PDA

View Full Version : Side-by-Side: Diamine Red Dragon vs Diamine Red Dragon

naimitsu
June 14th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Yup, you read it right. I am doing my first Side-by-Side comparison with the same ink: Diamine Red Dragon.

At this point, you might be asking why I would do a Side-by-Side of the same ink.
Well, let me explain.

I have had the same vial of Diamine Red Dragon for a few months now. I have inked it in a few pens, noted it down in my Ink Binder, and recorded it in my Everyday Carry Ink Journal. It is a nice rich dark red. With MI #9 being a dark red, I though I would ink up a few pens with comparison inks for when we do the group review.

Well, one of those pens was my Waterman 52 1/2.
When first inked, it wrote in the correct color. I left it sitting in the pen for about 2 hours and it produced the ick brown on the right.

UPDATE: I suppose I should have done my due diligence before posting! Prior to Red Dragon, I had Levenger True Teal in the pen and since I couldn't pull out the nib, feed, or section from the sack, I flushed it out as best I could with water. Apparently it does not take much True Teal to alter Red Dragon. I did a quick .5ml Red Dragon + 1 drop True Teal mix and it produced exactly the brown color displayed below.

So lesson of the day: If you are switching from Levenger True Teal to anything else, scour the nib, feed, converter/sack like it was contaminated with a bio fluid!

Without further ado, here's the Side-by-Side:
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/Diamine_RedDragon.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/Diamine_RedDragon.jpg.html)

Neo
June 14th, 2015, 02:36 PM
What ink was in the Waterman time before last time you filled it up?

naimitsu
June 14th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I had Levenger True Teal in it.
An interaction between the two inks would have been my first thought as well if the ink had not written with the correct color at the start.

I just did a 0.5ml Red Dragon + 1 drop True Teal, and sure enough, it turned it brown!
Ok. Now I have to go change the post title!!! (and add a note to the original post...)

migo984
June 15th, 2015, 02:00 AM
I quite like that Teal Dragon brown 😄