PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Ink No. 10

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 10:36 AM
What does everyone think? Shall we stop horrifying ourselves by reading off-topic threads long enough to try another installment of Mystery Ink? Do we have time to talk about ink? Because, it’s hard to believe, but it's sort of time for the tenth round of MI. If there's a will. Which I don't know. But I'll give it a go. I am excited that together we have reached double digits, allowing me to use my second-favorite punctuation mark, the hyphen, to introduce MI-10.

MI-10 has to be dedicated to Carli Lloyd, Number 10 for the US Women’s National Team, and team captain for most of its games. Just last night Lloyd scored three goals to power the USA to the 2015 world championship of soccer/football, on the women's side. (If she were playing the MI-favorite sport of hockey, that would be a hat trick.) Lloyd received the Golden Ball, as best player of the tournament, after carrying her team offensively throughout the knock-out round, and the Silver Boot, losing the Golden Boot scoring title on mere a tie-breaker. Note that the US team is rocking the Lamy Neon Lime socks for this one. MI-10 spiritual leader and namesake Carli Lloyd is kneeling down in the first row, holding the World Cup trophy.

In international soccer/football, the Number 10 jersey is traditionally a prestigious number, often claimed by the player who strives to be the team’s top goal scorer and difference maker. First Maradona and Pele, now Messi, Rooney and Neymar. Lloyd is another star Number 10. Also wearing the Number 10 on the woman’s side is the great Homare Sawa, who played in her sixth World Cup for Japan this year. Sawa and Japan won the World Cup in 2011 over the US, but came up short last night to the US side, and took silver. They were down 4-0 early, and fought back like champions, losing 5-2 but never giving up. It’s only fitting for MI-10 to also pay homage to Sawa, who has been a transcendent player for a wonderful national team.

Sadly, it was as recently as the 2012 Olympics when the magnificent World Champion Japanese woman’s team was sent by their federation to London flying coach, while the lower-ranked Japanese men’s team flew business class. I believe it was the same for the Matildas of Australia. MI lives in the 21st Century, and MI is irked by that.

So with hopes of equality for all, I hereby declare the Carli Lloyd edition of Mystery Ink shall now begin. In honor of reaching Number 10, there will be a special wrinkle in MI-10 which volunteers will be the first to discover. Otherwise, all rules and requirements remain the same. All that is required of our volunteers will be a willingness to try the unknown MI-10 and post your impressions here. The idea is to have fun by trying an ink without any preconceptions, or even a clue as to what it might be. To preserve the mystery, the identity of the ink will not be revealed until every recipient has received his or her ink and had a chance to try it. So we also ask people not to write guesses about the ink’s name directly in the thread. Thank you to all.

People who've done it before are welcome again, as are people who are new to the exercise. Everyone is welcome in Mystery Ink. If you’d like to volunteer, please post here and let everyone know why you’d like to get MI-10. You can also guess the identity of my actual, overall, most favorite punctuation mark in the whole wide world. Or just nominate your own favorite Number 10. Or your own favorite punctuation mark. You can do anything but troll others. Because that kind of stuff belongs in the thread on removing stickers with alcohol, duh.

If you are volunteering, and it’s not in your profile, please tell us where you live (just the state or country). That helps to select a diverse slate of participants and figure out mailing times. If we have more than six volunteers, participants will be chosen randomly. We hardly had any volunteers last time for Hitch. I hope we find more for MI-10. Thank you for reading this far when there's ugh sports gross ick hate it why can’t we talk about culture it’s supposed to be a fountain pen forum people can’t we see a little class and some standards here.

Alright just cut that out because I can talk ballet until the cows come home, and if you aren’t careful I will. This quite easily could have been the Misty Copeland edition of MI. Don’t tempt me. But let's see if we can get some volunteers to try the ink, so MI can continue. I'll be watching public broadcasting *not* in hopes of upping my game for MI-11.

Sammyo
July 6th, 2015, 10:48 AM
As ever I would love to put my name in the hat along with my GKN ink and pen posse for another group review... also intrigued by the "In honor of reaching Number 10, there will be a special wrinkle in MI-10 which volunteers will be the first to discover." comment, this makes me want it more than usual!

And just for info, my favourite punctuation mark is the exclamation mark... which I regularly over use!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI, three goals by the same player in football is also called a "hat trick", see! it's not so different after all ;)

Jon Szanto
July 6th, 2015, 11:23 AM
I hope to always lead my team offensively. If people aren't offended, I'm not doing my job. I'm following this MI-10 thing but hope you'll find enough new volunteers, as I was in on the last one.

This was insane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMUpWUJzyg0

Also, this:

https://scontent.fsan1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/v/t1.0-9/11148578_10153487826676917_1036849125599204264_n.j pg?oh=a1b4f4d5c7a85f1ccd0e7c8bc8b9d3b7&oe=56120BC3

FredRydr
July 6th, 2015, 11:30 AM
It's not fluorescent yellow-green, is it?

Fred

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 11:48 AM
It's not fluorescent yellow-green, is it?

Fred

That would be a special wrinkle. Not telling!

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 11:50 AM
This was insane:

I like this from Streamable (https://streamable.com/3kt8). Kind of hypnotic.

Playing soccer/football like a boss.

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 11:55 AM
FYI, three goals by the same player in football is also called a "hat trick", see! it's not so different after all ;)

Yeah, I know they call it a hat trick, but since there are no hats thrown on the ice, I am sort of grudging about it. Hockey is my Number One, after all.

Someone told me the term was first used in cricket. The one sport I cannot understand for the life of me. George Clooney could sit across from me, and explain it to me point by point, rule by rule, and still my eyes would glaze over and I'd have to excuse myself, defeated and shaking my head ruefully. Cute outfits, though.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 6th, 2015, 02:09 PM
If it's okay I would like to put my name in the hat. My fave punctuation is ...

Crazyorange
July 6th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Count me in but I'm still on the side lines with my NPR radio. ;)
Favorite !!!!!

sgtstretch
July 6th, 2015, 02:38 PM
I'll throw my hat in if there aren't enough, but only if there aren't enough. I'm with Cryptos, my favorite punctuation is …

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Happy to see some brave volunteers here. And even happier to have finally hit upon a sport Jon likes.

Does no one like the four period ellipses? At the end of a sentence? I enjoy that one very much.

mhguda
July 6th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I'd like to jump in too. Just to play with a new ink...

Neo
July 6th, 2015, 04:24 PM

reprieve
July 6th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Does no one like the four period ellipses? At the end of a sentence? I enjoy that one very much.

Why, yes. . . . I do enjoy the four period ellipsis. Quite.

My very favorite punctuation mark is probably the semi-colon; however, I also adore the exclamation point! In fact, I was all like: !!!!!!!!!!??!!??!!!!!!!!!! when Carli Lloyd scored her three goals. Within, what, the first fifteen minutes of the match?!

And then I was like: :) :) :) and :rockon::rockon::rockon: and :dance3::dance3::dance3:!!!

So I had to jump in and say: This MI-10 thread is bound to be full of win. Soccer and punctuation marks and pens and inks--how could it get better?

Neo
July 6th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Some cake....or pie?

sgtstretch
July 6th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Some cake....or pie?

π

Extra characters needed.

Chrissy
July 6th, 2015, 05:05 PM
I would love to throw my name into the hat if you don't mind please?

What could your favourite punctuation mark be? Hmmm I'm voting for exclamation mark!!!!!

That happens to be my favourite punctuation mark anyway. Way to go Sammy!!!

caribbean_skye
July 6th, 2015, 05:18 PM
Throwing my name into the hat again, now that things here have calmed down somewhat. Fave players are Ballack and Messi, both have worn #10. As for fave punctuation, to type it would be elipses, to handwrite its the exclamation.

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 05:53 PM
Throwing my name into the hat again, now that things here have calmed down somewhat. Fave players are Ballack and Messi, both have worn #10. As for fave punctuation, to type it would be elipses, to handwrite its the exclamation.

Oh I used to love Ballack! I didn't even realize he was Number 10, because I think of him as Number 13.

Does anyone remember Roberto Baggio? Baggio will always be my personal favorite Number 10. Now tied with Carli Lloyd. :)

caribbean_skye
July 6th, 2015, 06:22 PM

Oh I used to love Ballack! I didn't even realize he was Number 10, because I think of him as Number 13.

Does anyone remember Roberto Baggio? Baggio will always be my personal favorite Number 10. Now tied with Carli Lloyd. :)

ooos sorry, youre right, Ballack is 13. I do remember Roberto Baggio *swoons*

Jon Szanto
July 6th, 2015, 06:26 PM
And even happier to have finally hit upon a sport Jon likes.

How little you know me. You've obviously never heard me wax rhapsodically about pétanque.

Laura N
July 6th, 2015, 06:33 PM

ooos sorry, youre right, Ballack is 13. I do remember Roberto Baggio *swoons*

Ballack is honorary No. 10, for sure.

tiffanyhenschel
July 6th, 2015, 07:11 PM
I'll throw my hat in for this one, too. Trying mystery inks takes me out of my rut and -- in cases like MI9 -- makes me reevaluate inks I thought I knew. :)

fountainpagan
July 7th, 2015, 01:13 AM
My first time entering the trial. Please count me in.

The question mark is my favorite.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 7th, 2015, 03:31 AM
fountainpagan is new to this, I will defer my entry accordingly.

BCDDiggler
July 7th, 2015, 07:50 AM
I'll sit out this round - vacations and office moves are not conducive to productivity OR hobby's!
Looking forwards to all the reviews though!

And while Team Canada was my team, go Team USA!

naimitsu
July 7th, 2015, 08:21 AM
I will refrain from throwing in for this as Sammyo already has and if he gets selected, I get to play with the ink anyway ;)

As for my favorite punctuation mark, it would have to be the semicolon; it is rarely used and when used, oft times it is used erroneously!

Good luck to the entrants!

Laura N
July 7th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Excellent, let's get a few more entries, if we may. The more the merrier.

Sailor Kenshin
July 7th, 2015, 10:59 AM
Am I too late?

My favorite punctuation has gotta be ;

I seem to employ it far too often.

Jon Szanto
July 7th, 2015, 01:43 PM
My favorite punctuation has gotta be ;

I seem to employ it far too often.

Interesting to see you say that, as I just read this (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/07/project-semicolon-tattoos_n_7745358.html) about 10 minutes ago.

alc3261
July 7th, 2015, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I know they call it a hat trick, but since there are no hats thrown on the ice, I am sort of grudging about it. Hockey is my Number One, after all.

Someone told me the term was first used in cricket. The one sport I cannot understand for the life of me. George Clooney could sit across from me, and explain it to me point by point, rule by rule, and still my eyes would glaze over and I'd have to excuse myself, defeated and shaking my head ruefully. Cute outfits, though.

The Ashes starts tomorrow!! A hat trick in cricket is a bowler getting 3 people out with successive balls bowled.
My favourite punctuation is the interobang ?!

Laura N
July 7th, 2015, 05:59 PM

The Ashes starts tomorrow!! A hat trick in cricket is a bowler getting 3 people out with successive balls bowled.

Those cricket outfits are very nice. I could have sworn you were a rugby fan?!

alc3261
July 7th, 2015, 07:02 PM

Those cricket outfits are very nice. I could have sworn you were a rugby fan?!

Rugby too of course but no Rugby in summer, no Cricket in winter.

Laura N
July 7th, 2015, 08:09 PM
Alright, darn it. I will make a summer resolution. I shall try (again) to decipher cricket. Source of the hat trick. :tea:

Jon Szanto
July 7th, 2015, 08:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E6q9W8Ur2k

Hawk
July 7th, 2015, 11:03 PM
I participated last time so I shouldn't be eligable. However, if no one local wants to get inky, count me in; I hate for you to be short an evaluator.

alc3261
July 8th, 2015, 02:44 AM
Alright, darn it. I will make a summer resolution. I shall try (again) to decipher cricket. Source of the hat trick. :tea:

I will try to offer a simple explanation!!

Chrissy
July 8th, 2015, 02:53 AM
I know you've all read the rules of cricket for "foreign people" (that only means non-Brits) many times, but here they are again just for completeness. :)

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game :confused::confused:

caribbean_skye
July 8th, 2015, 05:26 AM
I know you've all read the rules of cricket for "foreign people" (that only means non-Brits) many times, but here they are again just for completeness. :)

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game :confused::confused:

I grew up watching cricket and read that and went huh?! [emoji5]️

Neo
July 8th, 2015, 05:35 AM
From cricket-rules.com

Cricket is a game played with a bat and ball on a large field, known as a ground, between two teams of 11 players each.

The object of the game is to score runs when at bat and to put out, or dismiss, the opposing batsmen when in the field. The cricket rules displayed on this page here are for the traditional form of cricket which is called “Test Cricket”.

However there are other formats of the game eg. 50 over matches, Twenty20 Cricket etc where the rules differ slightly.

Cricket is a game played between two teams made up of eleven players each. There is also a reserve player called a “twelfth man” who is used should a player be injured during play.

The twelfth man is not allowed to bowl, bat, wicket keep or captain the team. His sole duty is to act as a substitute fielder
The original player is free to return to the game as soon as they have recovered from their injury.

To apply the law and make sure the cricket rules are upheld throughout the game there are two umpires in place during games. Umpires are responsible for making decisions and notifying the scorers of these decisions.

Two umpires are in place on the playing field while there is also a third umpire off the field who is in charge of video decisions.

This is where the call is too close for the on field umpires and they refer it to the third umpire who reviews slow motion video replays to make a decision.

Game Structure
Test cricket is a game that spans over two innings. This means that one team needs to bowl the other team out twice and score more runs then them to win the match. Another key difference between test cricket and other forms of cricket is the length of the innings. In test cricket there is no limit to the innings length. Whereas in one day cricket & Twenty20 cricket there are a certain amount of overs per innings. The only limits in test cricket is a 5 day length. Before the game begins an official will toss a coin. The captain who guesses the correct side of the coin will then choose if they want to bat or field first. One team will then bat while the other will bowl & field. The aim of the batting team is to score runs while the aim of the fielding team is to bowl ten people out and close the batting teams’ innings. Although there are eleven people in each team only ten people need to be bowled out as you cannot have one person batting alone. Batting is done in pairs.

Once the first team has been bowled out the second team would then go into bat. Once the second team is then bowled out it would normally return to the first team batting again. However there is an exception to this in the cricket rules, it is called the follow-on. The follow-on is when the first team makes at least 200 runs more than the second team made (in a 5 day test match). This then gives the first team the option to make the second team bat again. This is particularly useful if the game is progressing slowly or affected by bad weather and there might not be enough time for both teams to play a full innings. Should this be the case the batting team’s captain also has the right to forfeit their innings at any time. This is called a declaration. Some may wonder why a captain would forfeit the opportunity for his team to bat. However if the game is coming close to a close and it looks like they will not be able to bowl the other team out again this could be an option. If one team is not bowled out twice and a winner determined in the five days of play the game is declared a draw. Therefore it may be worth declaring an innings to creat the possibility of a win rather than a draw.

Ways to score runs
The aim of the batsmen is to score runs. One of the main cricket rules is that for batsmen to score runs they must run to each other’s end of the pitch (from one end to the other). In doing this one run is scored. Cricket rules state they may run multiple runs per shot. As well as running they can also score runs by hitting boundaries. A boundary scores the batsmen either 4 or 6 runs. A four is scored by hitting the ball past the boundary after hitting the ground while a six is scored by hitting the ball past the boundary on the full (before it hits the ground). Cricket rules also state that once a 4 or 6 has been scored any runs physically ran by the batsman are null & void. They will only obtain the 4 or 6 runs.

Other ways runs can be scored according to the cricket rules include no balls, wide balls, byes & leg byes. Cricket rules state that all runs scored by these methods are awarded to the batting team but not the individual batters.

A “No Ball” can be declared for many reasons: If the bowler bowls the ball from the wrong place, the ball is declared dangerous (often happens when bowled at the batsmen’s body on the full), bounces more than twice or rolls before reaching the batsman or if fielders are standing in illegal positions. The batsman can hit a no ball and score runs off it but cannot be out from a no ball except if they are ran out, hit the ball twice, handle the ball or obstruct the field. The batsman gains any runs scored off the no ball for his shot while the team also gains one run for the no ball itself.
A “Wide Ball” will be declared if the umpire thinks the batsman did not have a reasonable opportunity to score off the delivery. However if the delivery is bowled over the batsmen’s head it will not be declared a wide but a no ball. Umpires are much stricter on wide deliveries in the shorter format of the game while being much more relaxed in test cricket. A wide delivery will add one run to the batting team and any runs scored by the batsman. The batsman is not able to get out off a wide delivery except if they are stumped, run out, handle the ball, hit their wicket or obstruct the field.
A “Bye” is where a ball that isn’t a no ball or wide passes the striking batsman and runs are scored without the batsman hitting the ball.
A “Leg Bye” is where runs are scored by hitting the batsman, but not the bat and the ball is not a no ball or wide. However no runs can be scored if the striking batsman didn’t attempt to play a shot or if he was avoiding the ball.
Ways Batsmen can be given out according to cricket rules
There are a number of different ways a batsman can be given out in the game of cricket. When a bowler gets a batsman out it is said that the bowler gets a “wicket”. Following are the different ways a batsman can be given out according to the rules of cricket:

Bowled – Cricket rules state that if the ball is bowled and hits the striking batsman’s wickets the batsman is given out (as long as at least one bail is removed by the ball). It does not matter whether the ball has touched the batsman’s bat, gloves, body or any other part of the batsman. However the ball is not allowed to have touched another player or umpire before hitting the wickets.
Caught – Cricket rules state that if a batsman hits the ball or touches the ball at all with his bat or hand/glove holding the bat then the batsman can be caught out. This is done by the fielders, wicket keeper or bowler catching the ball on the full (before it bounces). If this is done then cricket rules state the batsman is out.
Leg Before Wicket (LBW) – If the ball is bowled and it hits the batsman first without the bat hitting it then an LBW decision is possible. However for the umpire to give this out he must first look at some of the factors stated in the cricket rules. The first thing the umpire need to decide is would the ball have hit the wickets if the batsman was not there. If his answer to this is yes and the ball was not pitched on the leg side of the wicket he can safely give the batsman out. However if the ball hits the batsman outside the line of off stump while he was attempting to play a stroke then he is not out.
Stumped – A batsman can be given out according to cricket rules when the wicketkeeper puts down his wicket while he is out of his crease and not attempting a run (if he is attempting a run it would be a runout).
Run Out - Cricket rules state that a batsman is out if no part of his bat or body is grounded behind the popping crease while the ball is in play and the wicket is fairly put down by the fielding side.
Hit Wicket – Cricket rules specify that if a batsman hits his wicket down with his bat or body after the bowler has entered his delivery stried and the ball is in play then he is out. The striking batsman is also out if he hits his wicket down while setting off for his first run.
Handled The Ball – Cricket rules allow the batsman to be given out if he willingly handles the ball with the hand that is not touching the bat without the consent of the opposition.

Timed Out – An incoming batsman must be ready to face a ball or be at the non strikers end with his partner within three minutes of the outgoing batsman being dismissed. If this is not done the incoming batsman can be given out.
Hit The Ball Twice – Cricket rules state that if a batsman hits a ball twice other than for the purpose of protecting his wicket or with consent from the opposition he is out.
Obstructing The Field – A batsman is out if he willingly obstructs the opposition by word or action
There are many other cricket rules. However these are most of the basics and will get you well on your way to playing the game. Many of the more advanced rules & laws can be learned along the way and are not vital to general play.

Neo
July 8th, 2015, 05:37 AM
:confused: BTW

FredRydr
July 8th, 2015, 05:59 AM
When visiting the in-laws in Arundel, my wife's father took me to matches close by his home. I tried to find a "rulebook" in bookshops in Chichester, but the best I could find were volumes about memorable matches, sort of like case law reporters. I was expected to glean the rules from those. I finally found a pamphlet outlining the point of the game, but it came nowhere near explaining the why of various calls. I gave up, drank the beer from the adjacent pub and enjoyed the views.

Now, about M10....

Fred

Laura N
July 8th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Sometimes when the ball hits the sticks it's bad, and sometimes it's good. But I don't know why.

reprieve
July 8th, 2015, 07:28 AM
Sometimes when the ball hits the sticks it's bad, and sometimes it's good. But I don't know why.

Are you talking about cricket? Or are you getting all what's-the-meaning-of-life philosophical on us?

Laura N
July 8th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Are you talking about cricket? Or are you getting all what's-the-meaning-of-life philosophical on us?

Yes, sadly, I was talking about cricket. I missed the philosophical implications of how it might relate to the meaning of life. But that is awesome. I'm drawn to a Zen way of thinking, myself, where the ball hitting the sticks would be neither bad nor good but would just be. And we would appreciate that moment for what it is.

fountainpagan
July 8th, 2015, 08:21 AM
fountainpagan is new to this, I will defer my entry accordingly.

That is very gentle of you, Cryptos. Thank you.:)

fountainpagan
July 8th, 2015, 08:26 AM
But cricket is a very philosophical game: only the initiates understand it. A little like some philosophical theories, non?https://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Content/0092.gif

Jon Szanto
July 8th, 2015, 08:53 AM
:confused: BTW

BTW = "by the way..."

FredRydr
July 8th, 2015, 12:37 PM
I'll participate if I'm not too late.

Fred

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 12:18 PM
Hello, MI-10ers. Volunteers shall be randomly selected soon. I'm just doing a little behind-the-scenes work to make sure I have the correct number of entries.

I am happy to report that my Mid-Year Resolution is going swimmingly, and I streamed a little of the Ashes this morning. Crazyorange, we're for this guy:

Sailor Kenshin
July 9th, 2015, 01:18 PM
And why not? ;)

Chrissy
July 9th, 2015, 01:45 PM
I shop at Waitrose! :)

That must be James Anderson, and he's a bowler

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 02:03 PM
I shop at Waitrose! :)

1. I would, too. :)

2. It is, and he is. He was one of the bowlers when I watched. Not that I can evaluate any of the finer points, but he's very graceful in his delivery, and I enjoyed watching him. I'm getting into this. I wish we had it on tv.

migo984
July 9th, 2015, 02:12 PM
I look forward to seeing some ink tests.

Crazyorange
July 9th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Hello, MI-10ers. Volunteers shall be randomly selected soon. I'm just doing a little behind-the-scenes work to make sure I have the correct number of entries.

I am happy to report that my Mid-Year Resolution is going swimmingly, and I streamed a little of the Ashes this morning. Crazyorange, we're for this guy:

Ohhh...mr hottie!!!!

Chrissy
July 9th, 2015, 03:12 PM
I used to like watching cricket. In fact in my OH's younger days when he played, I used to go with him and I was the scorer.

I haven't watched cricket for ages

reprieve
July 9th, 2015, 03:14 PM

I could be converted to cricket....

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 03:25 PM

James Anderson England (which is actually England and WALES) test wicket taking all time record holder!! - 403
He got the record earlier this summer (from Sir Ian Botham who retired some years ago)

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 03:31 PM
And wasn't today in Wales? It was beautiful wherever it was.

I may just drop pens and turn to cricket.

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 03:34 PM

James Anderson England (which is actually England and WALES) test wicket taking all time record holder!! - 403
He got the record earlier this summer (from Sir Ian Botham who retired some years ago)

Also holds the record highest score for the 10th wicket (with Joe Root) of 198 England v. India in 2014.

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 03:35 PM

Also holds the record highest score for the 10th wicket (with Joe Root) of 198 England v. India in 2014.

He scored 81 - very good for a bowler!!

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Is this MI -10 or the James Anderson Show?

Crazyorange
July 9th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Is this MI -10 or the James Anderson Show?

Mr hottie show ;)

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 03:41 PM
So, per list randomizer, MI-10 goes to:

mhguda
alc3261
fountainpagan
tiffanyhenschel
Crazyorange
FredRydr
Sailor Kenshin

Foutainpagan, I will PM you for your mailing address.

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 03:44 PM

404 correction, he got another one today.

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 03:46 PM
And wasn't today in Wales? It was beautiful wherever it was.

I may just drop pens and turn to cricket.

Yes, the game which started yesterday and will go on until Sunday is in Cardiff, my home town.

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 03:47 PM
And (James Anderson aside) I look forward to receiving MI-10!!

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 03:52 PM

Not to brag, but I know what the 10th wicket is now. Oh yeah.

tiffanyhenschel
July 9th, 2015, 04:05 PM

mhguda
alc3261
fountainpagan
tiffanyhenschel
Crazyorange
FredRydr
Sailor Kenshin

Not to get off topic from the cricket discussion ;) but thank you!!

Crazyorange
July 9th, 2015, 04:08 PM
Woohoo! Thanks.

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 04:38 PM

mhguda
alc3261
fountainpagan
tiffanyhenschel
Crazyorange
FredRydr
Sailor Kenshin

Not to get off topic from the cricket discussion ;) but thank you!!

You are welcome!

P.S. - I hope a little fun discussion on another topic while we wait for the ink is okay with everyone, but still I promise to stop now. :)

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 04:41 PM

Yes, they beat the previous highest "last man out" by 30+runs and really smashed the record.
The match however was a draw, saved from defeat by James & Joe.

alc3261
July 9th, 2015, 04:42 PM

Yes, they beat the previous highest "last man out" by 30+runs and really smashed the record.
The match however was a draw, saved from defeat by James & Joe.

James generally called Jimmy Anderson BTW

Sailor Kenshin
July 9th, 2015, 04:44 PM

mhguda
alc3261
fountainpagan
tiffanyhenschel
Crazyorange
FredRydr
Sailor Kenshin

Woohoo! I've been randomized! :D

Empty_of_Clouds
July 9th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Congrats all, especially fountainpagan (a first timer). Look forward to seeing the reviews.

Sammyo
July 9th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Congrats to the lucky MI'ers I really look forward to seeing you reviews, comments and thoughts :bounce:

sgtstretch
July 9th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Yaya, can't wait to see reviews!

FredRydr
July 9th, 2015, 06:03 PM
So, per list randomizer, MI-10 goes to:...

Woohoo! I've been randomized! :D

Laura's husband insisted the randomizer be moved out of the living room and onto the street.

http://archives.jesuitnola.org/jesdata/Bazaar_McG_Churns_Drum.jpg

Fred

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 06:07 PM
To be fair, it was only when I started randomizing the kids that he got really concerned.

They all began to dread hearing me say things like, "Okay, come to the living room, we need to decide who's going to do the dishes tonight."

Jon Szanto
July 9th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Laura's husband insisted the randomizer be moved out of the living room and onto the street.

http://archives.jesuitnola.org/jesdata/Bazaar_McG_Churns_Drum.jpg

I turned mine into a wind machine!

http://www.czechtourism.com/getmedia/2e49accc-e2b8-46c0-88a4-5d716f161f52/Cesky_Krumlov_divadlo_stroj_na_vitr_l.jpg.aspx?ext =.jpg&crop=1&maxsidesize=1000&width=600&height=400

Neo
July 9th, 2015, 06:46 PM
They all began to dread hearing me say things like, "Okay, come to the living room, we need to decide who's going to do the dishes tonight."

How about a spin to see who gets the last dessert?

mhguda
July 9th, 2015, 06:48 PM
Thank you, Randomizer!

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 07:34 PM
It was just Random.org, she says, sheepishly.

Noting that no one laughed at her joke. :redface:

mhguda
July 9th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Well, however that may be, thanks for again including me, and at the head of the list, no less! Delighted to be part of this one, although for me to understand anything about a cricket match, you'd have to sit down with me while watching and explain everything in the game. I don't think I've ever seen one, even. Only watched as colleagues from the former English colonies would listen to games on the radio and get all excited...

FredRydr
July 9th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Noting that no one laughed at her joke.
Hey, I had to wipe the wipe the food off my monitor.

Fred

naimitsu
July 10th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Congrats to the winners! Enjoy the ink ;)

fountainpagan
July 10th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Yesss!!!!

Thank you Laura. My first victory on a lotary. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

I PM you my adress.

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Noting that no one laughed at her joke. :redface:

In space, no one can hear you laugh. ;)

Chrissy
July 10th, 2015, 11:31 AM
Congratulations winners. :cheer2: I will look forward to seeing the ink reviews

Laura N
July 10th, 2015, 03:14 PM
MI-10 News.

1. All non-US MI-10 samples are in the mail. Some of these I think may take a while, so I'll likely mail the US samples next week. MI gets to go England, Curacao and now, for the first time ever, France.

2. MI is extremely honored to go to France, which MI adores. Unfortunately the USPS made MI remove from the shipping label to France all of the accent marks, plus a comma that it considered to be in the "wrong place" for an address. :facepalm: Désolé!

3. On the bright side, MI-10 just got huge. Huge-er. I decided at the last minute to also send MI-10 to naimitsu and Chrissy. I was mailing something to each of them anyway, and there turned out to be just enough MI-10 to add them, so it's done. This is the Women's World Cup of MI, after all, so it should be huge-est. Chrissy has missed out on the last few of these, and I just remembered that. Sorry, Chrissy. Usually I make sure no one who volunteers is left out for too many MIs in a row; I just didn't remember here. And naimitsu and Sammyo have an entire crew to keep inked up and happy out there in MI's second third favorite state of Michigan.

4. Semi-colon. That is my favorite punctuation mark. I forgot to say. Lucky that I remembered; now everyone can get off those pins and needles.

Jon Szanto
July 10th, 2015, 03:23 PM
http://polyadhawaiitours.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/HugeWaves3.jpg
HUGE IS GOOD

FredRydr
July 10th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Hey, M10 has been delivered and is already in my mailbox! But are you sure it's fountain pen ink?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/16/21660023_c62cb450d6.jpg

Fred

Laura N
July 10th, 2015, 07:12 PM
I did promise a "special wrinkle."

Jon Szanto
July 11th, 2015, 12:02 AM
Hey, M10 has been delivered and is already in my mailbox! But are you sure it's fountain pen ink?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/16/21660023_c62cb450d6.jpg

Fred

Shit. She's sending out Baystate Blue.

fountainpagan
July 11th, 2015, 12:14 AM
Don't worry about the accents, MI-10 will get here, anyhow. The only thing is, the village where I live, with no accents, will be read differently and the meaning is a complete different one: O fagot - is how it will be read.. https://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/mouhahaha.gifhttps://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/mouhahaha.gifhttps://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/mouhahaha.gif

Chrissy
July 11th, 2015, 01:58 AM
MI-10 News.

1. All non-US MI-10 samples are in the mail. Some of these I think may take a while, so I'll likely mail the US samples next week. MI gets to go England, Curacao and now, for the first time ever, France.

2. MI is extremely honored to go to France, which MI adores. Unfortunately the USPS made MI remove from the shipping label to France all of the accent marks, plus a comma that it considered to be in the "wrong place" for an address. :facepalm: Désolé!

3. On the bright side, MI-10 just got huge. Huge-er. I decided at the last minute to also send MI-10 to naimitsu and Chrissy. I was mailing something to each of them anyway, and there turned out to be just enough MI-10 to add them, so it's done. This is the Women's World Cup of MI, after all, so it should be huge-est. Chrissy has missed out on the last few of these, and I just remembered that. Sorry, Chrissy. Usually I make sure no one who volunteers is left out for too many MIs in a row; I just didn't remember here. And naimitsu and Sammyo have an entire crew to keep inked up and happy out there in MI's second third favorite state of Michigan.

4. Semi-colon. That is my favorite punctuation mark. I forgot to say. Lucky that I remembered; now everyone can get off those pins and needles.

Wow thank you so much Laura. :bounce: That's great news! I was disconsolé yesterday after Murray lost to Federer

Darn it, I got the punctuation mark wrong. Oh well.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 11th, 2015, 02:23 AM
I've just realised that if we keep getting new people to join in I will never participate in an MI again. Funny how easy it is to overlook the consequences of even the best intentions. Something for me to consider on the meditation cushion today. Dharma lessons are often unpredictable!

FredRydr
July 11th, 2015, 05:52 AM
Unfortunately the USPS made MI remove from the shipping label to France all of the accent marks, plus a comma that it considered to be in the "wrong place" for an address.

Ah yes, the USPS online small customs form. It took me a long time to finally discover it was an accented vowel (that I thought gave it some class!) was preventing the form from going to the printer. You're lucky to use a comma; the USPS would like to do away with punctuation altogether.

Fred

Laura N
July 11th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Don't worry about the accents, MI-10 will get here, anyhow. The only thing is, the village where I live, with no accents, will be read differently and the meaning is a complete different one: O fagot - is how it will be read.. https://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/mouhahaha.gifhttps://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/mouhahaha.gifhttps://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/mouhahaha.gif

Désolé. :redface:

Laura N
July 11th, 2015, 08:04 AM
Unfortunately the USPS made MI remove from the shipping label to France all of the accent marks, plus a comma that it considered to be in the "wrong place" for an address.

Ah yes, the USPS online small customs form. It took me a long time to finally discover it was an accented vowel (that I thought gave it some class!) was preventing the form from going to the printer. You're lucky to use a comma; the USPS would like to do away with punctuation altogether.

Fred

Yeah, it wouldn't take the comma either. It assumed I was making a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I need that kind of supervision, but in other areas of my life. Like, eating.

caribbean_skye
July 11th, 2015, 08:43 AM

Fred

Yeah, it wouldn't take the comma either. It assumed I was making a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I need that kind of supervision, but in other areas of my life. Like, eating.

How interesting, guess the online form isnt great for long intl addresses.

BTW if anyone stateside has a clue where I can catch a cricket match on the idiot box (tv) please let me know. Windies Supporter here

Laura N
July 11th, 2015, 08:45 AM
She's sending out Baystate Blue.

From the very first Mystery Ink thread: "It won’t be a notoriously high maintenance or controversial ink."

Of course, maybe it's time for a "hey, please don't sue me, I've got kids and dogs to feed" notice and disclaimer: Some MIs will be higher maintenance than others. Every Mystery Ink should be tested carefully. One of the things we're all trying to find out is the MI's behavior. As with all new inks, you just don't know. Don't fill your ivory celluloid Edison or your vintage Omas with any MI, at least not without first trying it in easier-to-clean pens.

Use all the caution and discretion you normally would with any new ink. If you don't normally use caution or discretion, well, don't trade me any pens, but do invite me to your next party, okay?

alc3261
July 11th, 2015, 10:12 AM
We Won!! The 1st Ashes Test!! :)

fountainpagan
July 11th, 2015, 11:46 AM
We Won!! The 1st Ashes Test!! :)

Hi alc , longtime no see. Congratulations, too:)

alc3261
July 11th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Hi there and Thank you.

FredRydr
July 12th, 2015, 04:30 PM
...do invite me to your next party, okay?
It's this coming Saturday in Harrisonburg VA, top pen collectors and vendors planning the DC show. Wanna come? It's for carnivores, too.
CANCELLED. No date set.

Fred

Laura N
July 14th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Mystery Inkers, I have just mailed the US MI-10 samples. I'm guessing they should start appearing in mailboxes worldwide by the end of the week.

Curacao may take longer, alas. :)

mhguda
July 14th, 2015, 11:00 AM
It's fine, I'm glad to be part of it. Will post when it gets here.

fountainpagan
July 17th, 2015, 10:13 AM
Mine just arrived!!

As of tomorrow, the test starts:)

Thank you Laura

Laura N
July 17th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Mine just arrived!!

As of tomorrow, the test starts:)

Thank you Laura

Thanks for letting us know. I think about half will have arrived by the end of today.

The ones that appear to be a little stuck, or at least a little slower, are those to naimitsu, Crazyorange, Fred and mhguda. At least this time the package to Curacao flew out of Miami, so it may be on a more direct route than before. Crazyorange I think may get MI-10 tomorrow. Fred and naimitsu unfortunately have packages that have not left the state of Illinois.

naimitsu
July 17th, 2015, 01:32 PM
The ones that appear to be a little stuck, or at least a little slower, are those to naimitsu, Crazyorange, Fred and mhguda. At least this time the package to Curacao flew out of Miami, so it may be on a more direct route than before. Crazyorange I think may get MI-10 tomorrow. Fred and naimitsu unfortunately have packages that have not left the state of Illinois.

Of course it is... because it's sooooo difficult for packages to get from IL to MI! It's not like they're right next to each other or something! :facepalm:

alc3261
July 17th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Mystery Inkers, I have just mailed the US MI-10 samples. I'm guessing they should start appearing in mailboxes worldwide by the end of the week.

Curacao may take longer, alas. :)

Your Inbox is full by the way.

Scrawler
July 18th, 2015, 07:01 AM
How on earth did I miss this thread? I used to be a left handed bowler. I used to trick the batsman by carrying the ball in my right hand then switch to my left when my back was turned and I was walking for my run up.

tiffanyhenschel
July 18th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Mine is here!

fountainpagan
July 18th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Just a newbie question:

Do I make a new thread for the ink review, or shall I do it on this one?

tiffanyhenschel
July 18th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Just a newbie question:

Do it here. :) (But remember, no public guesses.)

Sailor Kenshin
July 18th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Mine is here!

Mine, too!

naimitsu
July 18th, 2015, 10:47 AM
Just a newbie question:

I've compiled the reviews of the other Mystery Inks on Google Doc. You can take a look at what others have done.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B32BcmbDCq-kfmROSTFPZk9aVHJqNzhFekgyNkNwZ082LUdMcnZpTlBqZGFFd 052N2hFQ28

But basically anything is good with us :)
We just want to hear what you honestly think about the ink!

FredRydr
July 18th, 2015, 12:56 PM
The ink arrived.

I sent $5 via free PayPal to you as a donation and as a thank you for the work and expense to carry out this fun idea. It barely covers the cost of postage, padded envelope and the bottle, let alone the ink that you sent to me. I know how much the MI-9 ink cost you, so this is only fair!

Now that I've embarrassed you, I'll get on with opening the padded envelope. I promise I'll recycle it. ;-)

Fred

Crazyorange
July 18th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Woohoo! Carl and Lloyd arrived. Question...are they single and looking to date?;)

Chrissy
July 19th, 2015, 03:47 AM
Mine arrived a couple of days ago. Thank you Laura :cheers:

fountainpagan
July 19th, 2015, 03:50 AM
I shall list it here, then.
I do not have a scanner, therefore someone is going to scan the all for me tomorrow, hopefully.

tiffanyhenschel
July 19th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I spent the afternoon cleaning and re-inking pens and loaded MI-10s into a couple.

My first impression is of a seashore. Lovely!

naimitsu
July 20th, 2015, 04:42 PM
They're heeeeeeeeerrrrrrrreeeeeee!
Ok, but really, MI #10 was in the mail when I got home :dance3:
And I concur with Tiffany! It definitely reminded me of the sea!

Now to gather the troops and forge ahead with the GKN posse review!

Empty_of_Clouds
July 20th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Someone post a review already!

Getting withdrawal symptoms here... I can hear the ballpoints siren call...

Chrissy
July 21st, 2015, 02:46 AM
I have written a little with both inks. I find them both well-behaved but Lloyd seems wetter. I'm not sure this scan shows perfect representations of both colours, so I will try again later.

More to come

Empty_of_Clouds
July 21st, 2015, 02:52 AM
Ah! Didn't realise there were two inks. Like the shading on the first sample. I would be interested in seeing it in a broad stub or italic.

fountainpagan
July 21st, 2015, 03:47 AM
So, here are my ink tests. Again, tahnk you Laura (and Cryptos for his gentleman's gesture).

Both inks are slightly darker (a half tone darker, more or less) than the scan.

Carlie is a sturdy, undefeatable one.

Lloyd is a fluid tango dancer.

:):)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/311611IMG201507200001.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=311611IMG201507200001.jpg)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/137771IMG201507200002.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=137771IMG201507200002.jpg)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/162343IMG201507200003.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=162343IMG201507200003.jpg)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/661382IMG201507200004.jpg (http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=661382IMG201507200004.jpg)

Empty_of_Clouds
July 21st, 2015, 04:11 AM
Fabulous review!

No need to thank me. You did a way better review than I could have done. Please put your name in the hat for the next one too :)

mhguda
July 21st, 2015, 07:10 AM
Now that I know it's two inks, and of such wonderful shades of blue, it gets even more difficult to wait. And such a wonderful review!
Thanks for doing such a thorough job. Like Cryptos, I hope you will do many more!

Crazyorange
July 21st, 2015, 07:52 AM
Here's Lloyd and Carli (sorry Laura I thought the sample was labeled Carl - eye has been bad lately).
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/6927af4792e6ac637cd4f3b2a1585992.jpg

I found Lloyd to be wet and easy flowing. To me Lloyd is a very conservative color. Non offensive and could be used anywhere. It's sort of boring. I think Lloyd is probably and great ink for letter writing. Easy on the eyes and a wet writer - perfect for letters.

Carli makes Lloyd look good. Lloyd's traditional blue pops against Carli bright hue.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/f17fa23068dd02069709ead257e74fbf.jpg

Carli's color is more of my liking. Bright and cheerful. Carli is a dry ink....something I didn't like. It made it hard to write with and color in on 90lb paper.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/e8297d3514538d8b794f0733d5fd85b1.jpg

I doubt I would buy either ink. I have colors close to carli that are wetter. Lloyd is a bit too traditional for me.

Though I learned a lesson. By using both ink in my favorite pastime (zentangle) lloyds traditional look provides balance to carli's bright look. I believe some of my zentangles would look better with "traditional" colors. Having no art background - I'm realizing the balance between colors is important for a good looking zentangle.

Thanks Laura for your generosity with this MI series.

FredRydr
July 21st, 2015, 08:13 AM
Geez, you guys have all the pretty stuff or organized techniques. Well....

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-C7a5Aa8lkvw/Va5SW_66_-I/AAAAAAAAIuo/BtqkSH8VDT4/s800-Ic42/Lloyd%252526Carli_1.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xnOwgHcbzO8/Va5SXcFuNuI/AAAAAAAAIuo/SGirMVVhy2Q/s800-Ic42/Lloyd%252526Carli_2.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GOxZjX-soF4/Va6rFvEdq8I/AAAAAAAAIvU/BLdrBkULU8E/s800-Ic42/MyBlueInks_2.jpg

I think Carli and I already know one another, or one of her close cousins. Lloyd can be anyone. I'm getting out my blues and see if I can find a match, if not a clone.

Fred

Chrissy
July 21st, 2015, 09:18 AM
I think I might know Carli too, but I have a few bright blue inks like that.

On the other hand I also have plenty of blue inks like Lloyd.

I will do review forms and comparisons. However, I have a couple more things to do first that may take a while. I'm going to post about those in the Lounge......

Laura N
July 21st, 2015, 11:39 AM
All guesses gratefully accepted by PM.

Though of course it's not about the guesses.

In fact, let me give everyone a hint. No, just kidding. :)

Sailor Kenshin
July 21st, 2015, 11:56 AM
Just havin' some fun:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3827/19884601552_2563841cc7_c.jpg

FredRydr
July 21st, 2015, 01:05 PM
Carli has a nicer bouquet than Lloyd, but they both taste pretty bad.

Fred

Laura N
July 21st, 2015, 01:45 PM
Carli?

Lloyd?

FredRydr
July 21st, 2015, 02:32 PM
I submitted my guesses:

Carli - I have no friggin idea.

Lloyd - Heh! Heh! Heh! Not tellin'.

Fred

Sailor Kenshin
July 21st, 2015, 03:52 PM
Now I'm thirsty.

Neo
July 21st, 2015, 03:59 PM
Now I'm thirsty.

Theres alway MB for demonstrator ink....

naimitsu
July 21st, 2015, 04:46 PM
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/received_765136358979.jpeg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/received_765136358979.jpeg.html)
So here's my quick take as I gather up the troops.

Miss Carli is definitely a bright, vibrant color that brings to mind the deep waters of the Aegean Sea. It possesses the rich hue of its depths, but also the flirty brightness of the shallows. It is a fun and eye-catching color that makes me want to write down my flights of fancy!

It is by far my favorite of the two MI 10's.
It flows rather nicely, even though the 1.5mm TWSBI nib has a tendency to be a dry writer.
The shading is fantastic and I have yet to see any feathering issues on the Tomoe River, Apica, and Rhodia papers I have tried it on.

I figure I have more than half a clue of what this color is and have already submitted my guess to Laura!

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Carli.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Carli.jpg.html)

Now Miss Lloyd is another matter. She is all business, but like any femanine person worth their salt, there is a bit of that something extra that makes her more than just another ink!
There is a bit of shading and a definite halo around the lettering. It a solid dark blue that commands your attention. This is not a color to take lightly (um... no pun intended).

It is a very wet writer, even in the gusher of a nib on my Conklin. Despite being a gusher, she is very well behaved and does not make the pen unmanageable, as I have noticed that a distinct lack of feedback makes my handwriting look like a schizophrenic warthog pawing at the paper. Though the flow of the ink did make the pen get away from me at a couple points at the bottom!

As for my guess... not a clue. I tend to veer away from overly professional ink colors as I figure I should have some fun where and when I can!

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Lloyd.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Lloyd.jpg.html)

Laura N
July 21st, 2015, 05:34 PM
Now I'm thirsty.

Theres alway MB for demonstrator ink....

Who can afford that stuff?

tandaina
July 21st, 2015, 06:51 PM
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/received_765136358979.jpeg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/received_765136358979.jpeg.html)
So here's my quick take as I gather up the troops.

Miss Carli is definitely a bright, vibrant color that brings to mind the deep waters of the Aegean Sea. It possesses the rich hue of its depths, but also the flirty brightness of the shallows. It is a fun and eye-catching color that makes me want to write down my flights of fancy!

It is by far my favorite of the two MI 10's.
It flows rather nicely, even though the 1.5mm TWSBI nib has a tendency to be a dry writer.
The shading is fantastic and I have yet to see any feathering issues on the Tomoe River, Apica, and Rhodia papers I have tried it on.

I figure I have more than half a clue of what this color is and have already submitted my guess to Laura!

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Carli.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Carli.jpg.html)

Now Miss Lloyd is another matter. She is all business, but like any femanine person worth their salt, there is a bit of that something extra that makes her more than just another ink!
There is a bit of shading and a definite halo around the lettering. It a solid dark blue that commands your attention. This is not a color to take lightly (um... no pun intended).

It is a very wet writer, even in the gusher of a nib on my Conklin. Despite being a gusher, she is very well behaved and does not make the pen unmanageable, as I have noticed that a distinct lack of feedback makes my handwriting look like a schizophrenic warthog pawing at the paper. Though the flow of the ink did make the pen get away from me at a couple points at the bottom!

As for my guess... not a clue. I tend to veer away from overly professional ink colors as I figure I should have some fun where and when I can!

http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Lloyd.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Lloyd.jpg.html)

There is SHEEN in that second ink! Look at that wild sheen.

tiffanyhenschel
July 22nd, 2015, 10:34 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/313134e566edfcf50b01312bb27c6327.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/585109d523d3cb00fedf9f1dca502873.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/40323718291e83b052462f959c3b28c5.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/3adb39fe50a2eaefd069c85dce2d8cbb.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/22/a3fdace04b3116b13fe4111596e39afe.jpg

Both of these inks are winners for me. Writing mostly with EF and EEF nibs, my tests for useability are a little different than tests for broad and stub nibs. I can use almost any ink and not have bleed through or much feathering, but a lot of inks that look gorgeous in wider nibs end up looking flat and boring coming from my nibs -- or they may look great, but they are dry and scratchy.
Both of these inks are pleasant to use and are strong enough to hold visual interest even from my EF nibs. Bravo for that!
Carli is a bit dry but not uncomfortably so. If I didn't already have multiple bottles of Sheaffer Peacock, I would probably buy a bottle. (Assuming I could find some, which may or may not be feasible.)
Loyd is a pleasant surprise. At first glance, it looks like just another ordinary blue, and I am picky about blue ink. After using it more, especially on white paper, it has grown on me. It has just enough purple to hold my interest, and like Tandaina pointed out, there is sheen in the spots where the ink is heavy. I will be watching this one to see how it behaves in my pen long term. If it is not high maintenance, I will probably try to get a couple of bottles.
The writing sample on the white envelope is of particular interest. This was a cheap, no name brand of envelope that I found when I was cleaning out my home writing studio.

Thanks again, Laura, and all MI participants. I will sit out the next round because I'll be in the midst of back to school preparation, but I hope we can keep this up for a while.

Laura N
July 22nd, 2015, 11:57 AM
Tiffany,

Fantastic, thank you. I love an EF nib myself, and that really does make a difference.

Might I ask: what pen and nib size did you use for Lloyd? One thing I notice about Lloyd, for me, is that even in a dry-writing Lamy Safari with fine nib, Lloyd writes a line that is wider than normal. But your gorgeous writing sample is showing them to be about the same width -- in fact Lloyd may even look tighter.

Maybe it's another sign of our very wet summer? Though now that I think about it I used Lloyd this winter and noticed the same thing.

tiffanyhenschel
July 22nd, 2015, 12:03 PM
Both writing samples are with Edison steel EF stock nibs this time. I haven't used Loyd before this sample, but it didn't feel especially dry or wet in comparison to other inks I've used with that pen.

Laura N
July 22nd, 2015, 12:11 PM
Yes, for me they are both lubricated, and Lloyd is wetter on the page and takes a little longer to dry, but I wouldn't describe it as super wet. The flow is good. It's just super broad-writing, for some reason. I'll try it in some other pens I haven't used before with it.

So much is matching pen and ink. Also, the extra width I get with Lloyd frustrates me, because I like a thinner line, but someone else would prefer a wider line.

And I'm not saying it's not our weather, either. After "the Episode of The Birds," with Hitchcock feathering for some of us and not others on MI9, I figure that probably shouldn't be discounted.

Maybe other people will chime in with their experience.

naimitsu
July 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Lloyd is writing pretty true to width out of my 1.1mm Conklin nib in both the wide and narrow orientations.
No feathering on TR or Apica, though I've only tried them indoors with air conditioning on.
It seems to write as wet as what I've come to expect out of that nib, but I've noticed that it feels much smoother than the other inks I've put through it, and there have been a lot of ink put through this pen!

Edit: I agree with Sailor Kenshin. Carli was very wet for me. The TWSBI nib has always been rather dry, but Carli had no issues with it. The two seemed to be very wet inks for me.

Sailor Kenshin
July 22nd, 2015, 01:24 PM
People have been saying that Carli is dry, but not in my Rotring Artpen with its 1.1 nib. Maybe I have a magic pen. As for Lloyd? 'Agent 440' doesn't seem to get along with this ink. Yet Lloyd flows wet and free in the Papermate.

The paper I used for this review was Staples Bagasse. I see the same thing on other papers, though.

Laura N
July 23rd, 2015, 07:46 PM
Inspired by Tiffany, I put Lloyd in two other pens.

Pen Number Two is a modern Pelikan with medium stub. I am still getting a wider than normal line, but nothing compared to the Safari. I might not even have noticed it if I hadn't been looking. But it does write wider than most inks I use in that pen.

Pen Number Three is an Edison with a custom extra-fine from Mike Masuyama, so a very fine and slightly dry nib. This is a fantastic combination. It holds the extra-fine line very nicely, and even shades a bit. I really like Lloyd with this pen. Thanks, Tiffany!

In all pens, even the Safari, it continues to flow well: there is hesitation on start-up, and it feels nicely lubricated, but there's no gushing out either.

tiffanyhenschel
July 23rd, 2015, 08:44 PM
It is harder to find inks that look really good with EF nibs, and I think this is where Loyd shines.

fountainpagan
July 24th, 2015, 03:33 AM
I quite agree with Tiffany (your handwriting is beautiful, by the way). I too use mainly F and EF nibs.
Lloyd is not extraordinary with a firm EF nib. I have used it, now, with an F vintage flexible, and the nuances are more obvious. But, it is still a little boring ink.

Carlie is dryer on quite textured, and porous papers, at least I found it so.

Now, do I have to send my guess by MP, or do I post it here? And what is the rule, only one guess, or several possiblities? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Laura N
July 24th, 2015, 05:12 AM
Now, do I have to send my guess by MP, or do I post it here? And what is the rule, only one guess, or several possiblities? Thank you in advance for your answers.

Yes, PM or email me with any guesses. That's the only "rule," just to keep it from spoiling it for others who haven't yet used the ink. You can send me one guess or more, whatever you like. :)

Sailor Kenshin
July 24th, 2015, 07:59 AM
And be sure to guess the opposite of me, because I am ALWAYS wrong. ;)

sgtstretch
July 24th, 2015, 08:12 AM

Opposite you say? It doesn't look like Noodler's Dragon Napalm, but maybe the color profile is wrong on my computer.

Laura N
July 24th, 2015, 08:43 AM

I would be wrong every time, too. I'm going to go with that meaning we're both very creative. Or the type of dreamer who wants the world to be as we wish it were, not as it is. :)

I tell you I looked at the early photos and scans of Lloyd -- which I own -- and I said, hmmm, I wonder if those are off because I swear it's a different color for me. Only to ink up Lloyd and see I get the very same color. Of course.

fountainpagan
July 24th, 2015, 10:44 AM

https://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/Q_LAUG%7E1.GIFhttps://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/Q_LAUG%7E1.GIFThat doesn't forcebly mean all the others are right.https://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Content/0107.gif

Ok. Thank you Laura. I shall do so, opposite to Sailor, then.https://smileys.surlatoile.org/repository/Rires/Q_LAUG%7E1.GIF

FredRydr
July 24th, 2015, 05:27 PM

Well then, I'll guess they're both Waterman black.

Fred

Chrissy
July 26th, 2015, 04:46 AM
I have finally managed to write out a couple of review forms for Carli and Lloyd. Sorry to have taken a while but our all in one printer/scanner only does printing on the new iMac. So I'm having to scan documents in on my old PC then transfer them across.

Anyway, I like both of these inks, but I prefer Lloyd. I think I may already have Lloyd, but if I don't, I would consider buying it as it's a lovely ink to use. Carli is a great colour with super shading, but I find it a bit dryer writing across the page. It's also a colour type I would use. I just love all blue inks!

reprieve
July 26th, 2015, 10:59 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/21/6927af4792e6ac637cd4f3b2a1585992.jpg

Seeing these inks side by side, I'm impressed by how well they compliment each other. That's especially evident in Crazyorange's drawings! I like them better together than on their own.

Crazyorange
July 26th, 2015, 01:36 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/26/ff923813ff87a154149715526479ea73.jpg

It's funny you mention how good the inks look together....I created another zentangle with the colors. They are pretty together.

I did an informal water test. My sweaty glass of water dripped on the paper. It failed.

Laura N
July 26th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Some people like waterproof, some people like easy cleanup. As one of the latter, I wouldn't say "failed." :)

tiffanyhenschel
July 26th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Some people like waterproof, some people like easy cleanup. As one of the latter, I wouldn't say "failed." :)
This is so true, and that's one of the benefits of multiple opinions of an ink.

For me, it depends on what I want the ink for. My daily users have to be drip resistant but not waterproof. I like a nearly waterproof ink for occasional signatures and addresses etc. For the rest, easy cleanup and maintenance is a strong consideration.

Laura N
July 28th, 2015, 05:01 PM
MI is not forgotten. I hope all is well with everyone. I think we are waiting for two people to try MI-10, if my count is correct. I am not sure if it's even reached Curacao yet, but when it does perhaps we'll learn if either blue matches the Caribbean. I almost envy this ink its travel schedule.

Also I haven't reported, but then I always leave my thingy till the end. No one cares anyway. :) I know what it is. :)

Thankfully it's almost time for the Ashes again.

FredRydr
July 28th, 2015, 05:05 PM
...I always leave my thingy till the end. No one cares anyway. :) I know what it is. :)

Um...okay.

Fred

tiffanyhenschel
July 28th, 2015, 05:07 PM
MI is not forgotten. I hope all is well with everyone. I think we are waiting for two people to try MI-10, if my count is correct. I am not sure if it's even reached Curacao yet, but when it does perhaps we'll learn if either blue matches the Caribbean. I almost envy this ink its travel schedule.

Also I haven't reported, but then I always leave my thingy till the end. No one cares anyway. :) I know what it is. :)

Thankfully it's almost time for the Ashes again.
We do care about your opinions and experiences with the ink!

Laura N
July 28th, 2015, 05:25 PM
I just meant, for me it's not a mystery. :) So I'm kind of sheepish about offering my opinions.

Okay, I'm sheepish anyway. Nevermind. :)

Empty_of_Clouds
July 28th, 2015, 06:34 PM
Baaa, of course your opinion matters, especially to us ink newbies.

alc3261
July 28th, 2015, 06:42 PM
I am back home from London so I can post an impression of MI 10 tomorrow.

mhguda
July 28th, 2015, 10:27 PM
I do not have the ink yet. I will post when it reaches me, so that everyone can know it's reached me.
They do sound like nice inks to play with, and I'm very curious to try them side by side.
I'm pretty sure though that both can be found in the spectrum of blues that surround us here - it is amazing to see how many colors can be found in the sea!

Laura N
July 29th, 2015, 06:32 AM
You can't hurry the mail. No you just have to wait. It's a game of give and take.

Sailor Kenshin
July 29th, 2015, 07:25 AM
I just got up and danced.

fountainpagan
July 29th, 2015, 08:41 AM
Laura N please tell us your impressions. It is not because you know the mistery's key that your impressions will be influenced by it, no?:)

FredRydr
July 29th, 2015, 12:25 PM
Lloyd and Carli have eloped from my ink box (i.e., all gone); I'm back to Waterman's generic blue.

Fred

P.S. Has anyone run those pen sample bottles through a dishwasher?

alc3261
July 29th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Day 1 Third test, going well so far.......

mhguda
July 29th, 2015, 01:53 PM
My inks are here... Testing will probably start tomorrow or the day after that. I have a friend visiting from overseas so time for inks is a bit limited. But will do my best.

Laura N
July 29th, 2015, 02:17 PM
My inks are here... Testing will probably start tomorrow or the day after that. I have a friend visiting from overseas so time for inks is a bit limited. But will do my best.

Good news! And take your time. It's just for fun. Your friend is more important. :)

naimitsu
July 29th, 2015, 03:32 PM

Good news! And take your time. It's just for fun. Your friend is more important. :)

Oh good. Due to scheduling conflicts, tomorrow is the posse meet and I was afraid that the Pen Posse review here was going to be up after the reveal!

Chrissy
July 29th, 2015, 03:38 PM
You can't hurry the mail. No you just have to wait. It's a game of give and take.

You got to trust give it time, no matter how long it takes...

It's one of my favourite sing along to songs.:)

sharmon202
July 29th, 2015, 07:53 PM
Like it.

caribbean_skye
July 29th, 2015, 08:02 PM
ok laura i just pm'ed you my guesses

alc3261
July 30th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Some writing with MI10 on Tomoe River paper

Laura N
August 2nd, 2015, 01:20 PM
I am trying out a new thing for me, which is blogging. I was inspired to try it by Michael (MY63), who began blogging last week. So, I just started this, and I literally have no idea what I'm doing, but so far I have found it useful for one thing: I have posted my report on MI-10 there. This way, anyone who wants to read it can, but it won't get in the way of mhguda, who had to wait so long for MI-10.

Here is a link to my report (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/08/02/mystery-ink-no-10-report/), which (spoiler) still keeps the names of the inks secret. :)

Sailor Kenshin
August 2nd, 2015, 01:27 PM
I couldn't look...but I DID look at your pen/ink of the day...wow. What a gorgeous combo!

Happy bloggage, O Queen of Ink-stery!

tiffanyhenschel
August 2nd, 2015, 01:56 PM
What a nice review, Laura! I am generally not a fan of blue and see it more as a "necessary evil," it these are nice ones. If Lloyd is available, I will get some.
It won't replace the OS Blue Merle that I use as a daily writer, but it is perfect for an extra pop of color when you still want to be traditional. (At least that's how in see it.)

Chrissy
August 2nd, 2015, 03:48 PM
I am trying out a new thing for me, which is blogging. I was inspired to try it by Michael (MY63), who began blogging last week. So, I just started this, and I literally have no idea what I'm doing, but so far I have found it useful for one thing: I have posted my report on MI-10 there. This way, anyone who wants to read it can, but it won't get in the way of mhguda, who had to wait so long for MI-10.

Here is a link to my report (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/08/02/mystery-ink-no-10-report/), which (spoiler) still keeps the names of the inks secret. :)

I read it, and I found it really well laid out and especially interesting. Well done you!

reprieve
August 2nd, 2015, 04:51 PM

That was a great write-up, Laura! Thanks for sharing your blog with us. I bookmarked it and am looking forward to following along.

fountainpagan
August 2nd, 2015, 05:08 PM
I read it, tried ti leave a comment but had to be a member of wordpress. Might as well do it here.

Very interesting revue, and the Aurora blues look very interesting.

Well done, Laura. Happy and long blogging.:)

Jon Szanto
August 2nd, 2015, 06:11 PM

u rite gud. i am happy when i read ur wurds.

ThirdeYe
August 2nd, 2015, 09:01 PM
It's probably too late for this one, but count me in for the next one! :)

migo984
August 2nd, 2015, 09:38 PM
From a purely selfish point of view I'm a bit sad you're posting your report on MI10 somewhere other than FPG. It means I won't see your opinion as I don't read blogs. There are so very many zillions of them out there, many so badly written & egotistical. So I avoid blogs. I always forget to re-visit them anyway, or just get annoyed at getting spammy email reminders. I know - it's my own darn fault if I miss out, but there you have it 😳

However, I'm sure yours is excellent Laura & I wish you luck with it. 😊

dannzeman
August 2nd, 2015, 09:51 PM

Fantastic post, Laura! Count me in as a regular visitor to your site!

FredRydr
August 5th, 2015, 05:13 AM
...Here is a link to my report (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/08/02/mystery-ink-no-10-report/)....

Laura, you should sell ink at the DC pen show. You'd move a ton.

Fred

Laura N
August 5th, 2015, 06:46 AM
...Here is a link to my report (http://fountainpenfollies.com/2015/08/02/mystery-ink-no-10-report/)....

Laura, you should sell ink at the DC pen show. You'd move a ton.

Fred

I am in talks to acquire the Midwest distribution rights of a prestigious brand's Limited Edition Demonstrator Ink. But DC isn't in my territory. :)

mhguda
August 5th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Everyone, thanks for your immense patience. I have finally received the inks, loaded up two pens, and written a little with them.
Here are my reviews. I've held back reading Laura's blog so as not to be too overwhelmed... will dive in later today!

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1438778397__mi10_thoughts001.jpg

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1438778441__mi10_thoughts002.jpg

Hopefully, people can read my handwritten notes. I will just summarize:
First off, I think I'm one of the few that prefer Lloyd. A nice, darkish blue, very well-behaved and on the wet side, but not too wet. I used an inexpensive Indian notebook, not my favorite paper, but FP friendly, and found no feathering or spread, no bleeding or ghosting, and the ink flowed consistently well. There was also no sheen and virtually no shading, but for this ink, I don't miss it. I really like this color! If it is reasonably priced I will get a bottle, once the big reveal is done - unless I already have one. It reminded me of several in my stable but may be slightly different. I will PM my guess(es).
The Carli, while also a very well-behaved ink, in that it showed no feathering, spreading, bleeding or ghosting, and initially flowed nicely wet too - but then it seemed to dry up a bit. It's not reverted to wetter flow (yet). It also has no sheen, but when it started to dry up some shading emerged, which I guess is nice. However, on the whole, I find this ink slightly too light. I like my blues darker, and while I have some turquoises and teals, I tend to add some darkening inks to them. This one too I had a feeling I have seen it before, but the behavior throws me. Still, I will PM my guess. Who knows? The drying up may be an artifact of the (new) pen!

That's my contribution. Thanks again for having me, and thanks for your patience while my samples made their slow way to me...

Laura N
August 5th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I think I get to post the reveal soon, right? I think everyone has gotten a chance to use it?

I had my kids at the dentist yesterday and guess who was on the cover of one of the magazines they had lying around? Yes, MI-10's own Carli Lloyd. And some of her teammates! I had to snap a phone photo for the thread. :)

You know what I loved? She mentioned in the article that it was kind of neat that all of a sudden she was getting so much attention after the World Cup. Because on a team of stars, she'd never really been the star, never been the focus of the media, sponsors or anyone. But now she had earned the awards and accolades, and it was because of her play. And I'd add, her hard work and focus, which is inspiring to read about. Love her!

Laura N
August 5th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Alright, reveal time.

First, I have to say that there is never any attempt to choose a “hard” or obscure ink for MI. Just an ink that might be interesting. However, the two inks used for MI-10 are the most well-known inks ever. I would even describe them as “oft-reviewed.” Possibly as “popular.” So I was pretty sure “everyone” would guess them. I hope that is okay.

But, imagine Jon’s drum roll right here and now, folks, because Carli is Pelikan Edelstein Topaz and Lloyd is Diamine Blue Velvet.

And we had at least two correct guesses. Who guessed Carli? None other than mhguda, who had it for the least amount of time, and wasn’t quite certain because Carli was in a new pen. Very good job! A few folks used Edelstein Topaz as a comparison in their Carli reviews, but they either didn’t submit a guess, or they guessed a different ink. But that’s still very good ink recognition! So if you’re one of those folks, pat yourselves on the back, too. And that leaves Lloyd. Who guessed Lloyd? I am pleased to say it’s our loyal never-fails-to-submit-a-guess Neo. Also, almost, naimitsu. Naimitsu actually guessed something else for Lloyd, but did say as an aside that “it looked like Diamine Blue Velvet.” Yes, it did. :) Excellent work, everyone!

Some of the other guesses were especially interesting to me. I was told by two people — and I do believe it — that Lloyd/Blue Velvet is a dead ringer for Private Reserve Lake Placid Blue. So there you have it. They probably behave differently, but I am told that Blue Velvet and Private Reserve Lake Placid look like twins. Apart from Lake Placid, we had a lot of other Private Reserve guesses for Lloyd. Because Private Reserve has a lot of killer blues. Very good choice, I think: Lloyd/Blue Velvet does have that saturated/sheening quality you see in many Private Reserve blue inks.

Of course, all of the guesses were excellent, and thank you to those who PM'd me the guesses.

I hope people enjoyed using the inks and following along with the thread.

Finally, our MI ink ninja reprieve very kindly donated a bottle of Topaz for Mystery Ink. Thank you!

Sailor Kenshin
August 5th, 2015, 04:40 PM
Blue Velvet: well-named; it writes like velvet. But actually, this WAS a day at the beach. And what better way to spend your summer vacation?

Bravo and kudos to the Mystery Queen and the Correct Guessers alike!

Chrissy
August 5th, 2015, 04:48 PM
Well that is a surprise. Well done to everyone who guessed correctly. :clap2:

And thank you reprieve for your kind donation to MI. :thank_you2:

I have just bought Pelikan Edelstein Topaz because I really liked the look of it, but as yet I haven't inked up one of my pens with it, and in my review I even used Diamine Blue Velvet as one of my comparison inks for Lloyd! At the time I thought to myself that's a dead ringer for Lloyd, but decided to just keep quiet about it.

Chrissy
August 5th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Thanks Laura for another great MI. :cheer2:

Laura N
August 5th, 2015, 05:12 PM
in my review I even used Diamine Blue Velvet as one of my comparison inks for Lloyd! At the time I thought to myself that's a dead ringer for Lloyd, but decided to just keep quiet about it.

Ha, yes it was a dead ringer. You and naimitsu both thought so. :) Good job!

Laura N
August 5th, 2015, 05:14 PM
I didn't say this before, but I know that one of our MI-10 volunteers owns Blue Velvet. Because when the ink was first released, that kind person sent me a sample. Leading me to buy it with klp back then. And thus leading to its use in MI-10. :)

caribbean_skye
August 5th, 2015, 05:43 PM
ha! i already own carli, one less ink i have to buy. Lloyd however is on my list.

sgtstretch
August 5th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I just picked up a sample of PE Topaz. I think I'll be getting a bottle soon too. I really like the ink.

migo984
August 5th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Great reveal Laura. Very funny actually :)

I haven't been following MIs much recently but popped in to see the reveal for this one. Ah, the vagaries of inks! Never fail to amuse/surprise/delight/confound/bemuse/irritate.

tiffanyhenschel
August 5th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Thanks again, Laura. I have never used Diamond Blue Velvet, or even seen it before as far as I know, so I would never have guessed.
I am surprised about the Edelstein ink, though. It looks and behaves just like the MB Blue Diamond I used a couple years ago.

I will skip the Edelstein, but I will very likely pick up a bottle of the Diamine.

FredRydr
August 5th, 2015, 07:04 PM
I'm gonna get me sum o' dat Blue Velvet. Makes my other blues look boring! 'Cept Lake Placid.

Fred

migo984
August 5th, 2015, 08:27 PM
I gave away a bottle of Blue Velvet. It's OK, but not outstanding. I didn't like the dull flat spots as it dried. There are other much more lively, sparkling blues.

Crazyorange
August 5th, 2015, 08:34 PM
Thank you reprieve for donating Carli.

I'm thinking I need carli in my collection. It's just so pretty.

Thank you Laura for a great MI.

mhguda
August 5th, 2015, 10:11 PM
Thanks for a great reveal Laura, and hey! I'm glad I guessed Topaz right, even if it's too light for my taste.
I actually have a bottle, a present from a traveling cousin, I used it once or twice and found the color too light... so added some darkening ink, and some flow helper to improve the flow! That mix is currently in a pen.
I will probably use the bottle the same way...
And I've added Blue Velvet to my must buy short list...

Empty_of_Clouds
August 5th, 2015, 11:35 PM
Thanks to Laura again for another entertaining Mystery Ink, and of course to all the competitors who did such a great job of reviewing it!

alc3261
August 6th, 2015, 03:00 AM
I do own both of these inks. I thought Lloyd was Blue Velvet but I was off the mark in my guess for Carli - I'll have to try my Edelstein Topaz again!!

FredRydr
August 6th, 2015, 06:24 AM
Is there a gender split as to which is favored, Topaz or Blue Velvet?

Fred (vote: Blue Velvet)

Laura N
August 6th, 2015, 06:53 AM
Is there a gender split as to which is favored, Topaz or Blue Velvet?

Fred (vote: Blue Velvet)

Not from what I can see. :)

I think a lot of people liked Blue Velvet, though.

FredRydr
August 6th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Bertram's doesn't have Blue Velvet for the DC show. I'm awaiting word whether it's discontinued or just out of stock.

Fred

P.S. It's just out of stock.

Neo
August 6th, 2015, 09:24 AM
Bertram's doesn't have Blue Velvet for the DC show. I'm awaiting word whether it's discontinued or just out of stock.

Fred

Fred, have you tried calling the Andersons?

Laura N
August 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM

Fred

I don't think it's out of the lineup. It just came out in late 2014 as one of the 150th Anniversary inks, and it's on Diamine's website here (http://diamineinks.co.uk/listings.aspx?catid=86). One of the other 150th Anniversary inks was the first Mystery Ink -- Tropical Green. :)

Boy, Diamine sure has a lot of ink. Bless them. :)

Crazyorange
August 6th, 2015, 04:11 PM

Every addict needs their dealer.

Neo
August 6th, 2015, 04:17 PM

Every addict needs their dealer.

?!:typing:

naimitsu
August 7th, 2015, 06:19 AM
PE Topaz was Carli? We have a bottle of that stuff and we didn't think it was... I wonder if there are significant enough variations between batches to make such a different in writing? I'm going to have to retry our bottle with the same pen/nib combination I did for MI-10 for a 1-to-1 compare...

As for Lloyd... I should have taken a harder look at Blue Velvet. I actually did do a page of ink comparisons at the posse meet (which BTw I will try to post up the review before the end of the weekend... would have done it sooner, but work got in the way!) and they looked exactly the same. SMH!

fountainpagan
August 7th, 2015, 07:15 AM
I don't have any of them;
None of my guesses were right:pound:.

I will use Lloyd,more than Carli (or perhaps for drawing).

Thank you LauraN for this moment of fun.

Congratulations mhguda.

Sammyo
August 7th, 2015, 10:01 AM
Darn you MI!!!!!

When I tried Carli, I thought PE Topaz, but didn't say anything because it is too availale and thought that it must be something else!!!!!

As for Lloyd... I like Lloyd a lot... it is the ink I was trying to get when I brought the De Atramentis Sapphire Blue, which is another nice well behaved dark blue, but didn't have quite as much sheen as I was hoping. I will now have to convince my wife that I need another bottle of dark blue ink that she will say is the same as the one I already have. I will have to find a loophole somewhere... thinking cap is on.

Edit: Full disclosure, due to the lovely sheen of Lloyd, I was convinced it was a Sailor or possibly a Sailor Bung Box ink.

Chrissy
August 7th, 2015, 10:09 AM
Darn you MI!!!!!

When I tried Carli, I thought PE Topaz, but didn't say anything because it is too availale and thought that it must be something else!!!!!

As for Lloyd... I like Lloyd a lot... it is the ink I was trying to get when I brought the De Atramentis Sapphire Blue, which is another nice well behaved dark blue, but didn't have quite as much sheen as I was hoping. I will now have to convince my wife that I need another bottle of dark blue ink that she will say is the same as the one I already have. I will have to find a loophole somewhere... thinking cap is on.

Edit: Full disclosure, due to the lovely sheen of Lloyd, I was convinced it was a Sailor or possibly a Sailor Bung Box ink.

I think you should be able to persuade your wife that this ink is completely different to your others.

Lloyd or Diamine Blue Velvet, to give it it's real name, wrote like a Sailor or a Sailor Bung Box ink when I tested it. It was certainly like velvet with a sheen.

migo984
August 7th, 2015, 02:35 PM

Diamine and Sailor inks are like chalk and cheese to me. They are so characteristically different and their composition & dye mixes also behave very differently. Even when a Diamine ink does manage a sheen, it's somehow one dimensional. I do enjoy a handful of their inks, but only 1 would make it into my top 20. Of course, everyone has their favourite brands so YMMV.

Laura N
August 8th, 2015, 06:31 AM
And England regains the Ashes!

Chrissy
August 8th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Well done England. :cheer2:

Laura N
August 10th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Hey, everyone, just a brief status note. I normally start the next MI right away, but I'm going to hold off with MI-11. With people in the midst of vacation and summer activities, it's a busy time for us all, and probably not the best timing for MI-11. If you've got kids, it's back-to-school time, and if you don't it's probably travel time. Not to mention those big pen shows coming up!

So happy end-of-summer to one and all. Enjoy. MI-11 will see you in a few weeks.

ETA: I didn't mean to overlook our MI participants in the Southern Hemisphere. So for them, warm wishes for a happy end-of-winter. :)

Sailor Kenshin
August 10th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Well-done, Laura. One final addition to the MI-10 Experience: I did read your review at last! Which reminded me I had neglected to run a chroma, so I did a quickie here.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/476/20468357265_67bc9fb0f2_c.jpg

These two were inks I might never have tried, though 'Carli' is a color right up my alley, and if I were buying an Edelstein it would be this 'n. I didn't notice the dryness many people mentioned, but the Rotring Artpen might be a garden hose.

Loved working with 'Lloyd.' It glides in the pens I used, I see lavender and turquoise notes in the chroma. Oddly enough, 'Lloyd' seemed to have an affinity for my fingers like no other ink...ie: every time I opened the vial, some of it leapt onto them. ;)

Thanks once again, and have a great what's-left-of the summer.

naimitsu
August 10th, 2015, 06:21 PM
So it has taken me an extra week to get these up... but here's the GKN Posse review. And before I post...

Disclaimer: We were heavily under the influence of good NY-style pizza, good beer, and Black Country comedy!

And without further ado...
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Side-by-Side.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Side-by-Side.jpg.html)
http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy41/naimitsu/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Comparisons.jpg (http://s776.photobucket.com/user/naimitsu/media/Fountain%20Pen%20Stuff/MI10_Comparisons.jpg.html)

FredRydr
August 11th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Wow! That's great blue coverage, naimitsu!

Fred

FredRydr
August 16th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I was cleaning pens today along with the two containers that held the Lloyd and the Carli inks. Lloyd came clean, but Carli just hung in there, leaving the container stained. I haven't tried hot water or cleaners yet, but it's worth noting Carli's stubborn side.

Fred

mhguda
August 16th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I think my vial of Carli came clean with dish soap and warmish water. Since I put it in a non-transparent barrel dropper-filled pen, I can't tell yet if there's any staining, but I doubt it. The little plastic vial it came in cleaned out with little effort. The ink window of the pen it is in does show a little color, we'll see if it cleans out.

Laura N
August 16th, 2015, 04:09 PM
I was cleaning pens today along with the two containers that held the Lloyd and the Carli inks. Lloyd came clean, but Carli just hung in there, leaving the container stained. I haven't tried hot water or cleaners yet, but it's worth noting Carli's stubborn side.

Fred

I could only find an old sample of Carli, aka Pelikan Edelstein Topaz. One that's at least a year old, but probably more. So I took that vial with the Topaz sample, rinsed out the ink with plain water, then rinsed it out with soapy water and shook it. Several times. Here is what my old ink vial looks like now after that cleaning.

Those are deposits.

Let me say that Topaz has always cleaned out very easily for me from actual pens.

I still consider it low-maintenance. But it sure doesn't seem to like that plastic material. Luckily it comes in a glass ink bottle. :)

Chrissy
August 16th, 2015, 04:14 PM
Hmm this is unexpected. I have some Topaz left so I will see how it cleans out when I use my ink cleaning sachets

Laura N
August 16th, 2015, 04:19 PM
It does clean very easily from pens. :) Don't want to freak anyone out.

The ink vials, though.... Yikes. I'm going to soak it overnight. It's not a crust, and might scrub out, but I'm all about the least effort. :)

Laura N
August 16th, 2015, 04:21 PM
On the bright side, looks like I've got a good vial to use next time I send Jon an ink sample. :)

Chrissy
August 16th, 2015, 04:24 PM
On the bright side, looks like I've got a good vial to use next time I send Jon an ink sample. :)

Every cloud....... LOL

Laura N
August 17th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Good news. Soaking did nothing, but a light swoosh with a pipe cleaner took those deposits right off.

Sailor Kenshin
August 17th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Good news. Soaking did nothing, but a light swoosh with a pipe cleaner took those deposits right off.

People have been talking about Higgins, Speedball, and Rapido- Eze pen cleaner. I had some, but foolishly gave it away. There's one in my Amazon cart as we speak.

fqgouvea
August 17th, 2015, 01:16 PM

I wonder if this behavior has something to do with the way the ink can change color if it stays in a pen for a while. It gets distinctly darker after a while.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Laura N
August 17th, 2015, 01:47 PM

I wonder if this behavior has something to do with the way the ink can change color if it stays in a pen for a while. It gets distinctly darker after a while.

I thought it may have to do with the plastic used in the ink vial, but that makes sense, too. Whatever made up that precipitate is a much darker blue than the actual ink. It's almost like there was a reaction of something with something, like when iron rusts or copper oxidizes and turns green over time.

My particular sample had been in that vial for at least a year. Once I abandoned passive water soaks, and actually used an abrasive (pipe cleaner), it cleaned up with the merest touch. I could have used a paper towel or even my finger instead -- in fact some rubbed off on my finger when I accidentally touched it. The vial was left perfectly clear, too, with no staining. So I'm not going to worry.

A lot of us have used the ink now, and I don't think anyone has had cleaning issues with an actual pen, and to me that's what matters.

But it was a cool thing to see! Fun! And it's a good reminder not to leave a pen inked for years. :)

Chrissy
August 17th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Thanks for that. I had no problem cleaning out my sample tube or my pen either. :)

Chrissy
August 17th, 2015, 03:21 PM

Many inks become darker the longer they stay in a pen.

FredRydr
August 17th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I used Cristi in a converter, so when I clean that pen, I'll compare the converter plastic to the vial plastic.

I was serious when I asked in another thread if anyone has cleaned their ink vials in a dishwasher. I have a little basket for the dishwasher that the vials and their caps cannot escape out of.

Fred

naimitsu
August 22nd, 2015, 10:08 PM
Carli cleaned out of the TWSBI without any issues. I didn't even need to use any cleaning solution.

FredRydr
August 25th, 2015, 04:21 PM
I flushed my two identical converters (both from Edison) with plain tap water. Cristi left a very light blue hue on the converter after lots and lots of piston cycles; Lloyd came clean. I shall drop the former into the next ammonia/detergent pen parts bath.

Fred