PDA

View Full Version : What would be a fair price to ask for a used Optima Mare nib ?

lowks
June 24th, 2015, 06:06 AM
I have an Aurora Optima Mare with a medium nib. I always wanted to use this pen with a Oblique Medium nib and plan to order one from nibs.com. Not wanting the old nib to sit around I want to sell it off. My question is what would a fair market value be for that nib. The pen has been used less than 5 times in it's life time.

naimitsu
June 24th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Any reason why you wouldn't have them grind your existing M to a OM? Or even another grind? That way you don't have a spare nib laying around!

lowks
June 24th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Any reason why you wouldn't have them grind your existing M to a OM? Or even another grind? That way you don't have a spare nib laying around!

Question: would a M nib be able to be made into OM? I thought you needed at least B for that?

dave741
June 24th, 2015, 09:24 AM
I believe that price for the new one is around 270-300 usd (brand new from dealer), so probably used in near mint condition should be around 140 usd Considering that you can buy used pen for around 220 usd, I would take under consideration gridding it to OF.

lowks
June 24th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Anyone have experience with OF ? Would you be able to see any difference in doing that ?

dave741
June 24th, 2015, 10:08 AM
I had used such nib for some time it was factory do u fold and can tell you it was very pleasant to use. Aurora nibs modern ones are quite stiff, you can feel the tooth in it so I believe it might be the same. Unfortunately I don't have any writing samples to post since I am not longer owner of this pen

Laura N
June 24th, 2015, 10:27 AM
I believe that price for the new one is around 270-300 usd (brand new from dealer), so probably used in near mint condition should be around 140 usd Considering that you can buy used pen for around 220 usd, I would take under consideration gridding it to OF.

He's talking about the Aurora Optima Mare. That's a very low estimate/offer.

OP be careful here. Look at eBay sold listings for your particular pen, which is a limited edition.

dave741
June 24th, 2015, 11:05 AM
He was talking about selling the nib only, you don't have to buy optima mare and pay extra to have the same nib a in regular optima which used costs about 220 usd and nib price used one is about 50 % of dealers price, so it would be good to buy used pen and swap nibs or grind it to of

Laura N
June 24th, 2015, 11:44 AM
He was talking about selling the nib only, you don't have to buy optima mare and pay extra to have the same nib a in regular optima which used costs about 220 usd and nib price used one is about 50 % of dealers price, so it would be good to buy used pen and swap nibs or grind it to of

I know what he was talking about. You started the discussion of Optima prices. The fact remains that on US eBay the price you are quoting ($220) is the very low-end for a regular Optima without box or papers. It is not close to even the low-end rate for his pen, which is a limited edition Mare. My post was made so that readers are not confused into thinking that the Mare goes for $220.

dave741
June 24th, 2015, 12:57 PM
fair point, my price assesment was made on forum prices rather than ebay, ue to this is so low.

naimitsu
June 24th, 2015, 01:00 PM

Question: would a M nib be able to be made into OM? I thought you needed at least B for that?

I'm just a plebeian when it comes to nib grinding, but I figure it wouldn't hurt to put it out there.
Are you looking for the OM for line variation (as in an Oblique Stub or Oblique Italic) or simply an oblique medium (as in the tip is still rounded, producing no line variation, but makes it easier to find the sweet spot for those who rotate the pen)? From RichardsPens.com, it sounds like both ways are done.

If you haven't already, I'd ask the folks at Nibs.com whether they need a B to grind down to a OM, or if they do it with a stock M.

Giovanni Abrate
June 24th, 2015, 05:28 PM
An 18K gold nib these days will cost between 170 and 200 dollars wholesale. The price of gold nibs has become incredibly expensive.

lowks
June 24th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I have contacted nibs.com and they say that they can shape an OM nib out of M for 55. Thanks everyone!

dave741
June 25th, 2015, 04:35 AM
great to hear, please add photos when you get it :)