-shut.jpg

Hawk
June 29th, 2015, 09:28 PM
A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered.
Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent;with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.
-Proverbs 17:27,28

Jon Szanto
June 29th, 2015, 09:53 PM
Jon, I can see some parallels. There are a lot of 'test' posts by GING GING ...

You'll note the following, in this thread:

Test

Crazyorange
June 30th, 2015, 03:55 AM

To the best of my knowledge, that is the case.

I am assuming that Eric, as owner, is the only person doing any manner of hands-on work on the forums. I see no overt indication of this, other than when Spam threads are reported, they do seem to go away (appreciated, obviously). This is opaque, however, as one simply clicks on the "Report" button, and after that there is no indication of what is happening, or by whom. It would be *more* than nice to have a dedicated forum moderator/admin who you could interact with when issues arrive, and get some feedback from them in the forum. Since there have been no more communications (that I am aware of) after Dan was removed from the post, I can only assume nothing is happening.

I'm guessing there's no way to stop this person from going crazy? Where's Dan when need him? [emoji26]

gregamckinney
June 30th, 2015, 07:58 AM
The only effective way to rid a forum of a troll (or a person who is full of bad behavior) is to ignore them. In this case we (or some of us) keep engaging. They will never stop in this mode.

greg

Laura N
June 30th, 2015, 08:18 AM
The only effective way to rid a forum of a troll (or a person who is full of bad behavior) is to ignore them. In this case we (or some of us) keep engaging. They will never stop in this mode.

greg

To make it easier, there is an Ignore List. One can go to the top of any page and click on "Settings." On the Settings page, to the left, click on "Edit Ignore List," then type the User Name to be ignored under "Add a Member to your Ignore List" in the middle of the page.

Susan3141
June 30th, 2015, 08:24 AM

greg

To make it easier, there is an Ignore List. One can go to the top of any page and click on "Settings." On the Settings page, to the left, click on "Edit Ignore List," then type the User Name to be ignored under "Add a Member to your Ignore List" in the middle of the page.

That is a lovely feature, but I still wish Dan were here.

Neo
June 30th, 2015, 09:39 AM

greg

That is a lovely feature, but I still wish Dan were here.

+1 :)

gregamckinney
June 30th, 2015, 06:46 PM
But people aren't ignoring the trolls, and they are persisting. "Ignore" or ignore, either works if actually practiced.

greg

Hawk
July 1st, 2015, 05:39 PM
Special K's profile states that he is from Florida. Look at this thread:
Default Re: dave741=david1600?
Dave 1600. You sound legit to me. I live in Canada, so I'll have to pay in Canadian quarters. Show me whatchu got. I'm ready to do some pen shopping
I can see the "Ignore" or ignore way but it doesn't help some people that are new and the thread comments are replaced by test or thanx; I wonder what their take is? I agree, blocking by the moderator would resolve many issues.

Special K
July 2nd, 2015, 11:35 PM
Test

Special K
July 2nd, 2015, 11:38 PM
Test

Special K
July 2nd, 2015, 11:44 PM
Test

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 09:33 AM
Special K's profile states that he is from Florida. Look at this thread:
Default Re: dave741=david1600?
Dave 1600. You sound legit to me. I live in Canada, so I'll have to pay in Canadian quarters. Show me whatchu got. I'm ready to do some pen shopping
I can see the "Ignore" or ignore way but it doesn't help some people that are new and the thread comments are replaced by test or thanx; I wonder what their take is? I agree, blocking by the moderator would resolve many issues.
Hey little chicken hawk. You really are dumb as a doorknob. I said I live in Canada to mess with him, for defrauding people

Quoted to preserve.

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 09:33 AM
Seems to me that you trolls do just fine without me. I haven't been around in a few days and you fools almost start a riot

Quoted to preserve.

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=gregamckinney;136100]The only effective way to rid a forum of a troll (or a person who is full of bad behavior) is to ignore them. In this case we (or some of us) keep engaging. They will never stop in this mode.

greg[/QUOTE
Greg, you really are laughable. I haven't even been around for a few days and you scavengers are steadily running your mouths about me. It's gonna be cute when the owner comes and bans those of you on this thread and makes me his moderator.

Quoted to preserve.

Special K
July 3rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
Test

Susan3141
July 3rd, 2015, 11:29 AM
Hey! If this keeps up "Sticker Residue on Pilot Custom 823 Cap" will be Number 1 in the threads most viewed! Let's make it happen! Because this is such an important thread!

mhosea
July 3rd, 2015, 11:50 AM
Hey! If this keeps up "Sticker Residue on Pilot Custom 823 Cap" will be Number 1 in the threads most viewed! Let's make it happen! Because this is such an important thread!

I have samples of acrylic, cellulose acetate, polystyrene, Noodler's "vegetal resin", and perhaps some others. You can request a test similar to the one I did before on any of them, if you like (though the acrylic and polystyrene should be quite dull, insofar as these two plastics have reasonable alcohol resistance, or so I am led to believe). Perhaps more useful would be to test a citrus degreaser on them. I don't have any original Goo Gone at hand, but I do have some citrus degreaser I use do degrease bicycle parts. I won't be home until later today, however, so the results will not be immediate.

Alohamora
July 3rd, 2015, 12:05 PM
A truly wise person uses few words; a person with understanding is even-tempered.
Even fools are thought wise when they keep silent;with their mouths shut, they seem intelligent.
-Proverbs 17:27,28

I guess you're not wise, because you are steadily running your mouth, just like the next wiseman

Quoted for no good reason

Thanx

Special K
July 3rd, 2015, 12:28 PM
Test

Hawk
July 3rd, 2015, 07:28 PM
See my comments on the following thread: Community News, Site Feedback, Site moderator.

gregamckinney
July 3rd, 2015, 08:17 PM
Apropos of absolutely nothing: Two of the greatest tragedies of our time are undiagnosed mental illness, and cases where the mentally ill refuse to consistently take their medication.
I've heard of so many instances where wrenching, tragic interventions were required before truly beautiful people were able to get the help they needed, transforming them into the gorgeous butterflies they were meant to be.

greg

Dreck
July 3rd, 2015, 09:03 PM
It's gonna be cute when the owner comes and bans those of you on this thread and makes me his moderator.

:rofl:

Farmboy
July 3rd, 2015, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=gregamckinney;136100]The only effective way to rid a forum of a troll (or a person who is full of bad behavior) is to ignore them. In this case we (or some of us) keep engaging. They will never stop in this mode.

greg[/QUOTE
Greg, you really are laughable. I haven't even been around for a few days and you scavengers are steadily running your mouths about me. It's gonna be cute when the owner comes and bans those of you on this thread and makes me his moderator.

Greg beat me to it but I think we may need to adjust the meds...

Has anyone tried Goo Gone on a forum board?

sharmon202
July 4th, 2015, 06:42 AM

Dude, how old are you? 5? Grow up or go away!

Special K
July 6th, 2015, 11:18 AM
This is probably going to draw some laughs and chuckles. That's cool, I got it coming. I won't say much because the more I do, others can just use it trash me. I've been hostile and rude towards a whole lot of people, over something silly, that wasn't necessary. I'm sorry for my behavior, on so many levels. This is embarrassing but I have to do it. I know that folks aren't going to be knocking down doors to be my buddy. I owe this apology and I mean it.
I'll add alittle more to this. If you respond to a comment I make, the world is not coming to an end if you really do believe that I'm just a troll that knows nothing about fountain pens, your welcomed to make me show mine against yours. Same goes for inks, notebooks and. Various accessories. When I apologized, I meant it. What disturbs me, if I said something very nasty to someone, they certainly respond. On the other hand if say something that is very helpful, no one will respond. That's just some food for thought. Even to this day, I'm reading posts that are asking how to ignore this, that? And the other thing. MHosea, I especially need to thank you for accepting my apology. I purposefully tried to be nasty to you, and you accepted my apology. Thank you very much. No, I'm not coming to hug it out. Just wanted to it

Susan3141
July 7th, 2015, 10:10 AM
Just read this on the Facebook FPN, thought some of you might find it amusing . . . or not.

"If you ever have an old pend [sic] that will not draw ink/write, first unscrew the barrel, then remove the ink cartridge/converter.
Then, put just a small drop of googone into the bottom of the nib piece and finally soak it in water with a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap.
After a few hours of soaking, throughly rinse the nib/top out in running water, dry, and blow out any excess water from inside, refill with ink, and write away!!!"

Wile E Coyote
July 7th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I prefer soaking gunked up nibs in aqua regia. Solves all your pen problems.

Neo
July 7th, 2015, 10:58 AM

:boom:.!? Please do not try this. (I know you were kidding.)

Neo
July 7th, 2015, 11:06 AM
This is probably going to draw some laughs and chuckles. That's cool, I got it coming. I won't say much because the more I do, others can just use it trash me. I've been hostile and rude towards a whole lot of people, over something silly, that wasn't necessary. I'm sorry for my behavior, on so many levels. This is embarrassing but I have to do it. I know that folks aren't going to be knocking down doors to be my buddy. I owe this apology and I mean it.

:thank_you2:

mhosea
July 7th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Just read this on the Facebook FPN, thought some of you might find it amusing . . . or not.

"If you ever have an old pend [sic] that will not draw ink/write, first unscrew the barrel, then remove the ink cartridge/converter.
Then, put just a small drop of googone into the bottom of the nib piece and finally soak it in water with a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap.
After a few hours of soaking, throughly rinse the nib/top out in running water, dry, and blow out any excess water from inside, refill with ink, and write away!!!"

I remember that. My initial reaction was that it was crazy, but after I thought about it more, I realized that it isn't as crazy as it sounds. Sometimes pens don't write because of oily residue on the feed, and ammonia and and dish soap might not be sufficient. Also, India ink has sometimes been used. We have stuff for that, e.g. Rapido-Eze, and I've had to use naphtha on some new feeds before they would conduct ink properly. Goo Gone is probably capable of the same effects. I'd be loathe to use it with the pen assembled, personally, as it may loosen things like a feed cup that might have been bonded with a glue that won't stand up to Goo Gone, but using only "a small drop" provides some insurance against that, probably limiting the Goo Gone to the capillary path. Murphy Oil Soap contains no oil, of course, and it's purportedly pretty good at dissolving water-based ink, so that takes out dried ink and presumably the residue of Goo Gone. Yes, I imagine it would work rather reliably to get a gunked up c/c pen from the last few decades back in service.

Waski_the_Squirrel
July 8th, 2015, 03:17 PM

:boom:.!? Please do not try this. (I know you were kidding.)

Oh sure, now you tell me. I hope my Pilot Custom 823 is okay after soaking in it all night!

tandaina
July 11th, 2015, 02:45 PM
My gosh you guys I'm at a pen show and just overheard a seller.... Recommending goo gone. Almost died laughing thinking of you all!

tmenyc
July 13th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Old fashioned naptha, add in what lighter fluid used to be made of.