PDA

View Full Version : Omas Stilo Fetti

jouesdeveau
June 29th, 2015, 05:17 PM
Though I spend a lot of time buying, selling and repairing Sheaffer plunger-fillers, I have a yen for modern Italian pens. Recently, my wife and I were in Rome, and I used the occasion and the relatively good Euro/Dollar rate, to acquire a brand new Omas from Stilo Fetti, a shop about a block or two from the Pantheon. Marco, the proprietor, told me that it was a limited edition made specifically for Stilo Fetti. The celluloid has been used on other Omas models. The color is called Blue Senape (mustard).

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/gmberg/Omas/IMG_5207_zpszd5s7t1i.jpghttp://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/gmberg/Omas/IMG_5212_zps3n8n7wnu.jpg The cap (right) reads: "Omas Italy 017/131". http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/gmberg/Omas/IMG_5215_zpsqacycw67.jpg

THE PEN
Having had this pen inked up and working now for about a month, I can now say that I am completely delighted with it. It has what I would call an old-fashioned Omas nib which is exquisitely expressive with perfect flow. Its long tines are flexible, not 1920s Waterman flexible, but flexible nevertheless. And no matter how quickly I apply pressure to thicken the line, the feed provides enough ink to avoid "railroad tracks". It releases well from a full press without leaving a blob. At the shop, I was considering a Visconti Divina, but the superb Omas nib sold me on it.

At the Triangle Pen Show I had Linda Kennedy put a fine stub on it, and it now ranks right up there in my collection with an Arte Italiano brown Arco with a Mottishaw nib. Like the Arco, this limited edition Stilo Fetti has all the typical quality of an Omas, in this case, for example, the three cap bands perfectly blend into the cap and conform precisely with the faceting, a signature design feature of Omas.

THE SHOP: STILO FETTI
As well, I want to tip my hat to the shop in Rome where I bought the pen, Stilo Fetti, just steps away from the Pantheon at Via degli Orfani, 82. Its proprietor, Marco, was extremely patient as I examined quite a few pens in his very large stock. When I wanted some time alone with my wife to decide on what to buy, I told him, “I’ll be back”. Instead of simply saying goodbye, he recommended a café where we had what turned out to be the best cup of coffee in Rome (quite a claim!: OK- it's Tasso d'Oro). And when I returned to buy the pen, he recommended a very fine local restaurant for lunch (devoid of tourists) which could never be found since it was down several alleys
without street signs and had a door that was entirely unmarked. He walked us there himself and introduced us to the maitre d.

Finally, the actual glass a brick of the shop was a treat to anyone who loves old shops. It is alleged to be the oldest pen shop in Rome, and it was filled with wood cases set in warmly polished wood-framed rooms with thick carpets and soft lights. Though I speak no Italian, Marco and his staff easily understood what I was looking for and were very helpful and considerate. There is no question that when I return to Rome, I will return to Stilo Fetti.

Here's their contact info:

Stilo Fetti, Via degli Orfani, 82, Roma. Tel. 06.678.96.62.

www.stilofetti.it

info@stilofetti.it

Gerry Berg

Scrawler
June 29th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Very nice.

Robert
June 29th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the pics of the Omas. And thanks for the tip on Stilo Fetti. Next time I'm in Rome (as early as this October) . . .

Barry Gabay
July 5th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Isn't that a great shop!!! From your description, little has changed in ambiance or service. Happened upon it years ago & ended up spending an entire winter afternoon there. My wife and young sons returned to our pension; all 3 knew what was in store when I entered a new pen establishment. Is there still a vintage department in the back, up the little staircase?

jouesdeveau
July 5th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Hi Barry:

Yup: up about three plushly carpeted stairs in a glass case on the wall is the vintage collection. They were rather low on inventory there- only about ten pens lined up-- but some real old beauties like a 1930s Omas faceted Lucens Extra. They were also selling some beautiful leather goods: purses, billfolds etc, so the smell of leather added to the ambiance.
Gerry

katanankes
February 8th, 2016, 06:29 AM
Great pen... and great to hear that you received top notch service from this store. Really not a big deal, but I think that the claim that the pen was made specifically for the Stilo Fetti store is not accurate. First of all, usually store exclusive Omas bears the name of the store on it (i.e. Vecchietti, Musso, Campidoglio, Ercolessi...). More importantly, this pen was a re-re-edition of the Paragon celebration issues in 2011 (only difference, three rings in the cap instead of the Greek motive). The pen was released in 2014 in a lot of stores. I bought mine (the number 1!!!) in a store in Singapore. I would assume that number 1 would have gone to Stilo Fetti if it was their pen (even if the production was shared with other store, that was the case with the Paragon celebration inspired by Chatterley in 2011, not all went to Chatterley, but certainly the number 1s).
You can see the pen here:
http://www.nibs.com/omas-vintage-paragon-2014-blue-saffron.htm
and here in a review
http://inkypassion.com/2015/05/10/omas-paragon-vintage-2014-blue-saffron-celluloid-a-classic-with-a-touch-of-modernity/
Again, not realy a big deal, but thought useful to share this information.

jouesdeveau
February 8th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Many thanks. The review says that the LE contained 131 pieces. That explains the "017/131" on the cap of mine. The ad says there were 131 parts for EACH trim version., and they have the "HT" version for sale. Is that ruthenium? That appears to be the trim on the one you reviewed, no? The trim on mine is gold and the nib 18k.

katanankes
February 8th, 2016, 07:57 AM
Good catch. The review is not of mine... so that's not my pen. I need to check the finish but I will be able to do it only on next Monday when I go back to my office. It might well be that Stilo Fetti retained for itself the gold trim! That would explain everything :-)

katanankes
February 17th, 2016, 01:44 AM
Hi Gerry, finally back to office. Also mine has gold finishes on the furnishing. I believe this might have been the case with all odd numbers!