PDA

View Full Version : Burnham No.56 nib

Sagebrush64
July 18th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Hi again all,

I've had this old Burnham No. 56 sitting in the bottom drawer for sometime now and I'd like to do something about the nib which is badly misaligned and bent. I've tried to straighten it myself, but it's beyond my scope.

Again, I've looked around to see if these nibs are readily available, but can't seem to find much out there.

The nib is a (Fine S20) and it appears that almost all of the gold has rubbed off. I'm not interested in spending $$$ to repair it since it's just a D/W.

Can anyone out there help me out? Are there any replacement nibs/feeds/sections which are compatible, etc.

Many Thanks,

James

Jeph
July 19th, 2015, 01:57 AM
The nib does not really look that bad in the picture, but pictures can be deceiving. The gold wash being gone is only cosmetic.

I don't know that specific nib itself, but to find a replacement (unless somebody knows the nib and pen) will require a few measurements.
The radius of curvature of the nib is the most important and can be measured by finding what drill bit (the end that goes into the chuck) fits the underside of the nib tail. Next is the thickness of the nib itself, also as measured at the nib tail. Then there is the width of the nib at the shoulders and the length. The last two don't really need to be exact but help with the proper functioning of the nib.