PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite cheap pen?

Laurie
June 11th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Time for a new thread and I am sure that this topic has probably been discussed before but I was using my cheapest pen yesterday and thought it would be interesting to get differing views on this subject as it seems everyone concentrates on their dearest pens

I recently bought a Pilot Plumix with the intention of also buying a Metropolitan and swapping the 1.1 Italic nib from the Plumix. Unfortunately I forgot to order the Metropolitan so I just had the Plumix. Yesterday was the Plumix's turn to be my pen of the day on my usual rotation of my small herd. As the pen only cost about $9 I wasnt expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised and found that it wrote very well without any skipping and reasonably smooth for an italic 1.1. It shows the usual variation of an italic nib and now I am not going to worry about the Metropolitan. My other cheapest pens are the Jinhao X450 I have which I like also because they are big heavy pens and give a very juicy ink flow. Unfortunately they offer no line variation at all so the Plumix gets the nod because of this

Hawk
June 11th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Parker IM. I don't bayby it and it keeps putting ink on the paper (where I want it).

ac12
June 11th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Right now, a Baoer 388
But I'm sure I will find another favorite soon.
I like the IM, but it was just a tad too heavy for me. Nice pen.

writingrav
June 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I'd go with the Jinhao 750

top pen
June 11th, 2015, 04:47 PM
My favourite cheap pen has to be the Parker Frontier. I owned 10 different budget pens (sub £15) over the first 2 years of pen collecting and I found some pens that were good many that were not so. However the Parker Frontier was the one that stood out and the only one I ended up keeping. It doesn't have a particularly eye catching design. However it does have a very comfortable ergonomic design and it has a nib superior to any other budget pen i have ever used.

I have 3 of them so I have plenty spare if I was to ever lose one. I consider it my grail cheap pen as since buying my 2 spare ones I haven't bought another budget pen and that was over a year ago.

Lady Onogaro
June 11th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I have a Parker 45 that I bought for $15.00 that I like pretty well. But I am also a great fan of the Sailor Clear Candy and the Pilot Kakuno and Pilot Petit1, all of which are very nice little writers.

sgtstretch
June 11th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Jinhao 159. $13, writes beautifully (after a minor nib tweak) and looks pretty good.

rdcalhoon
June 11th, 2015, 05:12 PM
If we define cheap as $9 or less, then my favorite cheap pens is the Baoer 388. Other favorite cheap pens include the Jet Pens Chibi, the Platinum PTR-200 ($1.50!, smooth fine! (Japanese M)), and the Serwex 1362. I used to be a big Platinum Preppy fan, but not so much these days. If you are willing to add a few bucks, then the Pilot Kakuno is a good choice. Add a few more bucks to that and the stub Pilot 76G and the Pilot Metro come into range. I have a Jinho 450, but I don't like it much.

caribbean_skye
June 11th, 2015, 05:30 PM
jinhao 159

Kaputnik
June 11th, 2015, 06:15 PM
Not the intent of the original post, I'm sure, but perhaps still worth considering, my best cheap pens are vintage models which I was able to buy and restore cheaply (and restoring them cheaply meant doing it myself, in general). Several of the Esterbrook J series for between $8 and $15 US, a nice Sheaffer Flat Top for $18, a couple of Parker 45s (mentioned by someone else earlier) for about $7 and $15 respectively. Of course, what is available for vintage pens must vary by country, and I don't know what is common in Australia.

I barely use my cheap modern pens any more, but the Pilot Varsity is a heck of a deal when you consider that, despite being called disposable, it can actually be refilled. I have a couple which are dedicated to "problem inks" that I want to use occasionally. Also, I'd be somewhat unhappy if I had to go back to using my Pilot FP78G most of the time, but I wouldn't be horribly unhappy. It's really a pretty good pen; I've just moved on to better ones.

Wile E Coyote
June 11th, 2015, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure what it is (there's no identifying marks) but it's a transparent plastic piston filler with a steel nib that was on sale for $2.00 at a local art supply.

johniem
June 11th, 2015, 07:41 PM
Zebra301 which I bought at CVS Drug Store a few years ago for $4USD. It always starts and is a smooth writer. If you consider that I carry it in my planner/journal, it is my every day carry.

Quantum Sailor
June 11th, 2015, 08:35 PM
My favorite cheap pens are the reform I was given as a gift and the metal capped Elite that I picked up from Lexaf :) which was definitely worth the money.

Blackhorse
June 11th, 2015, 08:52 PM
JinHau 750... pretty major bang for the buck...in terms of fun anyway. If it doesn't write well enough you can always pound tent pegs with it.

Also the Noodlers eyedropper pen you get with the large bottle of Noodlers ink A good pen for free.

Other than that I'd go with a Lamy Safari...near bulletproof, interchangeable nibs, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Lt. Tom
June 12th, 2015, 09:29 AM
It depends on what I'm doing. For taking notes at a meeting or something, the Pilot 78g is a handsome pen. The bigger, heavier, metal Metropolitain uses exactly the same section, but the 78g is available with a 1.1 stub nib. But the section on these pens is a little small in diameter for me to be comfortable for more than a page or two. My favorite cheap desk pen (or at any price, really) is the Pelikano Junior. It looks completely childish (even more so than the Kakuno) and it has no clip, so it never leaves my desk. But it's so comfortable to write with it never leaves my desk. I'll have a much nicer pen in my shirt pocket, but I'll use the Pelikano if I'm at my desk.

Sammyo
June 12th, 2015, 10:06 AM
I have to agree with Lt. Tom, I am at work with a purple Pelikano Junior, loaded with a Edelstein Amethyst cart in my pocket. The way it writes for the money is superb, is it a bit childish and silly... yes, but it always starts a conversation! I also bought a Pilot Kakuno for my daughter... with a pink cap... and I would still use that too! It just write well, smooth and crisp, one of the best Japanese fines I have ever used!

Will these pens give you line variation? No...
Will they look classy in front of the director of a company? No...
Are they classics that you can talk about like a car enthusiast would a 1957 Chevrolet Corvette or a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona? No...

But that is not the point of these pens, they do exactly what they say they will do and they do it very well.

reprieve
June 12th, 2015, 10:16 AM
The Platinum Plaisir. It has the same reliable, never-dry-out nib as the Platinum Preppy, but the Plaisir has a metal body so it isn't prone to cracking like the Preppy.

I also really like the Pilot Metropolitan and the more expensive Pilot Prera (I don't know that the Prera qualifies as "cheap," but it is on the affordable side and it's a fantastic pen). The Pilot Kakuno and Pilot Petit1 are also nice writers, though they feel cheaper and more like children's school pens to me.

I've had good luck with Lamy Safaris and Al-Stars, and I also like the Logo and the CP1, which I think are vastly underrated pens.

And then there are inexpensive pocket pens like the Kaweco Sport and Ohto Rook.

inlovewithjournals
June 12th, 2015, 10:29 AM
A tie between Pilot Plumix and Jinhao 159.

Zhivago
June 12th, 2015, 09:07 PM
I barely use my cheap modern pens any more, but the Pilot Varsity is a heck of a deal when you consider that, despite being called disposable, it can actually be refilled.

I don't know that it is my favorite cheap pen, but it is certainly the most reliable pen, cheap or otherwise, that I've ever used.

Waski_the_Squirrel
June 12th, 2015, 10:58 PM
I'm a huge fan of the JetPens Chibi. It does not work as an eyedropper, but it does work with cartridges and converters. I hope to be able to do nib work on this pen, and I was thrilled to discover that the Noodler's Creaper nib works in this pen (and vice versa). It has a small form factor, but, posted, it gets bigger. I love it.

And I never expected any of this. I bought the pen entirely on a whim.

sharmon202
June 13th, 2015, 04:56 AM
I also really like the Plumix and my Kakuno.

brunico
June 13th, 2015, 09:35 AM
As the pen only cost about $9 I wasnt expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised and found that it wrote very well without any skipping and reasonably smooth for an italic 1.1.

A fountain pen has been described as a "controlled leak." It doesn't cost much money to make one of those, so while a $9 pen isn't going to look a million dollars, there's absolutely no reason for it not to write well just because of the price, despite the impression sometimes given on another forum.

Anyway, it's a Pilot. And it's a Pilot with the same nib/feed as pens many times its price.

My favourite cheap pen would be a Pilot Prera at Japanese prices, or a Parallel or Plumix.

The nib, by the way, will be an M, not a 1.1. Outside the Parallel range, Pilot doesn't measure its italic nibs in millimetres, not that there's any great consistency out there as to what people are actually measuring.

Wahl
June 13th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Very cheap ?

Pilot VPen

Sailor Kenshin
June 13th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Gotta be Hero 616. At about $3-5, it was my first much-coveted hooded nib, I didn't have to DO anything to get it to write, has a good ink capacity, and it 'disappears' in my hand.

moneypenny
June 13th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I also like Jinhao for a cheap pen. Preppy might be an option too.

tiffanyhenschel
June 13th, 2015, 03:07 PM
My daughter ordered herself a Jinhau 159 in the shimmering sands design, and I have to say it's a really nice pen. It's on the heavy side for me, but it has a beautiful finish and a smooth nib.

Blackhorse
June 13th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Ohh ohh! I forgot. I should have mentioned the Pilot 78G - with the stub hub. I find it's an excellent writer.

Special K
June 13th, 2015, 09:28 PM
My favorite cheap pen (s) would have to be the platinum preppy with converter and the pilot varsity. I wish they'd give it a converter.

Alohamora
June 14th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I have to agree with Lt. Tom, I am at work with a purple Pelikano Junior, loaded with a Edelstein Amethyst cart in my pocket. The way it writes for the money is superb, is it a bit childish and silly... yes, but it always starts a conversation! I also bought a Pilot Kakuno for my daughter... with a pink cap... and I would still use that too! It just write well, smooth and crisp, one of the best Japanese fines I have ever used!

Will these pens give you line variation? No...
Will they look classy in front of the director of a company? No...
Are they classics that you can talk about like a car enthusiast would a 1957 Chevrolet Corvette or a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona? No...

But that is not the point of these pens, they do exactly what they say they will do and they do it very well.

They come in Purple now!? I haven't been paying attention to new pens for the last 2 years or so, so I missed seeing the new colors. Purple is very tempting, although I wish the nib on the blue one I have was finer

I find my old Pelicano Junior to be a very comfortable pen, just wish the nib was finer. Purple is very tempting. So are the Kakunos.

May favorite cheap pen depends on where you draw the line on "cheap"

Lamy Safari, Pilot Prera and Cross Solo are among my favorite pens regardless of price, I'm not sure they qualify as cheap anymore, all were less expensive than current prices when I purchased them.

Pilot Varsity works well, but i gave up on trying to refill them. Pilot 78g has a nice nib, but the body feels cheaper to me than its $15 price. Pilot Petit1 is excellent, but short. If Pilot ever made a full-size, refillable Petit1 style, I'd be all over it in an instant.

But since yesterday, I have a new favorite in the really cheap category, the $2 Jinhao 599. Full size, refillable, even comes with a converter. In a way, I feel I should hold off on gushing about this thing until I use them longer, but I just don't see the downside to it (unless you hate the Safari-shaped section).

welch
June 14th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Parker 45...$4.98 in 1960 / '61, and $5 - $15 as late as 2010 or so. They have suddenly become "collectible", but they were the all-time great student pen.

TSherbs
June 14th, 2015, 06:28 PM
REALLY liking my Pilot Petit1 ($3.50). I have even changed inks in it now (it uses a small cartridge and a fibrous wicking system) without any mess or difficulty.

RayCornett
June 15th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Favorite cheap pen is basically any Jinhao I have ever used.

inklord
June 15th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Pilot Metropolitan (US$ 15.-) and a "Rex" school pen (€ 4.50) sold at German Aldi stores (or so I believe). The Metro can hold its own with the best steel-nibbed factory pens and comes with a squeeze converter; it's also built like a tank... The "Rex" (Imported into Germany and Austria by Sellner school+office GmbH, A-4614 Marchtrenk) is made of a colored transparent plastic body and a clear section through which you can see the feed which is color-coordinated to the barrel (I have an orange and a green one) The nib is smooth, medium and stiff. The cap is brushed stainless in the style of older German (Pelikan, Geha) school pens. The pen takes standard international carts and converters. I like to load my orange one with Noodler's 'Apache Sunset'...
The one cheap pen with line variation I know of is the Reform 1745 - if you can still find one. (Other than Noodler's piston filling flex pen, which I've never tried)
One step up in price and otherwise unbeatable for cheap flex: Noodler's Ahab ($20.-)

MyPenNeedsInk
July 15th, 2015, 01:03 PM
I love my Pilot Varsity but recently I needed a little bit more on my JetPens order to reach free shipping so I threw in a Jinhao X750. I was not expecting much and I was very pleasantly surprised. Nice writer

amk
July 17th, 2015, 02:31 AM
Various cheap pens I love.

Pelikano Junior - the previous generation, with aluminium cap, textured grip and translucent colours.

Waterman Kultur (cheap version of Phileas) - art deco looks, monster nib for the price of ten euros.

Pilot V pen. Has no looks, costs ridiculously little (especially in a bulk deal), always reliable.

KBeezie
July 17th, 2015, 05:27 AM
IF I still had one, simply put. Pilot Petit1, inexpensive ($2-3), small but posts well, durable, reliable, each one smooth and in no need of tuning, easy to pocket, and stays ready to write even after a few weeks of sitting in a backpack unused, simply never had one dry out on me. Ended up giving away each one to family members as well as to my art history professor (gotta spread the bug...). I'd say I prefer them over even the Kaweco Sport of similar size and similar restriction (cartridge only, or eye dropper fill), as the nib and feed on the petit1 seems to outperform the kaweco sport classic, outside of the fact you can only get the petit1 in a single nib size.

Aside from that one, especially if I just plan to stick to one ink for a while, much like the requirement of the petit1 (as it would take fo-e-va to flush the felt on the feed of the petit1), I'd go vintage with a Parker 45 as can be had as low as $5 in the wild, pretty easy to clean up, swap nibs, etc, takes cartridge or converters and the semi-hooded nib stays ready to write every time, even with more stubborn inks. They're also pretty good workhorses. Can sometimes luck out and get one with a 14k nib for under 20, sometimes under 10.

Between the two, if I was talking about an actual daily user, the Parker 45, but if I just want something handy to have in my bag or to hand to someone to use, the Petit1.

I currently don't have anything that I would call a 'cheap' pen at the moment, but I do however have two Platinum Preppy on the way today (one in extra-fine, one in medium), so will have a chance to evaluate those for the first time, especially as they're cartridge, converter, or ED (going to use the purple colored medium one to hold Noodler's Kung Te-cheng, something I haven't dared to put in any of my existing pens).

TerraNoir
July 17th, 2015, 06:48 AM
I think my favorite cheap pen would have to go along with many people here. I truly enjoy my Baoer 388. Its a bit lighter and looks pretty nice to boot. After that it would be my Jinhao x750. Great great pen. Though I am consider "cheap" to be under $10. Hands down would be the Pilot Metro. It goes with me everywhere.

carlc
July 17th, 2015, 08:44 AM
I don't think you can get them anymore but the Pilot 'tank' eye dropper.

Mentioned above but worthy of repetition: Parker Frontier, Pelikan Pelikano (previous generation mentioned by amk).

Still available (but no longer made) Parker 17. Almost always come from ebay sellers in working condition (though may need a good flush).

mhosea
July 17th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Not sure what my favorite cheap pen is. Maybe Parker 45, maybe Sheaffer No-Nonsense. I'd like my Haolilai 601F better if the grip section weren't so small. The cheapest pens I actually like are Pilot Celemo's. They're nice-looking, have nice, slightly soft, gold nibs, seal reasonably well, feel good in my hand despite being more slender than most of my pens, and are very lightweight. I guess they were inspired by the proportions of the Montblanc 144, though the resemblence is in proportion and functional design rather than cosmetics. At $39 with a 14K nib they are a bargain but not cheap, and you have to import them from Japan, so add higher-than-average shipping cost. Unfortunately, mine both came with a bit of "baby's bottom", so they were quite smooth but gave that little start-up skip that drives me batty until I can get around to fixing it.

Lady Onogaro
July 17th, 2015, 11:16 AM
I like using the Pilot Kakuno and the Sailor Clear Candy. I also use the Pilot Petit 1 a lot since it is attached to my Midori Passport. Love that Pilot Blue ink for it!

Dragonmaster Lou
July 17th, 2015, 11:45 AM
I think my favorite cheap pen would have to go along with many people here. I truly enjoy my Baoer 388. Its a bit lighter and looks pretty nice to boot. After that it would be my Jinhao x750. Great great pen. Though I am consider "cheap" to be under $10. Hands down would be the Pilot Metro. It goes with me everywhere.

I've got a Jinhao x750, but the ironic thing is that I've upgraded it so much (new nib and converter) that it isn't quite as "cheap" as it used to be. The upgrades I put in it probably cost about 4-5 times the actual cost of the pen! Next time I get a cheap pen, I'm probably going for the Pilot Metropolitan too.

manoeuver
July 17th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I enjoy the Pilot Penmanship a lot.

my Jinhao 159 is fun to use also. its sub-$10 price point is distracting when I use it.

Sailor Kenshin
July 17th, 2015, 04:28 PM
To me, a 'cheap' pen is under $10. So if I'm permitted more than one favorite...then (after the Hero 616) ... the Platinum Preppy, and Pilot's Varsity/V-pen.

For some odd reason, I've seen a lot of Preppy-haters, but I usually have a cup full of them ready, and I don't even count these into my pen rotation. They always start, and come on, they're what...four dollars?

KrazyIvan
July 27th, 2015, 02:17 PM
My Pilot 78G and Pilot Metropolitan have been in frequent use as of late.

Laurie
July 27th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Well I started this thread and going to add another pen that has become my favourite lately. It is a pen so meets the criteria. It is a self made pen holder with a Nikko G dip nib fitted to a self made oblique brass nib holder. Total cost would probably be under $10. It has great flex and is a great pen to do your copperplate exercises which I have been doing for some time.

Misfit
July 28th, 2015, 02:54 AM
A Snoopy pen that came from China for $4.89 and free shipping.

Cob
July 28th, 2015, 03:17 AM
I imagine that the OP's intention was to identify new pens that may be purchased cheaply since individuals may well have found vintage gems at bargain prices.

In fact it was finding a Mabie Todd Jackdaw in a charity shop for £5 that started me off... However the only new pen I have ever bought, and I have about 75 pens here at the moment, is a Wing-Sung 590. This came supplied in its box delivered for about £9. Apart from the fact it is enormous (160mm capped) and holds a colossal quantity of ink via its aerometric filling system, it writes smoothly and is utterly reliable and was from the start; great value. I doubt I would ever buy a cartridge pen.

Cob

Sandy Fry
July 28th, 2015, 04:17 AM
Any of my many Parker 45's....Pilot Metropolitan....Kaweco Sport....pilot petite1...Luoshi 358B ( the little "cigarette" pen ).

David

JFB
October 19th, 2017, 01:48 PM
Out of my new pens my current fav sort of cheapie is my Sheaffer Sargaris, but my Jinhao 992's, Wing Sung 659 and SKB F20 are all very serviceable. The SKB, especially is always ready to go. I've purposely left in in a drawer for weeks at a time and it's wet and ready to go every time.

Pax,
John

P.S. I haven't even realized it but I've been using my Jinhao 163 pretty regularly for the past week quite happily. SO I'll have to add that to the short list.

penwash
October 19th, 2017, 08:13 PM
This guy is only $32 shipping included:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4476/37706860592_51d6885ee7_c.jpg

NOTE: Sheaffer 14K nib not included, I upgraded it. :)

RocketRyan
October 19th, 2017, 10:07 PM
For being cheaper than a sharpie the jinhao 992.

urushi4u
October 20th, 2017, 12:29 AM
Lamy Nexx. Better than any safari.

eicart0523
October 20th, 2017, 09:34 AM
Mine is a pen that says Blackwoods. Its an unknown brand but a neck of a writer.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

Chrissy
October 20th, 2017, 09:59 AM

I'm quite a fan of my Lamy Nexx M pens. I also think the rubberised type grips are better than those on the Safari or the Al-Star, and I believe the 'M' pens have much nicer caps and clips than the standard Nexx pens have. :)
The only thing I have against the Nexx pen at all is that the grip won't fit into Diamine 30ml plastic bottles. So when the bottle is not full, it's difficult to fill the pen. :( Safari and Al-Star grips don't have this problem.

Lady Onogaro
October 20th, 2017, 10:19 AM

I'm quite a fan of my Lamy Nexx M pens. I also think the rubberised type grips are better than those on the Safari or the Al-Star, and I believe the 'M' pens have much nicer caps and clips than the standard Nexx pens have. :)
The only thing I have against the Nexx pen at all is that the grip won't fit into Diamine 30ml plastic bottles. So when the bottle is not full, it's difficult to fill the pen. :( Safari and Al-Star grips don't have this problem.

I like the Nexx M pens, too (I have three of them). I like the grips and I just like the look of them.

Lady Onogaro
October 20th, 2017, 10:21 AM
Oh, I have to say that the Perkeo is a lovely writer! It's only $16.00 and comes in fun colors.

I also have several Sailor Clear Candy pens that I still enjoy using, though perhaps they don't make those anymore.

Wile E Coyote
October 20th, 2017, 02:45 PM
Namiki Emperor Vermilion.

fountainpagan
October 22nd, 2017, 01:51 AM
Majestic, around 1940

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/922/Zbb7K4.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmZbb7K4j)

TSherbs
October 22nd, 2017, 06:18 AM
For being cheaper than a sharpie the jinhao 992.

Same

TSherbs
October 22nd, 2017, 06:20 AM

I don't consider this pen inexpensive, but I have it and like it a lot.

welch
October 22nd, 2017, 09:32 AM
Majestic, around 1940

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/922/Zbb7K4.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pmZbb7K4j)

Beautiful pen! The third-tier pens were not made as well as Parker or Sheaffer, but the colors used for barrels and caps are as attractive as anything. And the pleasure after you've re-sacced the pen, cleaned the gunk and 80 years of grime, evened out the tines, and gotten everything to shine!

dam
October 22nd, 2017, 09:51 AM
Oh, I have to say that the Perkeo is a lovely writer! It's only $16.00 and comes in fun colors.

I also have several Sailor Clear Candy pens that I still enjoy using, though perhaps they don't make those anymore.

I agree the Sailor Clear Candy is a good pen. I have 2 and use them regularly. I also like my Pilot 78g pens.

However, the cheap pen I've used the most for years and years is a Wality 69T (the model with a clear ink reservoir). Great simple ED pen that is just the right size for me.

wingwiper
October 22nd, 2017, 03:44 PM
Time for a new thread and I am sure that this topic has probably been discussed before but I was using my cheapest pen yesterday and thought it would be interesting to get differing views on this subject as it seems everyone concentrates on their dearest pens

I recently bought a Pilot Plumix with the intention of also buying a Metropolitan and swapping the 1.1 Italic nib from the Plumix. Unfortunately I forgot to order the Metropolitan so I just had the Plumix. Yesterday was the Plumix's turn to be my pen of the day on my usual rotation of my small herd. As the pen only cost about $9 I wasnt expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised and found that it wrote very well without any skipping and reasonably smooth for an italic 1.1. It shows the usual variation of an italic nib and now I am not going to worry about the Metropolitan. My other cheapest pens are the Jinhao X450 I have which I like also because they are big heavy pens and give a very juicy ink flow. Unfortunately they offer no line variation at all so the Plumix gets the nod because of this

Sheaffer no-nonsense......

fountainpagan
October 23rd, 2017, 03:38 AM
Majestic, around 1940

Beautiful pen! The third-tier pens were not made as well as Parker or Sheaffer, but the colors used for barrels and caps are as attractive as anything. And the pleasure after you've re-sacced the pen, cleaned the gunk and 80 years of grime, evened out the tines, and gotten everything to shine!

Thank you, Welsh.
This was my first Ebay bought pen (after, Majestic's prices have gone up and up). It arrived perfectly cleaned and I could immediately use it. It was also my first steel nib. I was struck of how smooth, and buttery like it flows on the paper. I am always happy when I use it. It beats some more expensive pens I have got later.

Chrissy
October 23rd, 2017, 05:06 AM

I like the Nexx M pens, too (I have three of them). I like the grips and I just like the look of them.

I think I had 4 at my last count. Two of them are turquoise. The only one I don't have is the Olive Green. Maybe I should fix that, but it's not one of my favourite colours. :)

picautomaton
October 23rd, 2017, 05:58 AM
Hero 616 Doctor

tartuffo
October 23rd, 2017, 11:07 AM
https://i.imgur.com/IWPEUiJ.jpg

TSherbs
October 23rd, 2017, 02:35 PM
I like the Petit, too

Bob
October 24th, 2017, 08:21 PM
I was gonna say twsbi or lamy but I’ve got to go with my x 750s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jmccarty3
October 25th, 2017, 07:25 AM
I have a couple of Esterbrook Js that I like very much, but for sentimental reasons, my favorite inexpensive pens are a couple of clear plastics Sheaffer student cartridge pens from the '50s, when I learned to write using ones like them. I have one in fine and one in medium, and they write very well. I won lots of Best Handwriting awards in elementary school with these pens. I'm a left-handed underwriter, and winning the awards used to tick off the right-handed kids in my class.

SIR
October 25th, 2017, 12:54 PM
Want cheap thrills? Get a brush pen!!

Pterodactylus
October 29th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Want cheap thrills? Get a brush pen!!

Getting a brush pen is easy, but mastering it isn’t ..... :spy:

Looking forward to see some writing samples with a brush pen (I have to admit that I do not master them, I like them for drawing/sketching (like the Pentel Pocket Brush) but can´t really write with them)

SIR
October 29th, 2017, 12:00 PM
Looking forward to see some writing samples with a brush pen (I have to admit that I do not master them, I like them for drawing/sketching (like the Pentel Pocket Brush) but can´t really write with them)

Here some samples...

Is just like using pointed flex nib; more pressure = thicker line.

Pterodactylus
October 29th, 2017, 12:59 PM
Thanks for your samples, really appreciate it :)

Just talking about this and that pens is not half of the fun than seeing them and their usage.
Such threads would gain a lot if more would post pictures of the pens and their writing.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4494/37965630676_cfc52e90a9_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/ZQTMif)
Show_response_1188 (https://flic.kr/p/ZQTMif) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.flickr.com/photos/117783735@N07/), auf Flickr

(Tombow ABT 856, Serwex MB flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue-Black)

I´m not considering myself as a flex newbie and I claim for me that I already have a light hand.
I´m quite ok with my abilities to handle a flex nib.

But using a brush pen my writing is far away from looking nice and consistent (not even near about even thinking using the calligraphy word) .
And it seems that I´m not the only one who still have a long road to go mastering brush pens. ;)

@Fountainpagan
Great looking pen :)

@Welch
I would not sign such a statement that 3rd tier pens are always worse than the 1st tier ones.

Cyril
October 29th, 2017, 03:46 PM
I have lot of favourite cheap pens and I have adapted them to good and greater writing.

One of them are Jinhoa 8889 ( with the wodden barrel ) All my other Star pens are below this pen.

stevekolt
November 2nd, 2017, 06:41 PM
Another vote here for the Baoer 388. I keep one on my TV table filled with Diamine Registrars ink, and it has been absolutely reliable.

RocketRyan
November 2nd, 2017, 11:40 PM

Here some samples...

Is just like using pointed flex nib; more pressure = thicker line.

An Ace Rimmer quote, brilliant.

fountainpagan
November 3rd, 2017, 03:17 AM
Thank you, Ptero.

I like Tombow, too.:)

SIR
November 3rd, 2017, 03:57 AM
An Ace Rimmer quote, brilliant.

I know! What a guy, right?

https://minifigs.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ACE-720x720.jpg (https://minifigs.me/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/ACE-720x720.jpg)

Dragonmaster Lou
November 9th, 2017, 03:54 PM
I'm a fan of the Pilot Metro. I also recently got a Nemosine Singularity and so far, so good, but I'm waiting to pass judgment on them.

I used to own a Jinhao x750 and a Jinhao 159, but both fell apart months after purchase, so I can't recommend those at all.