PDA

View Full Version : Help a new guy out, please?

Briankp
July 6th, 2015, 08:35 PM
I am pretty much brand-new to this hobby and I only thought that the pen made the difference. Now I know that I also need some good notebooks to go with my pens so I am coming to you fine folks for suggestions, please! There are too many choices!
To help a bit: I am a full-time college student (English Major) so I write. A lot. Also, as is expected with being a college student/full-time single dad, I'd prefer to not drop a ton of money on notebooks if I can avoid it.

Pleas help. Thank you!

Quantum Sailor
July 6th, 2015, 09:01 PM
One thing you'll find out about paper is the pen and ink you use matters as much as the paper. If you go to target and wal-mart especially near the beginning of school you'll find a bunch of super cheap, 50 cent to a dollar cheap, composition notebooks. Not all of my pens work well on these but enough do that I use them quite a bit. Though I usually am unable to use both sides of a page.

I also just can't seem to put enough value in what I write down to justify spending over 1.00 on the paper I put it on so I find the cheapest notebooks I can find that still work. There are some really good composition books in the 2 - 3.00 range as well if the paper is just too cheap for you.

Briankp
July 6th, 2015, 09:07 PM
One thing you'll find out about paper is the pen and ink you use matters as much as the paper. If you go to target and wal-mart especially near the beginning of school you'll find a bunch of super cheap, 50 cent to a dollar cheap, composition notebooks. Not all of my pens work well on these but enough do that I use them quite a bit. Though I usually am unable to use both sides of a page.

I also just can't seem to put enough value in what I write down to justify spending over 1.00 on the paper I put it on so I find the cheapest notebooks I can find that still work. There are some really good composition books in the 2 - 3.00 range as well if the paper is just too cheap for you.

I've just noticed that I can't even use the backside of pages in my regular books now because, no matter the ink and pen combo, there is just far too much showing on the other side. That's my only complaint with them.

mtnbiker62
July 6th, 2015, 09:59 PM
I've had good luck with Sustainable Earth notebooks and paper from Staples and using an extra fine or fine nibbed pen for my note taking endeavors. They are a bit more expensive than regular notebooks, but still much cheaper than the Rhodia/Clairfontaine notebooks that you will usually see recommended. My local store doesn't stock them, so I have to order them in, but if you watch for coupons and take advantage of their free shipping to a store, they can be a relatively inexpensive, usable solution. I've also had good luck with the Ampad Gold writing pads (also a ship-to-store item at Staples).

00Photo
July 6th, 2015, 10:18 PM
Boom.
http://www.staples.com/Sustainable-Earth-By-Staples-Eco-Conscious-Writing-Pads/product_SS1042779

Boom.
http://www.staples.com/Sustainable-Earth-by-Staples-Wirebound-Notebooks/product_SS1042782

Boom.
http://www.staples.com/Black-N-Red-trade-Polypropylene-Notebooks-with-Elastic-Strap/product_SS1009554

So much Boom.

I prefer Rhodia for all things notebooky but I'm a spoiled brat with a penchant for all things french and cream colored. Like R by Rhodia, and french fries.

TAYLORPUPPY
July 7th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Black-n-Red notebooks do a decent job at resisting bleed through. The office supply store employees generally don't have a clue about this but it still doesn't hurt to ask if they know of a notebook that's fountain pen friendly and reasonably priced.

manoeuver
July 7th, 2015, 09:57 AM
At Staples, find composition books made in Brazil. I see them marked down to $1.00 pretty often. The paper is bright, smooth and comparable to Rhodia (for reals.)

Notebooks made in Egypt, Vietnam, China and (esp) the US are usually not nearly as good. I don't know if the Brazil books are made from sugar cane or virgin rainforest fiber or human babies, but they are gratifying to use with a fountain pen.

Sailor Kenshin
July 7th, 2015, 11:02 AM
When comp notebooks hit a dollar or less, I buy. Even found a couple of really good-for-fountain-pens Mead notebooks made in China. Wish I had bought more than two.

I give notebooks a very discreet last-page fp test. If they don't like fountain pen ink, I donate them.

ac12
July 7th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Your timing is perfect.
Last year about this time Staples had a sale on their "single subject, wire bound notebooks" for only 17 cents each. I bought 30 of them.
But you have to look through the stack for the notebooks which were made in BRAZIL. The country of origin makes a big different for fountain pen use. As other said, the non Brazil notebooks are not FP friendly.
These notesbooks are pretty darn good for the price (17 cents).
For me, they are best with a wide F or M nib. The XF or narrow F nibs may feel a bit scratchy on the paper. Hey what do you expect for only 17 cents.

Staples also has filler paper that is made in Brazil. Again you need to look through the stack to find the Brazil stuff.

gud luk

Briankp
July 7th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Thanks, everyone!! I ordered a few Clairefontaine books from Goulet to try them out. Unfortunately, the Staples in my God awful town closed down last year and the nearest one is an hour away but I'll check them out next time I'm there! [emoji4]

Sailor Kenshin
July 7th, 2015, 03:13 PM
Just returned from my local Staples (thanks to Neo, lol) with a few spiral-bound and comp notebooks. Some of the comps were made in Brazil, others, Egypt.

Not all the papers felt smooth to the touch.

Only us FPGs go around petting notebooks.

Briankp
July 7th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Only us FPGs go around petting notebooks.

Hahahahahha. This. My family makes fun of me because every time we run errands I make sure that we stop at the office supply stores just to look around. I genuinely thought that I was the only person that loves that stuff. Now it's even worse with fountain pens!

sjkissell
July 8th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I hate to jump on the staples bandwagon, but I also like the Circa paper there. The paper is in these cool plastic discs and can be moved in and out of the notebook. Levenger.com has the same style of paper and a bit higher quality, but it's expensive.

Silverbreeze
July 9th, 2015, 06:30 AM
I hate to jump on the staples bandwagon, but I also like the Circa paper there. The paper is in these cool plastic discs and can be moved in and out of the notebook. Levenger.com has the same style of paper and a bit higher quality, but it's expensive.

Check the staples by M paper (especially the Premium) also any sugar cane paper and sometimes recycled paper