PDA

View Full Version : Inky Fingers...

fountainpenkid
September 27th, 2012, 05:46 PM
For me getting inky fingers from using a fountain pen is embarrassing. I do not mistreat, or ever drop my pens. I keep them nib up in my pocket. So when I uncap and get a little drop of ink on my fingers, I feel that the pen has done what it wasn't supposed to do: what Parker and Waterman apparently solved in the late 1800s. My Pelikan m400 is very ink free, but my Aurora 88 will sometimes leak a bit, and sometimes my Vacumatic will too. I see pictures of people with fingers covered in ink. How do you guys feel about this topic? Will you, like me, sell a pen that gets your fingers inky sometimes?

auto winder
September 28th, 2012, 12:25 AM
If the pen did it, I might feel a bit unhappy about it. But in most inky fingers cases it is my own fault for being inexperienced and clumsy but insisting on using converters instead of cartridges where possible. However, I was a bit worried when my new Hero 616 Doctor started coughing blood - eh I mean Diamine Red Dragon - on the paper after I removed the cap a little too vigorously...

outbackpengeek
September 28th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I tend to get ink on my fingers every time when filling pens. I don't care at all.

snedwos
September 28th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Plenty of ink on my fingers right now! A combination of Noodler's BBK, Liberty's Elysium, El Lawrence, Diamine Apple Glory... Guess whose ink drop arrived in the post today!

I actually kind of like getting ink on my fingers, it's almost like a badge of pride. It only happens when I'm refilling or cleaning though.

jar
September 28th, 2012, 08:26 AM
The question is "Why are my Aurora 88 and Vac leaking? Am I treating them differently somehow? Where exactly are they leaking?"

Often, minor leaks are actually old ink in the cap pushed out by body heat or treatment.

Have you determined where the ink in coming from?

manoeuver
September 28th, 2012, 01:23 PM
fingers? heck, I got ink on my hands, face, thigh and feet. At the same time.

Tracy Lee
September 28th, 2012, 04:59 PM
LOL!!! :):):)

fountainpenkid
September 28th, 2012, 06:02 PM
The question is "Why are my Aurora 88 and Vac leaking? Am I treating them differently somehow? Where exactly are they leaking?"

Often, minor leaks are actually old ink in the cap pushed out by body heat or treatment.

Have you determined where the ink in coming from?

good point. The 88 needs some silicone grease on the section--thats where the ink is seeping out of. The vac,well, I have no idea...