PDA

View Full Version : Franklin Christoph Model 20 - Vintage Green

migo984
June 18th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Extremely happy to have just received my new Franklin Christoph Model 20 "Marietta", with a Fine #6 18k factory nib, set to a wet ink flow by Jim at F-C. In my view it's closer to a Medium, but none the worse for that. It has that slight spring to the tines, typical of gold nibs, and is nicely smooth, but with a hint of feedback. Just perfect for me.

It is a surprisingly light pen, weight-wise, with a delicate feel to the material. If you hold the pen up to the light it has a slight translucency to it; this can be seen in some of the photos below. Yet it feels sturdy enough in the hand, and has a very comfortable trumpet-shaped section, made for writing. That's an obvious statement I know, but it's surprising how many pens look great yet are impossible to actually write with, given their design/material. The shape of the Model 20 is very traditional and evocative of 1930s vintage pens. The colour is the new Vintage Green. It's gorgeous. Definitely in the olive-green range. Discrete and very tasteful.

It is supplied in a very nice maroon leather zip-up case, so much more practical than a fancy box. Great idea from F-C.

Well that's enough waffle from me: here are some photos...... (with thanks to Murfie for taking the pics)

Bogon07
June 18th, 2015, 11:14 PM
Congratulations Migo984 - it looks lusciously beautiful like old jade.

Neat bespoke pencil case & a great match up with the ink too.

Consummate photos by Murfie as per usual.

migo984
June 18th, 2015, 11:22 PM

Thanks Bogon - I'm really chuffed with the pen. "Old jade" is a great description; it has that apparent delicacy & fragility that belies it's robustness.

The ink match-up was inspired by you & your pens 😊

manoeuver
June 19th, 2015, 06:33 AM
Gosh that's a nice color. I love my 20 in black, I'll be surprised if I don't end up with an F-C in this color soon...

reprieve
June 19th, 2015, 07:02 AM
This is such a gorgeous pen. I love the color and the design--the clean lines and the curve of the section. I ordered this pen a couple of weeks ago and am hoping that it will be delivered today. I've been staking out my mailbox. Your post made me even more excited for its arrival.

How do you like the slip cap? Does it seem to seal well?

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 10:32 AM
This is such a gorgeous pen. I love the color and the design--the clean lines and the curve of the section. I ordered this pen a couple of weeks ago and am hoping that it will be delivered today. I've been staking out my mailbox. Your post made me even more excited for its arrival.

How do you like the slip cap? Does it seem to seal well?

I'm sure you'll love the pen. I wrote 3 sides of A4 in a letter without pause yesterday and the ink flow was flawless. It seemed to love the Sailor ink I used. The nib is great and the lightweight feel is just so comfortable. And it is such a classy looking pen. Understated and elegant. I'm not one for fancy designs, heavy trims or swirly colours and patterns.

The slip cap feels very secure and fits snugly. I do like the slip cap design, cos no threads 😀. I'm leaving it overnight and will check the ink / nib situation and start-up in the morning, to see if the seal is tight. Will report back.........

Lady Onogaro
June 19th, 2015, 11:50 AM
That is a beautiful pen, Migo! I love the sleek no frills design of it. I also love that green ink you tested it with. I'm going to have to get a bottle, I can see. And maybe a pen to go along with it. :)

Jeph
June 19th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Dag nab it! I had forgotten about this pen and now you make me think about it again. I can't afford any more pens, so please stop! Well, after you give us some more feedback after more use. I agree that the design is very nice. What is that writing around the cap, below the clip? "Franklin-Christoph?" That kind of detracts from the appearance a little, but not enough to drive me away.

VertOlive
June 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Fantastic photos!

To chime in (not meaning to hijack...): I also received this pen last week, my own nib is a steel 1.1 stub. I experienced it as a "jade" sort of look. Right now it's inked with an Organics Studios ink which seems too dry. Next ink should probably be a wetter sort, probably some Sailor masterpiece like migo has chosen. I'm trying to get used to the slip cap, but the pen has been inked for a week with no hard starts.

fqgouvea
June 19th, 2015, 04:34 PM
That fine nib seems to lay down a fairly thick line... Or is that an optical illusion?

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 05:14 PM
That fine nib seems to lay down a fairly thick line... Or is that an optical illusion?

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

As I said in my OP, I consider the nib to be more a medium point as I asked for it to be adjusted for extra wet flow, so it will obviously write a wider line.

gbryal
June 19th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Been thinking about this pen all day. What's wrong with me?

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Been thinking about this pen all day. What's wrong with me?

Errr - you know a good pen when you see it? Let's face it, you need this pen. Badly! 😈😈😈😈

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Dag nab it! I had forgotten about this pen and now you make me think about it again. I can't afford any more pens, so please stop! Well, after you give us some more feedback after more use. I agree that the design is very nice. What is that writing around the cap, below the clip? "Franklin-Christoph?" That kind of detracts from the appearance a little, but not enough to drive me away.

Yes, I was a little bit dubious about that, but it's actually almost invisible in real life. The lightbox seemed to emphasis the edges of the etched letters. It really doesn't detract IMO.

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 06:20 PM
Fantastic photos!

To chime in (not meaning to hijack...): I also received this pen last week, my own nib is a steel 1.1 stub. I experienced it as a "jade" sort of look. Right now it's inked with an Organics Studios ink which seems too dry. Next ink should probably be a wetter sort, probably some Sailor masterpiece like migo has chosen. I'm trying to get used to the slip cap, but the pen has been inked for a week with no hard starts.

Mine is a wet writer, but even so it loves that Kobe ink. I wrote 3 A4 pages from first fill, without a single skip or missed stroke. Very smooth yet with good feedback. I dislike ultra smooth hard nibs, as I just don't feel connected to the paper somehow.

How does your steel stub write? I don't have many stubs as they don't suit my up-and-down, upright writing. I don't get the best out of them.

inklord
June 19th, 2015, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the nice rep on your new one - I just received mine with Masuyama med stub in HPS. Love it. Did you notice the "ice" texture inside the barrel? I think that makes for the milky cloudiness. Quite nice. Have fun!

inklord
June 19th, 2015, 08:36 PM

Thanks Bogon - I'm really chuffed with the pen. "Old jade" is a great description; it has that apparent delicacy & fragility that belies it's robustness.

The ink match-up was inspired by you & your pens 😊
Jade - that's it! I'll maybe pair it up with Organics Studio "Walt Whitman" which has that translucent jade quality as well...

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 09:09 PM

The ink match-up was inspired by you & your pens 
Jade - that's it! I'll maybe pair it up with Organics Studio "Walt Whitman" which has that translucent jade quality as well...

That's just reminded me. I have a bottle of Maruzen Athena Nihombashi Midori (or Green Jade) ink. I'll definitely have to try that next!

inklord
June 20th, 2015, 10:14 AM

The ink match-up was inspired by you & your pens 

That's just reminded me. I have a bottle of Maruzen Athena Nihombashi Midori (or Green Jade) ink. I'll definitely have to try that next!
Wow! Looks like a perfect match! I have now the greenish-grey DeAtramentis "Charles Dickens" in it... Otherwise J.Herbin "Vert Empire" and Diamine "Salamander" are waiting at the sidelines to jump in. Considering it easily holds 3.5 ml in eyedropper mode, I'll not have to change ink too soon though...

VertOlive
June 20th, 2015, 12:29 PM
So far, the un-meistered nib drags a bit; I have refilled it with Pelikan Turmaline and, on Tomoe paper, it writes very smoothly but the line is not quite as crisp as my Edison.

inklord
June 20th, 2015, 01:18 PM
So far, the un-meistered nib drags a bit; I have refilled it with Pelikan Turmaline and, on Tomoe paper, it writes very smoothly but the line is not quite as crisp as my Edison.
Hm. The 'masuyama'd' med. stub on mine is quite wet and throws a well-defined line (with the inherent line variation). Floss the nib-slit a bit?

Zhivago
June 20th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Beautiful pen. Could you say how wet the flow is on a 1-10 scale? 7, perhaps?

Does anyone else think F-C should lose the four diamonds on the crown? They are already on the clip; one set of them is enough. I'd just have the F on the top (perhaps make it slightly larger).

migo984
June 21st, 2015, 02:05 AM

Yes, it is beautiful. Very subtle; not an in-your-face pen.

I'd say it is an 8 minimum, probably a 9. As I mentioned in previous posts I had it adjusted for a wetter flow before it was shipped to me. I don't like dry writers.

inklord
June 21st, 2015, 01:18 PM

Yes, it is beautiful. Very subtle; not an in-your-face pen.

I'd say it is an 8 minimum, probably a 9. As I mentioned in previous posts I had it adjusted for a wetter flow before it was shipped to me. I don't like dry writers.
That agrees with my experience - both my F-C pens are, unadjusted, about 7 regarding flow..

Zhivago
June 21st, 2015, 01:22 PM
9 seems a stretch. I think your nib would be doing the backstroke in ink with a 9. ;)

migo984
June 21st, 2015, 02:58 PM
9 seems a stretch. I think your nib would be doing the backstroke in ink with a 9. ;)

It's very wet.

Zhivago
June 21st, 2015, 03:09 PM
I understand; but at some point the ink would start pooling, etc., and become unusable or close to it.

I think Richard Binder's 'factory setting' is six, and that is wet but not too wet. A seven or so would be really wet but still useable.

I'm no expert; just my two cents.

migo984
June 21st, 2015, 03:20 PM
I understand; but at some point the ink would start pooling, etc., and become unusable or close to it.

I think Richard Binder's 'factory setting' is six, and that is wet but not too wet. A seven or so would be really wet but still useable.

I'm no expert; just my two cents.

I don't bother or really care about what Richard Binder does or says. That's just my judgement and how I compare that nib to my others. As I said, an 8 maybe a 9.

Zhivago
June 21st, 2015, 03:26 PM
lol; okay. It is just a number. You seem happy with the pen and how it writes; that is what counts. I only brought it up because I'm considering the same pen, but have never had flow adjusted by anyone at F-C. Thanks for the information.

VertOlive
June 21st, 2015, 05:52 PM
Does anyone else think F-C should lose the four diamonds on the crown? They are already on the clip; one set of them is enough. I'd just have the F on the top (perhaps make it slightly larger).

I really like the diamonds, and especially the fact the motif is repeated on the cap.

Zhivago
June 21st, 2015, 06:09 PM

I really like the diamonds, and especially the fact the motif is repeated on the cap.

Fair enough. I just prefer minimal branding and don't always like when a motif is used more than once. I think F-C also has/had the saying 'four diamonds in your pocket' as one of their slogans or mottos. But it isn't actually four, it is eight. ;)

reprieve
June 22nd, 2015, 07:31 AM
My pen arrived over the weekend. My initial impressions are that I really, really like it.

The color is a bit milkier than I expected but I think it's a pretty shade. It's different enough from their signature emerald green--I already have a pen in that color and was worried that the vintage green would be too similar but it's not. I like the slip cap a lot. It feels secure. It hasn't dried out yet and has started right up every time I've reached for it, even after sitting overnight. The curve of the section is really comfortable in my hand.

I ordered the Masuyama needlepoint, since I hadn't tried that nib yet, and it's surprisingly smooth. It's similar in width to a Japanese extra fine nib but has a lot less feedback. Flow is very controlled, too, which I like in this fine of a nib so that the line remains thin and crisp.

I haven't bought a pen from Franklin Christoph since they've started packaging their pens in a leather pen pouch. That's such a brilliant idea! It draws attention to their leather line and it provides their customers with a practical case that they can keep using. I think I like the case as much as the pen!

inklord
June 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks, reprieve, especially for your comments about Mr. Masuyama's needlepoint. I had been wondering about how this extra fine nib feels in writing... Do you think it could at all be used in cursive writing?
And yes, that leather pouch is amazing. A local leather worker to whom I showed the pouch said that it is about a $ 15.- to 20.- value - compare that to the otherwise pretty useless 'gift box'.

migo984
June 22nd, 2015, 03:10 PM
Thumbs up from me too for the leather pen pouch. Such a good idea and it's very good quality too. I like the colour (maroon) and the discrete embossed F-C logo.

As promised, here's an update on the effectiveness of the slip cap:

It appears to create a tight & effective seal. You do have to press quite firmly to seat it correctly. The material looks very delicate so I was a bit hesitant to push it on hard enough at first, but you soon get the hang of it.

I left the pen sitting for a day and it started up immediately after un-capping. Full ink flow from the first stroke. I didn't clean all traces of ink from the nib before capping, so there was a small smear of wet ink along the slit and a slick on one tine when I capped it. This was still fully wet after a day. No signs or spots of dried ink anywhere on or around the nib. I'd say the slip-cap design is a good 'un 😊

I'm more used to the light weight of the pen now and it feels well-made in my hand. I don't post my pens, and I'd be reluctant to do so with this pen - I think it might possibly quickly affect/scuff the surface? Others who post their caps might want to comment on this......

reprieve
June 22nd, 2015, 04:56 PM
Thanks, reprieve, especially for your comments about Mr. Masuyama's needlepoint. I had been wondering about how this extra fine nib feels in writing... Do you think it could at all be used in cursive writing?
And yes, that leather pouch is amazing. A local leather worker to whom I showed the pouch said that it is about a $ 15.- to 20.- value - compare that to the otherwise pretty useless 'gift box'.

My regular handwriting is a print/cursive hybrid--so it's not traditional cursive writing, but it's not unconnected block lettering either--and I'm finding the nib to be very smooth especially given that it is such a, well, needlepoint. I've tried out a variety of superfine nibs, mostly of the Japanese variety (Platinum/Nakaya, Sailor, Pilot, etc.), and all of them have had a lot more feedback than the F-C Masuyama nib. I'm really happy with it.

manoeuver
June 23rd, 2015, 10:46 AM
you got me.

Preordered one today. Went for the 18K MM needlepoint. Anticipation!!!!

reprieve
June 23rd, 2015, 11:09 AM
you got me.

Preordered one today. Went for the 18K MM needlepoint. Anticipation!!!!

Congrats! Let us know how you like the 18k needlepoint. Mine is the steel version, but I am thinking about getting a gold nib unit for another pen.

reprieve
June 23rd, 2015, 11:10 AM
Did anyone else see the maroon Mariettas that were posted in the F-C stockroom? They're sold out already, which is probably good for me because I wouldn't have been able to resist. Look how lovely it is in red:

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10453260/9850613_orig.jpg?464

migo984
June 23rd, 2015, 11:53 AM
Did anyone else see the maroon Mariettas that were posted in the F-C stockroom? They're sold out already, which is probably good for me because I wouldn't have been able to resist. Look how lovely it is in red:

http://www.franklin-christoph.com/uploads/1/0/4/5/10453260/9850613_orig.jpg?464

Beautiful!

Bogon07
June 24th, 2015, 10:58 PM
The Maroon version makes me think about old mantelpiece radios.

I sort of wish FC had put a thin orange or dark red band either the cap and barrel finials or just on the end of the grip before the threads.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/post-100486-0-19653000-1434729477.jpg

VertOlive
June 27th, 2015, 10:20 PM
I sort of wish FC had put a thin orange or dark red band either the cap and barrel finials or just on the end of the grip before the threads.
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/post-100486-0-19653000-1434729477.jpg

Oh, indeed!

migo984
June 27th, 2015, 11:14 PM

Oh, indeed!

I have to disagree. It's the sheer unadulterated simplicity of the pen that sets it apart from most other pens on the market. It looks kind of zen, compared to pens with coloured or metal bands & other twirly bits.

Bogon07
June 28th, 2015, 04:36 PM

Oh, indeed!

I have to disagree. It's the sheer unadulterated simplicity of the pen that sets it apart from most other pens on the market. It looks kind of zen, compared to pens with coloured or metal bands & other twirly bits.

Probably the reason I don't have 200 black pens.

manoeuver
June 28th, 2015, 04:51 PM

yet.

Bogon07
June 28th, 2015, 08:48 PM

yet.

Never

migo984
June 28th, 2015, 09:07 PM

Oh, indeed!

The beauty of the Model 20 I bought is the gorgeous translucent green colour. Far removed from black...... ☺️

nicholasyeo
June 28th, 2015, 09:22 PM
That's a beautiful pen! I have the Model 40 and 66 and I love the 66 a lot! This one has a really classic look...

migo984
June 29th, 2015, 09:52 PM
I've mentioned the aesthetics of the Model 20 - it has a real vintage look & feel. Here's a photo of my green Model 20 next to a black Esterbrook Dollar bandless model. These were made in the early 1940s (this one is circa 1942). I think both pens are classics of their time. And, despite there being around 70 years between them, they look almost contemporaneous in style.

pengeezer
July 12th, 2015, 09:06 AM

I'd be one to say no--I think the four diamonds and the English script "F" add class to their pens.

John

Rin Tin Pen
July 12th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Here (http://www.penaddict.com/blog/2015/7/10/franklin-christoph-model-20-marietta-in-vintage-green-a-review)is another review of the FC Model 20 in VG. More excellent photography included.

pengeezer
July 12th, 2015, 10:02 PM
Picked up at the Miami Pen Show a prototype color that I was told the will be put into production. It's a beautiful
dark cherry color w/black squiggles on it. Fell in love with it when I first saw it. Will post pics later.

John

pengeezer
July 13th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Here's the Model 20 I picked up with a Visconti Voyager Anniversary in Coral:

migo984
July 13th, 2015, 05:31 PM
That's another gorgeous FC #20. I covet it 😍

pengeezer
July 13th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Don't know what they will call it,but I think of it as black cherry.

John

reprieve
July 13th, 2015, 06:52 PM
That is such a good looking pen! Congrats. I really hope that color does make it to regular production. I already have (and love!) the green version, but I would buy the red and black in a heartbeat.

pengeezer
July 13th, 2015, 07:03 PM
After looking at what I wrote,I meant to say that I picked up both pens at the show. Got a great deal on
the Voyager--it's a plunger filler and a great writer w/a 14k nib.

John

pengeezer
July 14th, 2015, 05:52 AM
I should also mention that I presented to Jim Rouse the idea of F-C putting inlay in their pens similar
to what Chilton did with the Wingflow(as far as I know,no other pen company has done that since).
He told me that they presently have the ability to do just that and that he would present the idea
to the owner.

John

reprieve
July 14th, 2015, 06:32 AM
I should also mention that I presented to Jim Rouse the idea of F-C putting inlay in their pens similar
to what Chilton did with the Wingflow(as far as I know,no other pen company has done that since).
He told me that they presently have the ability to do just that and that he would present the idea
to the owner.

John

That's a great idea!

migo984
July 14th, 2015, 06:41 AM
to the owner.

John

I don't have a clue about Chilton pen inlays; could you elucidate?

pengeezer
July 14th, 2015, 10:21 AM
to the owner.

John

I don't have a clue about Chilton pen inlays; could you elucidate?

Here's a chart courtesy of Pen World:20200

John