PDA

View Full Version : New 1670 J Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Lady Onogaro
June 18th, 2015, 02:46 PM
For those of you who like the 1670 line by J. Herbin, check this out:

http://goldspotpens.blogspot.com/2015/06/new-j-herbin-1670-anniversary-emerald.html

Pretty sheen-y.

reprieve
June 18th, 2015, 02:56 PM
It's a really pretty shade of teal. But I think I'm one of the few people who would prefer it without the gold glitter. Still, the color is gorgeous--it reminds me a bit of two of my favorites, Iroshizuku Ku-jaku and Sailor Yama-dori.

top pen
June 18th, 2015, 03:06 PM
My dream 1670 dark brown with gold sparkles will have to wait another year it seems. :(

It's a nice enough colour though.

Laura N
June 18th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Oooh, I like that. I hope it looks like that on the page -- not just close up. I didn't have much luck with the grey one.

tandaina
June 18th, 2015, 03:50 PM
I will definitely buy it.

naimitsu
June 18th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Oh great... yet another ink I need to buy!
Pretty soon my ink collection is going to look like I'm a hoarder!!!
Oh well! At least they're pretty ;)

FredRydr
June 19th, 2015, 05:46 AM
Will this stuff go through the feed of a fountain pen?

Fred

Laura N
June 19th, 2015, 05:56 AM

Fred

Yes, although I think they put a sticker on the box to scare people. I've used two of the prior colors with no problems. The only wrinkle is that you might have to shake the pen before each use, to evenly distribute the gold flecks.

nicholasyeo
June 19th, 2015, 06:31 AM
A really lovely ink... Gold and dark green do go together, but I never end up using any of the 1670 inks I have because I am afraid of my pen feeds!

naimitsu
June 19th, 2015, 06:50 AM

Fred

Yes, although I think they put a sticker on the box to scare people. I've used two of the prior colors with no problems. The only wrinkle is that you might have to shake the pen before each use, to evenly distribute the gold flecks.

I concur with Laura.
We have all three between me and the other half. The only issue we've encountered aside from the need to shake up the ink, is that it does not travel well. His laptop looks like a smurf pixie sneezed on it.

It's not an ink I would load and leave in a pen. It's one that I would have in a pen only as long as I need/use it.

FredRydr
June 19th, 2015, 07:14 AM
Perhaps a dip pen would be the way to go, except that a fine nib may not exploit the ink's attributes.

Fred

naimitsu
June 19th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Perhaps a dip pen would be the way to go, except that a fine nib may not exploit the ink's attributes.

Fred

I have a fine, a few italics, and a music dip nib. I'll try to get a few samples down for you of the 3 that are already released.

However, the gold fleck contents of the three inks isn't consistent. IMO, the Rouge Hematite displays the most obvious and most showy effect with the flake. It shows up copper on Apica and Tomoe River due to the gold sheen over the red, but almost not at all on Clairefontaine and Rhodia.
The flake on both the Blue Ocean and Stormy Grey are most subtle. It shows up literally like glitter flakes as opposed to the full sheen seen in the Rouge Hematite.

I am hoping that this Emerald performs more like the Rouge Hematite than the other two.

Robert
June 19th, 2015, 08:18 AM
My dream 1670 dark brown with gold sparkles will have to wait another year it seems. :(

It's a nice enough colour though.

I can relate to that - - - and would buy it, too!

Blackhorse
June 19th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I've got quite a number of dip pens but none are on a par with those made by Ranga in India, in terms of writing duration. I routinely get a half page plus on my tablets...and this would seem to mitigate the worry surrounding the feed clogging of these J Herbin special inks and the practicality of using the ink in a dip pen. Sure, it's a desk writing scenario, but that's more than half my writing anyway.

And regarding the new Emerald Ink? All I can say is...WOW!

Sailor Kenshin
June 19th, 2015, 09:04 AM
These are just MY colors! Ooooo.....

tandaina
June 19th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Meh. I've got all three of the previous ones (I bought the first formula of the original red). I have never had a single issue. It flows just fine. You do need to shake the pen gently if it is has been sitting a while (if you want sparkles in your writing.)

Never had any issue cleaning it out of vintage or moderns pens and yes I've forgotten it in a pen and it sat for a long time. Started up on discovery without an issue and still cleaned up fine. They are *very* well behaved inks and at this point I totally just J. Hebrin to know what they are doing with them. I suspect they have stuck with the gold flakes because they have them, they work, and they also trust them. (I'd love to see silver but I can understand sticking with what works.)

Cookies
June 19th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Oh, wow! Beautiful color! I love the sparkles in the previous two, but haven't been particularly fond of either color. Very happy they chose such a gorgeous green this time around. Although, I'd love that brown Top Pen suggested...

earthdawn
June 20th, 2015, 12:47 AM
Ill be waiting in line for this...

If it looks half as good as those pictures I will be happy.

alc3261
June 20th, 2015, 04:56 AM
Meh. I've got all three of the previous ones (I bought the first formula of the original red). I have never had a single issue. It flows just fine. You do need to shake the pen gently if it is has been sitting a while (if you want sparkles in your writing.)

Never had any issue cleaning it out of vintage or moderns pens and yes I've forgotten it in a pen and it sat for a long time. Started up on discovery without an issue and still cleaned up fine. They are *very* well behaved inks and at this point I totally just J. Hebrin to know what they are doing with them. I suspect they have stuck with the gold flakes because they have them, they work, and they also trust them. (I'd love to see silver but I can understand sticking with what works.)

+1!!

Neo
June 20th, 2015, 05:28 AM
+2 :)

writingrav
June 20th, 2015, 06:01 AM

I concur; never had a problem. On the other hand, actually writing so that the gold shows up has been a problem, even after shaking.

Neo
June 20th, 2015, 06:27 AM

I concur; never had a problem. On the other hand, actually writing so that the gold shows up has been a problem, even after shaking.

What kind of paper are you using?

writingrav
June 20th, 2015, 06:30 AM
Usually Tomoe River

Neo
June 20th, 2015, 06:53 AM
That's surprising as sheen tends to come out on TR, have you tried turning the pen gently to redistribute the flecks before writing?

naimitsu
June 20th, 2015, 09:07 AM
What neo said.
I usually tip up/tip down rotate it a few times before writing, with a pause between rotations to promote the reallocation of the flecks.

VertOlive
June 20th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Oooooh. Kind of a sheeney verdigris, I like!

tandaina
June 20th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Usually Tomoe River

Weird, that is all I use and I get incredible sheen! What size nibs? I get best sheen from larger nibs. But even my Fine vanishing point gives lovely sheen in my tomoe river journal. But I am very careful about agitating the pen after any rest. Sheen is best seen from a slight angle, not straight on.

writingrav
June 20th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I'll try again. I use mostly broad nibs and no matter what angle I look from I don't see the gold...mostly. Sometimes I'll get a "glump" of it regardless of shaking. Could just be me.

Tracy Lee
June 22nd, 2015, 07:17 PM
These are just MY colors! Ooooo.....
Me too!!

Cob
June 23rd, 2015, 01:23 AM

http://goldspotpens.blogspot.com/2015/06/new-j-herbin-1670-anniversary-emerald.html

Pretty sheen-y.

The ink may be very good (I have the Stormy Grey and the red one) but dear God who wrote the blurb?

"Opaque transparency"?

Oh dear.

Cob

Neo
June 23rd, 2015, 02:34 AM

Pretty sheen-y.

The ink may be very good (I have the Stormy Grey and the red one) but dear God who wrote the blurb?

"Opaque transparency"?

Oh dear.

Cob

The only choice is to say the writer was clearly confused, and wrote something that is seriously funny. Waiting for stock to arrive will be sweet agony and those able to procure a bottle will be awfully lucky. Those who miss out can only utter a silent scream. As a cheerful pessimist, I know that waiting will require controlled enthusiasm.

Hmmm, feeling a bit peckish now....maybe a twelve oz pound cake with fresh dried fruit and low fat ice cream will hit the spot.

Laura N
June 26th, 2015, 05:49 AM
I just saw a writing sample on Dan's Instagram here (https://instagram.com/p/4Xrgvtvv36/). It looks like there's no problem seeing the gold. :)

TerraNoir
June 26th, 2015, 06:34 AM
I would love to see them just release both the silver and gold ones. It would be fun to mix them up. I will certainly be getting a bottle of this. Perhaps even pre-ordering it.

Tracy Lee
June 26th, 2015, 02:35 PM
I just pre-ordered.

So. Many. Bottles.

One was not going to suffice. Goldspot gave me free shipping, too. They are great to work with.

tandaina
June 26th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I just pre-ordered.

So. Many. Bottles.

One was not going to suffice. Goldspot gave me free shipping, too. They are great to work with.

Spill the beans. I don't see it on Goldspot???

mhosea
June 26th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Spill the beans. I don't see it on Goldspot???

"We are not putting them on the website just yet for sale, but will gladly take phone and e-mail pre-orders from existing customers if you want to be on the queue for when they become available. Call us at 800-963-7367 or message us through our website."

tandaina
June 26th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I'm not an existing customer, I've never bought from them, but sent an email anyway. Doesn't hurt to ask.

mhosea
June 26th, 2015, 03:56 PM
I've bought a lot of ink from Goldspot, but I'm on the fence about buying a bottle of this one because I don't end up using the my other "glittery" 1670 inks all that much, for one reason or another, despite liking them. I should probably try to get a sample of this new one rather than a bottle, since that would probably be all I need.

tandaina
June 26th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Where as I'm plowing through my glittery inks, and my Bung Box sheen inks and using nothing else. I must be in a sparkly phase or something. ;)

Tracy Lee
June 26th, 2015, 05:27 PM
I once had to call Goldspot Pens to make an order because their website was down. They didn't know their website was down and they were so thankful I called they sent me a free bottle of Visconti ink. Super nice folks. I emailed and they called me back in a couple hours and did my preorder over the phone.

musicman123
June 30th, 2015, 11:07 PM
I'm extremely excited about this release! The red sheen and gold flakes really make this one pop! It may replace Yama-Dori in my list of top inks!

VertOlive
July 1st, 2015, 01:48 PM
I was able to pre-order a bottle from Goldspot just by emailing them.

Blackhorse
July 5th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I have one pre-ordered there as well. But here's an advance shot. Goulet has this up, but not in stock yet. I put a link to the listing below.

1) Sit down somewhere and take a few deep breaths.
2) Go to the link.
3) Wait for the slide show images to load.
4) Scoop your lower jaw back up off the table.
5) Push your eyeballs back in.

http://www.gouletpens.com/j-herbin-emerald-of-chivor-1670-anniversary-ink-50ml-bottle/p/H150-35

Blackhorse
July 5th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Oh, and re being an "existing customer" at Gold Spot to pre-order? I just went to their site and set up an "account" using my email address...then sent them an email asking to be put on the pre-order list. They replied right away saying I had been listed, etc. No issues. No hassles. Easy peasy.

sgtstretch
July 6th, 2015, 08:24 AM
I have one pre-ordered there as well. But here's an advance shot. Goulet has this up, but not in stock yet. I put a link to the listing below.

1) Sit down somewhere and take a few deep breaths.
2) Go to the link.
3) Wait for the slide show images to load.
4) Scoop your lower jaw back up off the table.
5) Push your eyeballs back in.

http://www.gouletpens.com/j-herbin-emerald-of-chivor-1670-anniversary-ink-50ml-bottle/p/H150-35

Ed Jelley (http://edjelley.com/2015/06/24/j-herbin-1670-emerald-of-chivor-ink-review-video/) did the press photos for Exaclair, the US distributor, he also has a video of the ink on his site.

Blackhorse
July 6th, 2015, 10:17 AM
Yes, I've seen his review and the vid.
I found the images on the Goulet site
to be more amazing so I chose those.

Thanks though.