PDA

View Full Version : Repairing crack in section?

Sailor Kenshin
June 22nd, 2015, 11:33 AM
I have a user-grade Sheaffer pen that seems to have a vertical crack in the section riiight about where my index finger goes (which is how I found it...Diamine Soft Mint, if you must know).

Can such a crack be repaired so the pen no linger leaks ink onto my index finger? And would regular old epoxy do the job, or is there something better?

Thanks. Not a valuable pen, just one I like and want to use without the inky finger.

mhosea
June 22nd, 2015, 11:44 AM
I'm told that section crack repair when the nib is friction-fit is problematic to the point of replacement being standard advice. But it would be better to hear from someone who has done it:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/277134-sheaffer-balance-section-crack-repairable/?p=3165773

Cob
June 22nd, 2015, 11:49 AM
I have a user-grade Sheaffer pen that seems to have a vertical crack in the section riiight about where my index finger goes (which is how I found it...Diamine Soft Mint, if you must know).

Can such a crack be repaired so the pen no linger leaks ink onto my index finger? And would regular old epoxy do the job, or is there something better?

Thanks. Not a valuable pen, just one I like and want to use without the inky finger.

The answer to this one depends largely on the material from which the section is made. I have a Swan Safety Pen from about 1918 that had a cracked (BHR) section. I have repaired it with Devcon (epoxy); successfully; not pretty but no more inky fingers. I have also repaired a Lamy; this was a problem because I did not have a suitable solvent - acetone would not touch the material. In the end I welded it with Liquid Weld and polished it; this was also successful.

Are you able to say what material your section is made from?

Cob

Sailor Kenshin
June 22nd, 2015, 12:02 PM

The answer to this one depends largely on the material from which the section is made. I have a Swan Safety Pen from about 1918 that had a cracked (BHR) section. I have repaired it with Devcon (epoxy); successfully; not pretty but no more inky fingers. I have also repaired a Lamy; this was a problem because I did not have a suitable solvent - acetone would not touch the material. In the end I welded it with Liquid Weld and polished it; this was also successful.

Are you able to say what material your section is made from?

Cob

Since the pen was a gift, not with certainty. But probably some sort of plastic.

D Armstrong
June 22nd, 2015, 01:01 PM
This one is a hard fix, for several reasons.

As was mentioned, hard rubber can be resistant to gluing, depending on how old the crack is. Epoxy is a good choice, especially if it is a plain old user-grade pen. However, another thing to think about is that ordinary off-the-shelf epoxies can degrade over time when in contact with water (which is what ink mostly is). The same goes with the "crazy glue" family of adhesives. To get good, long-term water resistance, you will need a higher-end epoxy, like G2 (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20011&cat=1,110,42965&ap=1).

Another difficulty has to do with the fact that the feed must be a tight fit when the crack fixed. If any glue has wicked down into the channel, you could end up with another crack because of the extra pressure. And, if there is any air leakage, you could end up with a drippy nib. One good thing about G2 epoxy is that it is thin enough to work into small cracks, but thick enough to pretty much stay where you want it. And it mixes well with artist's pigments if you need to color it (i.e.: black).

There are a few things that instantly seriously call into question a pen's viability: a cracked nib, and a cracked section are about the most serious. But at least you have nothing to lose! If you post a photo, someone may have a spare section around, too. Which would be the best solution of all.

Sailor Kenshin
June 22nd, 2015, 01:22 PM
It's not hard-rubber.

Pretty sure it's plastic, and not worth much. Just a pen I like. So it seems as if I might take a chance on the epoxy?

Cob
June 22nd, 2015, 01:51 PM
It's not hard-rubber.

Pretty sure it's plastic, and not worth much. Just a pen I like. So it seems as if I might take a chance on the epoxy?

If it is some sort of plastics a cyanoacrylate might work. If it were my pen, I would use a liquid version and remove the nib and feed first and use a gentle taper to spread the crack very slightly to allow penetration. The liquid super-glue that I have is incredibly volatile; I successfully repaired a Swan Visofil ink chamber (cracked all over as usual) with this stuff and the chamber was pressure tested - and soak tested for two days - afterwards and was 100%.

Cob

moneypenny
June 22nd, 2015, 06:40 PM
You might contact Sean Nicholson at Write on Time to see if he can help you.

Farmboy
June 22nd, 2015, 11:18 PM
What is the pen. Many Sheaffer sections are a plentiful commodity and I'd bet finding one is relatively easy.

Sailor Kenshin
June 23rd, 2015, 07:21 AM
What is the pen. Many Sheaffer sections are a plentiful commodity and I'd bet finding one is relatively easy.

Again...not sure, it was a gift. And finding one probably won't be easy. It's a Triumph-style nib.

AltecGreen
June 23rd, 2015, 09:02 AM

Again...not sure, it was a gift. And finding one probably won't be easy. It's a Triumph-style nib.

It is not as hard as you think. It would help if you describe exactly what pen it is.

There is an interesting disconnect. I know Farmboy speaks the truth about parts availability because I have seen the parts he has and other have. The difficulty for those on forums is that you cannot just click buy it on an online site. You have to ask around and do things the old fashioned way. So in a way this is a barrier.

Sailor Kenshin
June 23rd, 2015, 10:03 AM

It is not as hard as you think. It would help if you describe exactly what pen it is.

There is an interesting disconnect. I know Farmboy speaks the truth about parts availability because I have seen the parts he has and other have. The difficulty for those on forums is that you cannot just click buy it on an online site. You have to ask around and do things the old fashioned way. So in a way this is a barrier.

I appreciate the help...but I don't know what pen it is. It fills with a cart, though, and I have washed the entire pen and will now let it dry for a lonnnnng time before attempting any repair.

Wahl
June 23rd, 2015, 10:28 AM
A couple of pics would help identify the pen !

Scrawler
June 26th, 2015, 09:10 AM
This works: http://www.captaintolley.com/

I have used it on a number of pen sections. It may be more difficult on a Triumph nib section, because you do need to remove the nib and feed and fill the resulting hole, before applying the stuff. When I did mine I filled the feed hole with a piece of metal bar smeared with silicon grease to stop the fluid filling the hole. In my experience two applications are needed. You put a drop on and let it cure, then add another drop.