PDA

View Full Version : For new members

Laurie
July 19th, 2015, 05:40 AM
I am a relative new member although for my many posts trying to learn things about pens etc I have earned the title of "Senior" member. But that is a bit of a misnomer and over praise for my knowledge and experience. However this post is to pass on my recent experiences.

From the beginingI liked the variation that fountain pens nibs can give to your writing. I didnt understand the general term"flex" nibs that is regularly referred to in questions and advertisements for the sale of pens on this forum. My research revealed that some older fountain pens like the Marie Todd etc had nibs that you could flex to achieve great line variation. I made a post seeking advice as to the best vintage pen to give this line variation. Jon Szanto responded with the soundest advice I have ever received. He suggested that I give the old dip nibs a try before spending money to buy an old vintage flex nib pen. Well I followed his advice and bought some dip nibs and made my own oblique pen holders.

This opened up a whole new world which has led me to learning how to write with these old nibs and making my own oblique pen holders and buying some suitable inks like Walnut ink etc. The journey has been truly mind blowing. The line variations that these old nibs can produce just cant be replicated by the modern fountain pens and I dont think even the old flexy fountain pen nibs can get anywhere near some of these nibs.

The following photo is a sample of a sample of my early practice pages in modern copperplate which needs a lot of improvement but gives an indication of the line variation that these old nibs are capable of. I alot about 1 hour a day to practising various letters and mastering the use of the old nibs and the oblique holders.

So whilst undertaking this exercise I have just completely lost my interest in all my beautiful fountain pens for the time being. One positive thing is that I dont have the present need to fulfil my pen desire with the expensive purchase of new fountain pens. Rather my money is being spent on buying old nibs for about $2 and caligraphy inks which are a subject on their own. I have just ordered some walnut powder which I will make some ink from.

So in conclusion I again thank Jon for steering me down this path (bit like the yellow brick road) and really experiencing the wonderful world of writing using various instruments and inks. I can only recommend to any new members of this forum the path I have have been steered down. It is not that expensive to buy the nibs, inks and holders etc and there are free lessons available on forums like "Flourish" that will just envelope you and make you appreciate this great interest in pens and writing.

To any new members mainly young who probably have never heard of a dip nib just watch what this wonderful lady Schin does with these nibs in the following youtube clip (this is a very touchy nib and hard to get started but go forward to about the 8 minute mark where she starts it going and writes the word "Brause" just amazing skill and beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rVo3jTBfhk

After watching that how could you not be impressed.