PDA

View Full Version : On the Road

inky_artist
October 6th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Being new to the forum I thought I'd introduce myself through my art and calligraphy (and, if you're interested, to invite you to look at more of my work on my blog and website.)

Cheers!

KrazyIvan
October 6th, 2012, 08:58 PM
How long did it take you to do that?

inky_artist
October 7th, 2012, 12:22 AM
How long did it take you to do that?

Well, I took one day to tone several pages of the journal (using Japanese lace paper as a stencil), then an evening to pencil in the maps, text, ect. based on notes made during the day's drive, and finally the calligraphy and illuminations were added.

If you're interested in more details (and 11 more journal pages), you might enjoy checking out this blog article about the trip.

http://earnestward.blogspot.com/2012/09/journaling-on-open-road.html

KrazyIvan
October 7th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Your journal is filled with so much awesomeness!

John the Monkey
October 8th, 2012, 12:49 AM
Beautiful work, and I'm envious of your skill with watercolour!

inky_artist
October 8th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Beautiful work, and I'm envious of your skill with watercolour!

John, I envy you living in the country where I did my first watercolours.

Cheers! :thumb:

inky
October 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM
That journal is wonderful! Great idea and fantastic artistry!

Bogon07
October 8th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Wonderful work.

Using the Japanese lace paper as a stencil for the water colour washes to create backgrounds for the journal pages is a great idea.
The green seems to provide a cheery background for the trip.

The botanical illustrations of flowers are very impressive too.

Thanks for sharing such a personal experience.

Okami
October 18th, 2012, 10:11 PM
lovely - I'm now enjoying your blog also

inky_artist
October 19th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks Julie. Hope you were able to find the search window.

penultress
October 23rd, 2012, 07:20 PM
Gorgeous work!

penultress
October 23rd, 2012, 07:21 PM
Gorgeous work! I've bookmarked your blog.

dabrez
October 24th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Your art work is absolutely wonderful and your blog displays your talents very well. Your work was more to me than just your travels. You touched a nerve that brought back memories of dozens of family trips and adventures that I recall with great fondness. And when art touches another person in the way yours touched me it becomes "absolutely wonderful."
Thanks for sharing!

manoeuver
October 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
wow. heading over to your blog next.

DogArtist
November 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Lovely blog and journal pages! The one you shared in the OP is not terribly far from where I live; it is beautiful country around these parts! It is really fun to see creative things from a fellow sketcher/journaler who uses fountain pens. Your blog is now in my Google Reader "Faves" folder.

inky_artist
November 4th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Lovely blog and journal pages! The one you shared in the OP is not terribly far from where I live; it is beautiful country around these parts! It is really fun to see creative things from a fellow sketcher/journaler who uses fountain pens. Your blog is now in my Google Reader "Faves" folder.

Thank you DA for the very kind words. (And I agree, you live in a beautiful part of the country.) While I have only recently revived my obsession with pens in general and fountain pens in particular, I can promise that (now that I've discovered that there are so many of us around) there will be LOTS more FP-related posts on the blog.

Cheers! :-D

DogArtist
November 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I will look forward to them, but also to all your posts. Somehow after never caring about it one whit, after being alive a bit more than half a century, I seem to have developed a strong yearning to travel. I blame Iceland. I went there twice in 2010 on business and was smitten. Now I want to go back, sketchbook in hand and spend a few weeks wandering. Same goes for The Netherlands and a number of other places. But I have started indulging in local day trips to sketch and explore. Very enjoyable. I never go anywhere without a sketch kit these days.

Dee8go
November 6th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Very nice. You've inspired me to follow suit. I have been writing in a journal for years, but it only recently occurred to me to include sketches and illustrations. I have always kept drawing and writing separate. Thanks!