PDA

View Full Version : Ink Review: Diamine Flowers Gift Set: Carnation

Chrissy
June 21st, 2015, 11:01 AM
I have decided to review some of my inks. These aren't necessarily in any particular order.

This one is Diamine Carnation from the Flowers Gift Set. I think it's well named as the ink is certainly a close copy of what I would call carnation pink. Some might call this baby pink.

It's an unusual pale pink colour, and I found I didn't have anything similar to compare it with which was a shame. J Herbin Rouge Bourgogne was much too dark.

Despite the fact that I had this ink in these 2 pens for several days before doing this review, some users might wonder if it looks like a watered down red ink. In fact it really doesn't write like a watered down ink.

As usual for a Diamine ink, it's a well behaved ink with reasonable saturation. It shows some shading. I found it flowed smoothly across the page, and had no problems with lubrication in the 2 Lamy Nexx M pens I used.

This ink exhibits no showthrough and no bleedthrough on my Xerox ColorPrint paper. That's not surprising as it's quite a pale colour. If you're looking for a pale pink ink, it might be worth trying out a sample.

It flows through the pen well and lubricates the nib well. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests and changed over uncapped pens.
Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny surface, and the nibs used were a M and a stub, this ink took 16-18 secs to dry. That's quite normal on this paper.
The water test on the review form shows this isn't a waterproof ink.
It is currently available in the gift set of 10 x 30ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic refill bottles.
Diamine (http://www.diamineinks.co.uk/) sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.
It's a reasonable price

Laura N
June 21st, 2015, 11:45 AM
This looks absolutely lovely.

I adore the shading I'm seeing. Is that more noticeable on the image than in real life?

Chrissy
June 21st, 2015, 03:43 PM
This looks absolutely lovely.

I adore the shading I'm seeing. Is that more noticeable on the image than in real life?

Actually I can see it on the actual sheet. Maybe when I put 'slight' for shading, I was harsh. 'Some' would be more appropriate

reprieve
June 21st, 2015, 05:21 PM
I love this ink! I think it shades really well. Depending on the nib, it has borderline too much shading for my tastes. The interesting thing is that it's not a usual "pink"--I adore bright, cheerful ink colors and so I have a lot of different pinks, but none of them really compare to Carnation. Laura, I'll send you a sample so you can see. It's just a cool ink. I think it's one of the best from the Flowers set, just behind Burgundy Rose.

Chrissy
June 21st, 2015, 05:26 PM
I love this ink! I think it shades really well. Depending on the nib, it has borderline too much shading for my tastes. The interesting thing is that it's not a usual "pink"--I adore bright, cheerful ink colors and so I have a lot of different pinks, but none of them really compare to Carnation. Laura, I'll send you a sample so you can see. It's just a cool ink. I think it's one of the best from the Flowers set, just behind Burgundy Rose.

Carnation was a quite unexpected pale pink ink shade when I started writing with it.

Burgundy Rose is my favourite of the flowers gift set.

reprieve
June 22nd, 2015, 07:15 AM
Burgundy Rose is my favourite of the flowers gift set.

How funny, I was just telling someone that exact thing! Before I read your post. :) Burgundy Rose is the perfect red ink for me.

Laura N
July 12th, 2015, 03:36 PM
I just want to chime in, now having tried Carnation. I love it, as does my pink-loving daughter. Chrissy captures it perfectly as a "pure pink." It's just nice. Also perfectly legible. I don't use this color ink much, but I want to, now. It makes me want to write thank-you notes or something.

VertOlive
July 12th, 2015, 07:56 PM
Can anyone comment on how this compares to Iroshizuku Kosumosu? It seems similar to my eye, but I'm reading this on a Kindle

Chrissy
July 13th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Can anyone comment on how this compares to Iroshizuku Kosumosu? It seems similar to my eye, but I'm reading this on a Kindle

I'm sorry but that's one I don't have. My range of pink inks isn't big, but the ones I have are bright pinks rather than this soft pure pink. That is the reason I wasn't able to do any comparisons on the review form

Laura N
July 13th, 2015, 05:35 AM

I don't own Kosumosu any more, and can't swab them, but I can compare a writing sample. The pink hue differs, though I agree on a computer screen it's hard to tell. Carnation is cooler, while Kosumosu is warmer. Carnation is softer, and Kosumosu is brighter.

When you put Carnation and Kosumosu next to each other, Carnation looks more purple and Kosumosu looks more orange. But when you look at them in isolation, Carnation isn't really a purple pink -- it looks like Chrissy says: "a soft pure pink." Nor is Kosumosu really an orange pink; I remember when we did MI8 (Rouge Caroubier) I thought Kosumosu might be similar, but when I compared it, Kosumosu is more pink.