PDA

View Full Version : Indy-Pen-Dance DailyItalic(TM)

gbryal
June 14th, 2015, 09:42 PM
If anyone has a pen with the Indy-Pen-Dance DailyItalic(TM) grind, I would be pleased to see any writing samples or descriptions of the writing experience. It is a hybrid between a cursive italic and stub italic, so I imagine it's a rather subtle grind, but sounds interesting.

alaskazimm
June 14th, 2015, 09:54 PM
I have a .8mm Daily Italic and it's a great grind. Disclaimer, this is the only experience I have with italic grinds so I can't compare it to cursive or stubs. The writing experience is glassy smooth with good line variation. iirc I asked for a 6-7 flow and Linda delivered on that score, this lays down a healthy amount of ink paired with my Pelikan M200 which was a wet writer before I got the new nib.

I'm still learning the ways of it so I don't necessarily get the best out of it yet, but even so it works very well as a daily writer. I may one day venture out into the crisp italic grinds but for now the Daily is a great writer that does all I need it to - and when I get my Edison, I'm seriously tempted to have another ground.

I'll get a writing sample up here in a while.

alaskazimm
June 14th, 2015, 10:12 PM
This is a bit quicker than a while but here it is:

Paper = Clairefontaine 90 g/m
Smeared patch = after 7 seconds dry time

dneal
June 15th, 2015, 10:17 AM
When did they first use the term 'daily italic'?

gbryal
June 15th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I couldn't say with any certainty. I first noticed it a month or two ago I think.

ac12
June 15th, 2015, 11:10 PM
I wonder where in the spectrum/range of grins does the DI grind fall?
Is it between a stub and a CI, or between a CI and a true italic?.
And what is a CI vs a DI anyway? It is all interpretation, unless there are specific specs to define a CI and DI.
But the DI is tagged as a trademark, so it could be a CI under a different title.

I write cursive with my Lamy 1.1 italic nib, which IMHO is a CI nib. The only reason I don't use it as much is the 1.1 is rather wide for daily use. I would prefer something down about 0.6 to 0.8mm for daily use.

dneal
June 16th, 2015, 12:23 AM
I couldn't say with any certainty. I first noticed it a month or two ago I think.

Thanks. Jon Szanto suggested 'daily grind' (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/11605-Stub-Nibs?p=127655&viewfull=1#post127655) when I jokingly mentioned needing a 'cool name' for my own grinds. I just thought it was a weird coincidence when I saw this.

Jon Szanto
June 16th, 2015, 12:28 AM
I'LL SUE THE BASTARDS!!!!

;)