PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Omaha, Nebraska!

ajzeller
October 7th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Aaron Zeller and I'm from Omaha, Nebraska (as I subtly hinted to in the post title ;) ) My FP collection isn't that large, right around 10 pens at the moment with nothing too extravagant in there (for the moment!) The nicest pens in my collection are probably my yellow Pilot Vanishing point and my Taccia Savannah. I hope to add quite a bit though as time progresses.

For inks, my favorite would probably be Private Reserve Chocolat, however since I retail inks, I'm getting new ones to fall in love with all of the time! I actually really like the new Scribal Work Shop ink called Kraken - it's basically an ultra dark grey (it appears black when used with FMB nibs) with some amazing shading.

For an occupation, I started (and still am) a photographer in Omaha and specialize in seniors, engagements, and weddings. I also retail a lot of awesome inks, paper, and writing accessories in the Zeller Writing Company which helps support my schooling and family (and my fountain pen addiction!) I also hand make some writing accessories for the store with a lot in the works (we are currently working on making some rocker blotters using a single piece of wood, bending it with heat/steam, and securing blotting paper without the need for clamps or screws (basically the paper will slip in and stay.) It all just started and I'm pretty excited with the direction that it's all taking :)

Thanks!

auto winder
October 7th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Welcome to the group, Aaron :welcome:

jar
October 7th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

KrazyIvan
October 7th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Nice start there young padawan. :)

Bogon07
October 7th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Hi Ajzeller and welcome to FPG forum.

Everyone here will do their best to encourage you expanding your collection, just watch or listen to the weekly FPG podcast for juicy items in the high end range which will may you feel a lot better about obtaining those more reasonably priced items.

Feel free to do a more detailed review of Scribal Work Shop ink Kraken in the ink section if you want.

Blotters seem to be a neglected accessory in the world of foutainpenery so I look forward to hearing how your enterprise progresses.

ajzeller
October 7th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I actually have an overview of all of the Scribal Work Shop inks on my blog, and a comparison of Kraken to J. Herbin's Perle Noire and Private Reserve's Velvet black too (http://www.inkonhand.com.)

I felt the same way about blotters. As a left handed writer, mine tend to get quite a bit of mileage and it seems that I either have to use the basic design offered by J. Herbin (which I find way more suited for function over fashion,) or else antiques on ebay. The antiques can be pretty great, but not always the style that I'd prefer. (I'm a big fan of bent wood design and there doesn't seem to be much if any of that around in the FP world, and frankly, I'm all for making things myself anyway :) )

Bogon07
October 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Interesting site with a nicely detailed review comapring those three blacks.
The ink on hand logo is neat too.

I was a bit disappointed that the blue was not called Cryptid Behemoth Blue.

ajzeller
October 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM

I think that everyone has been waiting for a company to create a Behemoth Blue haha

inky
October 9th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Welcome ajzeller! A fellow Midwesterner!

KrazyIvan
October 10th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I am liking the look of that Scribal Work Shop Cryptids - Siren ink.

ajzeller
October 11th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I am liking the look of that Scribal Work Shop Cryptids - Siren ink.

That ink (well the whole line really,) is pretty great! Siren is actually the ink that I've been doing most of my correspondence with lately too. (If you're interested though, Siren is currently the 'ink of the week' at Zeller Writing Company (http://www.ZellerWritingCompany.com) making it only $7.20 for a 60mL bottle :) )

Welcome ajzeller! A fellow Midwesterner!

Thanks!

Sailor Kenshin
October 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
That was a great video ink review! Welcome aboard.

Glad you explained 'Cryptids,'l cos I was thinking Secret Saturdays. :p

ajzeller
October 11th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Thanks, I plan to do quite a few more reviews of different inks and products (both video and text) in the future :)

I never heard of the word Cryptid before this ink, so I had to ask Lucas (the ink's creator,) to explained it haha.