Sevenof9
July 3rd, 2015, 01:37 AM
help where is the ignore feature again?:cry:

Jon Szanto
July 3rd, 2015, 01:47 AM

Click on the user's name, to the left of one of their messages
From the menu that pops up, select "View Profile"
When their profile page appears, in the left upper area, second under their avatar pic, select "Add to ignore list"
Follow the prompts from there.

Or, you can just... ignore them. Honestly, though, I've used the ignore function in the past when gross irritants insist on voluminous posting. Not a crutch, just a tool.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 3rd, 2015, 05:20 AM
I read this today, from a disgruntled ED doctor. It was the funniest thing.

Today, November the 6th, in the year of 2014 shall forever be known by me as the day that I caught a poo.

I didn't intend to.

I wasn't wearing gloves.

I had no idea that when the poo fell from the patient while walking to the toilet, my first instinct would be to catch it.

I did not know what to do with the poo, and may have panicked and offered it back to the patient.

The patient declined the poo.

I still feel unclean

And then I saw this thread.

sgtstretch
July 3rd, 2015, 06:46 AM
I wander what he did with all the money I donated.

Join date: March 5th, 2015. Date FPGeeks went offline: March 5th, 2015. Sure, your statement adds up well.

Chrissy
July 3rd, 2015, 08:40 AM

When their profile page appears, in the left upper area, second under their avatar pic, select "Add to ignore list"

Or, you can just... ignore them. Honestly, though, I've used the ignore function in the past when gross irritants insist on voluminous posting. Not a crutch, just a tool.

I did it a different way.

Go to Settings (Top Right) next to My Profile
Then in the left hand side column click on 'Edit Ignore List'
Then 'Add a Member to your Ignore List'
Then click 'okay'

sharmon202
July 3rd, 2015, 08:55 AM
What is this guy smokin'?

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 08:57 AM

I did it a different way.

Go to Settings (Top Right) next to My Profile
Then in the left hand side column click on 'Edit Ignore List'
Then 'Add a Member to your Ignore List'
Then click 'okay'

This is my technique as well.

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 09:07 AM
you had to get rid of Dan for one reason or the other. Ole Dan was a shyster. I wander what he did with all the money I donated. He even had his favorites. If you need an honest trust worthy moderator I'm up to the challenge. I don't want a dime. I'm retired. All I do is play golf. If Eric makes me his moderator, every body that has been rude with me will get a blank slate. Eric. I will run this site exactly the way you want it run

Just quoting before it is erased.

That's a possibly defamatory statement.

And Ging Ging/Special K actually boasts that he is trying to destroy this forum.

Good to know.

kazoolaw
July 3rd, 2015, 03:19 PM

And Ging Ging/Special K actually boasts that he is trying to destroy this forum.

Good to know.

Sense of perspective/humor checked at the door.

Good to know

bulbboy
July 3rd, 2015, 03:48 PM
Never tap a guy that wants or asks to be a moderator...

mhosea
July 3rd, 2015, 03:49 PM
I think Laura has a good sense of humor...and an accurate perspective as it pertains to this situation.

Cob
July 3rd, 2015, 03:56 PM
you had to get rid of Dan for one reason or the other. Ole Dan was a shyster. I wander what he did with all the money I donated. He even had his favorites. If you need an honest trust worthy moderator I'm up to the challenge. I don't want a dime. I'm retired. All I do is play golf. If Eric makes me his moderator, every body that has been rude with me will get a blank slate. Eric. I will run this site exactly the way you want it run

Good to know.

Oh! So Special K is Ging Ging? That explains quite a lot.

Cob

MY63
July 3rd, 2015, 03:58 PM
Why do people with 1 post keep popping up in topics like this I also think Laura has a good sense of humor,
Do we really need a moderator and if we do then I would vote for Jon Szanto or indeed Laura N.
It is nice to know that the O P has kept a check of all of the people who have been rude to him guess he better add me to his naughty list.

Jon Szanto
July 3rd, 2015, 04:07 PM
If Eric makes me his moderator, every body that has been rude with me will get a blank slate.

Note to our Potential Future Overlord: I already have one, so your Promotional Gift is redundant and unnecessary.

http://classroom.synonym.com/DM-Resize/photos.demandstudios.com/getty/article/165/34/86522708.jpg?w=600&h=600&keep_ratio=1

Jon's Blank Slate

Dreck
July 3rd, 2015, 06:06 PM

Good to know.

Cob

Yeah it does.

Hawk
July 3rd, 2015, 07:25 PM
I apologize to Susan 3141 for my off topic remarks on the Asian Pens, "Sticker Residue..." Thread. Special K/Ging Ging was nice to start this thread in order for everyone to comment on our thoughts about the side subject that developed, and put in a better sub forum.

mhosea
July 3rd, 2015, 09:23 PM
Never tap a guy that wants or asks to be a moderator...

Reminds me of

“The major problem—one of the major problems, for there are several—one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of who manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.”
― Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Farmboy
July 3rd, 2015, 10:12 PM

Cob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrjLVSapII

Jon Szanto
July 3rd, 2015, 11:40 PM
Of course, we all owe Laura a debt of gratitude for capturing - for posterity and historical accuracy - the original version of the original post. Because "The Man Who Would Be King" doesn't actually like to have his words hang around to haunt him later on down the road. Hence my sig.

Hmmm. That was a pretty good movie, too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNb6SxXcD7g

kazoolaw
July 5th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Why do people with 1 post keep popping up in topics like this

Because after the first post they no longer have one post?

Chrissy
July 5th, 2015, 06:38 AM

That's certainly true enough ;)

carlc
July 5th, 2015, 08:19 AM

That makes no sense as a response to the question asked.

david i
July 5th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Douglas Adams (great stuff) might've borrowed a bit from Thomas More (1520 or so), though perhaps even More wasn't first...

regards

david

Blackhorse
July 5th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I act as a moderator on another fairly large site (Brothers of Briar) and was drafted into the position pretty much against my will. We have five moderators. Some have areas of specialization. Mine is what we call the Trading Post.

Two things. 1) On that site, anyone that publicly calls out a moderator is immediately banned. That includes arguing with, complaining about, etc. Pretty much anything is fine via PM, but public comments are strictly monitored. And no...we don't have many problems with it. 2) Absolutely... anyone that volunteers for or requests to be or even hints at being a moderator in a public area on the site should be avoided like a leper with anthrax.

Just sayin'.

carlc
July 5th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Blackhorse:

1. You're going to get a lot of responses to that point. Most will be referencing FPN and the reason several are active on FP Geeks, not there.

2. Amen

Flounder
July 5th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Eric, I intend to seize power.

Now that the other horse is too deep in the K-hole to continue his campaign, nothing shall stand in my way. I shall wrest for myself absolute authority, and my wrath shall rule over the weak with a rod of iron. This is not to say I shall behave as a tyrant; random.org will be used to impartially choose a scapegoat for any given issue.

Tell me who to smite, and they shall be smoten!

Laura N
July 5th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Eric, I intend to seize power.

Now that the other horse is too deep in the K-hole to continue his campaign, nothing shall stand in my way. I shall wrest for myself absolute authority, and my wrath shall rule over the weak with a rod of iron. This is not to say I shall behave as a tyrant; random.org will be used to impartially choose a scapegoat for any given issue.

Tell me who to smite, and they shall be smoten!

Damn, that does sound good. I would like to be the first to throw my support behind the just and benevolent Flounder.

On the other hand, I do have dragon eggs gestating in the garage. So watch out. If Flounder is assassinated, or the body count gets too high, I could still enter the fray later and stake my claim to the Iron Throne. I will be neither just nor fair. But I will not equivocate and I will be heard. Also, I'm not batshit crazy, so that's a plus.

Jon Szanto
July 5th, 2015, 01:14 PM
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-smite-evil.png

Dreck
July 5th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Ha ha. You folks just don't get it, do you? I've already seized control and have been moderating for months. My takeover was so subtle and complete that nobody even noticed. I've already banned numerous people; Jon Szanto and Mike Hosea were both banned a while ago for being inveterate wiseacres, and I banned everyone between 40° and 60° latitude and 80° and 10.5° longitude just to capriciously display my incredible power. Again, all done with such craft and finesse that not even they noticed.
Man, I'm good.
All the blondes are next... Mwaaa haaaa haaa

Jon Szanto
July 5th, 2015, 03:02 PM
https://www.namepros.com/proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.quickmeme.com%2Fi mg%2Fee%2Feec405963f39cf516203b87523a9d2e86e579c63 f3d726791e15647bdc043166.jpg&hash=46f872f7bbbe8ae2bfef923865a2b900

Dreck
July 5th, 2015, 03:11 PM
The internet is serious business, Jon :whip:

Blackhorse
July 5th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Smoten?

Wow...not even Monte Python would use that. Hmmm.

I see the mods here as trotting around on wooden horses, followed by guys with cocoanut shells, making the clip clopping sounds. Their gleaming helmets have big plumes that are actually quill pens.

Susan3141
July 5th, 2015, 03:33 PM
All I want to know is when is the red wedding? There are some folks who need to be smoten.

Cob
July 5th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Well they certainly wouldn't invite me: after a fortnight the place would be renamed Mabie Todd Geeks Forum.

C.

Dreck
July 5th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Here's a summary of my supreme rulership philosophy. We'll also have Spaghetti Tuesdays every Wednesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMV44yoXZ0

carlc
July 5th, 2015, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't want to be a member of any forum that would let me be moderator.

Dreck
July 5th, 2015, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't want to be a member of any forum that would let me be moderator.

Well played, Carl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSsUoxlSADk

carlc
July 5th, 2015, 04:19 PM
The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.

Oops sorry, wrong Marx.

Chrissy
July 5th, 2015, 04:28 PM
I think I can safely say I wouldn't want to be a member of a forum that let 'Special K' be a moderator :blink:

carlc
July 5th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Smoten?

Wow...not even Monte Python would use that. Hmmm.

I see the mods here as trotting around on wooden horses, followed by guys with cocoanut shells, making the clip clopping sounds. Their gleaming helmets have big plumes that are actually quill pens.

Actually we're an anarcho-syndicalist commune.

Bloody peasant.

Neo
July 5th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Here's a summary of my supreme rulership philosophy. We'll also have Spaghetti Tuesdays every Wednesday.

How about Taco Tuesdays?

Dreck
July 5th, 2015, 06:24 PM

How about Taco Tuesdays?

That'll be on Friday, when I Kragle the forums

Cob
July 5th, 2015, 06:37 PM
I think I can safely say I wouldn't want to be a member of a forum that let 'Special K' be a moderator :blink:

That's right: if the information given above (to which I alluded) is correct, then any of us that didn't possess diamond-studded Montblancs and V-10 thingamajigs would be subject to instant lifetime bans.

Cob

Frank
July 5th, 2015, 07:31 PM
I REALLY need to spend more time here!! :bump2:

:)

Laura N
July 5th, 2015, 07:53 PM

That's right: if the information given above (to which I alluded) is correct, then any of us that didn't possess diamond-studded Montblancs and V-10 thingamajigs would be subject to instant lifetime bans.

Cob

I have Montblancs and two SUVs. But I don't think that will save me, either. :)

Hawk
July 5th, 2015, 08:02 PM
I guess my '98 GMC pickup will disqualify me as a new moderator. Hey, it's paid for.

Neo
July 5th, 2015, 08:21 PM
How about a Snoopy pen?

Farmboy
July 5th, 2015, 08:30 PM
I was told I can't afford a Porsche pen am I qualified or disqualified?

kazoolaw
July 5th, 2015, 09:08 PM
It is time to reveal my purpose for posting: this forum is the beach head for world domination. I am, you see, the model picture of a Moderator General!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hlTisI_HSgw

Scrawler
July 5th, 2015, 09:18 PM
We have a moderator? I will have you know I do not need moderation.

Chrissy
July 6th, 2015, 07:09 AM

Cob

I think we might have to consider a lifetime ban as complete and total moderator to anyone who has

2 SUV's! ;)

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Cob

I think we might have to consider a lifetime ban as complete and total moderator to anyone who has

2 SUV's! ;)

It snows here. :)

sgtstretch
July 6th, 2015, 08:10 AM
I have a wagon, which is an SUV before SUVs came to be, but no Montblancs.

FredRydr
July 6th, 2015, 09:25 AM
Anyone who can tolerate moderating a Montblanc forum for any length of time deserves a medal, a real one, not a fake.

Fred

Dreck
July 6th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I have a wagon, which is an SUV before SUVs came to be, but no Montblancs.

I miss our old station wagon. What a boat! Now I have a Blazer with a sticker from Miskatonic University on the back window.

Of the 6 pens I own, none are Montblancs; diamond-encrusted or otherwise. I don't even have diamonds on the soles of my shoes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I_T3XvzPaM

Sailor Kenshin
July 6th, 2015, 09:50 AM

Cob

2 SUV's! ;)

Who, me?

Hawk
July 6th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I feel we need to moderate this Site Moderator discussion, it might provoke comments from the originator. Oops, I might have reopened the bag.... Sorry.

Cob
July 6th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I feel we need to moderate this Site Moderator discussion, it might provoke comments from the originator. Oops, I might have reopened the bag.... Sorry.

That's you banned then!

C.

ethernautrix
July 6th, 2015, 12:23 PM
YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS, er, MODERATOR OF ME!

Hello! HELLO? I said you're not the moderator of me!

P.S. Where is the strike-out code?

Scrawler
July 6th, 2015, 12:27 PM

Cob

I am clearly too impecunious to remain a member of this forum. I am going to stick my head in a bucket of water now, because of my unworthiness.

Wile E Coyote
July 6th, 2015, 01:08 PM

It's right here

tandaina
July 6th, 2015, 01:51 PM

Cob

I am clearly too impecunious to remain a member of this forum. I am going to stick my head in a bucket of water now, because of my unworthiness.

Marvin: "Do you want me to stick my head in a bucket of water, I've got one with me"
Trillian: "Who is it?"
Zaphod: "It's Marvin, he's just phoned up to wash his head at us"

Cob
July 6th, 2015, 02:54 PM

It's right here

How do you that? I mean do the strike-out thing?

Cob

Jon Szanto
July 6th, 2015, 03:02 PM

Cob

Easiest way? Highlight some text and select one of the modifiers, let's say "Bold". Where you see the letter "B" in the opening and closing brackets, replace with an "S". Done.

It is a standard BB code for this version, but not all the editors have a button you can just push. You can even just type those bracket codes in yourself, also, which is what I usually do when I haven't been drinking working too hard.

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 03:08 PM

Cob

Easiest way? Highlight some text and select one of the modifiers, let's say "Bold". Where you see the letter "B" in the opening and closing brackets, replace with an "S". Done.

It is a standard BB code for this version, but not all the editors have a button you can just push. You can even just type those bracket codes in yourself, also, which is what I usually do when I haven't been drinking working too hard.

That's really cool nerdy that you know this.

Works!

mhosea
July 6th, 2015, 03:09 PM

I don't know how to do it from the editor with a button click. I have to jump through some hoops to show you:

type it like this

But if I type what you see above directly, it comes out like this:
type it like this

mhosea
July 6th, 2015, 03:10 PM

Cob

That's a good way of explaining it. While you were typing that, I was trying to figure out how to "escape" bbcode.

Cob
July 6th, 2015, 03:21 PM

I don't know how to do it from the editor with a button click. I have to jump through some hoops to show you:

type it like this

But if I type what you see above directly, it comes out like this:
type it like this

well that didn't work did it?

That was jolly clever - I mean to type the stuff and have it not happen!

Thanks very much!

Cob

ethernautrix
July 6th, 2015, 05:41 PM
You... you wiley Wile E.! Thank you for the PM.

As I said in reply, I tried , which worked once upon a time (using <>, not []).

So, thanks many thanks, Wile E.!

Meep, meep!