PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Deep Magenta

Chrissy
June 19th, 2015, 02:50 AM
I have decided to review some of my inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is Diamine Deep Magenta. I would call this a bright Fuschia pink ink. My idea of deep magenta would be a darker shade than this. It looks much better in writing than in the cotton bud swabs I took.

I've always quite liked J Herbin Rose Cyclamen, and this is a similar colour. If the swabs are anything to go by Rose Cyclamen may be slightly more saturated. I remember De Atramentis Dianthus being very similar to this because I once had a sample, but sadly I don't have any left.

As usual for a Diamine ink, it's a well behaved, reasonably saturated ink. It doesn't show much shading. I found it flowed smoothly across the page, and had no problems with lubrication in the Waterman Phileas and Lamy Nexx M pens I used. Sorry, but for some reason they were both stub nibs. I made the mistake of filling 2 pens with similar nibs.

This ink exhibits slight showthrough but no bleedthrough on my Conqueror paper. My guess is that this would showthrough much more on cheaper paper.

Bearing in mind the paper I use is quite absorbent, and the nib used was a stub, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry. That's a long time on this paper
It flows through the pen well and lubricates the nib well.
I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and comparisons with other inks.
The water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink, but it seems quite resistant.
Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles, 30ml plastic refill bottles or cartridges.
It's a reasonable price

Laura N
June 19th, 2015, 05:58 AM
Chrissy, I'm not seeing the attachment?

reprieve
June 19th, 2015, 07:11 AM
I'm not seeing it either. But I'm eager to--I love pink inks and I haven't seen this one before.

Chrissy
June 19th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Sorry about that. I don't know what happened there.

I usually Preview before I post, and I thought it was there. Is it OK now?

Laura N
June 19th, 2015, 08:13 AM
Oh, I sure see it now. Vivid!

Chrissy
June 19th, 2015, 08:15 AM

It surely is. :dirol:

Laura N
June 19th, 2015, 08:58 AM

It surely is. :dirol:

Excellent emoticon. :cheer2:

Lady Onogaro
June 19th, 2015, 11:58 AM
I love that color. Thanks for posting this. I love your reviews, Chrissy.

Chrissy
June 19th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I love that color. Thanks for posting this. I love your reviews, Chrissy.

Aww thanks. You're welcome :)

reprieve
June 19th, 2015, 08:21 PM
I can see the attachment now. It's a lot brighter than I expected! Wow! I'm going to have to add a sample to my next ink order. This shade of pink is right up my alley!

migo984
June 19th, 2015, 09:17 PM
It's a very misnamed ink. Not "Deep" at all. I have a bottle & was very disappointed as it is far too bright, yet kind of washed out at the same time. One of the only inks that looks bad on Midori MD paper. A strange ink.

But mixed with a few drops of Shoreline Gold it makes a stunning plum shade.

klpeabody
June 20th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Another great review, Chrissy. This is a fantastic color, and I plan to sample this at my earliest opportunity.

naimitsu
June 20th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Wow, that's vibrant! It is definitely a color that will get noticed. It looks like it would be a good note taking color to highlight specific points to review later.

migo984
June 20th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Wow, that's vibrant! It is definitely a color that will get noticed. It looks like it would be a good note taking color to highlight specific points to review later.

Although vibrant initially Deep Magenta is notorious for fading very badly after a relatively short time. In fade tests it performs worst out of a number of inks in that colour range. It turns a very pale sludgy pinkey-orange (hard to describe!). That could be an issue if you want to use it to highlight for later review etc.

When used as a base in CMYK colour mixes it improves & stabilises somewhat.

naimitsu
June 20th, 2015, 10:36 AM

Although vibrant initially Deep Magenta is notorious for fading very badly after a relatively short time. In fade tests it performs worst out of a number of inks in that colour range. It turns a very pale sludgy pinkey-orange (hard to describe!). That could be an issue if you want to use it to highlight for later review etc.

Huh, good to know! Thanks for sharing :)

Morgaine
June 20th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Jolly :D I wonder how different it is to Bougainvillea (I got that as a free sample).

Chrissy
June 20th, 2015, 03:47 PM
I sorry but I don't currently have a sample of Bougainvillea to compare it with. I've also looked around on other reviews, and haven't found these 2 inks compared together either. :(

Chrissy
June 21st, 2015, 05:53 AM

My reviews always reflect my own personal experiences with inks, and I haven't done any fade tests on known non-permanent inks by leaving sheets of paper with fountain pen handwriting on them on my sunny windowsills. Almost all handwriting with non-permanent inks will fade if left on a sunny windowsill, so I can't see the point in testing for that.

There are various fade test results over on FPN. This one (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/240924-fade-test-a-few-purples/) that tested some purple inks specifically mentions Diamine Deep Magenta.

migo984
June 21st, 2015, 06:05 AM

My reviews always reflect my own personal experiences with inks, and I haven't done any fade tests on known non-permanent inks by leaving sheets of paper with fountain pen handwriting on them on my sunny windowsills. Almost all handwriting with non-permanent inks will fade if left on a sunny windowsill, so I can't see the point in testing for that.

There are various fade test results over on FPN. This one (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/240924-fade-test-a-few-purples/) that tested some purple inks specifically mentions Diamine Deep Magenta.

The point is that inks fade differentially, especially non-permanents. My fade tests weren't window-sill tests, but that kind can be informative. As people seemed interested in the vibrancy of this ink in particular I thought it was info some people might find useful, in additional to the routine stuff. Or not, as the case may be.

Neo
June 21st, 2015, 06:59 AM
Both of you are right. Fade tests are useful sometimes depending on where you used the ink. Work notes are not meant to be as permanent as journals.

migo984
June 21st, 2015, 03:15 PM
Both of you are right. Fade tests are useful sometimes depending on where you used the ink. Work notes are not meant to be as permanent as journals.

No big deal Neo. I happen to think that the more info about an ink, the better. But that's cos I was testing inks back when Methuselah was a lad 😉, and know there's much to learn other than just how it writes. ( I also use ink for things other than journals and work notes) . But if Chrissy thinks the additional information is pointless, then I'll refrain from adding. 😊

reprieve
June 21st, 2015, 05:15 PM
But if Chrissy thinks the additional information is pointless, then I'll refrain from adding. 😊

I don't know Chrissy, but my impression was that she was just explaining why she didn't find fade tests to be extremely relevant to her uses--and why she didn't feel it was necessary for her to perform those kinds of tests as part of her ink reviews. Other people, who use their pens and inks differently (artists, for example), may find that fade tests are very, very important to them.

I don't think you should refrain from contributing additional points of information. We all use our inks for different purposes, and we all have a different approach to ink reviewing. I like reviews that generate conversation. The more viewpoints, the merrier! :)

migo984
June 21st, 2015, 05:37 PM
But if Chrissy thinks the additional information is pointless, then I'll refrain from adding. 

I don't know Chrissy, but my impression was that she was just explaining why she didn't find fade tests to be extremely relevant to her uses--and why she didn't feel it was necessary for her to perform those kinds of tests as part of her ink reviews. Other people, who use their pens and inks differently (artists, for example), may find that fade tests are very, very important to them.

I don't think you should refrain from contributing additional points of information. We all use our inks for different purposes, and we all have a different approach to ink reviewing. I like reviews that generate conversation. The more viewpoints, the merrier! :)

Yes, I'm clear what was being said.