PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance & cleaning of Visconti Wall Street LE

ubremin
June 13th, 2015, 02:07 AM
Hi all,

I'm considering a Visconti WS LE for a reasonable price. One thing before buying though - I seek your opinion about the cleaning procedure and effort needed for maintenance and keeping the pen in good shape. The reason for asking is its vacuum filling system with two chambers. Any thoughts, advice welcome!

It is supplied with a PD Medium nib. Any considerations?

Thanks in advance,
Ulf

Crazyorange
June 13th, 2015, 04:30 AM
Check out the Visconti thread. There's a ton of information in the thread.

Cleaning the pen is easy. Unscrew the nib unit and use a syringe to clean out the barrel. Very easy.

There's varying opinion on how well the double reserve system works. I recommend doing some research. I think Visconti pens are wonderful so I would say go and get it. But it's best to do your research and make sure it's the right pen for you.

If you get it, post some pics on the Visconti thread.

Rusty888
June 13th, 2015, 04:53 AM
I've got one. Honestly it's probably the easiest pen to clean when you unscrew the nib. If you don't want to unscrew the nib then it's going to be tough.

What colour are you going for?

ubremin
June 13th, 2015, 06:47 AM
Many thanks for your replies. I have seen the long Visconti-thread, I will browse it again. Good to hear that the nib-section can be unscrewed. Color is red.

Rusty888
June 14th, 2015, 04:48 AM
Good luck. It's my favourite and almost grail pen. I just love it

ubremin
June 14th, 2015, 07:18 AM
Thank you, You all encouraged me to order it. Will upload a couple of pictures when it arrives.
It will be my second Visconti, I have an Opera Elements which I bought recently in Florence. I chose between the Opera and a Wall Street regular model. Both had 14K F nibs. (Most of my pens are F:s). The nib on the Opera was better and the price too.

Crazyorange
June 14th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Sounds like you have viscontitis. Welcome to the club.

Waltman
June 14th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Hi....new guy here. I just purchased a Visconti WS LE in gray/charcoal and am very pleased with it so far but I, too, was curious as to how to clean it, as this is my first power filler pen. Thank you for the useful information!

ubremin
June 14th, 2015, 11:09 AM
Ooops, can it be cured?

Wile E Coyote
June 14th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Ooops, can it be cured?

Easy, buy one of each.

Crazyorange
June 14th, 2015, 04:30 PM
Ooops, can it be cured?

Nope. Doomed to buy more Visconti pens. It's all downhill from here. ;)

Bogon07
June 14th, 2015, 08:17 PM
Ooops, can it be cured?

The Deltas will start calling; then when you think it can't get any worse ......................Omas collectoritis will take hold.

Rusty888
June 14th, 2015, 08:59 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/14/2daad73db17593dc1a373b37f6010f40.jpg

Misfit
June 14th, 2015, 11:06 PM
I have the Wall Street LE in red. I did not know about unscrewing the nib for cleaning, so glad I found this thread. If the green had been in stock when I bought, I might have gotten it. The red is very nice though. Mine takes the my pen system toppers. My brother has an earlier numbered version and it does not.

ubremin
June 15th, 2015, 01:17 AM
Ooops, can it be cured?

The Deltas will start calling; then when you think it can't get any worse ......................Omas collectoritis will take hold.
It's getting worse, I already have 4 omas pens. Double infection. Guess I'm doomed.

Crazyorange
June 15th, 2015, 05:15 AM
Ooops, can it be cured?

It's getting worse, I already have 4 omas pens. Double infection. Guess I'm doomed.

Sorry dude, no hope. On a happier note, many of us here have bad afflictions....so we understand.

Special K
June 15th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Pretty much all of viscontis nib units come out pretty easily. The exception is the Pininfarina. There must be some special tool to use. I think Visconti and Coles of London keep this secret pretty close to the vest

ubremin
June 16th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Update: Received the pen today. It turned out to be an 18k gold nib instead of the 23k pd. I'm not disappointed! It is a fantastic pen. I will post images in the Visconti-thread as agreed.

ubremin
June 16th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Cleaning the pen is easy. Unscrew the nib unit and use a syringe to clean out the barrel. Very easy.

I can remove the nib and feed from my Opera but just pulling it out. But my new Wall Street LE seems to need a tool for unscrewing the nib and feed assembly. Searching for Visconti Nib removal tool and browsing info confirms my findings. But I'm not in a hurry with cleaning. Will just fill it up with a nice ink and stick with it for a while and enjoy writing.

Crazyorange
June 16th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Have you tried using an ear bulb to clean the nib section on your opera? No need to pull the nib out.

Try to gently unscrew the nib on the Wall Street. Most of my Visconti pens have nib units that unscrew.

ubremin
June 16th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Yes, I use an ear bulb for cleaning the opera. The ink flow stopped suddenly when I started to use it more extensively, I removed the nib and cleaned it thoroughly. Now it is perfect. So I have only removed the Opera nib once.

I do not dare yet to unscrew the WS nib. I can see the holes in the nib section for the tool. But I'll try to gently unscrew it by hand as you advice when I need to. Thanks again.

Crazyorange
June 16th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Definitely try gently. I mucked up one Visconti nibs trying to unscrew with too much force. Had to pay to get it reworked. :(

Rusty888
June 16th, 2015, 11:04 PM
I found if you use some paper towel it grips a little easier to unscrew it. First time does require a fair amount of force.

Waltman
July 25th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Hi All,

New owner of a charcoal Wall Street LE. I had a terrible time removing the nib/feed assembly. I found soaking the nib/feed/section in warm water and some very careful elbow grease finally worked. I will not reassemble until my order of silicon grease arrives. I first inked the pen with Pelikan Sapphire ink. Rinsing and using a rubber bulb helped but a Q-tip swab still showed some residue.

Walt

youstruckgold
July 26th, 2015, 05:37 AM
I'm interested in this too. The cleaning of my power fillers has always been the bane of my existence (1st world problems!). I have two wall streets and both nibs seem fairly secure in their housing (other Visconti's not so much).

Waltman
July 26th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Agreed, I had no problem removing the nib from my Homo Sapiens (stainless).

Once my silicone grease and pen flush arrive, I'll give it a good cleaning/lube and try Diamine ink.

What's color are your Wall Streets?

youstruckgold
July 26th, 2015, 03:00 PM

Once my silicone grease and pen flush arrive, I'll give it a good cleaning/lube and try Diamine ink.

Blue and Green

Waltman
July 26th, 2015, 08:32 PM

Blue and Green

I've been trying to find a blue one. I am envious!

Rusty888
July 27th, 2015, 06:04 AM
I found the first time the hardest. Now it's the easiest pen to clean. Cleaning Kon peki out of my mb146 last night was a pain.