PDA

View Full Version : Discolored Omas Paragon Arco?

Susan3141
June 29th, 2015, 01:13 PM
I just received an Omas Paragon Arco. It's a 2002 model.

My question is this: I thought the beautiful glowing wood-like colors were supposed to go all around the pen. On this pen there are two sides that exhibit the glowing, beautiful gold and brown colors, and two sides that are dark brown striped. Did I get a discolored Arco? Or is this normal? It's hard to show the dramatic difference in the colors in the photos, but hopefully you can see what I mean. Now, if I don't put the cap on just perfectly, nothing lines up. I am not happy with the coloration, because I expected it to be consistent all around the pen. I need to know if this is acceptable for Arcos or if I should send the pen back.

Here's what I expected the entire pen to look like:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/262/18650675064_fe8e02e0d0_z_d.jpg

Here's what two sides of the pen look like (dark brown stripes, no gold anything):

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/549/19273141485_1190a6e55a_z_d.jpg

A close up of the dark brown striped portion:

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/439/19273142355_8cc14f97e3_z_d.jpg

Here you can see the dark brown stripes and on the edge the gold. There's no gradual movement from one color to the next. It's like I've got two sides with the golden Arco look and two sides that are pinstripe brown.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/257/19247070696_364c80dedc_z_d.jpg

Thanks. If this is normal for Arcos, that's fine. I just thought the beautiful golden color was supposed to go all around the pen consistently.

Susan

manoeuver
June 29th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I do believe the shiny effervescent effect doesn't happen 360 degrees around the pen. I've seen it in person and it wasn't shiny like that all the way around.

still a fantastic material. others will chime in with good info soon.

tandaina
June 29th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Yeah the shiny is only where the "flat" of the folds are visible I believe. So where you aren't seeing the flat, but rather to side on the material it won't be all sparkly/glowing. And I'm jealous. :(

jar
June 29th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Totally normal.

Susan3141
June 29th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Okay. That's what everyone has been saying. I'll chill now. Thanks!

jar
June 29th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Okay. That's what everyone has been saying. I'll chill now. Thanks!

Think about slicing onions. One way you get rings; the other way you get what you see there.

jouesdeveau
June 29th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Normal-- and beautiful!

reprieve
June 29th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Mine looks exactly like that. It's a stunning pen. The cap on mine is a bit finicky also--you do have to put it on just right to get the facets and the striations in the celluloid to all line up properly. It looks like you have a normal Omas!

Bogon07
June 29th, 2015, 04:44 PM
My Ogiva in Arco brown has the same effect and it has a round body.
I suspect it is due to the way they make the "celluloide" by building up layers.

The Visconti Wallstreets are similar in having a light and dark side of the barrel.

whichwatch
June 29th, 2015, 04:51 PM
As others have said, what you see is completely normal.

Omas cap threads have multiple start points and not all will result in the grain pattern lining up. If the result is not aligned when you start with the clip aligned with the "colorful" side, try rotating 90 degrees for the next start. You will soon learn how to align the cap before threading so when you finish you get alignment.

Special K
June 29th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Test

carlc
June 30th, 2015, 02:03 AM
Looks like we're off to the races again.

Susan3141
June 30th, 2015, 05:13 AM
I know, right? I should not post questions on FPG.

carlc
June 30th, 2015, 05:30 AM

Don't let him get you down.

Generally the Geeks is a friendly place but currently in desperate need of a moderator.

The other one you've had problems with is a PITA but tends to stay out of sight. Sadly he does make buying from the classifieds slightly less safe but there are plenty of well known people with good reputations selling as well.

reprieve
June 30th, 2015, 07:13 AM

Oh dear. I enjoy your posts, and I hope you'll continue to ask questions on FPGeeks. Most of us are friendly most of the time. I'm sorry you experienced otherwise.

Susan3141
June 30th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Oh, no worries. I love this forum. I just don't want another post to explode into all out war.

tandaina
June 30th, 2015, 09:11 AM
Oh, no worries. I love this forum. I just don't want another post to explode into all out war.

The ignore feature is a beautiful thing. ;)

Susan3141
June 30th, 2015, 10:41 AM
Yes. I have implemented it. Absolutely delightful.

musicman123
July 1st, 2015, 12:39 PM
I'm going to return this thread to normal! The term you are looking for, for the shininess if called "chatoyancy." It is a common effect witnessed in various gemstones like tiger's eye, and beryl. I will quote from WikiPedia below as it explains the science of chatoyancy better than I ever could.

The effect can be likened to the sheen off a spool of silk: The luminous streak of reflected light is always perpendicular to the direction of the fibres. For a gemstone to show this effect best it must be cut en cabochon, with the fibers or fibrous structures parallel to the base of the finished gem. The best finished specimens show a single sharply defined band of light that moves across the stone when it is rotated. Chatoyant stones of lesser quality display a banded effect as is typical with cat's-eye varieties of quartz. Faceted stones do not show the effect well.

For a TL;DR, the amount of chatoyancy depends on the way the material is cut. Since it is a circle, the result of the cut changes depending on the side (or the horizontal and vertical tangents for you calculus people).

Susan3141
July 1st, 2015, 12:47 PM
I'm going to return this thread to normal! The term you are looking for, for the shininess if called "chatoyancy." It is a common effect witnessed in various gemstones like tiger's eye, and beryl. I will quote from WikiPedia below as it explains the science of chatoyancy better than I ever could.

The effect can be likened to the sheen off a spool of silk: The luminous streak of reflected light is always perpendicular to the direction of the fibres. For a gemstone to show this effect best it must be cut en cabochon, with the fibers or fibrous structures parallel to the base of the finished gem. The best finished specimens show a single sharply defined band of light that moves across the stone when it is rotated. Chatoyant stones of lesser quality display a banded effect as is typical with cat's-eye varieties of quartz. Faceted stones do not show the effect well.

For a TL;DR, the amount of chatoyancy depends on the way the material is cut. Since it is a circle, the result of the cut changes depending on the side (or the horizontal and vertical tangents for you calculus people).

Thank you! That is very helpful. And now I have a new word in my vocabulary!

AltecGreen
July 2nd, 2015, 09:21 PM
If the pattern of the standard arco pattern does not suit you, you can look for an Omas Arco Spina di Pesce (http://www.estilograficas.net/omas-edicion-especial-arco-spina-celuloide-spina-di-pesce/). It is the same arco material but cut at a different angle creating a totally different effect. This pattern is rare but the pens can be found if you look hard enough.

FredRydr
July 3rd, 2015, 09:02 AM
Wow! I gotta get me one of them thar Arcos!

Fred

Susan3141
July 3rd, 2015, 11:07 AM
You're mocking me, aren't you, Fred? I deserve it.

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 11:51 AM

Oh, I'm sure he's not. Fred's one of the nicest people around. He probably just liked the pen Ricky linked to, which I've never seen before, and I'm an Omas fan. Ricky always has the most amazing Italian pens.

I personally like the regular Arco better, though, like the one you have. Mine's Arco Verde. :)

Susan3141
July 3rd, 2015, 12:44 PM

Oh, I'm sure he's not. Fred's one of the nicest people around. He probably just liked the pen Ricky linked to, which I've never seen before, and I'm an Omas fan. Ricky always has the most amazing Italian pens.

I personally like the regular Arco better, though, like the one you have. Mine's Arco Verde. :)

I bought the pen in question from Fred, that's why he's mocking me. I told him I freaked out when I first received it thinking something was wrong. Should've just asked him about it. :)

FredRydr
July 3rd, 2015, 01:21 PM
No mocking. Hey, I have the ballpoint to remind me of that gorgeous celluloid, at least until someone smart buys it! Bert Oser (https://www.bertramsinkwell.com/home.php) has an interesting display in his shop with a block of that celluloid.

Fred

Bogon07
July 5th, 2015, 09:36 PM
If the pattern of the standard arco pattern does not suit you, you can look for an Omas Arco Spina di Pesce (http://www.estilograficas.net/omas-edicion-especial-arco-spina-celuloide-spina-di-pesce/). It is the same arco material but cut at a different angle creating a totally different effect. This pattern is rare but the pens can be found if you look hard enough.
Wow indeed. Similar but dramatically different.
http://www.estilograficas.org/imagenes/firmas/omas/ediciones-limitadas/omas-arco-spina/omas-arco-spina-0.jpg

youstruckgold
July 26th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Not much more to be said here that hasn't already been said. I also prefer the standard Arco; and I also like the variation between light and shade. For a fabulous example, you should see it on the 360!!!:jaw:
https://youstruckgold.smugmug.com/Pens/Omas/i-hb9LzNj/0/L/IMG_2207-L.jpg

whichwatch
July 27th, 2015, 06:11 AM
Not much more to be said here that hasn't already been said. I also prefer the standard Arco; and I also like the variation between light and shade. For a fabulous example, you should see it on the 360!!!

That's gorgeous! The Arco Brown looks good on almost any model on which it is used!

http://www.fototime.com/%7B86B6ECA1-F4C5-40C4-B5F2-195D39A25E31%7D/origpict/DSCN7853.JPG

KBeezie
July 27th, 2015, 08:01 AM
dammit...(I don't need more pens right now) lol.

guy bagnall
August 5th, 2017, 08:44 AM

Thank you! That is very helpful. And now I have a new word in my vocabulary!

Hi Susan - I have the same Omas and the date 2002 is inscribed on the barrel. I have seen two different nib designs, one with Omas with a large O and another with the OMAS letters all the same size. On the bottom of the nib is 18k on one side and 750 on the other. I personally prefer the large O version but I wondered if yours might be the same? Regards

guy bagnall
August 5th, 2017, 09:23 AM
By the way, does anyone know what the 750 means?

AltecGreen
August 5th, 2017, 09:41 AM
By the way, does anyone know what the 750 means?

Percent of gold in the nib. 18 kt is 750 (Technically, it means 0.750)

14 kt is 585.

FredRydr
August 5th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Hi Susan...
This thread is two years old, and I believe she resold the pen last year or earlier.

Fred

Chrissy
August 6th, 2017, 05:02 AM
Hi Susan...
This thread is two years old, and I believe she resold the pen last year or earlier.

Fred
'Tis true enough. :)

Woody
August 8th, 2017, 08:00 AM

Always remember. One time there was a round table business meeting and someone suggested a movie about a Shark Tornado. You know the rest of the story.