PDA

View Full Version : International Lefthanders Day

southpaw52
July 23rd, 2015, 03:20 PM
Yes, left handers have a special day coming up on the 13th of August International Left Handers Day. A day for those that were born with the uniqueness of being left handed. Only left handed people that living in the strange world of everything be meant for right handers will understand.

Embrace your smudge!

Sailor Kenshin
July 23rd, 2015, 04:15 PM
Love the image, lol. In fact, it looks like MI-10 'Carli' is having a Meetup with MB Gandhi!

Dreck
July 23rd, 2015, 05:46 PM
I'm a proud lefty, but I learned to write properly, so I vehemently reject the smudge.
I didn't realize we have a day. That's pretty cool.

Silverbreeze
July 23rd, 2015, 06:05 PM
•lifts a fistful pens like a liberty torch •

Laura N
July 23rd, 2015, 07:31 PM
My mother was a left-hander. Is it genetic? I was told that I started trying to write with my left hand, but was gently encouraged to use my right instead, and I ended up right-handed. The same thing happened with one of my daughters: she naturally favored her left hand at an early age but we encouraged her to learn to write and draw with her right, and she took to that very easily.

My mother always said it was hard to be left-handed. She'd be glad to have a day. :)

Silverbreeze
July 24th, 2015, 04:21 AM
The hard part is equipment mostly

School desks are shaped for right handed, so to be able to write we twist into odd shapes. By the time most of us are free of shaped desks and on lab tables the habit is ingrained.

Scissors and knives are sharp on the wrong side

Wire bond notebooks are often used backwards

Fountain Pens are an acquired taste

Scrawler
July 24th, 2015, 04:34 AM
My mother was a left-hander. Is it genetic? I was told that I started trying to write with my left hand, but was gently encouraged to use my right instead, and I ended up right-handed. The same thing happened with one of my daughters: she naturally favored her left hand at an early age but we encouraged her to learn to write and draw with her right, and she took to that very easily.

My mother always said it was hard to be left-handed. She'd be glad to have a day. :)
I believe it is genetic. My brother is firmly left-handed as is my daughter and two nieces. I was left-handed, but was forced by various forms of abuse to write with my right hand. There are many things I do better with my left than my right. My handwriting is very poor, and I cannot write with a ball point, because I cannot press and move my hand at the same time. If you observe the British royal family, you will see that left-handedness runs in the current male line.

RuiFromUK
July 24th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Does it include ambidextrous?

Sailor Kenshin
July 24th, 2015, 07:57 AM
The hard part is equipment mostly

School desks are shaped for right handed, so to be able to write we twist into odd shapes. By the time most of us are free of shaped desks and on lab tables the habit is ingrained.

Scissors and knives are sharp on the wrong side

Wire bond notebooks are often used backwards

Fountain Pens are an acquired taste

Oh yes! And I use ALL my notebooks backward!

But oddly enough, I always use scissors with my right hand, and once I beat an opponent at badminton by switching to my right to make the shot.

Dreck
July 24th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Never had an issue with scissors or knives, and being an underwriter, 3-ring binders and spiral notebooks aren't that much of a problem, although I do concur about the desks.
My father was forced to be right handed. My grandfather, who taught me how to fish, shoot, and play baseball, insisted I learn things"the right way, " so the things I learned from him I do right handed, and I find it awkward to try to do any of them (except bat) left-handed.

southpaw52
July 24th, 2015, 03:52 PM
I'm the only in my family to be left handed.

southpaw52
July 24th, 2015, 03:54 PM

Most left handers use both hands to some extent.

Scrawler
July 24th, 2015, 04:19 PM

Most left handers use both hands to some extent.

I have just come in from smashing rocks. When one hand got tired from striking the chisel with the hammer, I simply swapped hands. In my experience most people who were born right handed can only weild a hammer with their right hand.

Newjelan
July 26th, 2015, 02:36 AM

I'm ambidextrous and I proudly claim to be left handed on left handers' day. I've ordered a "hoodie" that says "I'm left handed, what's your superpower?"