PDA

View Full Version : Sherwood green

Blastmaster1972
July 22nd, 2015, 09:51 AM
I'm quite new to this ink buisiness (up till now all I used was Parker Quink Blue cartridges and Pelikan 4001 Königsblau cartridges)

But, now that I have some convertor and piston filled pens, I wanted to try something new.

Sherwood Green was a colour that caught my eye, after browsing the interwebs a bit. But it seems that there are two brands that have this colour, Diamine and Private Reserve.

Which one would you choose? Are there people here who have tried both, and have a preference for one of the 2 brands?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kind regards,

Jos

FredRydr
July 22nd, 2015, 09:55 AM
I would choose Diamine, only because years ago I was given Sherwood Green and re-gave it not long after. Damn if I can remember why, but I didn't like it. How's that for a reason?:confused:

Fred

naimitsu
July 22nd, 2015, 10:06 AM
Typically, I would go for a Diamine ink before a Private Reserve ink. The main reason for this is that I have had issues with Private Reserve inks. A number of their inks have made a wet, smooth writer into a skippy monster. They have some fantastic colors, but Private Reserve is in the same boat as Noodler's for me. Fantastic colors, ugly formulation.

Other brands to look at are J. Herbin, Pilot Iroshizuku, Pelikan (both 4001 and Edelstein formulations), standard line Montblanc, and de Atramentis. Those brands are ones I have been favoring lately and are typically well behaved.

Also, if you like Sherwood Green, check out Rohrer & Klingner Verdura. It is a very nice, vibrant green.

Though if you are new to inks, I'd check out Anderson Pens (http://www.andersonpens.com) and the Goulet Pen Company (http://www.gouletpens.com/) for samples. Goulet is running a sale on their samples, and if you want to explore inks w/o having to make the choices, or if you like surprises, join Goulet's Ink Drop. You get 5 2ml vials for $10/mo to try out. I've been tempted to join, but I started out buying samples, and have somehow ended up with 150+ samples to try out and judge!

Also, keep an eye out for the next Mystery Ink round and sign up! You'll get an ink without any prejudicing information and all that is asked from you is an honest review :D

Chrissy
July 22nd, 2015, 10:17 AM
Diamine Sherwood green is lovely. If I was you I would look in the Ink Reviews forum and read my review for it as it might help you make an informed decision

sgtstretch
July 22nd, 2015, 11:27 AM
I have Diamine SG and have used Private Reserve SG. I like the Diamine better. It is subtle, but the color is nicer.

Laura N
July 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM
I've used both and I chose the Diamine, so mine is another vote for the Diamine Sherwood Green. It's a great ink, in a great color, that is relatively easy to clean.

migo984
July 22nd, 2015, 02:42 PM
I use both and they are both OK. No behaviour problems with the PR for me, in any pen. The Diamine is perfectly useable too, but it has the Diamine typical flat spots in the colour. That doesn't matter if you are happy with a generic green, and it does its job perfectly well. I use it fairly often.

I do agree with naimitsu - for a more vibrant, exciting green try Rohrer & Klingner Verdura. There are plenty of other greens in this tonal range too.

Blastmaster1972
July 23rd, 2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the comments people, I will consider them.

(in the meantime, I have started using the Sherwood Green from Private Reserve that I received the other day! ;) )

Kind regards,

Jos

KrazyIvan
July 24th, 2015, 04:13 PM
Get ink samples from the Goulets or the Andersons and find out for yourself which you like best. You are the only one that knows what you like. :)

ThirdeYe
August 2nd, 2015, 09:10 PM
I used the Diamine version in one of my Hero pens and also my Pelikan M800 and enjoyed it in both. I have no experience with the Private Reserve version, but I have read that it was not as well behaved.

Bentlink
August 6th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I, too am pretty new at ink experimentation, but have used fountain pens since the '80s. PR Sherwood Green is my first diversion from blue and black from my local brick & mortar shops. I dig the color, and it behaves quite well. I'm happy with it, and would buy it again.

Malcolm
August 7th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Diamine. :thumb:

Jon Szanto
August 7th, 2015, 02:02 AM
IF YOU DON'T USE
THE DIAMINE INK
AND NO ONE EVER
TALKS TO YOU AGAIN,
DON'T BLAME US.

WE TRIED TO WARN YOU.]

Waltman
August 14th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I use Diamine SG and I've had good results with it. The flow is good and I like the dark green color.

FredRydr
August 18th, 2015, 09:35 PM
...WE TRIED TO WARN YOU....
Jon, you're not drinking the stuff, are you?

Fred

Jon Szanto
August 18th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Jon, you're not drinking the stuff, are you?

Yep, and neat, too. I'm no sissy.