PDA

View Full Version : Another Platinum in the 3776 demonstrator line

Lady Onogaro
June 17th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I saw some discussion of this pen at the other place:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLATINUM-3776-CENTURY-YAMANAKA-14K-SM-Soft-Medium-Limited-edition-Pre-Sale-/121676763563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c548011ab

I like it.

migo984
June 17th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I saw some discussion of this pen at the other place:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLATINUM-3776-CENTURY-YAMANAKA-14K-SM-Soft-Medium-Limited-edition-Pre-Sale-/121676763563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c548011ab

I like it.

It's gorgeous. I might have to get one to go with my Shoji.

Robert
June 17th, 2015, 04:33 PM
Nibs.com has them at the same price, with your choice of nib, and John M. will tune the nib to your specifications at no extra charge:

http://www.nibs.com/platinum-3776-century-yamanaka.htm

migo984
June 17th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Nibs.com has them at the same price, with your choice of nib, and John M. will tune the nib to your specifications at no extra charge:

I would buy it direct from Japan. As a non-US buyer, John M's very high shipping prices make his pens uncompetitive for me. Most Japanese sellers have free international shipping on orders of this value.

tandaina
June 17th, 2015, 06:00 PM

I would buy it direct from Japan. As a non-US buyer, John M's very high shipping prices make his pens uncompetitive for me. Most Japanese sellers have free international shipping on orders of this value.

Yeah, unless I want the nib customized I buy Japanese pens straight from Japan as well. The markup is just insane otherwise (and shipping from Japan is usually the same cost as many US sellers.)

I'm going ot have to buy this one. I've got the rest of the lakes. But I think I may have to say that I'm just going to concentrate on the lakes and sell some of my other 3776. Cause otherwise they are going to take over! And I still wish I could eyedropper these things. *sigh*

Holy crap. Hadn't seen the price until now. I would never, ever pay that much for a 3776 that wasn't celluloid. Ever. I'll wait until it goes on sale or Engeika has it in stock. Jeez that's nuts. (Haven't paid more than $140 for any of my lake series pens.)

Zhivago
June 17th, 2015, 08:42 PM
A 3776 demonstrator with a guilloche pattern? Very hard to pass up. The price is likely to come down.

earthdawn
June 17th, 2015, 10:41 PM

Yeah, unless I want the nib customized I buy Japanese pens straight from Japan as well. The markup is just insane otherwise (and shipping from Japan is usually the same cost as many US sellers.)

I'm going ot have to buy this one. I've got the rest of the lakes. But I think I may have to say that I'm just going to concentrate on the lakes and sell some of my other 3776. Cause otherwise they are going to take over! And I still wish I could eyedropper these things. *sigh*

Holy crap. Hadn't seen the price until now. I would never, ever pay that much for a 3776 that wasn't celluloid. Ever. I'll wait until it goes on sale or Engeika has it in stock. Jeez that's nuts. (Haven't paid more than $140 for any of my lake series pens.)

Or one of Pen Chalets killer sales they have from time to time.

Thats where I got my Shoji from.

I like the new 3776 a lot.. really nice.

Zhivago
August 5th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Just got one. What I wrote in the latest acquisition thread:

The build quality is about the same as other 3776Cs: good, but not great. The two most notable things are the color and the SM nib. These pens are supposed to have a blue color or tint to them. If mine does, it is only at certain angles and in a certain light; even then I'm not sure. I'd be interested to know the experience of others and how blue their pens are. I don't mind that much as the pen is still very pleasing to the eye whether it is barely blue or just clear.

The SM nib is really what I like best about it. I had heard praise for Platinum's SF nibs on other 3776Cs, but my experience with the two I tried was disappointing. I found them noticeably less soft than various Pilot soft nibs. That isn't the case for the SM nib on my Yamanaka. No, it isn't a flex or even a semi-flex nib (though I'll use the latter term more readily than others will use it). It is closer to that than the SF Platinum nibs I tried and probably even better than those Pilot nibs. It is a fantastic nib. Maybe I just got lucky this time.

migo984
August 5th, 2015, 09:16 PM

The build quality is about the same as other 3776Cs: good, but not great. The two most notable things are the color and the SM nib. These pens are supposed to have a blue color or tint to them. If mine does, it is only at certain angles and in a certain light; even then I'm not sure. I'd be interested to know the experience of others and how blue their pens are. I don't mind that much as the pen is still very pleasing to the eye whether it is barely blue or just clear.

The SM nib is really what I like best about it. I had heard praise for Platinum's SF nibs on other 3776Cs, but my experience with the two I tried was disappointing. I found them noticeably less soft than various Pilot soft nibs. That isn't the case for the SM nib on my Yamanaka. No, it isn't a flex or even a semi-flex nib (though I'll use the latter term more readily than others will use it). It is closer to that than the SF Platinum nibs I tried and probably even better than those Pilot nibs. It is a fantastic nib. Maybe I just got lucky this time.

That's strange. It is my understanding that this one is clear, like the Sai, not pale blue like the Shoji. Certainly my supplier described it as such. Perhaps I'm wrong, but mine is definitely clear, without a blue tint.
I've had mine for several weeks & have no issues at all with build quality. But then all my other #3776s have had no issues with build either. I've got the SM too; an excellent nib. Quite difficult to get on other models in this price bracket.

Zhivago
August 5th, 2015, 09:23 PM

That's strange. It is my understanding that this one is clear, like the Sai, not pale blue like the Shoji. Certainly my supplier described it as such. Perhaps I'm wrong, but mine is definitely clear, without a blue tint.
I've had mine for several weeks & have no issues at all with build quality. But then all my other #3776s have had no issues with build either. I've got the SM too; an excellent nib. Quite difficult to get on other models in this price bracket.

What I meant about build quality was just various imperfections and mould marks in the plastic. The pen seems well made and sturdy to me other than that.

Both the nibs.com link and ebay link above mention a blue-ish color. Thank you for confirming I wasn't alone and perhaps going blind. I hope Platinum will start to offer the SM nib in other 3776C models.

Lady Onogaro
August 6th, 2015, 03:56 PM
They do look kind of blue in the advertisement. If you had not said they weren't, I would be expecting a bluish cast to the pen like the Shoji.

Zhivago
August 6th, 2015, 04:09 PM
They do look kind of blue in the advertisement. If you had not said they weren't, I would be expecting a bluish cast to the pen like the Shoji.

It is only in the nibs.com listing that they look blue to me.

I don't think the sellers would be calling them blue if that wasn't what they were told by Platinum. Even the Goulet's description (under the technical specs) mentions blue.

tandaina
August 6th, 2015, 06:31 PM
One of the existing line has a hint of blue. Straight on only one layer of the plastic looks clear, but from any angle, or straight through the barrel (so two layers of plastic) there is a light blue cast. Very subtle and pretty.

Zhivago
August 6th, 2015, 06:56 PM
One of the existing line has a hint of blue. Straight on only one layer of the plastic looks clear, but from any angle, or straight through the barrel (so two layers of plastic) there is a light blue cast. Very subtle and pretty.

I had just been looking mine over with only the light from a partially open window in my room as the sun is going down. For whatever reason, this light seems to show the faint blue best. It certainly is a very subtle thing.

VertOlive
August 6th, 2015, 06:58 PM
I notice it's $194.40 with SBREBROWN discount at Pen Chalet.

VertOlive
August 21st, 2015, 06:55 PM
Yamanaka on the way. I'll let you know if it looks "blue" to me! Perhaps not everyone can see the blue--given that genetics has a major role to play in the makeup of one's retina.....gene conversion between the highly homologous L and M pigment genes have generated wide variation in genotype and color vision phenotype.

Er, anyway, I'll add my 2 cents when it lands here.

amk
August 24th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Tandaina, if you're selling any of your other 3776s, can I join the queue? :-)

tandaina
August 24th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Tandaina, if you're selling any of your other 3776s, can I join the queue? :-)

:P Haven't decided yet. I'm running a reduced collection experiment that will be up in October. Right now I'm not missing the pens that arent' in the experiment so they may all go in October, you all will be the first to know. ;)

VertOlive
August 24th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Yamanaka = most definitely blue; the color was evident to me even before I removed it from the box....

migo984
August 24th, 2015, 09:20 PM
Yamanaka = most definitely blue; the color was evident to me even before I removed it from the box....

Very strange. Three of us have stared at every aspect of mine & agree there's not a hint of blue. Very different to the Shoji tint, which is immediately obvious.

Bogon07
August 24th, 2015, 09:32 PM

Very strange. Three of us have stared at every aspect of mine & agree there's not a hint of blue. Very different to the Shoji tint, which is immediately obvious.

I thought your Yamanaka was totally clear too but it was night time and there was Murfie's wine to take into consideration.
If he still had some BSB ink left you could try an experiment to create an interesting 'Swan Bay' coloured 3776 variant.

Zhivago
August 24th, 2015, 09:38 PM

+1 (again) in general and on the Shoji. I think the glasses in VertOlive's avatar have special powers. :)

migo984
August 24th, 2015, 09:40 PM

I thought your Yamanaka was totally clear too but it was night time and there was Murfie's wine to take into consideration.
If he still had some BSB ink left you could try an experiment to create an interesting 'Swan Bay' coloured 3776 variant.

Ha Ha!

Agree - that wine was very good 😉

I love the idea of a Swan Bay-coloured variant of pen. Or perhaps I could even get a customised Sailor ink made up 😋

VertOlive
August 26th, 2015, 04:36 PM

+1 (again) in general and on the Shoji. I think the glasses in VertOlive's avatar have special powers. :)

Must be my pigment genes lean toward Blue Detection. It's my Super Power...

Really love the guilloche pattern!