PDA

View Full Version : Frankenpreppy

sharmon202
July 21st, 2015, 04:22 PM
I will do a short review on the Preppy 02. I love how this pen writes. It is a nice, narrow line great for work, love the nib. Altogether I have four or five of these. Every single one started cap cracking within 3 weeks and will not stay on in another one or two. I extended life a couple times using cellophane tape, hated that personally. I do not abuse my pens, even the inexpensive ones so I will not take one ounce of blame for this, Platinum. I have asked pen supplier and they say Platinum knows about this issue, they did not say Platinum was or was not trying to do anything about it. When I complained, Goulet sent me a couple of replacements, for what god that did either of us. I am now resorting to using preppy 03 caps as I have several of these and do not like the 03 nib, too wide a line for me. I have only used the 03 cap for a couple weeks, too soon to see if it ill crack, I am betting it will not. Anyone else tried this? (see frankenpen pic). I know this issue is well known to most of the fp community, are you still buying them?

luhkey
July 23rd, 2015, 07:34 AM
the Preppy has a lot going for it. and a little going against it.

against it..
you have cracking. the plastic they chose for key areas doesn't have the correct properties to handle the stresses of the design (snap-cap).
the design of the feeding system and nib while having it's benefits, also gets in your way when you need to clean them or maintain them. (i don't even try to change inks in them anymore).
the nibs offered are few, and the quality of the nib grinding, in my sample size at least, has been variable. to the extent that some nibs were unusable while a couple were amazing.

great pens though. or should i say great pen system.
i would suggest that when you get one set up that you like and want to use alot or put into your daily life, go over to one of the online retailers
and pick up a Plaisir in a suitable color of your choice. the Plaisir is the same pen with just a metal cap and barrel. different material
and shape but totally interchangeable parts. i have tons of the things as such. many with marker tips and inks chosen for a specific job.

when you need a cheap pen to sit someplace sealed up waiting.
a pen that you never intend to swap inks with, but still would like to be able to refill.
or a pen you can lend somebody, you can't find a pen more suited to the task.

i hate the flaws that they have, but i love the pens for what they do.

sharmon202
July 23rd, 2015, 03:59 PM
the Preppy has a lot going for it. and a little going against it.

against it..
you have cracking. the plastic they chose for key areas doesn't have the correct properties to handle the stresses of the design (snap-cap).
the design of the feeding system and nib while having it's benefits, also gets in your way when you need to clean them or maintain them. (i don't even try to change inks in them anymore).
the nibs offered are few, and the quality of the nib grinding, in my sample size at least, has been variable. to the extent that some nibs were unusable while a couple were amazing.

great pens though. or should i say great pen system.
i would suggest that when you get one set up that you like and want to use alot or put into your daily life, go over to one of the online retailers
and pick up a Plaisir in a suitable color of your choice. the Plaisir is the same pen with just a metal cap and barrel. different material
and shape but totally interchangeable parts. i have tons of the things as such. many with marker tips and inks chosen for a specific job.

when you need a cheap pen to sit someplace sealed up waiting.
a pen that you never intend to swap inks with, but still would like to be able to refill.
or a pen you can lend somebody, you can't find a pen more suited to the task.

i hate the flaws that they have, but i love the pens for what they do.

I clean these fast & easy...I rinse, take nib & feed out, rinse then into the ultrasonic cleaner for a few min. Occasionally it takes another cycle and/or maybe the ear bulb but over all it does not take more than 8 min. and is super clean. I know about the Plaisir, thanks for checking. It is too wide a pen and I did not like the feel of that metal, I gave it to a friend.
Platinum has engineers why don't they fix this?
Any other ideas maybe?
thanks luhkey

luhkey
July 24th, 2015, 01:18 AM
ohh nice tip. i'll have to get one of those ultrasonic cleaners soon.
you could put some clear tape around the lip of the cap. that might help get some more life out of them. i know some other people have done that.

sharmon202
July 24th, 2015, 03:26 PM
ohh nice tip. i'll have to get one of those ultrasonic cleaners soon.
you could put some clear tape around the lip of the cap. that might help get some more life out of them. i know some other people have done that.

Have done the tape thing 3 times until it irritates me to no end and clean and store it or try another cap. It does work, for a while. It does extend to the end of the ink supply then its got to go.

Platinum, do you hear us? What are you doing about this???????

KrazyIvan
July 24th, 2015, 03:42 PM
They are disposable pens. It's planned obsolescence really. With that said, I have only 1 Preppy. It had been constantly inked for 2 years IIRC. That is until the cap cracked in May. I have used it in my Sherpa so not too worried about it. If you don't like the Plasir, you will not like the Sherpa. It's bigger but the Preppy's make good refills for it.