PDA

View Full Version : Error clicking on thumbnails - can't see pics

Alohamora
July 3rd, 2015, 10:14 AM
I get an error message when I click on Thumbnails in a post. This happens in For Sale, reviews, any subforum I've tried.

vBulletin Message
You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
...etc

I'd like to see the full-size images, can this be fixed?

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 10:21 AM
I think you just have to be logged in. When I surf on my phone, I can't see them, because I'm not logged in on my phone. But I can on my laptop because I'm logged in on that browser.

Alohamora
July 3rd, 2015, 10:57 AM
Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately, this is happening while I am logged in.

Laura N
July 3rd, 2015, 11:01 AM
Thank you for the response.

Unfortunately, this is happening while I am logged in.

Bummer. I am useless then. Hopefully one of the tech-literate people will pop by with the answer.

Does it do this on every browser you use?

Alohamora
July 3rd, 2015, 11:07 AM
Yes, just tried. It happens with Chrome and IE.

Alohamora
July 3rd, 2015, 11:16 AM
I was going to edit the above to add that it also happens on a Fire tablet using Silk as well. But I just noticed I can't edit my own posts either.

Blastmaster1972
July 21st, 2015, 01:38 AM
I seem to have the same problem. When I click on a picture it gives me a message that I do not have the necessary permissions to watch that picture...

Would be nice to see a solution to this!

Kind regards,

Jos

Wile E Coyote
July 21st, 2015, 05:22 AM
It may be your member level. Both users that get the error message are "junior" members.

Blastmaster1972
July 21st, 2015, 07:27 AM
It may be your member level. Both users that get the error message are "junior" members.

And how long do you think it will take to be elevated to "senior member"?

I registered almost 2 years ago...

One of the main reasons I visit this forum is to look at pretty pictures of fountain pens. Very frustrating to only see thumbnails.

Kind regards,

Jos

Wile E Coyote
July 21st, 2015, 07:34 AM
And how long do you think it will take to be elevated to "senior member"?

I registered almost 2 years ago...

One of the main reasons I visit this forum is to look at pretty pictures of fountain pens. Very frustrating to only see thumbnails.

Kind regards,

Jos

It's not time based, it's based on posts made. You're almost there, check this link (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/559-member-rank?highlight=member+level) for the full explanation.

Hopefully the board will let you see the pictures with a "member" level and not "senior member".

Blastmaster1972
July 21st, 2015, 07:41 AM
It's not time based, it's based on posts made. You're almost there, check this link (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/559-member-rank?highlight=member+level) for the full explanation.

Hopefully the board will let you see the pictures with a "member" level and not "senior member".

Thank you for the clarification!

If the board does not let me see pictures with the "member" level, then I'm afraid there will not be much point of visiting this forum any longer.

Kind regards,

Jos

Laura N
July 21st, 2015, 07:48 AM

Thank you for the clarification!

If the board does not let me see pictures with the "member" level, then I'm afraid there will not be much point of visiting this forum any longer.

Kind regards,

Jos

I don't think it makes sense even for "junior members." A lot of people register and never post, or only post a few times. Some of them only want to be able to buy things that are for sale.

Maybe someone should PM or email Eric? Maybe this is just something no one in charge knew about.

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 08:16 AM
Are you accessing the board through tapatalk?

I can't enbiggen thumbnails on my phone via tapatalk.

Blastmaster1972
July 21st, 2015, 08:22 AM
Are you accessing the board through tapatalk?

No. Regular laptop, firefox browser.

Kind regards,

Jos

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 08:24 AM
Out of interest - which thread/post number?

jar
July 21st, 2015, 08:31 AM
Well, this is a discussion board and so if folk don't post there really is not much point of them visiting this forum any longer.

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 08:37 AM
Actually I think 'lurkers' are okay.

Some people don't want to post and that's fine.

You shouldn't need to pay 'dues' (posts) to be a member of the Geeks.

jar
July 21st, 2015, 09:02 AM
Actually I think 'lurkers' are okay.

Some people don't want to post and that's fine.

You shouldn't need to pay 'dues' (posts) to be a member of the Geeks.

And you don't need to participate to be a member, but if you do not participate is there a reason to be a member?

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 09:20 AM
To look at the pictures - some can't be seen unless you're logged in.

jar
July 21st, 2015, 09:37 AM

But as I said, this is a discussion board. The pictures are just part of the discussions. Sales are just a service provided to members. If you are not going to discuss stuff then why should "pictures" be available?

Blastmaster1972
July 21st, 2015, 09:42 AM

But as I said, this is a discussion board. The pictures are just part of the discussions. Sales are just a service provided to members. If you are not going to discuss stuff then why should "pictures" be available?

Thank you for making me feel welcome.

Just to make some things clear: I do participate, just not a lot. I like to read reviews & look at the pictures. I have no interest in the sales.

So if I would be allowed to see the pictures without using a magnifying glass, that would be great.

Kind regards,

Jos

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 09:42 AM
Personally I'm fine with people viewing the forum/pictures without posting.

Clearly you aren't.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Laura N
July 21st, 2015, 09:47 AM
Lots of people are shy. Lots of people don't think they should post unless they have something unique or interesting to share.

Some people probably are intimidated by the occasional strange, unfriendly or hostile posts that can be found here from time to time. If you don't visit a lot, you might run across things here that can be jarring, compared to some websites, and if there's no context in which to put it, you might think you walked into the wrong party.

FPG could if it chooses operate as a private club, or an invitation-only forum. However it appears to me to be run as an open forum that welcomes legitimate members. It seems more welcoming to offer all members the full range of options right away, and since that's how FPG operates in all other areas, I'd assume the photo thing is mistake or unknown bug, rather than something intended. Though perhaps it is in response to some sort of spamming problem, and if so, perhaps there's a compromise solution that won't turn away quiet people who enjoy the website and might some day start to post.

jar
July 21st, 2015, 10:08 AM

Clearly you aren't.

I have absolutely no issue with whether or not folk can see pictures and if the membership wants to change the current set up they certainly can petition to have stuff changed.

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 10:09 AM

Clearly you aren't.

I have absolutely no issue with whether or not folk can see pictures and if the membership wants to change the current set up they certainly can petition to have stuff changed.

Okay. Sorry I misunderstood.

jar
July 21st, 2015, 10:10 AM

Just to make some things clear: I do participate, just not a lot. I like to read reviews & look at the pictures. I have no interest in the sales.

So if I would be allowed to see the pictures without using a magnifying glass, that would be great.

Kind regards,

Jos

You are most welcome. If I did not welcome you before then Welcome Home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. And I bett by the time this thread ends you will have enough posts to see the pictures.

eriquito
July 21st, 2015, 10:48 AM
Hello All,

Blastmaster1972:

Please try again, everything should be fine now.
I found you on the "Restricted Users" list and moved you to the standard "Registered Users" list.
I'm sorry, I can't tell you why you were on the Restricted Users list. Not because it's a secret, but because I don't know.
Let me know if you have any further problem viewing pictures.

Alohamora:

Sorry, I can't resolve your issue as quickly as above. You are a standard "Registered User."
Please contact me via email or by using the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page.

Eric

Blastmaster1972
July 21st, 2015, 11:13 AM
Hello All,

Blastmaster1972:

Please try again, everything should be fine now.
I found you on the "Restricted Users" list and moved you to the standard "Registered Users" list.
I'm sorry, I can't tell you why you were on the Restricted Users list. Not because it's a secret, but because I don't know.
Let me know if you have any further problem viewing pictures.

Alohamora:

Sorry, I can't resolve your issue as quickly as above. You are a standard "Registered User."
Please contact me via email or by using the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page.

Eric

It seems to work now. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Jos

Crazyorange
July 21st, 2015, 11:32 AM

Kind regards,

Jos

I say "welcome". Don't let the others turn you off from checking around the forum. Unfortunately, I think it stinks you can't see the pics. Hopefully someone can change that. :)