PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Exterior of Visconti Lava Prns

Waltman
July 26th, 2015, 01:01 PM
Hi All,

I have a Visconti Homo Sapiens Lava (steel) fp that I love.

However, I'm using Diamine Hope Pink ink and I have some staining on the section. Any recommendations on how to clean it or should I just chalk it up to "patina" and accept the stain as part of the pen's character?

KR,
Walt

Misfit
July 28th, 2015, 03:06 AM
My brother had a problem with his, and I think he used Vasoline on it. I tried checking FPN where he posted about it, but it's not working right now, at least on my phone.

I'll try checking tomorrow and see if I can locate his post, and see what his problem was with his HS. I think he said it turned white at some point but I need to check to be sure.

carlc
July 28th, 2015, 03:40 AM
Just been to check and FPN is definitely down on my PC.

I'm posting because I'm interested in the answer - it's an issue that has always put me off the pen.

Waltman
July 28th, 2015, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the posts. It is the porous nature of the material that makes it act like a sponge. The pen does feel really comfortable in the hand. However, it also wicks sweat from your fingers as you write, so I imagine, over time, the pen will develop patina where my fingers rest.

KrazyIvan
July 28th, 2015, 03:08 PM
I have also seen the reference to Vaseline but I have also seen Nivea hand cream references. Mostly it was to darken the material, not to clean it IIRC.

Misfit
July 28th, 2015, 04:29 PM
http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/186538-saving-my-visconti-homo-sapiens/?&p=1882630&hl=lava&fromsearch=1
I've posted the link to my brother's story. His HS got stained by Bay State Blue. He did a no-no and used ammonia water. That turned the HS white. Vaseline restored it. Not sure if his experience would help your situation, but if you want to try that link and read his HS story, who knows, it might or might not offer a solution.

On an off topic, while traveling with a 4-cup coffee maker, it got too hot and left a mark on the wood chair in the motel room. I had some old cold cream, and it seemed to take care of it. It had an oil like base I think because it tended to separate after sitting unused.

Jon Szanto
July 28th, 2015, 05:47 PM
I think the safest thing is to throw it in an active volcano and wait for it to come out again.

Misfit
July 28th, 2015, 05:55 PM
Is a volcano still active in Hawaii? My bronze HS sympathizes with yours.

Jon Szanto
July 28th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Is a volcano still active in Hawaii? My bronze HS sympathizes with yours.

The flows are very slow right now, but still active to some extent. I was just there last week. If it's pink ink this thing is going to need to be flung into something more powerful, like the one's that have been going off in South America. You can't be too careful with pink, you've really got to nuke it with magma. ;)

Tracy Lee
July 29th, 2015, 05:01 AM
Soap and water. I have scrubbed mine clean from ink that stained, dip it in a little pen flush works great too. This pen is not fragile and comes clean quite easily. Lotion is good for moisturizing the material and preventing that "ashy" look, but does not clean necessarily. I have two of these pens, both stay nice and clean with this simple approach.

FP Newbie
July 31st, 2015, 06:19 AM
I just used a little bit of dish soapy water, and didn't have any problems. Now I only use the Visconti traveling inkwell. It doesn't let ink get on the section, works like a charm. I haven't used it enough to require moisturizer. Interesting fix though, thanks.
-John-