PDA

View Full Version : Left Handers

southpaw52
April 21st, 2010, 11:34 AM
Greetings,

I would like to hear from other southpaws about their experiences using a fountain pen.
What kind of nib works best for you?
Do you prefer one model of fountain pen over another?
Ink preferences, which ink do use and why?
What is your writing style?

I am southpaw, I use fountain pens. I use a variety of models, prefer Shaffer and Waterman. I find that a fine point nib works best for me, I also use a medium, and extra fine. Broad nibs usually put down to wet of a line which smudges easily. My ink preferences vary. In The beginning of my fountain pen journey I used exclusively Noodler's Ink. Noodler's ink is good but not the best for quick drying, or not smudging. Recently I branch out to J Herbin Inks, I like the flow and quickness of drying. They also do not seem to smudge. I have also been trying De Atramentis ink it has been impressive too.
I write with a hook and tend to drag my writing hand across the page, I also slant the paper.
Share your thoughts and thank you.

PMS
April 23rd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Southpaw,
As a lefty, I prefer dryer nibs, fines or mediums, however my Pelikan left oblique cursive Italic (original Pelikan B nib) is great with Visconti Blue (which is a quick drier). On some papers, especially Black n Red, the inks sits on the paper and takes a long tome to dry. I have a Esterbrook 2048 nib, which I use for drawing as I find if I write with it it tends to dig into the paper. I know stay away from Private Reserve inks as I have found them to by slow drying and I generally will smear them. Most of my inks are Noodler's which I have not found to be slow drying. But it just might be the selection that I have. My favorite pens are my vintage Sheaffers followed by my vintage Parkers. My new Watermans are also nice. And like you I slant the paper, mine about 30 degrees to the left.

PMS

Bourgeoisie
April 25th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Even though I am a lefty, I cant stand dry nibs... they have to be wet! I also use some pretty slow drying inks... I get around smears by the way I hold the pen; rather than bending my wrist to an angle (uncomfortable), I keep a straight wrist and tilt the paper to an extreme angle - about 45 degrees.

I like my nibs on the fine/EF side, but my L2K EF write more like a med and it is my favorite.

-Bourgeoisie

laoriginaltec
April 25th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I like my nibs EF and XXF. I tried the Lamy Left handed nib and found it to be too broad for me. My favorite pen at the moment is my Pilot VP with a XXF nib by Richard Binder. I write with my paper at an angle (sorry I don't know the degree of the angle) so it's rare that I smudge what I have written. My favorite inks at the moment are Noodler's Walnut and Diamine Old English Grey. They are wet enough to make my writing a smooth experience, but not too wet that I have to wait forever for it to dry.

bridgettt
May 22nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
I like an XF nib and a fast drying ink. Right now my favorite combo is my Lamy Safari with Iroshizuku Fuyu-Syogun on Doanne Paper. It dries fast enough that I don't get a lot of smear and I write fast. I don't have any bulletproof inks. I would love to hear about what bulletproof inks other lefties use.

Bucolic Buffalo
May 26th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I am surprised Baystate Blue wasn't mentioned as a favorite for the speed at which it dries. At least on cheap recycled copy paper it dries fast.