PDA

View Full Version : Mokume-gane

dougscott
June 24th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Mokume-gane is a method of fusing metals developed in 17th century Japan. This piece is a twisted form of copper, bronze, and nickel silver, creating a gorgeous grain. I have used a satin finish to highlight the different metals in the body of the pen while using a highly polished nickel silver for the center band, section, and clip for visual contrast. This pen is weighty in the hand and captivating for the eye.

naimitsu
June 24th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Wow, that's very eye-catching. Definitely loving the grain pattern and the overall shape of the pen. The only thing I would change would be the nib. My brain wants to put a rose gold two tone nib on it, but that's just me! It's still a beautiful pen!

Would it be safe to assume that you made this?

EDIT: Just noticed that this is in the Pen Making board! Pardon my lapse in observation. I merely clicked on the link from the list of new posts and didn't pay attention to where it took me ;)

Bogon07
June 24th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Totally fascinating, very elegant a subtle colouring, a nice looking pen.
Did you patinate it ?

There a lot of rings made with this technique.
The range of patterns is amazing too.
http://www.absolutetitanium.com/atd-mokumegane.php

dougscott
June 24th, 2015, 05:58 PM
The only thing I would change would be the nib. My brain wants to put a rose gold two tone nib on it, but that's just me! It's still a beautiful pen!

Thanks! I think of the nib as a place holder -- whoever buys it will determine if they want a nib in broad, medium, or fine and if they want to spend extra for a nib in precious metal.

dougscott
June 24th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Did you [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]patinate it ?

Thank you! No -- it will acquire a patina in time, tho, which will highlight the grain further.

Rich L
June 29th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Beautiful pen, Doug!