PDA

View Full Version : Please help: How can I automatically ignore a thread ....

Sevenof9
July 8th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Dear all,
I would like to ignore a specific thread alltogether....how can I do this? any tips would be greatly appreciated. :crazy_pilot: Thanks a lot in advance 7

tandaina
July 8th, 2015, 01:39 PM
No way that I know of. You can ignore *members* but not threads. All you can do is just not open it.

Wile E Coyote
July 8th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Don't click on it.

Dreck
July 8th, 2015, 02:03 PM
This ^^^^

Personal responsibility and maturity at its finest :)

Sevenof9
July 8th, 2015, 02:41 PM
all right I see your wisdom it is just annoying to have something near the top of the list that you really do not want to see ....sigh.:jaw:

Chrissy
July 8th, 2015, 04:20 PM
I can sympathise because I understand what you mean. But tandaina is right, you can only ignore a member not a thread.

Do you click on 'New Posts' or do you go to a particular forum? If you click on 'New Posts', then surely you can just ignore one of the threads. There won't be that many to choose from.

Jon Szanto
July 8th, 2015, 04:30 PM
As others have said. There are *some* implementations of the very board software our forum runs on that have plug-ins to ignore a thread, it has never been added here at FPG. I *do* find it handy, but in it's absence I simply exercise judgement: how do I want the next few minutes, or the rest of my day, to affect me? I just move one.

Though, frankly, ignoring single users can often be helpful, especially if the twits pop up in an otherwise nice thread. To me, a good life is not where you learn how to deal with stress so much as how to avoid it. I avoid it at every opportunity! :)

Laura N
July 8th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Eventually they get tired or busy with other things and stop.

VertOlive
July 8th, 2015, 05:54 PM
Hmmm. As they said on Fort Hood "Get over it and grow some skin". In more polite terms, simply ignore it and move on. :rolleyes:

Dreck
July 8th, 2015, 06:41 PM
"You are no bigger than the things that annoy you."

I think that was Chiun, Master of Sinanju

Laura N
July 8th, 2015, 06:50 PM
He or she is new to the board and is asking a very reasonable question, I think. I actually recently found myself wondering the same thing, and I checked "Thread Tools" to see if there was a setting for "ignore thread." If you haven't been around that long you probably don't even know that menu is there.

Also, it's nice feedback for the site to know that some users would appreciate that.

reprieve
July 8th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I don't use the ignore feature often (actually, I've never used it)--I tend to just not click or not reply--but there is a particular thread recently that continues to get bumped that I am finding extraordinarily exasperating. I would use the feature in this instance, were it available; while I don't generally wish to ignore the member who keeps bumping that thread, I would like to ignore the thread itself. On the up side, it's an exercise in self-control to not engage.

Jon Szanto
July 8th, 2015, 07:37 PM
This is the kind of issue that is a perennial with discussion forums. Our populace, in both their interests and experience, is wide and deep. Many may not know the options available, and even the most savvy realize that the tools at one's disposal vary from site to site. We should be able to find room for an honest and innocent question, and hopefully answer with help and a lack of judgement. What works for me is never guaranteed to work for all, and within the many responses that people have given there is a lot of value.

It would be so funny right now if everyone had me on ignore.

jar
July 8th, 2015, 08:05 PM
This is the kind of issue that is a perennial with discussion forums. Our populace, in both their interests and experience, is wide and deep. Many may not know the options available, and even the most savvy realize that the tools at one's disposal vary from site to site. We should be able to find room for an honest and innocent question, and hopefully answer with help and a lack of judgement. What works for me is never guaranteed to work for all, and within the many responses that people have given there is a lot of value.

I can't hear you!

Wile E Coyote
July 8th, 2015, 09:06 PM

I can't hear you!

Thanks Jar, ignore doesn't work when someone quotes the ignored.

Jon Szanto
July 8th, 2015, 09:10 PM

I can't hear you!

How's the olfactory responses these days, Jar?

Sevenof9
July 9th, 2015, 12:09 AM
Thanks for all the response. Appreciated. 7

FredRydr
July 9th, 2015, 04:44 AM
I do apologize for my part in the bumping of that thread in the last 12 hours. It won't happen on my part anymore.

Fred

VertOlive
July 9th, 2015, 10:59 AM
I do apologize for my part in the bumping of that thread in the last 12 hours. It won't happen on my part anymore.

Fred

Now I want to read that thread!

Jon Szanto
July 9th, 2015, 02:25 PM

No.

You don't, believe us.

I have to follow Fred's lead and exercise much more restraint. As in: no participation!

migo984
July 9th, 2015, 04:01 PM
no participation![/I]

I'm going to do the same with another series of threads that make me feel very uncomfortable. I guess it's better to just ignore them than point out the inappropriateness.

Sailor Kenshin
July 9th, 2015, 04:36 PM
"You are no bigger than the things that annoy you."

I think that was Chiun, Master of Sinanju

That makes me the size of a pea....

Special K
July 9th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Wow, I can really feel the love. Can I get an Amen?

FredRydr
July 9th, 2015, 08:29 PM
test

Empty_of_Clouds
July 9th, 2015, 09:39 PM
test

<that makes two test s... ah, nuts!>

Quantum Sailor
July 10th, 2015, 06:01 PM
test

That made me laugh

Special K
July 10th, 2015, 08:13 PM
This person that you're talking about ignoring, I really hope you'll stop giving him free space in your brain. If you're going to ignore someone, it generally helps to not actually start a thread to discuss ignoring them. Hope this helps.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 10th, 2015, 09:04 PM
test

That made me laugh

I'm glad at least one person got it!

carlc
July 11th, 2015, 02:40 AM
test

That made me laugh

I'm glad at least one person got it!

I think I got it but I'm always worried that it's just my gutter mind over analysing.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 11th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Mind in the gutter is my default state. It perfectly reflects my emotional maturity and educational level.

Dronak
July 11th, 2015, 09:50 PM
FWIW, I think there could be some cases where an "ignore thread" option would be useful. For example, in a PIF where the giveaway has concluded, but posts continue to be made (e.g., in thanks, to say items were sent and/or received). Also in the for sale section, when items are sold but the thread title isn't marked as such; I'm not familiar enough with that section to know why this happens, but it does seem to from what I've seen. Yes, you can simply not open/read the threads in those cases, but I think that being able to ignore the threads instead might be a nice option. Just a few thoughts.

Quantum Sailor
July 11th, 2015, 11:04 PM
I think an ignore thread option would be preferable to a closing a thread down by moderators. Though it would appear as though there is an undetermined amount of moderation going on here. I'm not really big on censoring people, but at the same time I'm not really big on train wrecks either.

There can be threads that certainly do a great more deal of harm to a forum than good. I can think of a couple threads on this site that would completely turn me off on communicating on here if it weren't for the sheer number of extremely wonderful people here that counteract the mentality of some members. I'm not sure how much value I bring to the board or how much wisdom either. I just know that I have found myself second guessing any desire to attend a live event based on some of the threads that I have witnessed here, and I have certainly reconsidered where I am willing to buy pens from due to some threads.

Quantum Sailor
July 11th, 2015, 11:07 PM
Mind in the gutter is my default state. It perfectly reflects my emotional maturity and educational level.

You aren't alone. I immediately went to the conclusion that made me laugh.

Jon Szanto
July 12th, 2015, 12:56 AM
I think an ignore thread option would be preferable to a closing a thread down by moderators. Though it would appear as though there is an undetermined amount of moderation going on here. I'm not really big on censoring people, but at the same time I'm not really big on train wrecks either.

I can't remember whether it was in public threads or private messages, but I had a long discussion with Dan when he was actively moderating the forums regarding the "ignore thread" function. The vbb software platform that this runs on can be modified in many ways, and there are many plug-ins available, but some conflict with others. While I know a number of boards that have the function, including a massive board that dwarfs FPN (not to mention FPG), he seemed to think it wouldn't work. I wish it was there, simply as an option for users. I know that people like to suggest simply "using one's own self-restraint", but honestly, there are times when simply seeing that a toxic thread has been added to makes me angry. Because... well, more below. But I don't think we have any hope at the moment. A number of people have tried contacting the owner about various issues, and all we receive is crickets. I don't get it, frankly, but it is what it is.

There can be threads that certainly do a great more deal of harm to a forum than good. I can think of a couple threads on this site that would completely turn me off on communicating on here if it weren't for the sheer number of extremely wonderful people here that counteract the mentality of some members. I'm not sure how much value I bring to the board or how much wisdom either. I just know that I have found myself second guessing any desire to attend a live event based on some of the threads that I have witnessed here, and I have certainly reconsidered where I am willing to buy pens from due to some threads.

Well, yes. Highly unfortunate.

If we're in an environment where the majority don't want a heavy hand in moderation, especially banning, etc, then we have just taken on an additional responsibility: the people who believe in the good of the forum need to speak up in any way they see fit. If trolls are active, engage in the thread only to post messages that reach out to others and casual readers that, no, this doesn't represent the forum as a whole. Derail in a positive way. Start threads of positive content. Do everything you can not to mitigate the damage by going mano-a-mano with the miscreants, but turn everything around by ignoring them with good, substantive, positive, pen-related materials.

To paraphrase Leia, it's our only hope.

Sailor Kenshin
July 12th, 2015, 07:17 AM

No.

You don't, believe us.

I have to follow Fred's lead and exercise much more restraint. As in: no participation!

But, see...now we're curious.

Laura N
July 12th, 2015, 08:47 AM

I would thank this five times if I could. Yes, exactly.

And Jon's post, too.

I've been wondering in the last two days if those of us who are the core membership of the forum can maybe act positively to try to counteract this. Maybe to post more in threads that are not in the hands of a troll? Maybe start a few threads ourselves? Maybe try to get a few more of the nice ones over here to post. Anything to try to stop "New Posts" from being swamped by that ... stuff.

I don't know, I try sometimes in one little thread, but I feel like I post way too much and people are getting very tired of me. I'm sure I've landed on a few "ignore" lists myself.

QS, definitely go to a live event. In real life, the people who show up are the nice ones. If you come to Chicago next May for the Chicago Pen Show, you can meet a whole bunch of us. :)

Sailor Kenshin
July 12th, 2015, 09:42 AM
Nobody's getting tired of the MI Queen!

I missed the LIPS this year, but in past years it's been great. Wonder if there's a CO Pen show or posse.

Jon Szanto
July 12th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Laura: never a worry where you are concerned.

As for me, I'll really stick to my vow of non-engagement. I consider those days over, as of now.

MY63
July 12th, 2015, 01:02 PM
"I don't know, I try sometimes in one little thread, but I feel like I post way too much and people are getting very tired of me. I'm sure I've landed on a few "ignore" lists myself."
Laura I have been thinking the same thing myself as I post a lot and wonder how many ignore lists I am on but I don't worry about it.

The best solution is to post on the positive threads and try not to post on the negative ones.

I like the M I thread and enjoy reading everyone's thoughts on the inks you send out keep up the good work.

Special K
July 12th, 2015, 08:09 PM
What is the sense in starting a thread about ignoring someone, especially when they're not even participating? Jon, I haven't even spoken to you in over a week, save for to apologize about my behavior on the 823 thread. I am sorry if I've caused you any stress. I have no ill will towards you. Every time you make a comment, my username is right there with yours. That doesn't bother me in the least. It only keeps you angry. A few of you have said that you should start good positive threads... Do it, and if I add a comment about your sticking piston and you don't want to read, then just don't read it. But don't add 15 other comments saying that you are ignoring me.

mhosea
July 12th, 2015, 09:17 PM
What is the sense in starting a thread about ignoring someone, especially when they're not even participating?

In fact they're talking about a thread you haven't contributed to, so no worries. I'd tell you which one, but they might be annoyed with me for advertising it if I did. :)

Special K
July 12th, 2015, 09:32 PM
Hey, thanx Mike. It's good to know that Jon is the only one battling the demons in his head. Hopefully he can forgive my shortcomings and we all start getting along again.

Jon Szanto
July 12th, 2015, 10:19 PM
Two very simple points:

1. Mike got to it before I did: indeed, this thread has nothing to do with Mr. K. in the least. Wrong assumption.
2. While we're talking about wrong assumptions, I have no outstanding mental issues at all at the moment. My sig file is as it is for a very specific reason: these are words that Mr. K. spewed at me in a venomous rage, hoping desperately to hurt me. Not only were they incorrect, not only did they not bother me, but by embracing them and keeping them as a license plate holder, I've removed any possibility of them being taken with even 0.003005% seriousness by anyone else.

I won't even consider an apology until Mr. K. cops to previously being GING GING, and any other sock puppets he's been activating. Then we can start a sensible discussion.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 12th, 2015, 11:53 PM
I actually find Jon's signature file to be highly reminiscent of the sort of language that I would expect to hear in a Monty Python sketch. They make me smile every time I read - usually in my head in the voice of Terry Gilliam.

Jon Szanto
July 13th, 2015, 12:04 AM
I actually find Jon's signature file to be highly reminiscent of the sort of language that I would expect to hear in a Monty Python sketch. They make me smile every time I read - usually in my head in the voice of Terry Gilliam.

Just rest assured that I am not contemplating doing anything in anyone's "general direction!"

Sailor Kenshin
July 13th, 2015, 06:23 AM
What is the sense in starting a thread about ignoring someone, especially when they're not even participating?

In fact they're talking about a thread you haven't contributed to, so no worries. I'd tell you which one, but they might be annoyed with me for advertising it if I did. :)

But Miiiike!

All the OTHER kids are reading it.

Laura N
July 13th, 2015, 06:31 AM
What is the sense in starting a thread about ignoring someone, especially when they're not even participating? Jon, I haven't even spoken to you in over a week, save for to apologize about my behavior on the 823 thread. I am sorry if I've caused you any stress. I have no ill will towards you. Every time you make a comment, my username is right there with yours. That doesn't bother me in the least. It only keeps you angry. A few of you have said that you should start good positive threads... Do it, and if I add a comment about your sticking piston and you don't want to read, then just don't read it. But don't add 15 other comments saying that you are ignoring me.

Hey, thanx Mike. It's good to know that Jon is the only one battling the demons in his head. Hopefully he can forgive my shortcomings and we all start getting along again.

Just leave Jon alone. The only person following anyone around, the only person "battling demons in his head," seems to be you.

Your words are false. You seem to have a lot of ill will toward Jon. You seem to be bothered by everything he says. Every time he makes a comment, you see your own user name(s)

Your apologies are insincere. Indeed, they really seem to be passive aggressive attacks. Your many posts on this forum must seem very bold and courageous to you -- saying such nasty things to and about other members here. But then you run and hide and delete them when it's noticed. You hide behind at least three identities -- of that I am sure -- and last week you were posting as two of them. Though you're no longer using Ging Ging. You no doubt have other sock puppets, and there are probably six more in the queue waiting. That behavior alone is grounds for banning on every other forum I've ever been a member. As are repeated personal attacks.

You've been banned at FPN, and they are very good at that, so I bet you can't post there under other fake names. I suspect this is all you've got. And instead of appreciating it, instead of taking advantage of your second (or third or fourth) chance, you continue to abuse the freedom here. You continue to troll, not only your enemies list, but other people who just make innocent posts you happen to see.

Your apology is as sincere as your previous post in that thread was, saying you would delete your membership if you knew how. You know how. And then you deleted that post, didn't you? And here you are.

One isn't really hoping for forgiveness when he continues to bash a person. From the outside, it looks more like you hope to be allowed to keep doing what you do, under the cover of phony remorse and attempts to paint yourself as a victim.

I won't even consider an apology until Mr. K. cops to previously being GING GING, and any other sock puppets he's been activating. Then we can start a sensible discussion.

Jon, this one isn't going to be rehabilitated. It won't matter. He will continue until being banned. When people show you who they are, you'd best believe them.

carlc
July 13th, 2015, 06:51 AM
"I don't know, I try sometimes in one little thread, but I feel like I post way too much and people are getting very tired of me. I'm sure I've landed on a few "ignore" lists myself."

Balderdash Sir!

The majority of us love your threads - I just don't post in them as I've nothing useful to say. Please don't reduce your posts/threads - that would be a real loss.

manoeuver
July 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Nobody's getting tired of the MI Queen!

I missed the LIPS this year, but in past years it's been great. Wonder if there's a CO Pen show or posse.

The Colorado Pen Posse is full of wonderful people. Some of them are here. The CO pen show is Columbus Day Weekend, in October. My buddy runs it (very well, I might add.)

FredRydr
July 14th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Perhaps I was writing in my post (above) about the wrong thread, which within the last hour has been closed in any event. Thank goodness.

Fred

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Fred

I suspect that there were two or three threads in various people's minds!

Special K
July 14th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Laura N.. When you say that Jon doesn't have my name along with his, is just wrong. Jon, you're being dishonest now. " Mr k spewed at me in a venomous rage",,, hoping desperately to hurt me.. Little drummer boy, say what you want, but be honest. I said nothing to you. Instead, I reported you for cursing the owner of this forum. You were the one spewing venomous rage and it was directed at the owner. It's one thing to argue, but nix the profanity as there may be children on here. And to say this thread is not about me is wholly dishonest. It may not have been entirely about me, but it was about me. And even if I were completely wrong it would be normal to think it was. Several posts into this thread, I commented that I can feel the love. The next two responses were trying to be cute slash rude. They were letting me know in a cute way that this thread is about me. Also, the very same people, in this thread talking about how to ignore someone were the very same people that big ole bad me, hurt in another recent thread. Laura N. My apology was sincere. It's funny that the two angriest people are the two that didn't even acknowledge that. When I said I can feel the love, why didn't you or the little drummer boy speak up and say something? Jon, you say you're embracing my words like a license plate, so that others will see it. No, you're doing it because you are an angry old man with a handful of old pens. You've always felt inadequate because you're not a successful drummer. Instead, pen forums have become your little fantasy world where people will see you as a brilliant fountain pen writer dude. The only problem with that is you only have a handful of old rickety pens in the first place. When you take to plastering someone's name all over your feed and even use their name as your signature, you are sick. You get sporty with others from time to time but they back down. I'm not gonna backdown from you because contrary to what you may think, I don't see you as the brilliant fountain pen writer dude. I see you as an old chump. I'm probably half your age and I have pens that you will never be able to afford.

FredRydr
July 14th, 2015, 10:27 AM
WTF?

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 10:27 AM
Laura N.. When you say that Jon doesn't have my name along with his, is just wrong. Jon, you're being dishonest now. " Mr k spewed at me in a venomous rage",,, hoping desperately to hurt me.. Little drummer boy, say what you want, but be honest. I said nothing to you. Instead, I reported you for cursing the owner of this forum. You were the one spewing venomous rage and it was directed at the owner. It's one thing to argue, but nix the profanity as there may be children on here. And to say this thread is not about me is wholly dishonest. It may not have been entirely about me, but it was about me. And even if I were completely wrong it would be normal to think it was. Several posts into this thread, I commented that I can feel the love. The next two responses were trying to be cute slash rude. They were letting me know in a cute way that this thread is about me. Also, the very same people, in this thread talking about how to ignore someone were the very same people that big ole bad me, hurt in another recent thread. Laura N. My apology was sincere. It's funny that the two angriest people are the two that didn't even acknowledge that. When I said I can feel the love, why didn't you or the little drummer boy speak up and say something? Jon, you say you're embracing my words like a license plate, so that others will see it. No, you're doing it because you are an angry old man with a handful of old pens. You've always felt inadequate because you're not a successful drummer. Instead, pen forums have become your little fantasy world where people will see you as a brilliant fountain pen writer dude. The only problem with that is you only have a handful of old rickety pens in the first place. When you take to plastering someone's name all over your feed and even use their name as your signature, you are sick. You get sporty with others from time to time but they back down. I'm not gonna backdown from you because contrary to what you may think, I don't see you as the brilliant fountain pen writer dude. I see you as an old chump. I'm probably half your age and I have pens that you will never be able to afford.

I've asked Eric to review this member's contributions as I think it's safe to say we're all a bit fed up with him.

Special K
July 14th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Carl, I contribute plenty to this forum. I'm not a troll. I have lots of ink, lots of paper and a lot of very expensive pens. If some one is rude with me I'm gonna be rude back. Have you ever contributed financially to this forum, Carl, I have. Your last comment was to say you love my posts. Then your next one was to say that you want me banned. That's funny. You were one of those who cursed Eric out. Now you want him to jump to attention for you

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Carl, I contribute plenty to this forum. I'm not a troll. I have lots of ink, lots of paper and a lot of very expensive pens. If some one is rude with me I'm gonna be rude back. Have you ever contributed financially to this forum, Carl, I have. Your last comment was to say you love my posts. Then your next one was to say that you want me banned. That's funny. You were one of those who cursed Eric out. Now you want him to jump to attention for you

Pardon? Where did I say I love your posts?

Furthermore I have never "cursed Eric out".

Give me proof dear heart and I shall admit my errors.

Jon Szanto
July 14th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Signature file updated to reflect current adoration status.

Sailor Kenshin
July 14th, 2015, 11:20 AM

I've asked Eric to review this member's contributions as I think it's safe to say we're all a bit fed up with him.

Thanks.

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Your last comment was to say you love my posts.

I know I have said that to someone recently but I can't get to a computer to find the post. I wonder if this is an inadvertent admission of another sock puppet?

Sevenof9
July 14th, 2015, 11:22 AM
:pound::):haha::wink::fencing::fencing::fencing:

Special K
July 14th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Carlc, it is painful and embarrassing to have to communicate with you. If your memory is that bad you should go sit in the shade and relax. One more thing, I probably shouldn't say this because you'll forget it. When you refer to me as dear heart, you're trying to talk down to me. You likely also want people to think that you speak the queens English. You might empty the queens trash; you don't speak the queens English.
You go back and forth with one another about how to ignore me, but when I get involved you go out of your way to not ignore me

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Carlc, it is painful and embarrassing to have to communicate with you. If your memory is that bad you should go sit in the shade and relax. One more thing, I probably shouldn't say this because you'll forget it. When you refer to me as dear heart, you're trying to talk down to me. You likely also want people to think that you speak the queens English. You might empty the queens trash; you don't speak the queens English.
You go back and forth with one another about how to ignore me, but when I get involved you go out of your way to not ignore me

Still waiting for that proof sweetie.

By the way 'dear heart' is a term of endearment.

mhosea
July 14th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Hi, Carl. This would be the quote, I think. It was made to MY63, not Special K.

Balderdash Sir!

The majority of us love your threads - I just don't post in them as I've nothing useful to say. Please don't reduce your posts/threads - that would be a real loss.

Wile E Coyote
July 14th, 2015, 11:47 AM

I know I have said that to someone recently but I can't get to a computer to find the post. I wonder if this is an inadvertent admission of another sock puppet?

It does seem that there are two people posting under that account. I just hope they aren't sharing the same head.

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 11:47 AM
Hi Mike

No that wasn't the one but thanks for trying to find it. It was in a different thread.

As soon as I can get to a computer I'll find it.

Sailor Kenshin
July 14th, 2015, 12:01 PM

It does seem that there are two people posting under that account. I just hope they aren't sharing the same head.

Or worse!

Like this. (http://www.1000misspenthours.com/reviews/reviewsn-z/thingwithtwoheads.htm)

rdcalhoon
July 14th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Two key principles of moderation must be transparency and consistency.
I am not on FPN but I gather that many complaints about moderation there boil down to capricious actions and unexplained sanctions.
I was pleased to see a statement from Eric explaining why he closed the Public Domain thread. Agree with him or not, he told us his reasons.

Special K
July 14th, 2015, 12:20 PM

My bad. I can fess up when wrong. Which brings up something else. This thread is not about pens. So why are you reading my responses? I would love nothing more than for you to leave me alone. Stop discussing how to ignore me. Get a life. You won't do that because you don't have a life

Special K
July 14th, 2015, 12:21 PM

Balderdash Sir!

Thanx for pointing that out.

Dreck
July 14th, 2015, 12:24 PM
This is probably going to draw some laughs and chuckles. That's cool, I got it coming. I won't say much because the more I do, others can just use it trash me. I've been hostile and rude towards a whole lot of people, over something silly, that wasn't necessary. I'm sorry for my behavior, on so many levels. This is embarrassing but I have to do it. I know that folks aren't going to be knocking down doors to be my buddy. I owe this apology and I mean it.
I'll add alittle more to this. If you respond to a comment I make, the world is not coming to an end if you really do believe that I'm just a troll that knows nothing about fountain pens, your welcomed to make me show mine against yours. Same goes for inks, notebooks and. Various accessories. When I apologized, I meant it. What disturbs me, if I said something very nasty to someone, they certainly respond. On the other hand if say something that is very helpful, no one will respond. That's just some food for thought. Even to this day, I'm reading posts that are asking how to ignore this, that? And the other thing. MHosea, I especially need to thank you for accepting my apology. I purposefully tried to be nasty to you, and you accepted my apology. Thank you very much. No, I'm not coming to hug it out. Just wanted to it

Well, that didn't last long. Even the "apology" was edited and adulterated to include a couple swipes inbetween episodes of contrition.

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 12:25 PM

Balderdash Sir!

Thanx for pointing that out.

Whoa are you claiming to be MY63? That really is spectacularly amazing!

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 12:28 PM

My bad. I can fess up when wrong. Which brings up something else. This thread is not about pens. So why are you reading my responses? I would love nothing more than for you to leave me alone. Stop discussing how to ignore me. Get a life. You won't do that because you don't have a life

In response to your question highlighted in bold: Because you attacked me in your post. As noted I have asked Eric to review your content and activity - if you have done nothing to warrant action then nothing will happen. Eric seems like a reasonable man to me.

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Found it - it was to pajaro in the 'only one pen' thread.

I don't think pajaro is a sock puppet for anyone except himself!

Cob
July 14th, 2015, 01:23 PM

Unwise, or at least a waste of time, to get involved with people to whom the concept of manners is alien (N.B. That IS the Queen's English and furthermore, the Queen's grammar.)

Rgds

Cob

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Cob: How true. I have managed to stay aloof so far but I had to ask Eric to review and I wanted to be open about that.

Sadly that left me open to abuse. Agreed I should have walked away but he did make false statements about me and that had to be challenged.

mhosea
July 14th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Whoa are you claiming to be MY63? That really is spectacularly amazing!

Once again I find myself in the position of explaining something without endorsing it. If one is to hold the high ground, one must be attentive to fairness in all matters.

At the time he read it, he thought the entire thread was about him. Most likely he did not actually read the quoted part at the time, rather just your reply itself, and consequently he was able to understand it as a reply to him.

Cob
July 14th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Cob: How true. I have managed to stay aloof so far but I had to ask Eric to review and I wanted to be open about that.

Sadly that left me open to abuse. Agreed I should have walked away but he did make false statements about me and that had to be challenged.

Naturally; one must not let such things go, but my dear! how tedious it all is!

Reminds me of the story about Oscar Wilde attending a party given by a celebrated bore. "Are you enjoying yourself?" asked the bore of Wilde. "Of course; what else is there?" replied Oscar!

Rgds

Cob

P.S. As this is a PEN forum, how's the 2060 doing?

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Both my Swans that I adopted from you are very well, thankyou for asking.

I do have two that I acquired from elsewhere which require attention though. Do you fancy taking some work on?

By the way - if you come across an SM 2/68 (I think) in camouflage. Think of me! Actually I've just found one. Just got to find the money now!

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 02:02 PM
Mike: I have just worked out the ramifications of what you surmise. Thankyou for the clarification.

Cob
July 14th, 2015, 02:26 PM

I do have two that I acquired from elsewhere which require attention though. Do you fancy taking some work on?

By the way - if you come across an SM 2/68 (I think) in camouflage. Think of me! Actually I've just found one. Just got to find the money now!

Ha ha! You mean 58 I think: Marine Bronze; 68 does not appear in my list. I have wanted a 58 for ages. Cryptos has got one - grrr!

Yes pm me about the repairs, no problem (unless it's a Visofil VT). I have one other regular client - a Wyvern man - only Wyverns - so a Swan "punter" would be welcome.

Rgds

Cob

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 02:49 PM

Ha ha! You mean 58 I think: Marine Bronze; 68 does not appear in my list. I have wanted a 58 for ages. Cryptos has got one - grrr!

Yes pm me about the repairs, no problem (unless it's a Visofil VT). I have one other regular client - a Wyvern man - only Wyverns - so a Swan "punter" would be welcome.

Rgds

Cob

Sorry - quite correct.

He mentioned on FPN he may let it go.....

However I have found one retail - I can't afford it at present I can PM you the internet address if you like?

Let's just say I have come to appreciate the coloured Swans. Deb had a magnificent L205/62 on the blog.
Holy mackerel that is beautiful (and yes I looked up the potential price :blink:).

Empty_of_Clouds
July 14th, 2015, 02:50 PM
You never know, you may find yourself the recipient of an entirely unexpected gift...

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 02:55 PM
You never know, you may find yourself the recipient of an entirely unexpected gift...

Well that would stop him buying the one I have found!

By the way - it's your post on FPN that made me think 'Oooh pretty'.

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 03:01 PM

Rgds

Cob

No - they are the possible Frankenswan from Lawrence O and a leverless 4460. Both need their nibs sorting out and I am not going to attempt that (ask Annie about the repair I tried on my Decimo for the reason why).

Cob
July 14th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Mabie Todd had the best colours, though sometimes Waterman's got close - and in fairness Sheaffer's had a go too,

62 is gorgeous; I did finally get a 47 but sold it to someone we know recently. I would love a 62, but then I would probably sell it on. I like to say I am not a collector, but then I have pens here I really do not feel inclined to sell though i have put up two this week that I really should not be selling; however needs must as they say!

Cob

Empty_of_Clouds
July 14th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Unfortunately mine has a borked clip, so it is grossly sub-standard. My interest in Mabie Todd only extends as far as my ability to acquire them. So, pretty close to zero about now, and I don't see that changing any time soon. This is a large part of why I am turning toward dip pens. In general they are cheaper and more readily available (i.e. I don't have to fight people for them). I cannot compete with collectors, and neither do I have bottomless pockets. That essentially puts me out of the game - especially as it seems prices are rising and Mabie Todds are experiencing a moment in the sun.

Cob
July 14th, 2015, 03:06 PM

Rgds

Cob

No - they are the possible Frankenswan from Lawrence O and a leverless 4460. Both need their nibs sorting out and I am not going to attempt that (ask Annie about the repair I tried on my Decimo for the reason why).

Well I did a a Parker nib for Old Stoat that he thought was a write-off, and he seems quite pleased. I have also rescued numerous Swan nibs that appear to have been dropped, as I like to say, from the top of Westminster Abbey. No repair necessarily will be achieved, but no repair, no charge.

I shall try to remember to ask Annie of cousre!

C.

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 03:10 PM
prices are rising and Mabie Todds are experiencing a moment in the sun.

Agreed. To be honest I don't ebay anymore but I have checked the going price recently and it is somewhat silly. I now only buy from reputable dealers - but even my experience of that has left me thinking that I should buy off Cob as the two I have from well known pen sites are both in need of Cob's care and attention.

The problem is I haven't been able to make a meet for a long time and it may be quite some time before I can make one yet.

Cob
July 14th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Unfortunately mine has a borked clip, so it is grossly sub-standard. My interest in Mabie Todd only extends as far as my ability to acquire them. So, pretty close to zero about now, and I don't see that changing any time soon. This is a large part of why I am turning toward dip pens. In general they are cheaper and more readily available (i.e. I don't have to fight people for them). I cannot compete with collectors, and neither do I have bottomless pockets. That essentially puts me out of the game - especially as it seems prices are rising and Mabie Todds are experiencing a moment in the sun.

An interesting observation: and I feel (not that I have a stack of them) that Mabie Todd deserves a place in the sun - if only for the nibs; So many of the other major "classic" makers produced nails. Mind you I did have a Parker from the 1920s with a Canadian nib that was a gem. I think that things got "hard" in the 1930s.

But NOT at Mabie Todd, who largely continued to produce beauties up until nearly the end.

And that's not mentioning their elegant designs and wonderful colours...

(Which I just have - again)

Cob

carlc
July 14th, 2015, 03:13 PM

Rgds

Cob

Well I did a a Parker nib for Old Stoat that he thought was a write-off, and he seems quite pleased. I have also rescued numerous Swan nibs that appear to have been dropped, as I like to say, from the top of Westminster Abbey. No repair necessarily will be achieved, but no repair, no charge.

C.

Nothing so dramatic! One drips like a runny nose and the other will not write for me. It's been back to the seller but he says it works fine for him. He did offer a refund but I just thought 'Send it to Cob', I just hadn't got round to contacting you.

Cob
July 14th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Rgds

Cob

C.

Nothing so dramatic! One drips like a runny nose and the other will not write for me. It's been back to the seller but he says it works fine for him. He did offer a refund but I just thought 'Send it to Cob', I just hadn't got round to contacting you.

OK well I'll have a go; if it doesn't work I'll tell you!

You can of course post them to me - in any case I cannot make the next meeting as I am being taken out for a day by a friend -sadly not the friend I would LIKE to take me out (and he's the wrong sex), but then at my age one cannot be too choosy!

C.

C.

eriquito
July 14th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Has this really morphed into a thread about pens? I congratulate all those involved. The "hijacking" was sorely needed.

That being said, I'll bring us back on topic by answering the original question:

Currently, the only way to automatically ignore a thread is to NOT click on it.

Yes, a button that would make an entire thread disappear from a user's reality would be wonderful, but that dream is not yet possible. No worries. Each user still has the ultimate power: Self-control

Special K, I can certainly see that you are passionate. Passion is a good thing. In your posts, however, please temper that passion by triple thinking any text used after the word "you." Blatant personal attacks and/or insults simply have no place in civil discourse.

I'm not being smug or heavy handed. I'm simply asking for a bit of thoughtfulness. Often the simple act of taking one step backwards and thinking before responding saves us from having to edit or delete our posts later.

I close this thread in the hopes that we can all move on to bigger and better things. Pens, for some reason, come to mind.

Eric