PDA

View Full Version : dave741=david1600?

fountainpenkid
June 23rd, 2015, 07:26 AM
I have a hunch that this is the case based on the wording, prices, and pictures this member is using in their sales on this site. Also, as evidenced by a recent paypal request, they have the same name. If by pure miraculous coincidence this is not the case, it would be great to hear from this member, as david1600 was known to be a deceptive seller (see here: http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2304-What-Would-You-Do).

Thanks,

Susan3141
June 23rd, 2015, 08:55 AM
Oh, good grief. I may just avoid buying pens from anyone with the user name "David####"

fountainpenkid
June 23rd, 2015, 02:30 PM
From a source who wishes to remain anonymous:
"Yes. It is the same person.

I'll pass this along, but you didn't hear it from me. I've been in some discussion with someone at FPN. I didn't buy a pen from him but I almost did...something felt fishy. But I did notice he was selling too much on FPN so I reported him.

dave741 = david1600 = crazypen80

Nuts88 uses some of the same IP addresses, as well. He says it's a cousin, and he borrowed his account. I think FPN has removed his ability to sell, and may be banning him outright.

Supposedly he has several other accounts that have been discovered and shut down.

Again, you didn't hear this from me. If you want to pass it along feel free to say you've compared items and pictures across several sites and figured it out yourself. "

Sailor Kenshin
June 24th, 2015, 08:31 AM
For now...put on Ignore?

Neo
June 24th, 2015, 10:08 AM
For now...put on Ignore?

I've him on the ignore list for at least the last six months...

Lady Onogaro
June 24th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Has anyone tried reporting him to Eric? He bumped some sale posts this morning.

fountainpenkid
June 24th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Here's a p.m he just sent me in defense; judge for yourself:
"Truth to be told I have no idea what should I write, maybe you could tell me? I am member of this forum since 2014, it's true that I mostly sell pens but I had never problems with any pens which i have sold here and you're linking me to another seller - destroying my reputation here. Have I done sth to you that you do so? Do you have any hard evidence other than similar name - I believe you point it out. I am pen collector for about 8 yrs, I do have many pens, I have added them on sale using old topics on forums, didn't know it will start witchhunt after sometime. I do have account on fpn, but is it a crime? Don't know this david1600 guy you linked me into, so maybe you explain me what kind of response you want?"
I have direct proof that he is connected (same name on paypal invoice, same location), so his futile attempt to cry ignorance is the nail in the coffin for me...

carlc
June 24th, 2015, 04:37 PM
There's also the use of the 'sth' contraction which I have never seen except in posts by david1600.

jar
June 24th, 2015, 05:01 PM
There's also the use of the 'sth' contraction which I have never seen except in posts by david1600.

I thought a sth contractions was Tatoo the Sith.

The Death Star, the Death Star ...

tandaina
June 24th, 2015, 05:23 PM
I was wondering what in heaven's name sth meant. Tatoo and Sith makes utter sense and marks this one as a member of the dark side. Lord Vader why can't you keep him in hand then?

mhosea
June 24th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I had to look it up! Apparently it means "something", which means we can now commence with a version of "Who's on first."

"STH" means "something".

What does it mean?

Something.

I know it means something, but what?

Yes? I'm not sure what you're asking.

I'm asking what "STH" means.

I told you, it means "something".

Aren't you going to tell me what it means?

I just did.

No you didn't. You just said it means something.

Yes, that's right.

... and so forth and so on.

Cob
June 25th, 2015, 01:44 AM

I thought a sth contractions was Tatoo the Sith.

The Death Star, the Death Star ...

By coincidence, at the time that film was released, there was a cartoon in the English satirical magazine Private Eye, showing a couple leaving the cinema showing I think, "Return of the Sith"

One said to the other: "Well that was a load of Sith!"

Quite appropriate one way and the other.

Cob

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2015, 02:09 AM
Where is Dan when you need him?

Farmboy
June 25th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Where is Dan when you need him?

Iowa?

c_fu
June 25th, 2015, 03:00 PM
hmm... wish i had known before buying, we'll see how it goes after my pen arrives.

carlc
June 25th, 2015, 03:05 PM
hmm... wish i had known before buying, we'll see how it goes after my pen arrives.

I hope you used PayPal. That offers at least some form of redress if required.

Having said that I seem to remember there have been some satisfied customers.

c_fu
June 25th, 2015, 03:59 PM
yep paypal

c_fu
June 28th, 2015, 11:35 AM
well i bought this pen (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/12271-Montblanc-146?p=134252#post134252) and turns out that there is a lot left out in the description just like the rest of the people that posted. when i just opened the pen there was ink all over the rear of the pen. trying to fill the pen i discovered that ink was gushing out from the rear of the pen. after closely looking at the piston , looks like there is dried ink all over the piston threads. hmm... seems like ink is behind the piston and prob has been there for a while since the brass looks all tarnished. i wrote back to dave to see if he'll help with some of the cost to get it fixed.

oldstoat
June 28th, 2015, 11:41 AM
Good luck with that.

Cob
June 28th, 2015, 11:45 AM
well i bought this pen (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/12271-Montblanc-146?p=134252#post134252) and turns out that there is a lot left out in the description just like the rest of the people that posted. when i just opened the pen there was ink all over the rear of the pen. trying to fill the pen i discovered that ink was gushing out from the rear of the pen. after closely looking at the piston , looks like there is dried ink all over the piston threads. hmm... seems like ink is behind the piston and prob has been there for a while since the brass looks all tarnished. i wrote back to dave to see if he'll help with some of the cost to get it fixed.

If the pen was sold as being in working order (clearly not in verz (sic) good condition) then he bears the full cost of the repair or gives you a full refund.

That's the correct way to do business.

Cob

Susan3141
June 28th, 2015, 12:52 PM

If the pen was sold as being in working order (clearly not in verz (sic) good condition) then he bears the full cost of the repair or gives you a full refund.

Cob

Unfortunately, if this is the man I dealt with, he doesn't do business "the correct way." I suspect he will first try to tell c-fu that it is somehow his (the buyer's) fault. That's the pattern.

Good luck.

Susan

jar
June 28th, 2015, 01:25 PM

If you paid with PayPal file an immediate claim and document everything with a copy of the original listing and pictures of what was received.

c_fu
June 28th, 2015, 01:41 PM

Cob

Unfortunately, if this is the man I dealt with, he doesn't do business "the correct way." I suspect he will first try to tell c-fu that it is somehow his (the buyer's) fault. That's the pattern.

Good luck.

Susan

Thanks susan, how did your situation turn out? did he ever refund you the repair costs?

c_fu
June 28th, 2015, 01:42 PM

If you paid with PayPal file an immediate claim and document everything with a copy of the original listing and pictures of what was received.

thanks jar, documenting it now.

Special K
June 28th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Test

Susan3141
June 28th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Eventually he paid the repair costs, but only after a very lengthy discussion on my thread and pressure from moderators here, and I think on FPN. Then he wanted me to delete the thread. I didn't. Because of all the negative associations with that pen purchase, I eventually sold the (repaired) pen to someone else. When you have a bad buying experience, it's hard to avoid associating the pen with the disreputable seller and the feelings of betrayal.

c_fu
July 1st, 2015, 03:14 PM
Eventually he paid the repair costs, but only after a very lengthy discussion on my thread and pressure from moderators here, and I think on FPN. Then he wanted me to delete the thread. I didn't. Because of all the negative associations with that pen purchase, I eventually sold the (repaired) pen to someone else. When you have a bad buying experience, it's hard to avoid associating the pen with the disreputable seller and the feelings of betrayal.

He paid me the repair cost for Montblanc to do service. away to hamburg now... ETA for fix is atleast 6 weeks... but at least it turned out better then i expected...

jar
August 13th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Bump as a Public Service

Fawkes
August 14th, 2015, 05:41 PM
out of curiosity, is this dave741 a Dawid from Austria under the name of limt now on FPN? I just bought a Montblanc from the seller yesterday and I have now noticed the Montblanc 146s he has have identical listings to some from dave741 and nuts88 from a while ago. I went for the 104 he had for sale and am now a little worried I am going to end up with a problematic pen.

I don't like the idea of having to ask such a question on the forum, but I want to make sure.

Fawkes
August 14th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Well crap. "limt" on FPN and dave741 & david1600 and nuts88 are all the same people. I went through some of my emails from a few months ago with dave741 and everything is identical; the names, wordings, pics and stories about the pens. The paypal emails are different but the seller names and locations are identical. Wish I had noticed that before I bought the pen, rather than after seeing this thread and becoming suspicious.

I really hope I won't get burned on this.

Graphemer
August 16th, 2015, 06:06 AM
Oh dear! Bought an Aurora 88p listed in the FPN classifieds from "limt" last Sunday. Everything seemed kosher: he had extra photos, which included the serial number, etc. so I paid via PayPal and gave him some time to ship. Nothing. Wrote yesterday to ask if there's an issue. Nothing. Should I lodge a Paypal dispute/claim?

Sighs.

jar
August 16th, 2015, 06:39 AM
Oh dear! Bought an Aurora 88p listed in the FPN classifieds from "limt" last Sunday. Everything seemed kosher: he had extra photos, which included the serial number, etc. so I paid via PayPal and gave him some time to ship. Nothing. Wrote yesterday to ask if there's an issue. Nothing. Should I lodge a Paypal dispute/claim?

Sighs.

Yes.

Graphemer
August 16th, 2015, 06:52 AM

Sighs.

Yes.

Done. And thanks again to everyone who brought this to my attention. I'm sure you've all just saved me a huge headache!

Sailor Kenshin
August 16th, 2015, 08:50 AM
He seems to keep popping up on FPN under any number of aliases.

Fawkes
August 16th, 2015, 09:17 AM

Sighs.

I sent him a message a couple of days ago asking for tracking info when he ships the pen. Said he is out of town and will ship on Monday or Tuesday this week, so I guess I'll wait and see. Hopefully, you hear from him about your Aurora.

Graphemer
August 16th, 2015, 06:06 PM

Sighs.

I sent him a message a couple of days ago asking for tracking info when he ships the pen. Said he is out of town and will ship on Monday or Tuesday this week, so I guess I'll wait and see. Hopefully, you hear from him about your Aurora.

A quick update on my end: Limt has responded to me, saying the pen has been shipped out (last Tuesday, so two days after receiving payment), and will send me tracking information sometime today. The delay in correspondence was due to travel, which he had told me about. I also corresponded with Wim of FPN fame about the matter; Wim is convinced (or as certain as possible) that limt is not David1600 . I'll update again -- hopefully with good news, and an 'all's well that ends well' sentiment -- when it's time. Finger's crossed! In the meantime, let me say thanks to everyone here for sharing information, and (assuming everything works out) my apologies to limt for jumping the gun. A bit more patience and discernment on my end would have helped everyone, I think.

Graphemer
August 27th, 2015, 01:30 AM
A quick update on my end: Limt has responded to me, saying the pen has been shipped out (last Tuesday, so two days after receiving payment), and will send me tracking information sometime today. The delay in correspondence was due to travel, which he had told me about. I also corresponded with Wim of FPN fame about the matter; Wim is convinced (or as certain as possible) that limt is not David1600 . I'll update again -- hopefully with good news, and an 'all's well that ends well' sentiment -- when it's time. Finger's crossed! In the meantime, let me say thanks to everyone here for sharing information, and (assuming everything works out) my apologies to limt for jumping the gun. A bit more patience and discernment on my end would have helped everyone, I think.

As promised, here's a follow-up on my experience: The pen arrived the other day (within two weeks of purchase). It was well packaged, and "within parameters" of the original advertisement's description: the pen works as described though I would quibble with its cosmetic description. Still I think the price we agreed to is (on the high side of) fair. Overall, then, I'm pleased with my new acquisition. After the storm and stress, a happy ending for me.

Fawkes, how did your transaction go?