PDA

View Full Version : Colorful New Pelikans

Laura N
June 18th, 2015, 02:28 PM
According to Iguana Sell, Pelikan will be coming out with an M600 in pink stripes and cream (https://twitter.com/Iguana_Sell/status/611495639038476289), as well as an M205 demonstrator in amethyst (https://twitter.com/Iguana_Sell/status/611201931382521856).

I wish I knew how to embed the images, but maybe someone else can. These colors are a little bit of a surprise for me. The pink one seems daring for Pelikan.

tandaina
June 18th, 2015, 02:31 PM
The pink one is... puke worthy since it is supposedly a "women's pen" (since when do I need a pen to be *pink* Pelikan?)

The demonstrator is quite pretty and I'll probably cave and buy one. ;)

reprieve
June 18th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Here are some press release photos of the M205 Amethyst:

https://thepelikansperch.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/pelikan-m205-amethyst.jpg

https://thepelikansperch.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/pelikan-m205-amethsyt-2.jpg?w=550

This is the M600 Pink Stripe "Ladies' Collection":

https://thepelikansperch.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/m600-pink.jpg?w=381&h=515

https://thepelikansperch.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/m600-pink-2.jpg?w=550

reprieve
June 18th, 2015, 02:44 PM
I absolutely love the Amethyst demonstrator. I'll definitely be buying that one; I might even pick up the matching ballpoint, too. As for the pink M600... I do love pink, but this pen and its silly box is a fail for me.

carlc
June 18th, 2015, 02:48 PM
It's even got a 'bodice' style lace up box!

Methinks Pelikan have made a boo boo with this one.

Just don't let my wife see the amethyst m205....

Laura N
June 18th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks, reprieve!

I love the amethyst one, though I won't be buying it.

The pink one is harder for me. I find the idea of a "Ladies' Collection" kind of funny. I don't mind the package. But the pen doesn't appeal to me. I am generally a fan of bright pink, but the stripes here just scream "candy striper" to me. (Not a positive.) And I don't love cream colored Pelikans -- not even the white tortoise.

I expect the pink one might be very popular in places where "cute" is in. And that's lots of people. And look, I bought that teddy bear Safari. So I can't exactly throw any shade here. :)

But did anyone else see the gorgeous and appealing purple Pelikan, and think mean thoughts about Lamy? Or just me? :)

oldstoat
June 18th, 2015, 03:33 PM
The pink one's a horror!

Bogon07
June 18th, 2015, 04:34 PM
The Amethyst M205 is a very attractive pen. I wonder if there will be a M200 gold trim version at some time.
Hopefully the colour will inspire Lamy to do something in that colourway for the Safari in the future.

I quite like the M600 Pink Stressman, take away the pink ribbons and it looks as good as the white tortoise.
However the crap box doesn't to it any favours but you usually pack the box away and forget it anyway.
With any luck everyone will hate it and it will be crazily discounted.

sixbynineis42
June 18th, 2015, 04:42 PM
I think if I were a lady I'd find the pink one rather insulting. The pen itself....whatever...it looks a little too much like artificial flavored taffy for my tastes.

The special packaging would just infuriate me. It's a ladies' pen so the best they could come up with is to make it look like ladies' undergarments?

Lady Onogaro
June 18th, 2015, 04:45 PM
I love the Amethyst M205, but the pink Pelican is icky. I'm not against pink in general, though I think the person who thought of pink as a ladies color did not grow up in the '80s with the men's pink Polo shirts and business shirts. In any case, if it were the pink of the Goulet Nouveau pen, then maybe. But then again, I can't afford an M600 of any stripe.

tandaina
June 18th, 2015, 05:16 PM
I think if I were a lady I'd find the pink one rather insulting. The pen itself....whatever...it looks a little too much like artificial flavored taffy for my tastes.

The special packaging would just infuriate me. It's a ladies' pen so the best they could come up with is to make it look like ladies' undergarments?

I'm not against pink in general, but when everything released for "women" is pink? Ugh.

Funny thing. I'm such an odd lady I swear you guys I looked at that box and went "why did they make the box look like a tennis shoe???" Yup, that's me.

Laura N
June 18th, 2015, 05:17 PM
With any luck everyone will hate it and it will be crazily discounted.

And Pelikan likely will make fewer of them in the first place. It could be like the Mandarin Duofold. :)

tandaina
June 18th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Besides, if it's a "ladies pen" why not make it a 200? Or even a 300 like their other small pens. You know, a PURSE PEN. The 600 size is just odd to me, more expensive than the 400 line, but not really bigger. Just make it a 400 already. (I find the 600s overpriced enough that I won't buy them. The initial photos I saw of this I assumed (foolishly) that it was an M400.)

mhosea
June 18th, 2015, 05:42 PM
What else is in the "Ladies Collection"? The pink one seems perfectly fine looking to me, but I think it's a good point that not every woman likes pink. Just needs to be one of a few color schemes that statistically appeal to women, if that's how they want to market the pens.

Laura N
June 18th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I feel worse for all the men who might feel funny about buying the pink one, now it's been designated as part of a Ladies' Collecton. :)

The "Ladies' Collection" concept doesn't make that much sense to me, but it may be aimed more at markets outside the United States, which probably are the bulk of the fountain pen market anyway.

rdcalhoon
June 18th, 2015, 06:19 PM
I feel bad for all the ladies out there who aren't pink. Where is the pen for the rest of the world?

It does say "Pink Ladies Collection" right there on the artwork.

Jon Szanto
June 18th, 2015, 06:52 PM
It appears Miss Peppermint is into bondage. Yikes.

mhosea
June 18th, 2015, 10:29 PM
I feel worse for all the men who might feel funny about buying the pink one, now it's been designated as part of a Ladies' Collecton. :)

The "Ladies' Collection" concept doesn't make that much sense to me, but it may be aimed more at markets outside the United States, which probably are the bulk of the fountain pen market anyway.

I could use the pink pen, but my wife would razz me a little. Maybe teal and ivory could be marketed to ladies but also let me avoid the razzing, long as I hide the box.

Jeph
June 19th, 2015, 12:26 AM

Just don't let my wife see the amethyst m205....

THIS!!!

Sevenof9
June 19th, 2015, 12:35 AM
Great amethyst - would love it in an M800 size. The pink M600, what a design disaster! They will sit on that forever.....7

dr.grace
June 19th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Some Pelikan designs, like the raden M1000s, are sublime. But some of their designs are incredibly tacky. I often say to myself, "What were they thinking???"

VertOlive
June 19th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Hmmm. I am a huge fan of pink, but this doesn't fly. Something about it and it's packaging says "Exotic Dancer's Pen" to me.....:rolleyes:

Laura N
June 19th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Some of these comments are causing me that think that maybe Pelikan is deviously brilliant with the pink one. Is it possible that the packaging and the whole look were designed to appeal to men? Who would then buy it for the women in their lives? A Victoria's Secret concept, extended to pens. :)

carlc
June 19th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Some of these comments are causing me that think that maybe Pelikan is deviously brilliant with the pink one. Is it possible that the packaging and the whole look were designed to appeal to men? Who would then buy it for the women in their lives? A Victoria's Secret concept, extended to pens. :)

Only if you're married to Barbara Cartland.

My wife would ask if I kept the receipt....

Laura N
June 19th, 2015, 04:44 PM

Only if you're married to Barbara Cartland.

My wife would ask if I kept the receipt....

A wise woman. :)

tandaina
June 19th, 2015, 05:26 PM
My husband is wise enough to know buying me a pen isn't smart. He steps back and lets me buy my *own* pens.

reprieve
June 19th, 2015, 08:46 PM
The funny thing about the pink pen is that I actually really like the pink stripe part. I like those shades of pink, they complement each other, they're bright, and they're fun. But I really don't like the pink paired with the white cap, piston knob, and section. It's too much. If it had pastel pink accents instead, or brown, or black, I would probably be excited about it. For some reason, the white accents turn me off. It reminds me of sickeningly sweet, half-melted cotton candy at the fair on a sweltering summer day--uncomfortable, leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

inklord
June 19th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Wow! I seriously thought we were beyond these cliches of Ladie's thisandthat and masculine thisandthat - at least when it comes to pens. I don't mind a pink candystripe pen, but this ad is a bit worse than the common leftover sexism from yesteryear.

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Wow! I seriously thought we were beyond these cliches of Ladie's thisandthat and masculine thisandthat - at least when it comes to pens. I don't mind a pink candystripe pen, but this ad is a bit worse than the common leftover sexism from yesteryear.

According to some over on the 'other' forum, those who think the pen/box/advert is tasteless are suffering from political correctness.

Dinosaurs! *sigh*

naimitsu
June 19th, 2015, 10:18 PM

According to some over on the 'other' forum, those who think the pen/box/advert is tasteless are suffering from political correctness.

Dinosaurs! *sigh*

Well said, inklord!
And migo, thanks for pointing out part of why I've avoided posting much on the "other" forum. From the various threads I've read, I get the feeling that some of my opinions may step on some "delicate" sensibilities and I'd get my hand slapped for nothing more than voicing an opinion.

Speaking of opinions... I like the purple pen, but the pink one... that's precisely why I abhor pink. I spent the first five years of my life stuck in a pink and white hell. Actually, if I remember my childhood pictures well enough (I don't have them, Mom still has the mass load of them!), it may have been the same shade of pink!
I hate the "girly" pigeonhole some have tried to stuff me into. Yes, I'm female, and no, I do not want to play with your dolls. Give me my Legos, Spiderman bicycle (which BTW was the best bike ever! it had solid rubber wheels that could never go flat! and I had a handlebar shield with Spiderman's face on it!), and comic books any day!

mhosea
June 19th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I showed it to my wife, and she liked it. I mentioned they were marketing it to women, and her response was that she didn't think they were going to sell it to men. There was no outrage, no railing against gender stereotypes. I suspect that her view is more prevalent than what we see represented here.

Lady Onogaro
June 19th, 2015, 10:49 PM
I just think it's ugly. Like a lot of women on this board, I just don't understand the whole pink = girls in a fountain pen design, just as I don't look at the other pens in the Pelikan line as appealing to the members of one sex or another. If they want to market a pink pen, that's fine. But why is it a "Ladies'" pen? Goulet did not go that route with the Cherry Blossom Edison Nouveau Premiere. Pelikan could have gone the "Candy Cane" line with this pen (or something similar), and thus not promote it as either a women's pen or a men's pen. It seems a bit archaic to me to market pens with a use of a particular gender in mind these days.

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 11:16 PM
I showed it to my wife, and she liked it. I mentioned they were marketing it to women, and her response was that she didn't think they were going to sell it to men. There was no outrage, no railing against gender stereotypes. I suspect that her view is more prevalent than what we see represented here.

On what grounds do you form that suspicion?

I disagree with you. Surely we're a very broad cross-section of men & women on here, so fairly representative. Amongst my group of friends/work colleagues there would be much disdain for such a shallow piece of pigeon-holeing; that's if I'd dare show it to them.

Laura N
June 19th, 2015, 11:20 PM
The funny thing about the pink pen is that I actually really like the pink stripe part. I like those shades of pink, they complement each other, they're bright, and they're fun. But I really don't like the pink paired with the white cap, piston knob, and section. It's too much. If it had pastel pink accents instead, or brown, or black, I would probably be excited about it. For some reason, the white accents turn me off. It reminds me of sickeningly sweet, half-melted cotton candy at the fair on a sweltering summer day--uncomfortable, leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

The white is a stumbling block for me, too. I feel the same way about the white tortoise, though I know so many people who love that pen.

But I'll confess that I just don't really love the traditional Pelikan stripes. I never have. The only Pelikan stripes I find positively appealing are the vintage tortoises and the new black and gray Stresemann.

Pelikan, however, is smart. Because the striped binde, with the Souverän shape, is the essence of their design DNA. So I think trying to refresh it and update it is great. It might be an attempt to broaden their brand and create some excitement. Remember when Louis Vuitton revitalized itself, thanks to Marc Jacobs and Murakami?

naimitsu
June 19th, 2015, 11:21 PM

This is probably going to spark a political debate or piss off some people, but I feel that this is something that needs to put out there.

I have been raised with the belief that stereotyping is wrong. This is widely accepted as true when it comes to race.
Yet the gender stereotyping is still prevalent today. In certain aspects, it seems to be stronger today than it was thirty years ago.

I understand that there are women out there who prefer pink, and I have no issue with that. It is a personal choice. However, I also know that there are some men out there who enjoy the color pink as well, but many of them are reluctant to publicly display this preference due to the gender stereotyping that still exists. In fact, there are some men out there who hesitate to purchase, use, or otherwise be connected to anything that has historically been stereotyped as feminine due to the societal backlash it garners. Their personal choice is being stifled by some antiquated opinions, because quite frankly it is different.

Not long ago many women had to suffer the same backlash, but for doing the opposite. Instead of wearing dresses and skirts "as a woman should" per the social norms back then, they were derided for "ruining" womanhood and trying to act, dress, or even remotely look more masculine than their physical gender indicates. Because of what those brave women suffered, I have the choice to either wear pants all of the time or wear dresses/skirts whenever I feel like it. I have the opportunity to play with all of the toys and participate in all of the hobbies that had historically been reserved for boys/men. I can be who I am without fear of reprisals from the society that surrounds me.

I want the same for my male counterparts who fear showing their softer, more feminine side. I want them to be able to play with dolls, wear make-up, show off their polished manicures, and even wear dresses if their hearts so desire without fear, without having to suffer through the indignity of the abuse that stems from others' prejudices.

I would like to believe that we are more socially accepting and enlightened than we were a century before, but sometimes I question this.

As Albert Einstein once said, "The world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it." I believe that all stereotypes are a mechanism of evil. I also believe that doing what's right may not always be easy, and that doing what's easy may not always be right.

mhosea
June 19th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Like my wife said, they're probably not going to sell many to men. Just because they are marketing it to women does NOT mean that they expect all women to like it. Marketing is about percentages. Gender based marketing works where there is a significant element of fashion that appeals to customers in a gender correlated way.

I kind of wonder why the gloves come off here. This was just a product announcement, but suppose it had been a review from a person who liked the pen. Is it really that ugly? I can think of some well liked inks that might go with it.

Laura N
June 19th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Like my wife said, they're probably not going to sell many to men. Just because they are marketing it to women does NOT mean that they expect all women to like it. Marketing is about percentages. Gender based marketing works where there is a significant element of fashion that appeals to customers in a gender correlated way.

I kind of wonder why the gloves come off here. This was just a product announcement, but suppose it had been a review from a person who liked the pen. Is it really that ugly? I can think of some well liked inks that might go with it.

I don't think it's ugly! In fact the more I look at it, the more I think, "I bet it looks nice in person."

However, and I know you'll feel the same, I will defend the right of others to think it looks ugly. And I would fervently hope no one would be so rude as to express that to someone who had bought the pen and loves it. That would be not kind, helpful or necessary.

naimitsu
June 19th, 2015, 11:51 PM

Honestly, what sparked my sense of outrage was this: "I suspect that her view is more prevalent than what we see represented here."
It strikes me as a rather flippant remark against those of us women who did not like the pen for whatever reason. As if our opinions were overblown or should be disregarded simply on the opinion of one woman you know. Until your comment, most of us simply stated that we didn't like it. Some of us were specific.

And just because you believe that this sort of marketing works does not mean it should have been done in the first place. As others have pointed out, they have other non-exclusionary lines that the pink pen could have been added to. There is a purpose for most fashion items to be marketed towards a certain gender due to physical limitations. That's not the case here.

00Photo
June 20th, 2015, 12:33 AM
I am totally getting that pink one. It's dreamy.

View from the Loft
June 20th, 2015, 02:30 AM
Pelikan obviously believe that there is a market out there for this pen, and have packaged it to their target market.

I'm not part of their target market for this one, and find this concept of a Barbie pink item with a box reminiscent of underwear too silly for words.

Thos of you who know me in real life will know that I have been seen in polo shirts in fuschia, and have tried out some of the pink Iro inks - so have nothing against pink in general.

But this pen just does nothing for me - and would still not appeal had it been marketed as candy cane, summer blossom or pink Stesseman.

So, I won't be saving up for this one.

And while I personally think that the marketing concept is outdated, part of me has a grudging admiration for the way they have got us debating this one: it's all publicity for them.

Newbreed
June 20th, 2015, 03:26 AM
Look like some great designs! There will be a market for them.

Always loved the pelicans!

Chrissy
June 20th, 2015, 05:17 AM
I'm not sure I would rush out to buy either, although I like the Classic 205 Amethyst

Neo
June 20th, 2015, 05:25 AM
I'm not sure I would rush out to buy either, although I like the Classic 205 Amethyst

Ditto

mhosea
June 20th, 2015, 06:59 AM
I do apologize if my remark about my suspicions seemed flippant. I think the marketing is a little cheesy, myself. However, that was a reaction, and if it seemed like the first insensitive remark of the thread to anyone, then I can only conclude that the insensitivity is complete, indeed. I was fairly pissed off when I wrote it and only hoped that I had toned it down enough to hide that.

Laura N
June 20th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Well, keep in mind that the material referencing the "Ladies' Collection" for the pink-striped M600 were released by one seller only. Who I believe is located in Spain. It seems that the pink one isn't scheduled for release until September. Further, those tweets have now been removed, I notice. It's possible that the Ladies' Collection nomenclature wouldn't have been used in marketing by Pelikan USA or Pelikan in Western Europe, but was designated for other regions. It's possible it was a preliminary concept that Pelikan has since dropped. In any case it would seem to me that if Pelikan were upsetting customers or potential customers, they probably appreciate the feedback.

Laura N
June 20th, 2015, 08:14 AM
I do apologize if my remark about my suspicions seemed flippant. I think the marketing is a little cheesy, myself. However, that was a reaction, and if it seemed like the first insensitive remark of the thread to anyone, then I can only conclude that the insensitivity is complete, indeed. I was fairly pissed off when I wrote it and only hoped that I had toned it down enough to hide that.

I didn't see any remark, including yours, as insensitive. Just different opinions. I'd be curious what you thought was insensitive?

Further, Pelikan's marketing doesn't upset me in the least. If anything I find it a little amusing because it seems a little anachronistic for the US. But appropriate for other markets, to be sure. Also, I think Pelikan was trying to have a little fun and be a little less stodgy, which I like. Above all, this is Pelikan we are talking about, and these are fountain pens, which seem to appeal to many traditionalists. When the M600 Ruby came out -- which is red -- there were a number of men who stated that they found it "too feminine" to buy. That was a few years ago, maximum. Since I remember that, and I am a Pelikan fan, I have some sympathy for the challenges facing Pelikan when they want to put out a pink pen.

However, on the chance that Mike or anyone else finds that any of my remarks were insensitive, I absolutely apologize, too. They weren't meant that way. For me, it's all just opinions, and I enjoy reading those of others. For me, two new Pelikans is a purely happy thought. Especially in interesting colors. So, for me, it was a nice break at a time when some horrible things have happened in the news, that do make me feel genuine outrage and sadness. In contract, if there's an expensive pink pen marketed in a manner that seems a little anachronistic or perhaps redolent of Victoria's Secret? Well, I don't think anything except "ooh shiny." But I don't feel upset if other people have different opinions. However, I am sorry if I caused anyone to feel bad with any of my opinions or how they were expressed.

Neo
June 20th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Maybe Pelikan is just trying to market to a new demographic in order to increase sales.....

naimitsu
June 20th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Maybe Pelikan is just trying to market to a new demographic in order to increase sales.....

Which begs the question, how many women vs men have Pelikans on this forum?
We may not be representative, but the other half has two and I have none. Granted, I'm not a fan of their nibs after writing with the 400NN and the Polar Lights pens. There's something about their higher end pens that doesn't seem to mesh well with my hand and/or writing style. The Pelikano Junior, on the other hand, was a riot to write with! Don't know what it is about that pen but I couldn't help the giggly little monster in my head that was capering around in there!

VertOlive
June 20th, 2015, 12:26 PM

I think you're on to something with that thought. My husband or son would buy this for me for Mother's Day and feel like they had brought me a prime specimen!

Laura N
June 20th, 2015, 07:07 PM

Which begs the question, how many women vs men have Pelikans on this forum?
We may not be representative, but the other half has two and I have none. Granted, I'm not a fan of their nibs after writing with the 400NN and the Polar Lights pens. There's something about their higher end pens that doesn't seem to mesh well with my hand and/or writing style. The Pelikano Junior, on the other hand, was a riot to write with! Don't know what it is about that pen but I couldn't help the giggly little monster in my head that was capering around in there!

I have Pelikans. More than a few. :)

I think pen forums seem to have a good number of both men and women who really like fountain pens. But, when I've gone to pen shows or pen stores, I have to say that I see more men than women.

tandaina
June 20th, 2015, 09:49 PM
At pen shows I find I'm usually the youngest person in the room and often the only woman. ;) But online pen forums I find many, many more women. So maybe they just don't go to pen shows?

reprieve
June 20th, 2015, 10:42 PM
I've been to a few different pen shows in the US. When I first started going, about six or seven years ago, it seemed like there were basically no other women in attendance. My sense is that there are a few more women who go now, or maybe I just notice them more now because I'm looking, but the men still vastly outnumber the women.

If I walk around the floor with my husband in tow (who knows nothing about pens), most people address him rather than me, assuming that he is the pen person. When they realize that I'm the pen person, not him, they are almost always surprised but are usually quick to recover. On the whole, pen show people are extraordinarily kind and welcoming. Though I have had a few people, usually older men, assume that I must not know anything at all about pens--but I don't know if that's because I look young or because I'm female (or possibly both or possibly for some other reason entirely). But those folks are relatively rare.

Quantum Sailor
June 20th, 2015, 11:12 PM
Maybe it's a response to

My girlfriend likes the pens, I don't think she cared much for the packaging.

I personally was raised to ignore what others think and do what you feel like as long as you aren't hurting anyone. I think that in todays culture there's always going to be a certain segment of society you're going to lose with no matter what you do.

There may be a marketing ploy towards men buying for women. I have read that the diamond jewelry marketing is mainly geared towards men. In the 30's they found that men would spend far more on the jewelry than women would for themselves. (Not sure where I read it but it seemed legitimate).

amk
June 23rd, 2015, 04:54 AM
Pink and black I could like. Pink and white I'm afraid reminds me of a night I drank too much port....

Love the amethyst though. That's a seriously lovely pen and is now on my want list along with the cognac.

TerraNoir
June 23rd, 2015, 06:30 AM
I think the pink and white one...just. No. I think if they wanted to go for something like that, I would prefer a red and black. Oh wait! I already own that one! I'm not too sure what they were thinking. Maybe they saw a custom pen floating about on the interwebs with the same colors and got inspired. That pen looks SUPER nice. Its white marbly acrylic though. Much more cream. To me this look like a knock off.

The Amethyst one...I may have time for that if I see it in person.

Newjelan
June 25th, 2015, 04:45 AM
I love the Amethyst Demonstrator and will definitely buy it. However the pink one is hideous IMO and I find the concept of "ladies' pen" patronising. I can't recall the last time I saw a company advertising a pen as a "man's pen".

As a small woman with lots of pens, many of which are large (including a Pelikan M800 Brown Tortoise), and none of which pink, generalising based on gender is lazy advertising.

I showed this pen to several female friends, none of whom liked it. As for my husband, he thought the ad was from the 1960s.

Laura N
June 25th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Oh my goodness. There is another!

Fountain Pen Hospital (a wonderful store; sadly no affiliation) just posted this: a new "M201 Bayou 200" edition limited to 100 pens exclusively at their store. It looks like the acrylic from the Cities Series Grand Place, but matched with the regular black section, cap and piston knob.

Here is a link (http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/Index_Showcase.asp?BOD=/limited_edition/limited_edition.asp%3FMFG%3D24) to the pen.

Here is a photo from the store's Twitter:

Sob. Want. Sob.

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Sob. Want. Sob.

Off-load some of the excess Safaris. Cash piles up. SCORE!

Laura N
June 25th, 2015, 11:40 AM
Sob. Want. Sob.

Off-load some of the excess Safaris. Cash piles up. SCORE!

I do not understand this word "excess" as it might relate to Safaris.

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I do not understand this word "excess" as it might relate to Safaris.

ex·cess
ikˈses,ˈekses
noun

1. an amount of something that is more than necessary, permitted, or desirable.
"Safaris? Oh, more than three, no doubt."
synonyms: surplus, surfeit, overabundance, superabundance, superfluity, glut

Laura N
June 25th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Well, my dear friend, perhaps there's only one option for us: agree to disagree? :)

What do you think of such a rush of new Pelikans, and all of a sudden? I am amazed, surprised and delighted. This year also brought new M800s. You go, Pelikan!

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2015, 12:58 PM
Oh, I know, I was just brainstorming. ;) You Safari types are like Charleton Heston and his guns, I swear. <sigh> Such as it is...

As for all Pelikans, hey, they must be selling a lot of pens! I've never handled a 200 series pen, my impression was they would be a bit light for me. I'm probably going to check some of them out in SF in a couple months. I liked the Cognac model they have done.

Of course, what I really want are a couple of the "Cities" series they did a few years ago, but those suckers have really held their prices on the used market. Damn those LE models!!

reprieve
June 25th, 2015, 03:30 PM

Fountain Pen Hospital (a wonderful store; sadly no affiliation) just posted this: a new "M201 Bayou 200" edition limited to 100 pens exclusively at their store. It looks like the acrylic from the Cities Series Grand Place, but matched with the regular black section, cap and piston knob.

Here is a link (http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/Index_Showcase.asp?BOD=/limited_edition/limited_edition.asp%3FMFG%3D24) to the pen.

Here is a photo from the store's Twitter:

Sob. Want. Sob.

Darn it. Why'd you have to go and post that? That pen is so very tempting. But I don't need any more temptation (or Pelikans).

reprieve
June 25th, 2015, 03:35 PM
What do you think of such a rush of new Pelikans, and all of a sudden? I am amazed, surprised and delighted. This year also brought new M800s. You go, Pelikan!

Even though I'm not a fan of all of them (and for that my wallet is grateful), I'm thrilled to see so many new Pelikans. I'm glad that they've been releasing fresh materials and color combinations in a variety of sizes.

Laura N
June 25th, 2015, 04:04 PM
That pen is so very tempting. But I don't need any more temptation (or Pelikans).

Me too. Plenty of Pelikans, darn it.

But still. Sob.

ChrisC
June 25th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Is the FPH M201 the same material as the San Fran Cities?

Edit: Grand Place I meanhttp://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1435282611__untitled-2.jpg

Laura N
June 25th, 2015, 08:34 PM

Is the FPH M201 the same material as the San Fran Cities?

Edit: Grand Place I mean

Well, I don't work for Pelikan (sadly), but, as I said, that's what it looks like to me: the Grand Place acrylic. FWIW. Because that and $3 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks. :) Just my opinion, in other words. :)

amk
June 26th, 2015, 03:04 PM
I do quite like the fact that Pelikan has taken the very sober Stresemann design and made it in pink. That's quite irreverent and transgressive. But it's a bit too candy pink, and I don't like the pink with white - a red top lik the 101n might have fitted better, or even black

As for the ladeez marketing... Ugh.

I uspect more women will end upbuying the gorgeous amethyst!

dr.grace
June 26th, 2015, 07:29 PM
Can we assume they didn't do focus group testing?

Bogon07
June 28th, 2015, 04:22 PM

Perhaps they did.
You never know what sort of demographics they use to select a target group.

naimitsu
June 28th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I always question the use of focus groups. They seem to be wrong more often than not...

Sammyo
June 28th, 2015, 05:09 PM
So I had some time and a silly idea. I took the candy striped Pelikan and changed the creamy white for a more coffee cream colour. I wasn't sure if I was going to post this, but as I said it was a silly idea and a bit of fun and ultimately I liked the way it came out.

dr.grace
June 28th, 2015, 05:11 PM

Perhaps they did.

Based on the comments in this thread, I imagine they used demographics other than female fountain pen enthusiasts.

Neo
June 28th, 2015, 05:23 PM

Perhaps they did.

Based on the comments in this thread, I imagine they used demographics other than female fountain pen enthusiasts.

Maybe they used the same focus group as Mattel for new Barbies.

migo984
June 28th, 2015, 05:59 PM

Perhaps they did.

Maybe they used the same focus group as Mattel for new Barbies.

:pound:

tandaina
June 28th, 2015, 07:33 PM
So I had some time and a silly idea. I took the candy striped Pelikan and changed the creamy white for a more coffee cream colour. I wasn't sure if I was going to post this, but as I said it was a silly idea and a bit of fun and ultimately I liked the way it came out.

That's quite pretty!

Scrawler
June 28th, 2015, 07:33 PM
That M600 makes me wish I was a lady.

Crazyorange
June 28th, 2015, 07:36 PM

Ohhh....that's so much better. You have a good eye for color.

alc3261
June 29th, 2015, 04:03 AM
I absolutely love the Amethyst demonstrator. I'll definitely be buying that one; I might even pick up the matching ballpoint, too. As for the pink M600... I do love pink, but this pen and its silly box is a fail for me.

+1 I MUST have the Amethyst!!

alc3261
June 29th, 2015, 04:23 AM

I think you're on to something with that thought. My husband or son would buy this for me for Mother's Day and feel like they had brought me a prime specimen!

I must remember to make it very clear that I wouldn't touch this pen with a bargepole.

alc3261
June 29th, 2015, 04:33 AM

This is a big improvement!!

Scrawler
June 29th, 2015, 05:47 AM
I hate to be disagreeable, but I like that candy stripe M600. I think that Pelikan did not have have overwealthy, misguided husbands and lovers in mind, but actually had obstreperous old farts like me in mind. They knew that out there, there was a cadre of disaffected old men who really wanted to express certain opinions in a subtle manner, by signing the minutes of their gentleman's club with a pen like that, using Ottaman Rose, or Levenger Pinkly ink.

Laura N
June 29th, 2015, 11:57 AM

I must remember to make it very clear that I wouldn't touch this pen with a bargepole.

That reminds me of the Christmas long ago when my father bought my mother a vacuum cleaner. Let's just say we all learned a lesson that day. :)

In the spirit of family harmony, I am stepping up right now and volunteering to give a loving home to anyone's unwanted pink Pelikans. :angel:

Laura N
June 29th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I hate to be disagreeable, but I like that candy stripe M600. I think that Pelikan did not have have overwealthy, misguided husbands and lovers in mind, but actually had obstreperous old farts like me in mind. They knew that out there, there was a cadre of disaffected old men who really wanted to express certain opinions in a subtle manner, by signing the minutes of their gentleman's club with a pen like that, using Ottaman Rose, or Levenger Pinkly ink.

I'm guessing that means something different north of the border. :)

Jon Szanto
June 29th, 2015, 12:11 PM

In a way, I'm hoping not!

Laura N
June 29th, 2015, 12:30 PM

In a way, I'm hoping not!

Well, there is the box.

Scrawler
June 29th, 2015, 12:40 PM

A club for Gentlemen. IE not for ladies. It means the same as in England. What does it mean where you live?

Jon Szanto
June 29th, 2015, 12:45 PM
A club for Gentlemen. IE not for ladies. It means the same as in England. What does it mean where you live?

http://media.yellowbot.com/r/650x500/photos/1kDd-37n7JG_o--/tattletales-strip-club-levittown-pa.jpg

Scrawler
June 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM

Please send one to me, my birthday at leas

That reminds me of the Christmas long ago when my father bought my mother a vacuum cleaner. Let's just say we all learned a lesson that day. :)

In the spirit of family harmony, I am stepping up right now and volunteering to give a loving home to anyone's unwanted pink Pelikans. :angel:

If anyone does have an unwanted one, please remember my birthday is coming up. I promise to keep it in my tuxedo at all times, so that when I am called to sign or witness anything, I shall be able to do so with style and aplomb. :cheers:

Scrawler
June 29th, 2015, 12:49 PM

http://media.yellowbot.com/r/650x500/photos/1kDd-37n7JG_o--/tattletales-strip-club-levittown-pa.jpg

No nothing like this. Ladies are not allowed, and men who go to clubs such as this are not gentlemen.

Laura N
June 29th, 2015, 12:52 PM

If anyone does have an unwanted one, please remember my birthday is coming up. I promise to keep it in my tuxedo at all times, so that when I am called to sign or witness anything, I shall be able to do so with style and aplomb. :cheers:

Hey, I asked first!!!! :)

We'll draw for it, I guess. I am a lady, after all. :)

Crazyorange
June 29th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Talk about a hot pink pen. It's getting a lot of attention for being "ugly". I can see it now....75 years in the future somebody will end up on antique roadshow with a pink pelikan that has been in the back of drawer.....it will be the rare pelikan no one wanted back in the day and is worth thousands.

Scrawler
June 29th, 2015, 01:47 PM

Yes, and I am a gentleman, so I will defer to you. No draw will be needed. In the unlikely event that one does turn up in the post, I will send it to you. It will go so well with the new Breast Cancer Awareness Tartan kilt I have my eye on though. http://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartandesign/details/23858

Laura N
June 29th, 2015, 04:12 PM
^ I think the only way to ratify and confirm our display of manners and selflessness is to share all the unwanted pink Pelikans we collect. Plus, that will ensure twice the love for those poor orphaned birds.

Bogon07
June 29th, 2015, 04:39 PM

Yes, and I am a gentleman, so I will defer to you. No draw will be needed. In the unlikely event that one does turn up in the post, I will send it to you. It will go so well with the new Breast Cancer Awareness Tartan kilt I have my eye on though. http://www.scotweb.co.uk/tartandesign/details/23858

Interesting tartan - how does it go with your blue painted face when you are doing a Braveheart ?
Still some of the thin stripes could be lilac or pale peppermint green to liven it up a bit.

Scrawler
June 29th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I do not do Braveheart. I leave that to the young warriors who run around with swords and shields. Last week we had our annual Kilt Run, https://youtu.be/5X5VspCC4rI. This is an annual event in our county town. At my age I am more sedate. Perhaps one day some of you will stop by and enjoy the festivities.

Laura N
June 29th, 2015, 08:33 PM
So, looking back at the posts, I find an interesting set of results.

Of the first two forthcoming Pelikans, the amethyst seems to be an unqualified success. The numbers, however, are interesting. By my count, approximately 11 women said they like it, with many stating they would surely purchase it, or would strongly consider it. Three people whose gender is unknown by me said they liked it, too. Not one person said he or she didn't like it. However, only one man affirmatively said he liked it, and he did not indicate that he'd buy it. A few men opined that their wives or significant others probably would like it.

The pink M600 is much more controversial. By my count, only four women said they liked it, including me (though I'm negative on the white trim), a friend who told me she liked it but didn't want to post on this thread, and two significant others of male members of this forum, specifically Quantum Sailor's girlfriend and Mike's wife. However, there were numerous strong negative votes from women, citing the pen color or the marketing or both. A total of eight women said they disliked the pen. So, among women, the votes are two-to-one negative. But, in notable contrast to the amethyst, which drew only slight male support, the "ladies collection" pink M600 had four likes from men. While five men disliked the pink. So among men, the like-dislike ratio is nearly equal. Of those whose gender is unknown to me, one liked it and two disliked it, which is the same ratio as women respondents.

Obviously, liking a pen isn't the same as purchasing a pen. But at this stage, we can't purchase, so initial reactions are all we can go by.

I'd say that it looks like the amethyst M200 might sell well, possibly better than the previous, duller M200 demonstrator colors. The amethyst appeals to women without being in any way specifically marketed at women. But it does not seem to appeal to men. Perhaps that is because the M200 size is smaller. And I think it is also possible that the majority of men don't like the purple color. Whereas women seem to strongly like it.

It seems that, at least in the English-speaking West, Pelikan should drop the "ladies collection" marketing. It seems to alienate a majority of women customers, who feel patronized and disrespected. It doesn't feel modern. Moreover, the pin-stripe pink, in the larger M600 size, seems to appeal to men customers here in the West. And those men might also reasonably feel alienated by the "ladies collection" tag and Victoria's Secret box.

That's my two cents, anyway.

rdcalhoon
June 29th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I agree that the unfortunate 1950's marketing will probably deter a lot of people who would otherwise quite like the pink stripe pen. And the lace up box? What is that about?

My entire Pelikan experience is my yellow Pelikan Future (nice little writer, wish it posted), but to me the pink stripe pen is much more immediately recognizable as a Pelikan. The amethyst pen requires a closer look to recognize it as a Pelikan. That may also impact the like/dislike ratios for these two pens.

Sammyo
June 29th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks Laura, an engineer loves analysis... oo er!

The below comments are my personal opinion, they do not override any body's personal taste. You are not wrong because your opinion is different to mine and mine is not wrong because it is different to your's.

Any who, to officially throw my hat into the ring... both me (male) and my wife would consider buying the amethyst, whereas neither of us would consider the pink M600. In fact purple is my wife's favourite colour and my second after orange.

IMHO the M200 just looks nice, they choose the right colour, the right shade, the right trim, etc... When I look at the pink, it looks gaudy and tacky and doesn't seem to exude the class you would expect from a Pelikan M600. It looks like a novelty pen you would win from competing on a game show... but not winning ;)

But that's me, they made both because someone will want to buy them and they will love them.

tandaina
June 29th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Laura hit the nail on the head. I don't actually hate the *pen* itself. And if it were maybe cream and a slightly less garish pink I'd actually jump on it. (I do actually like pink but prefer more dusky rose pinks). Current colors I wouldn't spend M600 prices on but would have likely bought at M400 prices IF the advertising had been different. What I responded to was all the advertising. If they'd just released it as a special edition pink, no issue. But making it the "ladies collection" reminds me of that stupid Bic pen for women. (seriously, read the comments (http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Cristal-1-0mm-Black-MSLP16-Blk/dp/B004F9QBE6)!)

From the collection title to the stupid box it earned a big ole "oh no you didn't!" from me. ;) Huge marketing misstep.

Sammyo
June 30th, 2015, 07:59 AM
Conversation I had with my wife last night...

It's funny that if it was released as a breast cancer awareness pen, where some of the money went to charity... we would all love it!

VertOlive
June 30th, 2015, 08:57 AM
Heresy Hammer just put up a review of an Astounding Pink Pen...What IS it with the Pink Pen thing?

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/12461-Sailor-Moon-Fountain-Pen-Review

naimitsu
June 30th, 2015, 10:30 AM
Heresy Hammer just put up a review of an Astounding Pink Pen...What IS it with the Pink Pen thing?

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/12461-Sailor-Moon-Fountain-Pen-Review

Ok, so that one doesn't quite count. It's based off of a manga/anime and the color scheme was determined prior to the creation or design on the pen.
Plus, the English translation of the series is "Pretty Soldiers Sailor Moon", so the pink pen fits the pretty, pretty princess theme.

Laura N
June 30th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Dear goodness.

See! Pelikan pink: looking better all the time. :)

Chrissy
June 30th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Actually, the more I look at the pink candy stripe Pelikan M600, the more I quite like it. If someone sent me one I would definitely write with it ;)

Jon Szanto
June 30th, 2015, 12:07 PM
http://www.aleksandramir.info/img/scale/630/552/2012/12/31/Pink_Tank_w.jpg

Laura N
June 30th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Actually, the more I look at the pink candy stripe Pelikan M600, the more I quite like it.

Me, too! It totally grew on me.

Call me crazy, but I wish we could get Sammyo to mock up a version with light green, pale pink, raspberry or even lilac trim instead of white. My approach being: more campy with the pen, less campy with the box. :)

VertOlive
June 30th, 2015, 03:34 PM
Definitely in for a lime green version!

Jon Szanto
June 30th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Call me crazy

You crazy, girl.

Bogon07
June 30th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Conversation I had with my wife last night...

It's funny that if it was released as a breast cancer awareness pen, where some of the money went to charity... we would all love it!

Exactly.

And you can see some being raffled off to raise money for the cause too.

Kaweco has released a pink Skyline Sport too ! It should be 'safe' as it isn't being marketed as a "Ladies Pen"
http://fontoplumo.nl/shop/en/kaweco-fountain-pens/988-kaweco-sport-skyline-fountain-pen-pink.html

reprieve
June 30th, 2015, 05:13 PM
The pink tortoise is growing on me as well. Funny how that happens. :)

I liked the bright pink striped barrel from the beginning, but just not the white trim. Now I'm kind of getting used to the white trim (though I still think it would have looked better with a brown cap and piston knob/section). I'm curious to see "real life" photos of the pen.

amk
June 30th, 2015, 05:58 PM
I wonder how the Pink Pelikan compares with Sailor's Hello Kitty LE (http://www.sanrio.com/product/hello-kitty-40th-anniversary-fountain-pen/)?

migo984
June 30th, 2015, 06:34 PM
I'm so out of step with all this. I shudder just looking at the pink Pelikan frou-frou confection, and that's disregarding the ill-considered marketing. All it reminds me of is that artificial sickly pink bubble gum.

Laura N
June 30th, 2015, 07:18 PM
Call me crazy

You crazy, girl.

Yes! Crazy for the USWNT, Carli Lloyd and a certain pink Pelikan!

*Jon, this has been your daily sports-related moment of agony. Think of it this way: I'm keeping you current. :)

Sammyo
June 30th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Actually, the more I look at the pink candy stripe Pelikan M600, the more I quite like it.

Me, too! It totally grew on me.

Call me crazy, but I wish we could get Sammyo to mock up a version with light green, pale pink, raspberry or even lilac trim instead of white. My approach being: more campy with the pen, less campy with the box. :)
Let me see what I can do... These are not as good as before as I have just knocked them out quickly... however... please feel free to ask for other colours :)
Black

Lilac

Lime green

Raspberry

Soft pink

Teal

Yellow

Crazyorange
June 30th, 2015, 07:21 PM
Call me crazy

You crazy, girl.

Yes! Crazy for the USWNT, Carli Lloyd and a certain pink Pelikan!

*Jon, this has been your daily sports-related moment of agony. Think of it this way: I'm keeping you current. :)

Put the pink pelikan with lamy grumpy bear.....pure girly heaven.

sgtstretch
June 30th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Sammyo, the Teal/Pink and Black/Pink combos look pretty good! I think I'd like those best.

Laura N
June 30th, 2015, 07:51 PM
Sammyo, the Teal/Pink and Black/Pink combos look pretty good! I think I'd like those best.

Oooh yes. That black and pink is especially awesome! Sold.

I could see lilac working, too, maybe if they go purple instead of pink on the stripes. A Pelikan Sorbet Collection perhaps. Imagine the box possibilities....

Jon Szanto
June 30th, 2015, 09:51 PM
I'm away, rooting on the Women to a grand semi-final win, and come back to find my favorite pen hang-out has turned into "My Little Pony". I may go nuts.

VertOlive
July 1st, 2015, 01:53 PM
I'm away, rooting on the Women to a grand semi-final win, and come back to find my favorite pen hang-out has turned into "My Little Pony". I may go nuts.

My stuffed bear stands guard guard over my Pen Armoire, wearing a crocheted beret made for him by Kenshin......

Lady Onogaro
July 1st, 2015, 01:59 PM
I like the black and pink one, too. That's a great combo.

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 10:36 AM
And there's a new M800 coming out? Available in September, which is also the date I've heard for the pink Pelikan.

This link (http://www.lastilograficamilano.it/1-catalogo-prodotti/24-penne-pelikan/676-pelikan-souveran-800-burnt-orange) is to an Italian store, but if you open it in Chrome it translates to English.

Pelikan, I love you, but you're driving me into bankruptcy.

Sevenof9
July 3rd, 2015, 11:55 AM
And there's a new M800 coming out? Available in September, which is also the date I've heard for the pink Pelikan.

This link (http://www.lastilograficamilano.it/1-catalogo-prodotti/24-penne-pelikan/676-pelikan-souveran-800-burnt-orange) is to an Italian store, but if you open it in Chrome it translates to English.

that one is sumptuous and much nicer than the Streseman ....7

Scrawler
July 6th, 2015, 12:52 PM

that one is sumptuous and much nicer than the Streseman ....7

I am sorry, but I feel compelled to disagree with you.

mhosea
July 6th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I've not quite gotten on the burnt orange bandwagon. I see the above pen, and the MB Hemingway, and can only muster ambivalence for the color scheme. I'm not an especially attentive alumnus, but maybe it's fallout from having been a Baylor bear rather than a Texas longhorn. I do have a mandarin yellow Bexley Poseidon Magnum II, not that I'm especially fond of that color, either.

Lady Onogaro
July 6th, 2015, 06:11 PM
I have an order in for the Amethyst. I have a birthday coming up.

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 06:21 PM

Excellent choice! It will make you happy on your birthday and afterwards. :)

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 06:27 PM
I've not quite gotten on the burnt orange bandwagon. I see the above pen, and the MB Hemingway, and can only muster ambivalence for the color scheme. I'm not an especially attentive alumnus, but maybe it's fallout from having been a Baylor bear rather than a Texas longhorn. I do have a mandarin yellow Bexley Poseidon Magnum II, not that I'm especially fond of that color, either.

I really like that burnt orange color in pens. In my case I think it's because of the original Duofold. Which also makes me like mandarin yellow. :)

Luckily the M800 is too big for me, because I'd want all three of the 2015 M800s, I really would.

Bogon07
July 6th, 2015, 06:57 PM

I really like that burnt orange color in pens. In my case I think it's because of the original Duofold. Which also makes me like mandarin yellow. :)

Luckily the M800 is too big for me, because I'd want all three of the 2015 M800s, I really would.

You could get a giant hand graft and then you could get all three M800s. :)

Actually, I think this Burnt Orange M800 would look much better in the striped Stresemann format.
The thin black stripes would contrast dramatically with the orange ones.

My current solid orange (persimmon) pen is a Visconti power filler & it annoyingly also has no ink window.
http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4347&d=1375334997

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 07:28 PM
You could get a giant hand graft and then you could get all three M800s. :)

Brilliant! They always say the simplest solution is the best.

Lady Onogaro
July 7th, 2015, 12:00 AM

That's a handsome pen. If someone wanted to give it to me, I wouldn't turn it down at all.

pajaro
July 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM
The burnt orange looks like Halloween.

The pink striper with a white cap reminds me of the other white capped Pelikan pen in M400 and M600 trim with the golden colors. I have one of those but almost never use it. Nice pens, but it just doesn't fit my self image somehow. Too much like the white suit group (Da plane! Da plane!). Then again I have lots of pens I like the look of but don't write with.

spotted and speckled
July 8th, 2015, 03:16 PM
Oh, I don't know. Agreed that the pink pen is hideous, but somone said it first--it's not marketed to the english-speaking group. Have you seen the fashions coming out of Japan & Korea? It's pink and bows with odd angles and wrappings--very strange for those of us who got over that around the third grade.

But, it is ugly enough to not get stolen. That would be one reason to get one.

Scrawler
July 8th, 2015, 06:02 PM

I just had my birthday and no pens at all, let alone a Pelikan, found its way to my home.:cry:

Ed333
July 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM
The pink one is... puke worthy since it is supposedly a "women's pen" (since when do I need a pen to be *pink* Pelikan?)

The demonstrator is quite pretty and I'll probably cave and buy one. ;)

re the Pink one, absolutely, a big YUCK, but demos tempt...I have passed on a Cognac so far, but have been tempted.

Laura N
July 26th, 2015, 01:46 PM
Well, as a fan of the pink Pelikan, I am going to keep reviving this topic. For the few, the proud, the pink fans. :)

I found this extreme closeup of the pink binde. It looks like it's going to be translucent.

The image is from the Iguana Sells blog, and here is a link to the page that has information about the pen (http://pens.iguanasell.com/2015/07/20/souveran-600-pink-special-edition/). I've emailed them for more information, and have been told the pink one is slated for release in late September. I have zero connection with them, except for our email correspondence, but they seem super responsive and super nice.

carlc
July 26th, 2015, 02:00 PM
I still dislike the pen but I applaud your continuing championing of it.

Yes Iguana Sell have a good reputation for service (no affiliation etc).

ETA: I'd also like to point out that my dislike of the pen is not based on its colour per se, having just bought a Rose NS Duofold.

migo984
July 26th, 2015, 02:21 PM
ETA: I'd also like to point out that my dislike of the pen is not based on its colour per se, having just bought a Rose NS Duofold.

Good catch, Carl. That is a very attractive Parker. I was tempted but price went a little bit high for me. Looks like a great nib too 😊

carlc
July 26th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks Migo.

To be honest it was out of my comfort zone but that colour has been on my wish list for a long time and I rarely see one (though I usually stay off EBay). I missed on an unrestored one yesterday and when I saw who the seller of this one was I was happy to go higher than I would have contemplated at other times.

It does mean I haven't got the money to get Cob to work on two Swans I need him to look at. They'll just have to wait until the wallet is out of intensive care!

migo984
July 26th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Thanks Migo.

To be honest it was out of my comfort zone but that colour has been on my wish list for a long time and I rarely see one (though I usually stay off EBay). I missed on an unrestored one yesterday and when I saw who the seller of this one was I was happy to go higher than I would have contemplated at other times.

It does mean I haven't got the money to get Cob to work on two Swans I need him to look at. They'll just have to wait until the wallet is out of intensive care!

I think you made a smart buy, especially if such a pen had been on your wish list for so long. You can be certain it's going to be a good 'un. And grab 'em while you can, I say 😊

carlc
July 26th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Migo the retrograde enabler! 😊

Rin Tin Pen
July 26th, 2015, 10:17 PM
Never mind -- drinking.

Jmickey
July 26th, 2015, 10:34 PM
I think the idea of men and women having their own pens is absolutely silly.

I will definitely be ordering that Amethyst demonstrator this week along with the matching ink!

mhosea
July 26th, 2015, 10:50 PM

The point seems moot now, as they have apparently (wisely) scrapped the idea of marketing a "Ladies Collection". Welcome to FPGeeks, BTW.

tandaina
July 27th, 2015, 12:11 PM

The point seems moot now, as they have apparently (wisely) scrapped the idea of marketing a "Ladies Collection". Welcome to FPGeeks, BTW.

Really? So the pen is no longer being marketed just to us ladies?

Ian
July 27th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I refer to M600 as my Lady Pelikan since I got from Massdrop. I didn't expect it to be so small.

mhosea
July 27th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Really? So the pen is no longer being marketed just to us ladies?

I'm inclined to think it was always marketed to men as a gift they might buy for a woman. At any rate, now it's for people who "dare to be different", and (for now, at least) the "Ladies Collection" business has magically disappeared from the current marketing materials (http://pens.iguanasell.com/2015/07/20/souveran-600-pink-special-edition/).

tandaina
July 27th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Something that hadn't occurred to me. I wonder if there is the same cracking issue with these as with the white tortoise? Anyone know for sure if that's been cleared up? (I've got an old M400 white tortoise that does indeed have cracks, still love it, but I wonder if the white cap material is the problem.

Laura N
July 27th, 2015, 01:14 PM
I do dare to be different. I must have it!

Seriously, that advertising tag is a lot more appealing to me at least. :)

Laura N
July 27th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I refer to M600 as my Lady Pelikan since I got from Massdrop. I didn't expect it to be so small.

That's so funny. I can't use the M200 without pain, it's so thin and light, so I reluctantly have to let all the beautiful M200 special editions pass me by. Sob. But the M600 is perfect for me.

Sounds like you need an M800.

Ian
July 27th, 2015, 04:37 PM
I think a M800 would be ideal. I have a M1000 which I am pretty happy with, but it can be a bit large for regular use. I wish I could find a red M800. I would like some of the 200 series specials if they were bigger too. I really like the looks of the Amethyst.

bluefeathers
July 27th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Well I too am relieved they changed the marketing materials :) while we're at it I will chime in: I want to see them release an etched demonstrator in the m400 or m600 size. I wish they would release special editions across all or multiple sizes so that we can all partake of the fun.

Laura N
September 10th, 2015, 11:53 AM
The Pink M600s are coming. :)

Laura N
September 11th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Well, the Pink Pelikan is raspberry, not hot pink. A bit less transgressive and a bit more conservative than I'd hoped. But still! It's pink. Pelikan made a pink pen. It's hilarious. And people are still going to have apoplexy over it. :)

The box is truly dreadful. So, fellow fans of tackiness, we at least have that. :)

And, as always, normal people will not even notice it.

bluesea
September 22nd, 2015, 09:48 PM
Nice and maybe a little tempting, but such a *high* tariff for an M205 Amethyst with gold nib.

http://www.nibs.com/pelikan-classic-m205-amethyst-special-edition.htm

The Good Captain
September 23rd, 2015, 02:58 AM
I just can't wait for the Burnt Orange M800!

bluesea
September 27th, 2015, 12:50 PM
Although I'm not buying one, I'm not averse to owning the pink M600 because it actually its pretty cool looking. Am seriously thinking about an Amethyst M205...

inklord
September 27th, 2015, 08:48 PM
Why would anyone buy these grossly overpriced Pelikans? ;)
(Just kidding - I'm a real fan of the good ol' green-and-black M400)

migo984
September 27th, 2015, 11:44 PM
Nice and maybe a little tempting, but such a *high* tariff for an M205 Amethyst with gold nib.

Don't pay that ridiculous price. I bought mine for £135, with a 14c nib, from Niche Pens (UK). It writes beautifully.

Their international shipping is a flat rate £12.95 including insurance and tracking.

http://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/acatalog/Pelikan_Special_Limited_Edition_Pens.html

bluesea
September 28th, 2015, 10:09 AM

Don't pay that ridiculous price. I bought mine for £135, with a 14c nib, from Niche Pens (UK). It writes beautifully.

Their international shipping is a flat rate £12.95 including insurance and tracking.

http://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/acatalog/Pelikan_Special_Limited_Edition_Pens.html

Was looking at that last night. Can't say for sure what gold nib nibs.com is specifying on their Amethyst SE, but I would verify before buying. Otoh I'm warming up to the idea of an M600 as an option to the M205. Can't seem to find the right color/pattern yet.

Chrissy
September 28th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Well, the Pink Pelikan is raspberry, not hot pink. A bit less transgressive and a bit more conservative than I'd hoped. But still! It's pink. Pelikan made a pink pen. It's hilarious. And people are still going to have apoplexy over it. :)

The box is truly dreadful. So, fellow fans of tackiness, we at least have that. :)

And, as always, normal people will not even notice it.

Your blog pics make it look much better. I'm putting it on my Christmas list. :)

amk
October 5th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Well, it's taken me a while, but I have finally pushed the button on a Pink Pelikan. I do like raspberry ripple. :-)

Laura N
October 5th, 2015, 02:43 PM
Congratulations. I love mine.

nospam666
October 13th, 2015, 02:27 PM
I would love to see some photos of the pink one in action. Does anyone have some handy?

Chrissy
October 13th, 2015, 02:37 PM
I would love to see some photos of the pink one in action. Does anyone have some handy?

Click on the 'my blog' link immediately above your post. :)

Laura N
October 13th, 2015, 02:39 PM

I posted some thoughts and photos on my blog, which are here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/09/11/first-look-pelikan-m600-pink/comment-page-1/) and here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/09/12/tickled-pink-the-pelikan-m600-pink/comment-page-1/).

nospam666
October 13th, 2015, 02:56 PM

Click on the 'my blog' link immediately above your post. :)
Can't see it. I'm on Tapatalk... No signatures.

nospam666
October 13th, 2015, 02:57 PM

I posted some thoughts and photos on my blog, which are here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/09/11/first-look-pelikan-m600-pink/comment-page-1/) and here (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/09/12/tickled-pink-the-pelikan-m600-pink/comment-page-1/).
Thanks! Off to look.... Hoping against hope this doesn't lead to another 'must have' .

pajaro
October 15th, 2015, 01:04 PM
I was a little iffy about being seen with the White Tortoise. The pink stereotype pen cute but no cigar. I like a pink dress shirt with gray pants, but the pink pen is too much except at Christmas -- candy cane connection.