PDA

View Full Version : Box o' ink

reprieve
June 20th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I have a big old box of inks that I'm never going to use. There are several bottles, several samples, all kinds of colors and different brands. It's enough ink to keep one person supplied for several years. I really don't want to mess with describing each little thing that's in the box and then packing up and sending out a bunch of individual bottles to a bunch of different people. I just want to put a ton of bubblewrap around it and send the whole damn box to somebody.

BUT

Here's the deal. I would like this to go to someone who will share it with other pen lovers. It should go to a member who has invested in this community (so if you've got zero posts to your name, welcome, but please don't apply for this; instead, join in some of our conversations and establish some connections here).

Basically, I want someone to help me redistribute the inky madness. Are you a teacher who hands out fountain pens to your students? Set up an ink station in your classroom. Are you a member of a pen club or pen posse? Have an inky meeting and test out all these inky things in this weird mystery box (and then post your results in the review forum! :)).

If you want this box o' inky goodness, post a description of how you plan to use and share the contents of the box with your local pen community. You may PM me if you wish, but I'd rather have each respondent post his or her entry here publicly. I'll pick the answer that appeals to me the most. Yes, it'll be subjective and it won't be random. But it will be chosen with hope and good will and a whole lot of excitement to get this ink clutter out of my house!

(Also, I should add that ideally the recipient will have a US mailing address. It is currently in a large USPS priority flat-rate box and that's how I'd like to send it. I fear overseas shipping would be way too expensive... but I might be flexible about this if you can put this ink to good use.)

Let's give this a week and see if there's any interest. Entries will close Sunday, June 28, at midnight eastern time.

rdcalhoon
June 20th, 2015, 05:59 PM
It occurs to me that this would be a great way to jumpstart a pen group here in Seattle Eastside.

I am starting a seed exchange here at the local Grange where people bring seeds to share and take away seeds to plant. We could do something similar, only with ink samples.

An ink exchange or ink library would be fun if enough people participated. Your box would be the draw to get things started.

Are there other Eastside/Seattle folks who would be interested? I am just north of Redmond and could arrange the Grange Hall as a meeting place.

Crazyorange
June 20th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I vote Laura in. She's been doing the MI series. Maybe there's some ink she could use for future MI?

Dreck
June 20th, 2015, 09:23 PM
As a matter of fact, I *do* pass out fountain pens to my students, and inks, too. This year, students who held an 'A' for the 1st semester received a fountain pen (most were delightfully unexpected PIF's from VO). I keep ink in my desk, so refills were not a problem. Those who carried that 'A' through to the end of the year got to choose a bottle of ink (expensive on a private school teacher's salary, but a worthy investment).
To avoid possible strife from two students wanting the same pen, I let them choose privately, in order of who had worked the hardest to earn their 'A'.

Should I be chosen to receive this box of inky goodness, I will continue to offer my 'A' students pens and ink. I like the "ink station" idea. They'll be able to test and see which one appeals to them before making a choice at end of term. I might even surprise one or two of my pen pals with samples. Rest assured, this ink would definitely get distributed.

Whether I am chosen or not, thank you for doing this excellent PIF, reprieve

Chrissy
June 21st, 2015, 05:39 AM
I would also like to add my vote that Laura should get the ink. :)

migo984
June 21st, 2015, 05:46 AM
It occurs to me that this would be a great way to jumpstart a pen group here in Seattle Eastside.

I am starting a seed exchange here at the local Grange where people bring seeds to share and take away seeds to plant. We could do something similar, only with ink samples.

An ink exchange or ink library would be fun if enough people participated. Your box would be the draw to get things started.

Are there other Eastside/Seattle folks who would be interested? I am just north of Redmond and could arrange the Grange Hall as a meeting place.

Love the idea of using the inks to get a new pen group started. Going to the London Pen Geeks meetings is so much fun; I've made good friends there, and learnt so much from them. Pen groups are one of the best ways to share the love of fountain pens & all things inky. 😊

southpaw52
June 22nd, 2015, 01:59 PM
My vote is for Laura too.

sgtstretch
June 22nd, 2015, 02:17 PM
My vote is for Laura too.

Mine too!

kernando
June 24th, 2015, 03:55 AM
I'd be able to get people to cross bridges to make a posse, at dinnertime.

Chrissy
June 24th, 2015, 09:58 AM
I've had a few more ideas about what the ink in this box could be used for. Whatever Laura doesn't want could be sorted out and PIF'd to users on here who want it.

naimitsu
June 24th, 2015, 01:09 PM
I've had a few more ideas about what the ink in this box could be used for. Whatever Laura doesn't want could be sorted out and PIF'd to users on here who want it.

That's a fantastic idea, Chrissy!

reprieve
June 24th, 2015, 08:08 PM
There are some great ideas here. Thanks, everyone! And keep them coming! There's still four more days to put in an entry. :)

RayCornett
June 24th, 2015, 11:56 PM
I would send samples of as many of the inks as possible to those I see who enter ink PIFS because they are just starting out and have little to no inks as of yet but did not win the PIF they entered. I would not tell them I am doing this until the PIF is over when I message them for their address. I also do plan on starting a local pen Posse in the near future as the closest is about an hour away and considering I live in such a big major city, it's a shame there is not one here.

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2015, 12:29 AM
Oh, hell, Laura would probably just spill some of the ink on the hockey ice.

Hey, wait, that might make it interesting for me! GIVE THE BOX TO LAURA FOR MYSTERY INK PROJECTS!!

reprieve
June 29th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Thank you all for each of your entries. There are some wonderful ideas here about how to foster camaraderie and community with pens and inks. :)

I've decided to split up the box o' inky goodness.

Most of it will go to Dreck for his students. I love the idea of getting young people interested in our hobby. Motivating and rewarding them with fountain pens in the classroom is such a good idea, and setting up some sort of an ink station just sounds really awesome!

There were a few bottles of Noodler's and Private Reserve in the box, and I'd like to send those to Chrissy, who will help redistribute samples to pen folks overseas where these particular ink brands are a lot harder to come by.

VertOlive
June 29th, 2015, 10:46 AM
As a matter of fact, I *do* pass out fountain pens to my students, and inks, too. This year, students who held an 'A' for the 1st semester received a fountain pen (most were delightfully unexpected PIF's from VO). I keep ink in my desk, so refills were not a problem. Those who carried that 'A' through to the end of the year got to choose a bottle of ink (expensive on a private school teacher's salary, but a worthy investment).
To avoid possible strife from two students wanting the same pen, I let them choose privately, in order of who had worked the hardest to earn their 'A'.

Should I be chosen to receive this box of inky goodness, I will continue to offer my 'A' students pens and ink. I like the "ink station" idea. They'll be able to test and see which one appeals to them before making a choice at end of term. I might even surprise one or two of my pen pals with samples. Rest assured, this ink would definitely get distributed.

Whether I am chosen or not, thank you for doing this excellent PIF, reprieve

Well, if we're voting here's an idea: send a few to Laura and a few to Dreck. They're both reliable Ink Spigots!

Scrawler
June 29th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Oh Inky goodness ... nice. (not an entry)

Lady Onogaro
June 29th, 2015, 07:30 PM
I'm for splitting them between Laura and Dreck.

Quantum Sailor
June 29th, 2015, 09:53 PM
I vote for it to go to Laura as well. She is very generous in passing out ink samples.

rdcalhoon
June 30th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Thanks for spreading inky goodness. I agree that the ink station idea is a great way to introduce young folks to fountain pens.

Laura N
July 2nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Thank you to reprieve for this generous giveaway, and to everyone who thought of me. I didn't even look at this PIF, being mesmerized by the Parker 51 cap below. I am grateful that people would think of me, and touched to read so many kind words. I received my bottles yesterday, so watch for future Mystery Inks. :)