PDA

View Full Version : Affordable vintage and modern pens: $125 and under!

reprieve
June 20th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Here are some affordable pens for sale. No box or papers. All pens in this thread are sold as is. I tried my best to describe them accurately. Questions are welcome; I will consider serious offers and trades.

All prices include USPS priority shipping with tracking and insurance to any US address. Overseas shipping at cost, but will probably not be trackable. Payment via Paypal or, if I know you, check or money order.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/493/18800113980_4ccbcc9dac_z.jpg

Pictured at top:

1. Stipula Passaporto FPN edition. F nib. $45. SOLD

2. Vanishing Point nib units. No converter/cartridge cap.
Gold fine nib. $35. SOLD
Gold medium stub italic nib (0.6mm) done by Richard Binder. SOLD

Pictured in the tray from left to right:

3. Visconti Traveling Ink Pot. $40. SOLD

4. Vintage Diamond Point. F-M nib. $75 WITHDRAWN. I decided I can't part with this one.

5. Waterman 52. Medium nib. $100.
Waterman 52 lever filler in red ripple ebonite. The ebonite is on the brown side of red. Even coloring, no uneven fading. The silver trim has some pitting and wear but the rest of the pen is in excellent shape. The medium nib is soft and springy and has some nice line variation. An expressive writer but I'd call it semi-flex--it's not a wet noodle. Would make a nice user. More pics and writing sample below.

6. Waterman 52v. Factory stub nib. $110. SOLD

7. Sheaffer Snorkel. Fine nib. $55.
Black with silver cap. Has a gold fine triumph nib. Fills fine but the plunger is quite stiff and may need to be restored soon. Noticeable microscratches and scuffs from normal use but no major marks or blemishes. Could easily be polished up.

8. Vintage Montblanc piston filler from the 1960s. B stub nib. $70.
I think this is a #12. Snap cap. Striped ink window. Some brassing on the clip. The broad stub nib is awesome.
BUT there are some issues with this pen: the piston is very stiff. It fills but needs to be lubricated. It has some cracks and scratches in the plastic barrel near the piston knob. I don't know if they could be repaired. The pen doesn't leak and the cracks seem stable. Because of the cracks, it's cosmetically ugly, but it works and it writes--you're really buying this pen for its wonderful nib.

9. Lamy Logo in brushed steel. XF nib. $30. PIF'ed

10. TWSBI 530 clear. XF nib. $40. SOLD

11. TWSBI 530 orange. F nib. $35. SOLD

12. TWSBI 530 smoke. XF nib. $35. SOLD

13. Kaweco Liliput. M nib. $40. SOLD

14. #6 Franklin Christoph steel nib unit. XF. CLAIMED

15. 14k Sheaffer Imperial nib unit. M cursive bordering on crisp italic. $30.
I bought this from Peyton Street Pens. It was one of the early Pendleton grinds. It's way too sharp and unforgiving for me, but it has really crisp line variation. It writes nice if you like your italics crispy. Edited to add: this is a nib unit for a Sheaffer Imperial. I don't think it will work with any other pens.

fqgouvea
June 20th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Wow, some nice things there... Alas, no budget for them.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

reprieve
June 20th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I've had a few questions about the nib on the vintage Diamond Point. I updated the description, but: the nib is marked "Diamond Medal" and is 14k gold. It's pretty stiff, but it's a really nice writer. I won't be too torn up if it doesn't sell...

jadehawk
June 20th, 2015, 09:02 PM
PM sent.
Great selections..

reprieve
June 23rd, 2015, 07:20 AM
I decided to keep the Diamond Point. I just couldn't part with it. But there are some other nice pens still available...

reprieve
June 23rd, 2015, 05:04 PM
I just used the two Waterman pens listed for sale here to make a writing sample for the Mystery Ink thread and thought I'd post that here. The 52v is on hold (it's sold pending funds), but the full-sized 52 is still available.

I just filled it with a few drops of ink for the writing sample and then flushed it out. It expels liquid vigorously. I did notice that jostling the pen will get the nib inky but that's not uncommon with vintage lever fillers in my experience. It's a smooth writer with a nice amount of flex. Not a "wet noodle," but it can go from medium to BB or perhaps even BBB (I wouldn't push it further than that) and it snaps back nicely. This would be a great pen for someone who likes to draw--it has brushlike strokes. The trim wear and patina on the nib makes it a pen you won't be afraid to use.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/438/19092312802_31c77a628e_z.jpg

reprieve
June 30th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I reduced the prices on the remaining pens.

reprieve
August 14th, 2015, 11:18 AM
There are still some nice pens here....