PDA

View Full Version : The end of an Era?

Chrissy
July 21st, 2015, 09:17 AM
Back in the stone age when I was born, we didn't have desk-top computers or laptop computers. We didn't even have mobile phones!:blink:

I can't remember how long I have been using desk top computers, but my current laptop is the only one I have ever had. It's a wide screen Dell, bulky and heavy. It takes a long time to fire up because it's old, and it doesn't always work very well. Last year when I was visiting the US we knew that there were new rules that said laptops had to be started up to go through security. To be honest, my laptop has never liked starting up with the battery. We've even bought a replacement battery but it made no difference. Anyway, going out to the US it started up. I thought it was a miracle. Coming back into the UK, from the US I found myself not caring whether it started up or not, I was quite prepared to say well just keep it. It's really that bad.:help:

I've always used PC's and have never even tried a Mac.

Today, that will all change. my OH has retired from work, and we've had a mini celebration by treating ourselves to two brand new all-singing, all-dancing Apple Mac machines. They have both arrived today.:bounce:

History has shown that setting up such things doesn't always go smoothly. We're starting with the laptop and then moving onto the desktop if all goes well.:typing:

I hope that I can transfer my documents and my photos, and still do scans and print. If I can't it may be a while before you see me.:ph34r:

I hope that I'll be back...

tiffanyhenschel
July 21st, 2015, 09:27 AM
Congratations, and have fun with your new toys :)
I made the switch from a Dell to a MacBook a year and half ago for work, and I don't regret it at all. Some of my family warned me that I would hate it, but now I am looking forward to my home computer to wear out so I can replace it with another MacBook.

sgtstretch
July 21st, 2015, 09:44 AM
Have fun and enjoy. If you need any help, I'll be glad to help. I've used Macs my entire life so I know most of the tips and tricks.

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 09:45 AM
'Congratulations' Chrissy.

Always wanted a Mac - can only afford an iPod.😊

Lady Onogaro
July 21st, 2015, 09:48 AM
I had an HP laptop, and to be frank, I hated it. Last year I finally caved in and bought a MacBook, and I love it. I gave the HP to my husband, who uses it for his chess programs. Occasionally, I use it when I need a larger screen. But I much prefer the Mac to the PC.

MY63
July 21st, 2015, 10:18 AM
Good luck with the change over I am sure that you will pick it up quickly

manoeuver
July 21st, 2015, 10:26 AM
hope you dig the mac.

FredRydr
July 21st, 2015, 10:42 AM
And then, once you have a Mac and you find out how it works with an iPhone, you're really hooked.

Fred

eriquito
July 21st, 2015, 10:55 AM
I found the transition from PC to Mac only slightly awkward. Very much like visiting England, knowing that everyone is speaking English, but running in to a few new terms and phrases.

Once that slightly awkward transition is complete, you'll never look back.

Good luck!

=) Eric

Marsilius
July 21st, 2015, 11:07 AM
Yes. Like roads England things are mirror image from Mac to PC. I found it harder to go from Mac to PC, but that may be because Macs traditionally "pamper" fuzzy thinkers? If u use Powerpoint, Keynote is WONDERFUL.

Hawk
July 21st, 2015, 11:07 AM
We switched years ago. It has been a great ride. With all of the Apple products we have purchased, I feel we should get a quantity discount (which won't happen). Apple has come a long way.

tandaina
July 21st, 2015, 11:12 AM
Yup, switched years ago and would never go back. There are some good "switcher" guides out there. Search for "Switching from PC to Mac" or "Switch from Windows to Mac" and you'll find lots of great information. I'm so used to Mac now I can't navigate a windows PC to save my life.

Robert
July 21st, 2015, 11:27 AM
I have used Mac PowerBooks/MacBooks since 1994 - - never regretted the switch from Windoze and neither will you.

Cob
July 21st, 2015, 11:27 AM
Well, someone has to swim against the tide and that someone is me.

Three years ago I was obliged to use a Mac; I hated it.

Never again!

Cob

Chrissy
July 21st, 2015, 11:40 AM
Well thank you all very much for your kind comments, and here I am typing my first ever words on my MacBook Pro :wave: :bounce:

I have to say that it has all been quite straightforward so far. The only thing we don't have is an ID each. I already had an Apple ID, so we've used that. It's had us set up encryption that happens when we switch off this machine, but I'm up and running with email and FPG so I'm happy.

We have no printer attached yet, so that's something to do later.

I have a couple of questions for Mac experts please:

Does anyone know where the delete key is? I have only found backspace so far.

My OH didn't think it was a great idea to add this up to date machine to our 10 year old PC format network, but this MacBook said that would be the way to transfer all of our documents and files over. I assume that by setting up a new network with this laptop and our desktop there might still be an easy way of transferring files. Is that correct?

I'm sure I will think of other questions, but so far this rocks! :rockon:

Crazyorange
July 21st, 2015, 11:46 AM
Congrats....you're a smart women. I bought a dell 2 years ago and regret the purchase all the time. The windows format sucks. I just dropped off the laptop to have a virus removed from it. I almost said screw it (instead buy a Mac). But I need to save for the Mac. Windows is the pits.

Laura N
July 21st, 2015, 11:55 AM
Well thank you all very much for your kind comments, and here I am typing my first ever words on my MacBook Pro :wave: :bounce:

I have to say that it has all been quite straightforward so far. The only thing we don't have is an ID each. I already had an Apple ID, so we've used that. It's had us set up encryption that happens when we switch off this machine, but I'm up and running with email and FPG so I'm happy.

We have no printer attached yet, so that's something to do later.

I have a couple of questions for Mac experts please:

Does anyone know where the delete key is? I have only found backspace so far.

My OH didn't think it was a great idea to add this up to date machine to our 10 year old PC format network, but this MacBook said that would be the way to transfer all of our documents and files over. I assume that by setting up a new network with this laptop and our desktop there might still be an easy way of transferring files. Is that correct?

I'm sure I will think of other questions, but so far this rocks! :rockon:

On my laptop which has a different keyboard than my desktop, the delete key is in the second row from the top all the way to the right. To forward delete you have to do "fn" then "delete," I think. But that doesn't work on every keyboard. When I google keyboard questions, I make sure to put in your machine -- e.g., "forward delete macbook pro." -- because I know it's different on my laptop than our old iMac.

You should be able to move your files onto a hard drive if you have one that does both.

I gave up on encryption, but I definitely recommend the Time Machine backups. On the desktops we have those attached permanently, and I try to make sure to plug in the Time Machine backup drive at least once daily on my laptop, and before any major operating system install. Time Machine is great, should you ever have a problem.

Chrissy
July 21st, 2015, 12:11 PM

Always wanted a Mac - can only afford an iPod.😊

I know what you mean. We've never been able to afford one until now. Are you due to retire soon? ;)

Costanza
July 21st, 2015, 12:24 PM
Congrats, Chrissy. Once you go Mac you never go back. You will love it. I have been in the Apple ecosystem for almost 20 years. I haven't owned a Windows computer in 12 years nor have I used one in 5. It is a great feeling. Especially when you integrate everything.

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 12:29 PM

Always wanted a Mac - can only afford an iPod.[emoji4]

I know what you mean. We've never been able to afford one until now. Are you due to retire soon? ;)

Sadly not

In fact the way the retirement age is increasing it seems like retirement is receding rather than coming closer.

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 01:31 PM

Never again!

Cob

Hah! Excellent Cob.

carlc
July 21st, 2015, 01:37 PM
Anybody tried a Linux setup for personal use?

I have an old Dell running Ubuntu but oddly hardly ever dig it out of the cupboard.

To be fair the machine was bottom of the range and slow, even when new, and even Linux runs somewhat sluggishly.

Then again - shiny macbook - oooh!

sgtstretch
July 21st, 2015, 01:38 PM

I have an old Dell running Ubuntu but oddly hardly ever dig it out of the cupboard.

To be fair the machine was bottom of the range and slow, even when new, and even Linux runs somewhat sluggishly.

My brother uses Linux daily, not sure what distro, but he's in college taking computer science stuff. I use Linux to run a Minecraft server at home. It's not horrible, but I wouldn't want to use it every day.

southpaw52
July 21st, 2015, 01:40 PM
Congrats on your purchases. Hope it goes trouble free.

Chrissy
July 21st, 2015, 03:33 PM
On my laptop which has a different keyboard than my desktop, the delete key is in the second row from the top all the way to the right. To forward delete you have to do "fn" then "delete," I think. But that doesn't work on every keyboard. When I google keyboard questions, I make sure to put in your machine -- e.g., "forward delete macbook pro." -- because I know it's different on my laptop than our old iMac.

You should be able to move your files onto a hard drive if you have one that does both.

I gave up on encryption, but I definitely recommend the Time Machine backups. On the desktops we have those attached permanently, and I try to make sure to plug in the Time Machine backup drive at least once daily on my laptop, and before any major operating system install. Time Machine is great, should you ever have a problem.

Now I see it's a slight English/US language difference as I found the delete key second row from the top all the way to the right. I was looking for forward delete. Thanks for that.

We haven't moved any files yet, because we're going to set-up the desktop tomorrow. Once we have that set up we will hopefully be able to add the printers, set up a network and move files.

Time Machine backups sound interesting. I will look into those. Thank you for your help. :)

Chrissy
July 21st, 2015, 03:36 PM

Never again!

Cob

My neighbour says exactly the same thing. She hates Macs too.

I expect some frustrations will arise eventually as I don't think any computers are perfect

Cob
July 21st, 2015, 03:46 PM

Never again!

Cob

My neighbour says exactly the same thing. She hates Macs too.

I expect some frustrations will arise eventually as I don't think any computers are perfect

Ha ha - please pass on my compliments!

I should add that my computers are far from perfect - the new one is worse than the old one to which I shall return very soon.

Good luck

Cob

pengeezer
July 21st, 2015, 05:20 PM

Never again!

Cob

Right there along side you Cob......been using PC(Dell) for quite some time. Just certain things about Windoze
that I don't utilize,making my time using a PC that much more enjoyable!

John

fqgouvea
July 21st, 2015, 05:43 PM
If I ever got a Mac, I'm sue I'd just open a terminal window and use unix commands for everything...

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

tandaina
July 21st, 2015, 06:50 PM
If I ever got a Mac, I'm sue I'd just open a terminal window and use unix commands for everything...

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

I did that at first, but I have used them less and less over the years. It has by now been ages since I opened a terminal, the graphical interface is just so well designed I don't need the terminal stuff. I'm surprised, but it happened!

Scrawler
July 21st, 2015, 09:10 PM

Two of the machines on my desktop are Linux. One is Mint 13, the other Mint 17. Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu. For all normal purposes they are just fine. They come with nice easy to use office packages and are not really that different from using Windows XP. The fonts are slightly different and consequently the appearance of some web pages is a little different to Windows XP, which is what I am using right now. One of my Linux machines (Mint 13) starts instantly, but then it is SSD and has 12 3.2 GHz processors, so it should. I am about to inherit my daughter's lap to Mac, when she goes to England for school. I get the impression that the Mac is designed more for entertainment than for serious work, and that it is very unlikely that some of the programs I need for work can be gotten for them. I am planning to add a Windows 7 machine to this collection next month, so I will be in a position to compare them soon. My Mint 17 machine is very old and slow to boot, but when it is running I see no slowness in running aps.

carlc
July 22nd, 2015, 12:47 AM
Thanks Scrawler. I might check Mint out.

We have a windows tower at home and the old Dell. The tower is Windows 7 and is the shared PC. As I noted the Dell is old, and slow, and I use Ubuntu as windows is desperately slow so a smaller distro may be helpful as long as it is analogue eejit friendly.

Alanc
July 22nd, 2015, 04:17 AM
The company,from which I have now retired, used a windows based system. We had a very busy IT manager constantly working to keep things running smoothly. When asked what he used personally, well you can guess! He had a 27 inch iMac, two Macbook pros, a Mac mini for storing his extensive film collection an iPhone etc.
I have a 27 inch iMac, iPad and iPhone, they are all interconnected and I can control my Sonos system from each.
I have never had any problems (so far!).
There are pros and cons for any system, but I am very happy with my choice.

Chrissy
July 22nd, 2015, 05:08 AM
The company,from which I have now retired, used a windows based system. We had a very busy IT manager constantly working to keep things running smoothly. When asked what he used personally, well you can guess! He had a 27 inch iMac, two Macbook pros, a Mac mini for storing his extensive film collection an iPhone etc.
I have a 27 inch iMac, iPad and iPhone, they are all interconnected and I can control my Sonos system from each.
I have never had any problems (so far!).
There are pros and cons for any system, but I am very happy with my choice.

So far I am also happy with my choice

Chrissy
July 22nd, 2015, 05:17 AM
We have now set-up the iMac although we had a couple more glitches than when we set-up the MacBook

We thought we should connect our ethernet cable to give us more speed, but the iMac wouldn't proceed until after we unplugged it. It obviously prefers to be wireless. Does anyone else have ethernet via cable?

Alanc
July 22nd, 2015, 05:31 AM
We have now set-up the iMac although we had a couple more glitches than when we set-up the MacBook

We thought we should connect our ethernet cable to give us more speed, but the iMac wouldn't proceed until after we unplugged it. It obviously prefers to be wireless. Does anyone else have ethernet via cable?

I am using an Apple Airport Extreme router, all wireless apart from the Sonos bridge, this is connected by ethernet cable to the router. All works fast with no gliches.

Deb
July 22nd, 2015, 05:43 AM
I'm another one in the PC camp. Through the various versions of Windows up to Windows 2000, instability of the systems made Linux or Free BSD preferable. Since then I found Windows to be stable and fully adequate for what I do. The Mac just seems to me to be a more expensive way of doing the same thing. I have a laptop with Ubuntu on it but I seem to use it less and less. It makes more sense to do everything on one platform.

Chrissy
July 22nd, 2015, 05:44 AM

I am using an Apple Airport Extreme router, all wireless apart from the Sonos bridge, this is connected by ethernet cable to the router. All works fast with no gliches.

Maybe we can add the ethernet cable at a later date then. It couldn't proceed through it's usual wireless set-up, with the cable plugged in.

Waski_the_Squirrel
July 22nd, 2015, 08:01 AM
You know what they say: "Once you go Mac, you never go back."

I was forced into using a Mac when the school provided my first classroom computer. I had bad feelings about them from earlier experiences with Apple IIe and whatever their OS was before X. But, this was an iMac with the first OS X. After a few weeks, I was in love.

Now the school where I work provides PCs, but my personal machine is still a Mac.

As for the Linux question: for years I ran a Linux thin-client lab in my classroom until a lightning strike destroyed the server and thereby the network. I do like Linux, but can't justify getting one.

FredRydr
July 22nd, 2015, 08:10 PM
...We thought we should connect our ethernet cable to give us more speed, but the iMac wouldn't proceed until after we unplugged it. It obviously prefers to be wireless. Does anyone else have ethernet via cable?
Turn off wireless in System Preferences/Network/[Turn Wifi Off].

Fred

Newjelan
July 27th, 2015, 02:19 AM
I started my career in the 1980s working for a company with 140,000 employees. My first role was to review PCs and packaged software. A dream job for a computing graduate. I fell in love with the Macintosh as soon as I used it. 20 years later and no longer working in IT, I set up my consulting business. I bought a MacBook and the love affair was reborn. My offices & home are fully Apple and all the staff are converts. I made the change because, when running a small business reliant on technology, especially mobile technology, I wanted ease of use, reliability and simple integration. We don't need to pay for technical support, have never needed it and the reliability is brilliant. The only issue in the past 10yrs has been 2 hard drives have played up in 2 different MacBook Pros, both of which had spent lots of time bouncing around in car boots. Because we use Time Capsule, everything was backed up and both drives were replaced under warranty. Occasionally I have to run a presentation via a client's Windows machine and it reminds me how lucky I am.

Chrissy
July 27th, 2015, 06:07 AM
I started my career in the 1980s working for a company with 140,000 employees. My first role was to review PCs and packaged software. A dream job for a computing graduate. I fell in love with the Macintosh as soon as I used it. 20 years later and no longer working in IT, I set up my consulting business. I bought a MacBook and the love affair was reborn. My offices & home are fully Apple and all the staff are converts. I made the change because, when running a small business reliant on technology, especially mobile technology, I wanted ease of use, reliability and simple integration. We don't need to pay for technical support, have never needed it and the reliability is brilliant. The only issue in the past 10yrs has been 2 hard drives have played up in 2 different
MacBook Pros, both of which had spent lots of time bouncing around in car boots. Because we use Time Capsule, everything was backed up and both drives were replaced under warranty. Occasionally I have to run a presentation via a client's Windows machine and it reminds me how lucky I am.

That's a great observation, and thank you for it.

Well the latest update is that one of our printers (HP All in One) 'sort of' works. I say 'sort of' works because despite the fact that it's only 3 years old, and it's a colour printer, photo printer, copier and scanner, only basic printing works. So that's a big hitch when it comes to scanning in my ink reviews, but hey I love a challenge! The other printer is a Dell all in one laser. Dell don't support any Mac software for their printers, and Mac don't support any Dell printers so the less said about that the better. So we can throw that in the bin.

Edit: The latest software for our current HP printer magically appeared today. :clap2: We suspect Apple updated it.

It turned out that my copy of Adobe Photoshop CS5 extended wasn't transferrable to the Mac platform. After an email to the Europe CEO I have a replacement Mac key as long as I give up my Windows version. Deal! So there has been good news and bad news. We're getting there though. My glass is currently half full! It was completely full, but I drank half of it! ;)

Bobjpage
July 28th, 2015, 06:01 AM
David Pogue's book, "Pogue's Basics," covers every trick you need to know about the Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad, and associated operating systems. Pogue is now editor of Yahoo! Tech; he was a technology columnist for The New York Times for about 15 years.

Sailor Kenshin
July 28th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Back in the stone age when I was born, we didn't have desk-top computers or laptop computers. We didn't even have mobile phones!:blink:

I can't remember how long I have been using desk top computers, but my current laptop is the only one I have ever had. It's a wide screen Dell, bulky and heavy. It takes a long time to fire up because it's old, and it doesn't always work very well. Last year when I was visiting the US we knew that there were new rules that said laptops had to be started up to go through security. To be honest, my laptop has never liked starting up with the battery. We've even bought a replacement battery but it made no difference. Anyway, going out to the US it started up. I thought it was a miracle. Coming back into the UK, from the US I found myself not caring whether it started up or not, I was quite prepared to say well just keep it. It's really that bad.:help:

I've always used PC's and have never even tried a Mac.

Today, that will all change. my OH has retired from work, and we've had a mini celebration by treating ourselves to two brand new all-singing, all-dancing Apple Mac machines. They have both arrived today.:bounce:

History has shown that setting up such things doesn't always go smoothly. We're starting with the laptop and then moving onto the desktop if all goes well.:typing:

I hope that I can transfer my documents and my photos, and still do scans and print. If I can't it may be a while before you see me.:ph34r:

I hope that I'll be back...

Well, shoot! Since we are in a similar position, we may be following in your footsteps. Good luck with the Mac!

Oh...and how is browsing teh innerwebz, especially forums like this one? Similar? Better? Worse?

Chrissy
July 28th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Well, shoot! Since we are in a similar position, we may be following in your footsteps. Good luck with the Mac!

Oh...and how is browsing teh innerwebz, especially forums like this one? Similar? Better? Worse?

We both love our Macs. They are so much more straightforward to use than Windows PCs. I regret all of those years when I've been so frustrated at my PC.

We couldn't get all of our printer features to work until today, when the iMac just downloaded an update all by itself, and installed it.

Browsing web-pages is much better. Simple in fact

Laura N
July 28th, 2015, 10:53 AM
The only thing I miss about PCs is Free Cell. That got me through a lot of boring phone calls at work, back in the day....

Chrissy
July 28th, 2015, 03:08 PM
The only thing I miss about PCs is Free Cell. That got me through a lot of boring phone calls at work, back in the day....

Is there nothing that is similar for Mac?

Laura N
July 28th, 2015, 03:16 PM

Is there nothing that is similar for Mac?

Well, there wasn't back when I switched, but there might be now. :)

FredRydr
July 28th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Then there is the Apple Mac fountain pen.

Fred

Chrissy
July 29th, 2015, 02:20 AM
Of course. Don't you have one? :bounce:

Crazyorange
July 29th, 2015, 07:34 AM
Well for all of us windows users....Microsoft is giving a FREE upgrade to the crappy windows 10. Aren't you Mac users jealous???[emoji6]

MY63
July 29th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Of course. Don't you have one? :bounce:

is that the fountain pen that only apple can refill :)

Chrissy
July 29th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Well for all of us windows users....Microsoft is giving a FREE upgrade to the crappy windows 10. Aren't you Mac users jealous???[emoji6]

That's what you call getting something for nothing or something like that. :)

Crazyorange
July 29th, 2015, 09:45 AM

It's called a pita. Free pain in the ass.

sgtstretch
July 29th, 2015, 10:28 AM

But at least it fixes the horrendous Windows 8 Start Menu.

Crazyorange
July 29th, 2015, 10:31 AM

Never had windows 8. I'm guessing there's worse versions than 10?

sgtstretch
July 29th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Never had windows 8. I'm guessing there's worse versions than 10?

After using Windows 8 on my work PC for the past 2 years, I'm looking forward to installing Windows 10. It takes what was good from Windows 7 and 8 and combines them.