PDA

View Full Version : Pen bag

Crazyorange
July 6th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I'm dedicating this thread to an amazing artist, Michael, who create my dream pen case.

Since getting into the fountain pen world, I've wanted to use my pens as much as possible. Thus, I fell into zentangles and then into sketching. I like keeping up to 18 pens inked to provide diversity to the drawings. I'm lazy....I draw on the couch or a lounge chair on the deck.

In the beginning I stored my pens in a cloth pen wrap. I found the pens could be easily disturbed and then fall out when the wrap was unrolled. Especially when laying on the couch. Some pens ended up between the cushions.

Then I tried a Franklin christoph 40 pen case. The elastic would hold the pens firmly, which was great. When switching between several pens, the elastic loops were not easy to use. So I would got lazy and laid the pens in the case. If the case got moved....the loose pens fell out.

I realized I needed something between the wrap and the FC pen case. I approached Michael with my dilemma. He came up with the great idea of the "pen bag". It would hold 20 pens and stand upright. The bag could hold other odds and ends.....which is great as I am utilizing water colors in the zentangles.

With much excitement the package with the final product arrived on Friday. Here's the package. Michael even created a box for the bag.

After opening the box, the bag was wrapped in paper with a note and a key to lock the bag. Michaels daughter created a beautiful FOB for the key.

Seeing the bag in person...it was even more beautiful. The blue is very rich with the pop of pink.

You can see the pen slots. Plus there's extra room for all the "things".

This pic is for Jon S......grumpy bear jumped in and found it comfortable.

Here it is loaded up with my current rotation.

The bag has created a safe place for my pens while also keeping me organized. What surprised me most about the bag, it's a piece of art. I can see all the care and passion Michael put into it. I was misty eyed realizing a very kind man on the other side of the world create this dream bag.

Thank you Michael.

ethernautrix
July 6th, 2015, 05:34 PM
Wow, what a great pen bag!

Looks like there's room for a notebook, too!

Crazyorange
July 6th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Thank you....or I should say...thank Michael. He's the creative genius.

There's a ton of room. Could probably get the kitchen sink in it.

reprieve
July 6th, 2015, 05:52 PM
That case is just stunning! The color combination is so eye-catching; that pink and that blue really work together. Congratulations! I loved seeing your current rotation all snug and safe and happy.

Michael is pretty amazing and so is his work. I have one of the document cases that he restored (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/7879-Custom-Bag?p=117384&viewfull=1#post117384) and every time I carry it it gets tons of compliments. It makes me so happy to think that it was fixed up by a fellow pen lover.

Lady Onogaro
July 6th, 2015, 05:53 PM
What a beautiful case! Grumpy Bear looks very much at home! Thanks for sharing pictures of it in use.

Crazyorange
July 6th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Reprieve, your case was part of the catalyst. I had admired your bag.

I hope people will recognize how lucky we are to have Michael as part of our group.

VertOlive
July 6th, 2015, 07:17 PM
Wow. Just. Wow.

Grumpy Bear cannot possibly be grumped in that swell ride. Enjoy!

migo984
July 6th, 2015, 08:08 PM
A beautiful work of art, and so *you* 💐 The perfect home for all your bright, swirly pens ☺️

earthdawn
July 6th, 2015, 10:43 PM
That really came out fantastic !!!

So it holds tons of paper and pads and whatever else you need... and then the pens sit right up there for easy reach. Front and center, that was well thought out and very well executed. I like the functionality of the case.

Congrats... I too am lucky enough to have some of Michaels handy work.

fountainpagan
July 7th, 2015, 01:19 AM
I had said to Michael that the colour combination is not for me, but the all making and design is a beauty.

Nice acquisition. Enjoy it for a longtime.

ethernautrix
July 7th, 2015, 01:03 PM

Oh so my (deleted) comment about room for my small camera and a lens wouldn't have been...weird. Or whatever. You know, self-centered, making it all about me.

Such a fabulous pen bag -- looks perfect for travel and sightseeing (cos I tend to carry more than I say I want to).

Crazyorange
July 7th, 2015, 04:13 PM

Oh so my (deleted) comment about room for my small camera and a lens wouldn't have been...weird. Or whatever. You know, self-centered, making it all about me.

Such a fabulous pen bag -- looks perfect for travel and sightseeing (cos I tend to carry more than I say I want to).

You never know when you'll need a ton of pen stuff. Of course only a pen lover gets that. Otherwise we are carrying around too much junk. ;)

MY63
July 8th, 2015, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the kind words I really do appreciate them.
I have to be honest I cant take all of the credit Crazyorange chose the colours and I copied the original case although I did make it slightly larger to accommodate some larger pens. Although I did create the pen section and it took some time to get it to work the way I wanted it to.
Crazyorange was very patient throughout and did not apply any pressure which was great for me, The most enjoyable part of making the case for me was making a new friend and finding a home for this case where it will be appreciated and used.
Hopefully it should be good for another 50 years

Thanks again

Michael

Crazyorange
June 6th, 2016, 01:59 PM
I'm back to update my pen bag. The bag has been my go to since it arrived. The bag gets used everyday. Only one problem.....I've got a bad pen addiction and I thought 20 pen would be enough. Ha ha joke on me.....many more pens later.....I needed to extend my bag.

So I asked Michael to make inserts which would hold more pens. They arrived today....

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160606/7bed680466e32de26a79d66596a05383.jpg

Here's the insert/extensions. I asked Michael to make them stand up, so I could take them out of the bag and put on the desk. I'm thinking of having one insert filled with pens for drawing. Thus I can organize myself a bit better.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160606/9e22b5828ee4e0fbb31c04adcd720f4c.jpg

Here's the inserts in the bag. The bag now hold 36 pens. I feel very blessed to have this beautiful bag....it's a dream bag.....pens upright so caps don't get very inky.....I can reach in and easily pull the pens out (hate elastic bands) .....and its bright and cheerful.

Of course I dread next year....I'm out of room. No more expansion. Must not buy pens....must remember....no more pens. [emoji6]