PDA

View Full Version : Letterpress style paper, but fountain pen friendly

FredRydr
July 9th, 2015, 06:12 AM
A few years ago, I had personal stationary printed, especially flat cards and envelopes. I used Echo Letterpress in Jeffersonville, NY. (http://www.echoletterpress.com) Here is one of their images (not my stationary).

http://www.echoletterpress.com/images/STA_classic_rohaly_940x647.jpg

I thought I was quite specific on my request for paper compatible with fountain pens. Alas, the final product may have looked gorgeous, but it failed miserably when it came to using my EF to M nibs. It will work with broad round-tipped nibs. It took a few years to use up the bulk of it. So now it's time for a reorder, but this time I'll specify the paper brand and type.

Can anyone recommend a heavier paper and card stock that will accept letterpress-style printing, while being fountain pen friendly? Some texture would be nice, but not as important as performing well with my fountain pens.

Fred

Dreck
July 9th, 2015, 09:32 AM
Years ago, I ran a Heidelberg Windmill. As I recall, just about anything 60# and up should take an impression. Now, before I get into the next part, let me preface it with the caveat that I've only been using fp's for a couple years. However, I think the problem you experienced was due to the paper being 100% cotton. I don't know if your issue was bleedthrough or the nib digging furrows in the paper, but either way cotton stock is pretty absorbent stuff, although it takes a great impression and it feels magnificent in the hand.

My recommendation would be to try a heavier-weight paper, perhaps a 70# offset, and steer clear of high cotton content papers. Whatever you get for matching envelopes and cardstock (80# cover) shouldn't cause you any problems.

If there is an Arvey (XPDX in Philly) or similar paper supplier for printing shops, you should be able to browse the shelves and buy single-sheet samples to see what you like.

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Dreck I'm sure has nailed it, with excellent advice based on knowledge and expertise. I, in contrast, can only add an anecdotal data point. For what it's worth, I have a few packages of Crane's letterpress note cards, and those work surprisingly well for me. Keep in mind that I tend to use fine nib fountain pens and your more basic inks. I do think Crane's usual cotton paper is unfortunately terrible for fountain pens, but for some reason I have had luck with their letterpress paper. So if you can't find a better option, it might be worth buying a pack of those at a stationery story and trying them with your pens and inks.

Dreck
July 9th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Dreck I'm sure has nailed it, with excellent advice based on knowledge and expertise.

If you hadn't spent the rest of your post supporting what I said, I would have taken it as well-deserved sarcasm. I can't even read it with a straight face. :rofl:

I'm no expert on pens or pen inks, or how they behave on paper, and I've not run a press in nearly 20 years. I do love me some paper, though :D

Laura N
July 9th, 2015, 02:14 PM
^ No sarcasm from me. You actually know what you are talking about! You've got poundage and grade and everything. I could read your post and walk into a printer and communicate. :)

In contrast, all I can offer is, "I use Crane's letterpress, and it's better than the regular Crane's for fountain pens." But I'm not sure it meets Fred's specifications and it's definitely still cotton. I feel useless.

However, it would be a great idea to adopt an official FPG sarcasm font. :)