PDA

View Full Version : Who can correct/restore a Pelikan M600 ('96-2003)

KBeezie
July 6th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Who can do restores or repairs of modern Pelikans (ie: M600, 1997-2003 model, 2-chick cap, when they first made em bigger).

Two 'issues' that doesn't seem to affect performance but more cosmetic/feel.

Got it in trade but wondering what my options are.

Piston was stiff, but a little grease fixed that. The barrel has some bumps/ripples/warpage right where the piston sits when it's fully retracted position and the piston knob seems to be off centered , like flushed to one side and barrel sticking out the other side.

http://i.imgur.com/jShSU85.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/IU7v4Yt.jpg

Jeph
July 7th, 2015, 06:14 AM
As far as I know that repair is not possible without rebuilding the pen from donor parts.
I hoped not to be the one to say it, but I also don't want you to think that we are ignoring you.
:(

KBeezie
July 11th, 2015, 04:48 PM
As far as I know that repair is not possible without rebuilding the pen from donor parts.
I hoped not to be the one to say it, but I also don't want you to think that we are ignoring you.
:(

Having messed with it a few days, it seems purely cosmetic, the bump on the barrel are just bumps on the surface after looking it up and down, and that leaves the piston knob being off-centered the only majorly noticeable cosmetic imperfection. While it's decent for size and weight, I like my M640 better (also with a Medium nib, but an 18K one, which is a little sharper on the corners and a little drier), may just sell the M600 cheap to make up for the fact it has an off-centered (but straight) piston knob. It's probably because I like how the 18K M on my M640 leans more towards fine than an actual medium the 14K on the M600 seems to represent. (that and because, I'm just picky I guess, may as well pass the savings onto someone else).

mhosea
July 11th, 2015, 05:17 PM
The striations are a facade, not the surface of the cylinder that contains the ink. If you want it fixed, though, you can contact Chartpak and ask them. They will actually just replace the entire barrel. I paid about $137 or so early this year, including return shipping, to have the entire barrel assembly replaced on an M800. Unfortunately, they won't just sell you a barrel at that price and let you do it.

KBeezie
July 15th, 2015, 12:17 AM
The striations are a facade, not the surface of the cylinder that contains the ink. If you want it fixed, though, you can contact Chartpak and ask them. They will actually just replace the entire barrel. I paid about $137 or so early this year, including return shipping, to have the entire barrel assembly replaced on an M800. Unfortunately, they won't just sell you a barrel at that price and let you do it.

It's non-issue now as I ended up selling the pen to a new owner happy to have it the way it is, least I got more back than the asking price of the pen I traded for it (was asking 130 on the #3776 Pur, got the M600 in trade for it, cleaned it up and tuned the nib, and sold the M600 for 180 + shipping).

pajaro
August 5th, 2015, 10:15 AM
If you got the pen secondhand, and if Chartpak knew that, I doubt that they would do a repair even for money. Chartpak refused to re-adhere the section on my M400 White Tortoise, and explicitly wrote me in an email that they wouldn't repair a pen bought used even for a fee. Their repair policy is only for original owners, or so they wrote to me. I would say just tell them you bought the pen new.

KBeezie
August 12th, 2015, 07:10 PM
If you got the pen secondhand, and if Chartpak knew that, I doubt that they would do a repair even for money. Chartpak refused to re-adhere the section on my M400 White Tortoise, and explicitly wrote me in an email that they wouldn't repair a pen bought used even for a fee. Their repair policy is only for original owners, or so they wrote to me. I would say just tell them you bought the pen new.

In the comment above yours, I mentioned I sold the pen.