PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was dumb

KrazyIvan
October 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I purchased an old Sheaffer demo pen with the idea of turning it into an eye dropper. The section/nib needed a good cleaning so I soaked it. I left the barrel and cap on my desk but put the cap on the barrel so it would not roll away. A trim ring came off the barrel and is now stuck in the cap but I did not know it at the time. :blink: :boom: :tsk:

When I put the pen together and tried to cap it, the ring got pushed further in the cap. How can I retrieve it? I tried pulling it out with a paperclip that I bent into a hook but it will not budge. Tried prying with a small screw driver, no go. Tried a wooden dowel with some rubber material around it to grip the ring and nothing. Any suggestions? The cap is metal and so is that trim ring.

manoeuver
October 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM
try warming the cap. maybe lubricate the ring with some mineraI oiI. good Iuck.

inky
October 4th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Ouch, that is just the worst feeling. I wonder if something like the custom hook in Richard Binder's "Twicks" kit would work? It is probably meant more for scraping barrel walls clean of sac residue but maybe it would provide a better grip then a paperclip? I would probably try heating the barrel a bit with some dry heat before trying to pull the ring out. The trick will probably be in getting an even pull on at least two sides of the ring so you arn't wedging it sideways when trying to pull it out.

inky
October 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Maybe you could make something like this? Sorry for the poor picture. Lunch break at work and limited supplies :)

jar
October 4th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I assume you are not talking about one of Sheaffers Demonstrator pens but rather one of the clear "School" pens.

A paper clip is still best option. Straighten out fully then bend into a "U" shape and turn the ends of the "U" out. You can squeeze it to get it past the ring and expand to get it out. Put the cap in the freezer for about 15 minutes first.

grandmia
October 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Borrow the good lady,s crochet hook with some (real) lubricant...Good luck.

KrazyIvan
October 4th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes, it's one of those school pens. I will try the suggestions tonight.

manoeuver
October 4th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I assume you are not talking about one of Sheaffers Demonstrator pens but rather one of the clear "School" pens.

A paper clip is still best option. Straighten out fully then bend into a "U" shape and turn the ends of the "U" out. You can squeeze it to get it past the ring and expand to get it out. Put the cap in the freezer for about 15 minutes first.

Borrow the good lady,s crochet hook with some (real) lubricant...Good luck.I like both of these.

inky
October 4th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I like the paperclip idea better then my original chopstick idea. :) What's that saying... "Work smarter not harder?"

KrazyIvan
October 4th, 2012, 02:16 PM
leaning towards the paper clip option, maybe doing two at opposing 90 degrees so it has 4 points to pull a little more evenly.

Laike
October 4th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Could try a pair of needle nose pliers and a rubber band wrapped around the pliers head. Open them gently so the rubber band is the only thing in contact with the ring you're trying to extract and yank. Hopefully there is enough grip on the rubber band that it'll pull the band out but not enough to crack the head. I could try to take photos of what I have in mind if my description isn't good enough.

Maja
October 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Ivan, you're not alone....This happened to some other folks:
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/219958-sheaffer-school-pen-of-some-sort/

(edit: just noticed that "jar" also posted in the FPN thread :p )

KrazyIvan
October 4th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Got it out. Did the single paper clip thing but I pulled then turned the cap until it came close enough to the edge to just pull out with my needle nose pliers. Thanks everyone. :)

inky
October 5th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Glad that worked out!

KrazyIvan
October 5th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Here it is with a test ink, my intention originally. R&K Verdura.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8321/8057815626_a4b1141481_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/8057815626/)
IMG_20121005_100811.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ivan_romero/8057815626/) by IvanRomero (http://www.flickr.com/people/ivan_romero/), on Flickr

jar
October 5th, 2012, 04:12 PM
A first Generation.

KrazyIvan
October 5th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I am no expert on them but it does look old. :)

jar
October 5th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I am no expert on them but it does look old. :)

Not that old, late 50s-early 60s.

inky
October 5th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Very nice!

KrazyIvan
October 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Lol, if it's older than I am... :D

Newton Pens
October 19th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Yep, been there done that. The paperclip thing worked like a charm.

KrazyIvan
October 23rd, 2012, 04:17 PM
The pen leaked yesterday. Looks like the feed just flooded when I had it horizontal my desk. So I just need to keep it upright.